iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Lubricating F250 7-way plug and 30 Amp cord (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/lubricating-f250-7-way-plug-and-30-amp-cord-553642.html)

bro61021 09-12-2021 12:53 PM

Lubricating F250 7-way plug and 30 Amp cord
 
We have a 33ft Travel Trailer with a 30amp plug and an F250 with a 30amp receiver (7-way Plug) that needs to be lubricated. Advanced Auto recommended using CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to clean the contacts and Dielectric Grease to lubricate. Is this safe to do with the power off (key out) and the battery connected?

Martian 09-12-2021 03:36 PM

Put a little bulb grease on the trailer end and plug it into the truck. Done. The only 30 amp plug you have is the one that goes to the pedestal.

Bigd9 09-12-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bro61021 (Post 5910968)
We have a 33ft Travel Trailer with a 30amp plug and an F250 with a 30amp receiver (7-way Plug) that needs to be lubricated. Advanced Auto recommended using CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to clean the contacts and Dielectric Grease to lubricate. Is this safe to do with the power off (key out) and the battery connected?

On the TT 30 amp plug, I would take a Dremel Tool with a wire brush attachment and clean the spades. One can also use a nail file or even fine sandpaper to clean the spades.

Then lightly coat the spades with Dielectric Grease, sometimes called, as Martian pointed out, bulb grease. Also, sometimes use Original WD40 for this.


I'm a little confused on the "F250 with a 30amp receiver (7-way Plug)" question. If it is the plug for the truck lights to Travel Trailer then yes. you can easily clean it and lightly grease it with bulb grease. If it is a 30 amp, then more information is needed before any recommendations can be made.

bro61021 09-13-2021 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd9 (Post 5911322)
On the TT 30 amp plug, I would take a Dremel Tool with a wire brush attachment and clean the spades. One can also use a nail file or even fine sandpaper to clean the spades.

Then lightly coat the spades with Dielectric Grease, sometimes called, as Martian pointed out, bulb grease. Also, sometimes use Original WD40 for this.


I'm a little confused on the "F250 with a 30amp receiver (7-way Plug)" question. If it is the plug for the truck lights to Travel Trailer then yes. you can easily clean it and lightly grease it with bulb grease. If it is a 30 amp, then more information is needed before any recommendations can be made.

Sorry I am not technical and struggled with the name of the female connector on the truck. It's what truck tow vehicles have. I guess it's 12 volts. I would like to clean that and wanted to know if it's safe to spray the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner with the battery connected.
Thanks

Bigd9 09-13-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bro61021 (Post 5911937)
Sorry I am not technical and struggled with the name of the female connector on the truck. It's what truck tow vehicles have. I guess it's 12 volts. I would like to clean that and wanted to know if it's safe to spray the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner with the battery connected.
Thanks

Yes. No problem.

Remember, when "greasing" the pins, less is better. Don't over do it. As the 1950's Brylcreem ad used to indicate, "A little dab'll do ya."

bigchick 09-14-2021 10:11 AM

i use the crc qa electronic cleaner. i put a small amount on the 7-pin cable plug and the receptacle on the truck with the batteries attached. i also spray it on both ends of the 50 amp shore power cord and the receptacle on the trailer when not connected. one can of the spray lasts a real long time. just a maintenance type thing that i do.

corn18 09-16-2021 06:32 AM

Deoxit. Best stuff ever. I squirt that stuff on everything. Use it on electrical anything. I also used it on my corroded hose fittings on my house and it worked wonders. I hate dielectric grease. Always ends up on my glasses for some reason.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9JN0PM...&sprefix=deoxi


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.