iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   My oven won't light. Grrrrr. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/my-oven-wont-light-grrrrr-548172.html)

jennjann 08-03-2021 02:48 PM

My oven won't light. Grrrrr.

1 Attachment(s)
After finally getting the pilot light lit, I got a little too excited and was ready to make cookies when I discovered that the oven burner won't light. All of the stovetop burners work great so it's just the oven. It's an original Magic Chef oven from 1985. I have the manual, but it hasn't helped. Can anyone tell what the problem is? Attachment 338236

bobmar 08-03-2021 03:05 PM

I see you have a pilot light, thatís good. Most likely itís the thermocouple thatís bad. That should be the thing connected to the coiled tube. The thermocouple sits in the pilot flame and says it sees a flame and that its ok for the main valve to open (when you set the oven temp) and light the main burner.
Greater minds than mine may have a more thorough answer!

Old-Biscuit 08-03-2021 03:13 PM

YEP....Thermocouple is NOT sensing flame therefore no Flame Proving so No Main Gas Valve opening

I would disassemble and clean thermocouple off with some emery cloth
Soot/Carbon build up will inhibit thermocouple from operating correctly

Good Luck....as parts for that vintage are most likely no longer available

jeff0210 08-03-2021 03:23 PM

it's been my experiance

In most cases all thermacouples are the same. The only real difference is the length. Take the old one off and head off to Lowe's or any hardware and you should be able to find a proper fit. A few inches one way or the other probable won't make a difference. Or you could go to Camping World and pay triple.

jennjann 08-03-2021 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the thermocouple?Attachment 338238

propchef 08-03-2021 03:35 PM

If the thermocouples us bad you wonít hold a pilot light without holding your finger in the valve. If itís a bad thermocouples the pilot will go out as soon as you release the button. If it hold a pilot, look elsewhere for the issue. Wasps and bug build nests and they can block these low pressure tubes.

PABO05 08-03-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propchef (Post 5859000)
If the thermocouples us bad you wonít hold a pilot light without holding your finger in the valve. If itís a bad thermocouples the pilot will go out as soon as you release the button. If it hold a pilot, look elsewhere for the issue. Wasps and bug build nests and they can block these low pressure tubes.

Agreed. THIS IS THE CORECT DIAGNOSIS.:thumb:

hometool 08-03-2021 06:19 PM

oven wont light

i think on that oven the pilot heats a bulb that sits in the pilot flame. the pilot flame is controled buy the thurmostat on call for heat the pilot flame gets larger heating the bulb which opens the valve that controls gas to the oven burner.

jennjann 08-04-2021 10:38 AM

The pilot light doesn't get bigger when I turn the oven on so it doesn't look like it is reaching the place it needs to heat up. I tried adjusting the pilot light. That only increases the size of the stovetop pilot, but doesn't seem to affect the oven pilot. I did stick a bobby pin in the pilot light tube and didn't feel any blockage, but I probably need to take it apart to really check, correct?

spyderRV 08-04-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometool (Post 5859216)
i think on that oven the pilot heats a bulb that sits in the pilot flame. the pilot flame is controled buy the thurmostat on call for heat the pilot flame gets larger heating the bulb which opens the valve that controls gas to the oven burner.

This^^^ The main gas valve is opened by an increase of the pilot light depending on the oven temp setting. If the pilot does not get larger as you turn up the temp than the main gas valve won't open. Mine did the same thing and I had to replace the main gas valve.