iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Trailer brake controller (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/trailer-brake-controller-553217.html)

whalepirot 09-30-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroadfun (Post 5932129)
I'm confused by your post. Are you saying the Curt is good, not good? Are you recommending a different unit? :confused:

It seems my post was changed, eliminating part of it.

I returned the Curt and mounted the hard-wired AutoWbrake (.com) into the trailer's circuits, then performed the simple calibration.

I got the Curt to work using another's phone after curt reported the linked phone must have location enabled for pairing.

One tow vehicle's socket angles downward, exposing the 7-8" long Curt and trailer wire too low to the road for comfort. Also, it has only the snugness into the socket and a small wraparound velcro strap to hold it in place.

I've zero interest in geo-location reported to whomever, nor another e-device on my dash.

If a trailer sway issue arises, quick emergency application of its brakes is the solution, which, in the curt case, requires a handy phone, constant displaying their app.

Others choose differently. With the AutoWbrake's hard wire solution, I have one less piece of hitch equipment to deal with; the simplicity being appealing.

LETMGROW 09-30-2021 10:08 AM

Thank you. It's clear now and seems as though you made a god decision.

offroadfun 09-30-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whalepirot (Post 5933351)
It seems my post was changed, eliminating part of it.

I returned the Curt and mounted the hard-wired AutoWbrake (.com) into the trailer's circuits, then performed the simple calibration.

I got the Curt to work using another's phone after curt reported the linked phone must have location enabled for pairing.

One tow vehicle's socket angles downward, exposing the 7-8" long Curt and trailer wire too low to the road for comfort. Also, it has only the snugness into the socket and a small wraparound velcro strap to hold it in place.

I've zero interest in geo-location reported to whomever, nor another e-device on my dash.

If a trailer sway issue arises, quick emergency application of its brakes is the solution, which, in the curt case, requires a handy phone, constant displaying their app.

Others choose differently. With the AutoWbrake's hard wire solution, I have one less piece of hitch equipment to deal with; the simplicity being appealing.

Good to hear you found something that will work for you. But you are misinformed on the operation of the Curt unit. You don't have to have your phone connected to it for it to operate normally. Only if you want to have the ability to activate it on command. Once it's programmed, it will work on it's own without the phone being connected to it. Just the initial connection and programming. It wont hang down on the vehicle I will be using it with and the locking tab on the connector cover and the velcro strap holding it should be sufficient for my needs.

whalepirot 10-01-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroadfun (Post 5933600)
you are misinformed on the operation of the Curt unit. You don't have to have your phone connected to it for it to operate normally. Only if you want to have the ability to activate it on command. Once it's programmed, it will work on it's own without the phone being connected to it.

Okay. My info came from a CS rep at Curt. I used it unpaired, knowing I had no EMER capability with it, ex: trailer sway. For $300+, I returned it and paid a small amount more for full capability

I hope it works as you need.