iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Vin # location ? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/vin-location-548442.html)

Sanchezsw1 08-05-2021 12:12 PM

Vin # location ?

HI all, we’re newbies in the RV world, but in all the excitement and gathering of equipment and “must” have accessories we haven’t been able to register our RV. After returning (2) to the MVD here in NM. We thought we were finally done. Well the third time was a charm. The MVD states that we have to have Two VIN#s to complete registration. We need Help in finding the #on the 1994 Airstream Land Yacht that is on a Chevy Workhorse chassis. (Grandson coming to visit and we’re going to travel to see a ballgame before starting college.) Thanks

edgray 08-05-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanchezsw1 (Post 5861461)
HI all, we’re newbies in the RV world, but in all the excitement and gathering of equipment and “must” have accessories we haven’t been able to register our RV. After returning (2) to the MVD here in NM. We thought we were finally done. Well the third time was a charm. The MVD states that we have to have Two VIN#s to complete registration. We need Help in finding the #on the 1994 Airstream Land Yacht that is on a Chevy Workhorse chassis. (Grandson coming to visit and we’re going to travel to see a ballgame before starting college.) Thanks

A 1994 "Chevy" chassis will not be a "Workhorse", but rather, it will be a Chevy P32 MODEL. The chassis vin # will begin with a "1" and should be 17 digits long. Normally there is only one "VIN #, plus the coach maker's "serial number". I'm GUESSING they are also wanting the Coach serial # which should have been assigned by Air Stream.
"Usually" there is a sticker or label somewhere near the driver's position (on the wall, maybe) that should provide at least the chassis vin #.

Doesn't the paperwork you got from the seller contain at least something that should help?

MrMark52 08-05-2021 12:33 PM

VIN #label on most coaches usually found in the coach around the drivers area. Includes both chassis and coach VIN’s along with GVWR, original tire sizes, recommended tire inflation pressures, etc..

Chassis VIN can also often be found around radiator, on engine block (assuming original engine). You might pick up a copy (easily downloaded from this and other sites) of the Chevy Motorhome Chassis Manual.
Coach VIN can be in a closet or on closet door, a drawer label, just about anywhere.

A word of caution on your chassis - if your coach has independent front suspension - and the driver side bell crank has not been replaced with a SuperSteer type, don’t think twice about replacing it. You might consider both driver and passenger side.
I’ve written about what I found on our ‘91 coach that we got in ‘18 with 17k miles on it. Do. A search on my posts and you should be able to find it. But my front end steering linkage was all worn out at 17k miles.