iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Dash A/C Blower Depends on MPH (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/dash-a-c-blower-depends-on-mph-550843.html)

KenTep 08-22-2021 08:04 PM

Dash A/C Blower Depends on MPH

The chassis AC in our 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA does a great job keeping the driver and passenger area cool. However, the amount of air coming out of the registers is dependent on our traveling speed. When stopped, the lowest blower setting produces a good amount of airflow, but as we speed up, the airflow drops off and I have to increase the blower setting. At 65 mph, the blower needs to be at the 5th setting to produce good air flow.

Does anyone else have this behavior?

orit1350 08-22-2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenTep (Post 5884118)
The chassis AC in our 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA does a great job keeping the driver and passenger area cool. However, the amount of air coming out of the registers is dependent on our traveling speed. When stopped, the lowest blower setting produces a good amount of airflow, but as we speed up, the airflow drops off and I have to increase the blower setting. At 65 mph, the blower needs to be at the 5th setting to produce good air flow.

Does anyone else have this behavior?

my 2019 bus doing the same thing. Tiffin do not have explanation for that, like they never heard of it. i assume, it is the air flow in gen area, creating vacuum in higher speed

DRM901 08-23-2021 07:31 AM

Is the recirulate on? Does it makes any difference when it is on vs not? If it is not on, that would support the idea of a vacuum in the gen area.

KenTep 09-22-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM901 (Post 5884534)
Is the recirulate on? Does it makes any difference when it is on vs not? If it is not on, that would support the idea of a vacuum in the gen area.

I finally got the RV out on the highway today. Turning recirculate on definitely makes a difference. At the lowest fan speed and at 50 mph, with recirculate off, there is no airflow. With recirculate on, the airflow is strong.

Any suggests on how to identify the exact cause and possible fix?

Is the a Freightliner or Tiffin issue?

redbaron73 09-22-2021 09:07 PM

This is somewhat normal as when fresh air mode is on, the intake air is directly open to the front. Your coach design is allowing a direct flow of air into the airbox.

There is also no filtration, so using fresh air should be done with caution. Also don't park with fresh air engaged, as bugs can come straight in.

VanDiemen23 09-22-2021 10:46 PM

are you sure this isn't a change in DC voltage with RPM?

thegats1 09-23-2021 08:30 AM

I know a fellow owner of a Red 340 like mine. Here is an excerpt of an e-mail he sent me recently. It may be unrelated to your issues, but not sure.

"I received a phone call from the mechanical department telling me my air conditioner was fixed, even though that was not on my list. That would be the chassis air conditioner. I have noticed that it was not putting out like I thought it should, but just figured it is what it is. The tech who called me said the belt was routed incorrectly which caused the A/C not to function as it should."

KenTep 09-23-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbaron73 (Post 5924369)
This is somewhat normal as when fresh air mode is on, the intake air is directly open to the front. Your coach design is allowing a direct flow of air into the airbox.

There is also no filtration, so using fresh air should be done with caution. Also don't park with fresh air engaged, as bugs can come straight in.

It did occur to me that driving with recirculate on in the RV is probably okay since the overall air tightness of the coach is probably not great, unlike in a car where the air can get stale and the windows fog up.

However, I don't think the drastic reduction in air flow at the same fan speed is normal or many others would have reported similar behavior.

KenTep 09-23-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 (Post 5924452)
are you sure this isn't a change in DC voltage with RPM?

If there is a change in DC voltage at faster-speeds/higher-rpms, I would expect the voltage to go up and the air flow to increase. Did you have a different effect in mind?

VanDiemen23 09-23-2021 04:19 PM

Sorry - missed that detail...

DRM901 09-24-2021 08:10 AM

Our dash AC seems to blow a little more when it is on recirculate, but not a lot.

It is a chassis issue, but you'll need to find a shop that does AC work.

KenTep 09-28-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM901 (Post 5926017)
Our dash AC seems to blow a little more when it is on recirculate, but not a lot.

It is a chassis issue, but you'll need to find a shop that does AC work.

As as chassis issue, my first thought would be to take it to Freightliner. Would you know if such a problem would be covered under the Freightliner warranty?

DRM901 09-28-2021 10:25 PM

It can't hurt to try, but I don't thin it would be a warranty item.

neilj 10-05-2021 09:59 AM

Mine does exactly the same thing. Would like to know if it is really an issue and if so who fixes it. I'm still under warranty until April, for the coach that is.