iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class B Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   All Electric Class B (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/all-electric-class-b-552980.html)

rvtraveler10 09-07-2021 01:47 PM

All Electric Class B

I'm looking at a 2021 or 22 American Coach Patriot, all electric MD2. Does anyone own one?

radar 09-07-2021 02:20 PM

You kind of freaked me out for a minute. I thought it was an all electric line EV type drivetrain. That would be cool.

Anyway. Went to their website. Some nice floor plans. Class B’s are getting super popular it seems.

Hope you find your dream ride. :).

Cheers.

Rocky ARV 09-08-2021 10:22 AM

If interested in all electric, look at Advanced RV. Bit of a wait on new builds, but they do have a few pre-owned units.

LA-Hodag2 09-09-2021 08:51 AM

Hi Traveler. You are probably aware that the Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD-2 is the essentially the same unit with different branding. REV Group, which owns American Coach, purchased MAD, which designed and makes the vans, a couple of years ago. MAD makes the B vans under both brands. Both have the same gorgeous interior options. The interiors are what really set these brands apart from some of the other converters at this pricepoint.

Not apples to apples, but we converted our 2018 Midwest Automotive MD-2 to similar specs as the all electric Patriot-- 600ah lithium batteries and the same 20,000 btu 12 volt Pro-Air roof air conditioner. We love the MD-2 layout and the usability of the power system as re-configured. Primary differences between ours and what you are considering are different chassis year, which does change interior layout slightly, plus we kept the existing propane fueled water heater and generator that ours came with, which the all electric version does not have.

Happy to answer questions if I can be of help.

Bryan

OBG 09-25-2021 08:13 AM

Be very careful about Advanced RV (ARV) used units - "Buyer Beware." I purchased a used ARV unit in July and returned it for a full refund in September. It was supposed to be inspected by ARV. It was obvious on the day of delivery that it wasn't. In the less than the two months we owned the unit it had many cosmetic and functional issues. The last straw was when the house battery system shut down and the inverter failed. The house battery problem was a repeat problem experienced by the owner before me and returned to ARV for the same reason. The house battery system is proprietary to ARV. Repairs and upgrades to that system must be performed through ARV. Functional failures continued to accumulate through the day we delivered the unit back to ARV. Fortunately ARV bought the unit back for our full purchase price plus a portion of our repair expenses.

Boxster1971 09-28-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBG (Post 5927120)
Be very careful about Advanced RV (ARV) used units - "Buyer Beware." I purchased a used ARV unit in July and returned it for a full refund in September. It was supposed to be inspected by ARV. It was obvious on the day of delivery that it wasn't. In the less than the two months we owned the unit it had many cosmetic and functional issues. The last straw was when the house battery system shut down and the inverter failed. The house battery problem was a repeat problem experienced by the owner before me and returned to ARV for the same reason. The house battery system is proprietary to ARV. Repairs and upgrades to that system must be performed through ARV. Functional failures continued to accumulate through the day we delivered the unit back to ARV. Fortunately ARV bought the unit back for our full purchase price plus a portion of our repair expenses.

Which ARV did you buy? They have changed the battery system over the years. Were they mounted in a sealed box under the van? Good to know they bought it back and made you whole.

OBG 09-29-2021 08:05 AM

We bought a 2016 unit called "Wave". The battery was a 4 cell, 800 AH unit mounted in a box under the rear of the chassis. The BMS was mounted there also. The battery system had been replaced before we purchased the unit. Before purchase I asked who's battery ARV used and the response was "we use our own". When the system failed I asked again and the response was that the battery and BMS are custom made for ARV. That was an unclear answer from my perspective.

ARV made the buy back process painless (other than having to get the unit back to their facility). The transaction was efficient and friendly.

Boxster1971 09-29-2021 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OBG (Post 5932222)
We bought a 2016 unit called "Wave". The battery was a 4 cell, 800 AH unit mounted in a box under the rear of the chassis. The BMS was mounted there also. The battery system had been replaced before we purchased the unit. Before purchase I asked who's battery ARV used and the response was "we use our own". When the system failed I asked again and the response was that the battery and BMS are custom made for ARV. That was an unclear answer from my perspective.

ARV made the buy back process painless (other than having to get the unit back to their facility). The transaction was efficient and friendly.

Thanks for the info. That battery was the Elite Power Solutions system that ARV used for years. They may still be using those but most of their recent information shows the Valance lithium batteries from Lithion with built in BMS. I'm attaching a white-paper that ARV published a few years ago about their lithium batteries FYI.

Here is a link to the Elite Power Solutions batteries:
https://www.elitepowersolutions.com/...-ion-batteries

Rocinante440 09-29-2021 07:01 PM

I'm sorry you had that experience with ARV, but one must admit that their willingness to buy it back and make you whole was a pretty strong customer-focused move. I don't know of any other RV manufacturer out there that would do the same.

BTW, I just visited their website, and it looks like the van they called KISS is still available. No idea why that one doesn't seem to have sold yet, as it's very cool.

Boxster1971 09-30-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocinante440 (Post 5932895)
. . .

. . . BTW, I just visited their website, and it looks like the van they called KISS is still available. No idea why that one doesn't seem to have sold yet, as it's very cool.

Kiss is a new ARV spec built van, not for a customer. It does have very nice features. I suspect it is the price that is slowing the sale. When somebody has to pay that much they want it built their way. Someone will eventually buy it.

Rocinante440 10-01-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 5934187)
Kiss is a new ARV spec built van, not for a customer. It does have very nice features. I suspect it is the price that is slowing the sale. When somebody has to pay that much they want it built their way. Someone will eventually buy it.

Yup, I knew it was a spec van. I mostly think it's a great floor plan. For example, we would love to have our bikes inside vs. outside on a carrier, which this van allows. We don't love that the driver's seat has a wall so close behind it that the seat can't be turned around for use as a forward lounge, but aside from that, very nice indeed. I agree, the price point is likely off-putting, as is the case with any unit from ARV. They don't come cheap.

MarkSaxton 10-07-2021 02:35 PM

My class B is all electric. For clarity, to me, that just means I don't have propane plumbed in the van. Its an after-market upfit of a 2018 Sprinter Cargo Van.

30A 120V breaker panel and a 300AH Lithium battery, inverter / charger, 160W of roof mounted solar, 2nd alternator. 120V needed for stove top, microwave / convection combo oven, Air Conditioner. The fridge uses 120V if it finds it, 12V if no 120V is present. The rest of the van is 12V, lots of cabin lights, some usb outlets, the cabin heater fan and fuel pump, the fresh water pump.

Overall, I like the electric system. Some caveats -

For cabin heating I have a diesel furnace that uses the engine tank for fuel and a 12V fuel pump.

I don't use the electric stove top. I carry a 10lb propane tank and I cook outdoors with a camp stove. If I had an indoor propane stove, I'd still use the camp stove outdoors, but I wouldn't need to carry the 10lb tank. I can use the indoor range if the weather makes cooking outdoors impossible, but I'd be running the van engine while I do it. For me, all-electric vs including a propane system comes down to the trade-offs between installed propane plumbing and a permanent tank mount vs carrying a 10lb tank, which I don't mind doing.

Some comments on my electrical system in general, which are not really related to whether or not I also have propane installed -

The 2nd alternator provides plenty of current. I run the engine if I need the A/C off-grid or am using the coffee maker because they really hit the battery hard. I have a Balmar regulator on the alternator.. I don't find the charging algorithm in the regulator very helpful - it dumps a lot of current into the battery initially but tapers off very quickly to a trickle as the voltage rises. If I drive all day, the battery is fully charged, but usually after 10-15 minutes of idling the engine the charge current is quite low. I know Lithium batteries have a brick-wall voltage vs state of charge and its not necessarily a Balmar algorithm problem, more the nature of the beast. So the 2nd alternator is very practical if I have a need for powering some appliance on-demand, less useful for charging the battery on-demand. Shore power charging to full takes a few hours, as well.

The house 12V system is 100% isolated from the coach 12V system so there is no way for me to drain the coach battery inadvertently. There is no isolation switch that I can close in order to short the two, and I don't want one, being concerned about mistakenly leaving it closed.

In the summer the 160W on the roof keeps up with the fridge and the cabin lights if I am parked in the sun. I usually am not, I prefer the shade, and I expect to net roughly 20% loss of my battery charge per day if I never run the engine. If I run the engine daily for 15 minutes (when I am making coffee in the morning is usually when I do it) or so I can roughly stay even in semi-sun conditions.

After 3 years and 30k+ miles I am fine with my decision to not install a propane system in my rig.

OBG 10-08-2021 07:43 AM

Thanks for the post Mark. A couple of questions.

What are you using to heat water, electric or diesel (or both).

Which battery manufacture did you chose? Was there a specific reason you went with that manufacturer?

Thanks,

Steve

MarkSaxton 10-08-2021 09:17 AM

I use both.

I have a unit called "Comfort Hot".

https://rixens.com/collections/comfort-hot

Its an anti-freeze reservoir with an electric heating element inside it. When on shore power, I use this, it heats both water and the van cabin by running whatever needs to be heated through a heat exchanger that takes heat from the anti-freeze.

When off-grid, the cabin furnace (Espar) is also a tankless water heater. It works fine if the flow is steady, and usually the flow is NOT steady. :-P. When I'm doing dishes I'll fill a tub with hot water.

I didn't know anything about batteries when I got my upfit done and I went with what the upfitter used - its a NexGen 300AH battery. The form factor works well, no complaints. Now that I've learned some about batteries, I doubt I'd have picked this one, it doesn't come up in any searches I've done, I probably would never have come across it.