iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Spartan Chassis Wandering (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/spartan-chassis-wandering-548270.html)

BiggCountry 08-04-2021 08:10 AM

Spartan Chassis Wandering

I have a 40í Newmar with the Cummins 8.9, itís a 2004 but only has 49k miles, and is a Spartan chassis. When I get this rig over 60, she really wants to start wandering, almost like Iím chasing it. Is there something in the chassis that may need upgrades or replacing. It also seems like the wheel has excessive play. This is my first dp rig so is it possibly just me? I seriously canít take a hand off the wheel over 60 on the interstate. Any help or ideas would be great fully appreciated!! Also, first time poster, newbie!

Busskipper 08-04-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiggCountry (Post 5859847)
I have a 40í Newmar with the Cummins 8.9, itís a 2004 but only has 49k miles, and is a Spartan chassis. When I get this rig over 60, she really wants to start wandering, almost like Iím chasing it. Is there something in the chassis that may need upgrades or replacing. It also seems like the wheel has excessive play. This is my first dp rig so is it possibly just me? I seriously canít take a hand off the wheel over 60 on the interstate. Any help or ideas would be great fully appreciated!! Also, first time poster, newbie!

Get to a good alighnment place and get it alighned - should drive with one finger.

Best of Luck,

hogdriver 08-04-2021 08:18 AM

There’s a bunch of possibilities. Most probably your rig needs an alignment but realize you can’t get a 40ft RV aligned at just any auto place. Make some calls to find a heavy truck alignment place that will do RVs. You might have some worn out tie rod ends or other parts.

First thing is check your tire pressures. You need a truck type gage. Look at your owners manual (if you have one), or search this forum for others with the same RV for the correct tire pressures. Make sure each the tires on the back are all the same pressure and the fronts match each other. The fronts will be something like 110-120-125-130 psi. The rears will be something around 85-90-100 psi. It depends on your tires.

Jake21 08-04-2021 08:43 AM

Also check your front sway bar brackets. I have busted two so far.

Jharrel 08-06-2021 06:54 AM

Spartan parts at 800-722-3025. Have your VIN. I just ordered front sway bar bushings for my 1997 American Eagle. Really a positive experience.

Ray,IN 08-07-2021 03:06 AM

I have a Spartan MM GT chassis, it wandered a lot since I purchased it; took it to a HDT repair shop, they did a total alignment. The rear axle was out of alignment by 3/4", the front was only slightly out of alignment.
Take the alignment specs with you, even though the shops machine was fairly new it contained incorrect specs and the first alignment made things worse.
If I were to do it again I would've had them set castor to the maximum allowance for better tracking on our wonderfully smooth highways.:rolleyes:

Cost was $300 BTW.

BiggCountry 08-07-2021 09:41 AM

Appreciate all your inputs! I will get it to an alignment shop ASAP! Also have them check and set the TP’s for me as well. I have all my manuals but zero maintenance records, have no idea what’s been done to this rig in the past. Just gotta start from scratch and follow all you guys advice. Thanks!!

Ray,IN 08-09-2021 06:15 PM

I had to start from zero too. I bought this MH on consignment, the previous owner had left a stack of paperwork, which the dealer threw away due to privacy law concerns. I did see enough paperwork to learn the PO was the owner of a speedco.