iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   V-10 Serpentine Belt Life (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/v-10-serpentine-belt-life-553498.html)

mbutts 09-11-2021 11:31 AM

V-10 Serpentine Belt Life

I have a 2017 Ford chassis with 28,000 miles on it. I replaced the original serpentine belt about two years ago due to slipping/squeaking. The "new" belt is just starting to squeak at me during acceleration.

Just curious what life other people get out of these belts. It's not a huge cost or big repair, but I thought I would get a LOT longer life.

ga traveler 09-11-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutts (Post 5909771)
I have a 2017 Ford chassis with 28,000 miles on it. I replaced the original serpentine belt about two years ago due to slipping/squeaking. The "new" belt is just starting to squeak at me during acceleration.

Just curious what life other people get out of these belts. It's not a huge cost or big repair, but I thought I would get a LOT longer life.

Continantial makes

a belt that is cross cut. It is especially made to run quite. I have installed several for my customers. Every single person was happy with the results. I have been running one on my 1999 f53 for about 6 years and it is still great.
I highly reccommend this belt.

mbutts 09-11-2021 04:52 PM

I used a Gates belt the last time so I'll order a Continental tonight. Thanks for the tip!

swampdog2 09-11-2021 04:58 PM

Was your old belt Bad or just chirping ? My belt has been chirping for 27000 miles !

twinboat 09-11-2021 06:00 PM

Ford recommends replacing the belt at 90,000 miles.

If its slipping and squealing, find out why.

Bad fan clutch, restricted air flow, a bunch of bad batteries, overcharged AC system,.....

TeJay 09-11-2021 09:06 PM

The average person doing some DIY scheduled maintenance or just service does not realize when it comes to belts, coolant hoses etc, there are differences in quality. Sometimes those differences surface by not lasting as longer or start squeaking much sooner than an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) product.

I'm reminded years ago when I still did exhaust work. I ordered a "Y" pipe for an exhaust and it didn't fit. I took it back and they did have the correct replacement. When I picked it up it was much heavier than the other one. Not because it was that much different or longer but because it was made to OEM specifications and was much thicker than the one I originally had.

Remember when a stock exhaust lasted say 4 or 5 or 6 or more years? When you did replace it the newer one lasted maybe 2 or 3 years. These days for various reasons exhausts last so much longer. I can't remember the last time I replaced a muffler or any part of an exhaust. In fact most parts houses don't even carry exhausts. Maybe they can be ordered I don't know!!!

I was also told when replacing a Honda timing belt always buy from a dealership. The replacement Honda belts lasted as long as the original ones did which was in the 70,000 mile range. When i buy a new Ford serpentine belt it will be from the dealer.

There may be some replacement companies that meet or exceed OEM Specs. I just don't know. I've heard The Continental belts are as good as OEM.

HarryStone 09-11-2021 11:26 PM

I have 45K miles on my rig, and the belt is still quiet. I'm with TwinBoat. Find out why it's making noise. Mis-aligned pulley, bad idler, overloading the belt. ETC.

dabrooks 09-12-2021 07:21 AM

I replaced the idler pulleys and serpentine belt at 88,000 miles. The belt was not making any noise. Everything was replaced with OEM parts. The old parts are now carried as spares.

ga traveler 09-12-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutts (Post 5910094)
I used a Gates belt the last time so I'll order a Continental tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Let us know how it works for you. People should not blindly follow advice on IRV2. Some is great some not so good. The biggest thing I miss about being retired is going to the dealer show in Louisville every December. All the manufacturers were there. I spent a lot of time at the Ford chassis display. The engineer that designed the V10 was there. We were big buddies until I criticized the water ingestion repair on the early V10s. I said that Banks had made a fortune on improving the air intake on gas engines. The Ford answer was to surround the air intake with plastic baffling and restrict the airflow. He got red and informed me that Ford only gave him a few dollars to cure the water intake problem and that was the best he could do within the budget.
I should have realized he would have been the one to come up with the repair.
After talking to many people at the show, I found the F53 with the V10 engine is prone to belt chirping. Something about the tight turns and routing. Not all do it, but a lot of them.
The crosscut belt solved the problem, according to several different sources and my own results.

mbutts 09-12-2021 10:22 AM

Swampdog2: Just starting to chirp. The OEM belt did the same thing and I let it go until it was squealing most of the time while accelerating.

I couldn't find a misalignment or overload situation last time and I used the exact OEM replacement belt. I just figured that a design compromise from stuffing that giant V-10 into the van chassis OR the fact that the MH sits for 6+ months in storage every winter was causing it. I do run it every 30 days in the wintertime, but it spends most of its life gathering dust :sad:

I have ordered the Continental belt and, if you don't hear from me in two years, you'll know that fixed it :laugh:

tap4154 09-12-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutts (Post 5910094)

As twinboat said, I would check to find out why it's chirping. Spin all the pulleys to make sure no bearings are bad. Also make sure you get the correct length belt. Your tensioner should still be good, but maybe replace that as well. I put a new Gates belt on several thousand miles ago, mainly just because the original was 10 years old. But neither of them chirped. Mine is an early January 2010 engine, and it takes the 99.5" belt. For some unknown reason, after that they switched to 100.4" belt. Personally, I think many people that are having chirping or funny belt noises at certain RPMs should put on a 99.5" belt and see what happens.

Iceman-31D 09-13-2021 10:02 AM

I have had a 2006, 2007, and a 2013 v10 F53 and never had any chirping from the serpentine belt. However, a camper beside me told of his F53 still chirping after replacing the belt, took it back in, and discovered the "auto tension" pulley spring was weak... Don't know how you measure the tension that is supposed to be in that tensioner, but have it checked when you get the belt changed.

jpstakun 09-13-2021 11:22 AM

I had a 2001 National Tropical with the 310 HP V-10 and when I sold it 15 years later and 65000 miles, it had the original OEM serpantine belt. I had it checked by a reliable mechanic periodically, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Mnflyboy 09-13-2021 09:37 PM

Earlier conversation (12/2020) about adding a second idler pulley to eliminate belt noise.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/best...10-518788.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1622455749