iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   NFS MVU maps and road numbers (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/nfs-mvu-maps-and-road-numbers-553422.html)

Bobby F 09-10-2021 02:53 PM

NFS MVU maps and road numbers

I boondock mostly, and I've always loved the NFS Motor Vehicle Use maps. But, their road numbering system never matches the numbers used on Google Maps.

Same basic format - "661.2k" or similar. But the numbers always, always differ.

I'm on what the NFS map calls "781.1B", but Google calls it "661.1B" .

Am I missing something basic? Is there a cross-ref somewhere?

Backcountry1 09-10-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby F (Post 5908997)
I boondock mostly, and I've always loved the NFS Motor Vehicle Use maps. But, their road numbering system never matches the numbers used on Google Maps.

Same basic format - "661.2k" or similar. But the numbers always, always differ.

I'm on what the NFS map calls "781.1B", but Google calls it "661.1B" .

Am I missing something basic? Is there a cross-ref somewhere?

Are you saying that when you look at Google Maps (either when on or not on that particular said road) that Google Maps shows a different name for the road than the NFS map does? I have found that both Google and Apple Maps can and do use different numbers/names for the same road in many instances. (A county road 1 on Google maps shows up as 123 road on Apple Maps). I’ve also been on the FS road looking at the sign and Apple Maps says “Forest Service Road” or no designation at all.

If you are using the NFS MVUM as a guide, and then trying to cross reference it to your Google Maps as your navigation I would recommend you trying using the MVUM as the navigation by itself. Avenza Maps allows you to download the MVUM map, then with location on for the app it will GPS your location and show it up on the Avenza app… and on the MVUM map. I use the app this way when out on NFS lands so I know exactly where I am in comparison to the MVUM and roads.

Bobby F 09-10-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backcountry1 (Post 5909035)
Avenza Maps allows you to download the MVUM map, then with location on for the app it will GPS your location and show it up on the Avenza app…

Cool. Thank you. I will try that tonight. Sounds like what I need. I just like to be able to see that moving dot, and not guess where I am.

Backcountry1 09-10-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby F (Post 5909111)
Cool. Thank you. I will try that tonight. Sounds like what I need. I just like to be able to see that moving dot, and not guess where I am.

Yep it’ll do just that for you!! It works out pretty well, and when I use it I go back and forth between the MVUM and satellite image on normal mapping system so I can see the terrain too if need be.

Gammel 09-17-2021 02:29 PM

But if you're trying to reference roads that have dispersed camping against the MVU map you will go crazy because there's no rhyme or reason to their road numbering!

Rexlion 09-18-2021 08:58 PM

I never knew much about Avenza. Thanks, you've sold me. Hard to believe the app and maps are free, yet will provide live GPS tracking while driving the forest roads and hiking the trails. MVUMs and topo maps all in one place.

Gammel 09-19-2021 12:38 PM

Not many Avenza maps are free. You could go broke stockpiling a useful collection most of which can be accessed for free elsewhere. Granted it might be worth it to you to have them all under the Avenza app brolly but being a geographer and cheapskate I'll carry on with my methods.