iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Electric Trailer Brake Controller on New Aire Ď21 3545? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/electric-trailer-brake-controller-on-new-aire-21-3545-a-548423.html)

davidcbaker 08-05-2021 09:51 AM

Electric Trailer Brake Controller on New Aire Ď21 3545?

Iím embarrassed to ask this. On a trip in the mountains and electric trailer brakes (aluminum ramp trailer w/ vehicle on it) do not seem to be working. I assumed thereís be a controller in the RV. Apparently not. If there is, I donít see any controls.

Trip is 400 miles total. One mountain range (Monteagle, TN) and otherwise basically flat. Assuming there is NO controller, Iím assuming Iíll be okay by taking it really easy, using engine braking, etc. RV is lightly loaded and trailer/vehicle total weight is 6,000 lbs.

Please be kind. I fly airplanes and helicopters and taught motorcycling, but RVing still has a learning curve for me. :)

jmcarter 08-05-2021 10:18 AM

Others may disagree but with your two stage brake set on high you should be fine. Monteagle isn’t too bad going toward Chattanooga since you have three lanes on the downhill so some zealous truckers can use the middle lane to get around you. In Chattanooga you can stop at Camping World and pick up a Prodigy, you probably have a pigtail under the dash but others can chime in. You’ll be illegal without a brake controller but just go nice and easy, stopped traffic can be surprise at several spots between Monteagle and Chattanooga.

Flyer15015 08-05-2021 10:37 AM

Dave,
A trailer brake controller is not that difficult to wire up yourself.
Tekonsha is the one I have and it works quite well, as it is proportional based on the brake pedal pressure.
Mine is mounted under the dash, left of the steering column.
You do need a 7 pin plug for the trailer.

Mike in Colorado

D20 08-05-2021 10:46 AM

Electric trailer brake controllers do not come as standard equipment, that I know of.

davidcbaker 08-05-2021 11:16 AM

Thanks to each of you for the help. I’ve stopped at Camping World in ‘Nooga and I’ll see if they have one. Really appreciate it.

Rd1 08-05-2021 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A 6000 llbs trailer for your Newair is ok. However, it will impact your braking distance, specially in a downhill.

In all newer Newmars (at least 14 and later), newmar has complete wiring harness for the trailer already wired. Under the steering column, there is a harness (see attached). It is likeyl labeled as' aeA'. The wires are also labeled accordingly. All you need is a typical trailer brake controller from any trailer shop. your harness already has a male/female connector. Disconnect the open wire end connector. Then you can wire that to your trailer controller. Then simply connect the connectors back. You don't even have to mount the controller. I have mine on the floor. **IF NEED BE** I can even apply the 'manual' trailer brakes by my left foot.

davidcbaker 08-05-2021 12:15 PM

Update. I'm at the Camping World in 'Nooga, as suggested above, and they are setting me up.

Thank you again!

FunnwithGunn 08-05-2021 12:19 PM

I bought a REDARC tow pro elite from E-Trailer. The control is completely hidden and the control knob mounts neatly in the dash. Super clean looking on my Dutch Star

Rev. Roy 08-06-2021 01:26 PM

Something overlooked.

There is something in all the replies that was not even mentioned. That is that it is illegal in most states, if not all, to tow that much weight without functioning trailer brakes. Now it's highly unlikely that anyone would know but still illegal. As a side note, the brake controller is an option, a Curt Spectrum Integrated Brake Control, and only on the Spartan chassis.

Dan-DS 08-07-2021 01:55 PM

Newmar does not put in a brake controller but is wired for one. I use Curt Wireless Controller for my trailer since I sometimes tow it with the Jeep and it did not come with a controller either. https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller

R.Wold 08-07-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 5861331)
Others may disagree but with your two stage brake set on high you should be fine. Monteagle isnít too bad going toward Chattanooga since you have three lanes on the downhill so some zealous truckers can use the middle lane to get around you. In Chattanooga you can stop at Camping World and pick up a Prodigy, you probably have a pigtail under the dash but others can chime in. Youíll be illegal without a brake controller but just go nice and easy, stopped traffic can be surprise at several spots between Monteagle and Chattanooga.

If itís in a FL chassis it just has a single stage VGT brake. Probably pretty good on an ISL, but not as good as a jake. I doubt it would be very helpful with an extra 6K lbs behind you. Not sure what the Spartan chassis has for an engine brake.