iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   KZ Connect Safety Recall (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/kz-connect-safety-recall-553678.html)

4everlooking 11-21-2021 03:19 PM

Checked today and yes mine is one that needs replaced. I'll wait till spring but will make changes then. Thanks again for the heads up.

Dgarrison688 11-22-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankjc1 (Post 5911252)
I own a 2021 KZ C272FK and just received a Safety Recall notice stating that due to an engineering error the tongue weight is to lite. This explains why I ended up sliding sideways down the highway. I've owned this camper a few short months it has a great floor plan but you're risking your life if you tow it. KZ says they need to remove the axles and relocate them reward about 7.5" all I need to do is tow it to an authorized dealer for the repair. I asked if they would tow it and how about a fair exchange? Nope, "all you want is a new camper." Ahh yeah cause that's what I paid for! You tow it and we'll fix it with our new engineering design that's it.

What would you do?

I am an rv technician and literally just got done doing this recall on a unit 10 minutes ago, no need to worry ots an easy fix,you will lose your camper for 2 or 3 days which sucks but the job is easy, just time consuming to do it properly. As far as the J wrap "side skirt" and fender flares the factory supplies all brand new to replace the old, and the one I just did looks better than before and is now safe to you. Take it to the dealer don't waste or lose money trading in or fighting the manufacturer.

mikemcbsr 11-22-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgarrison688 (Post 5993997)
I am an rv technician and literally just got done doing this recall on a unit 10 minutes ago, no need to worry ots an easy fix,you will lose your camper for 2 or 3 days which sucks but the job is easy, just time consuming to do it properly. As far as the J wrap "side skirt" and fender flares the factory supplies all brand new to replace the old, and the one I just did looks better than before and is now safe to you. Take it to the dealer don't waste or lose money trading in or fighting the manufacturer.

The TSB quotes 12 man hours. Was this accurate? Did you bolt the hangers on or weld them?

lisaz 11-23-2021 09:24 AM

I would absolutely want every penny that I paid for it refunded on return of the dangerously improperly engineered trailer!! The most simple scale check prior to mass manufacturing would have shown the error!

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

frankjc1 11-26-2021 08:57 AM

Longevity
 
I'm not sure but I believe KZ shops out their frames and then assembles the TT. If this is so KZ is likely recouping their losses from the frame manufacturer. Additionally, KZ was very quick to classify this as a Warranty issue even though it is a Recall. The definition of warranty and a recall are substantially different and I believe gives KZ a way out should the repair fail sometime later; which brings me to my next concern. No matter how the remedy came about there is no history as to the effectiveness of their resolution, yes it may work for now but for how long? I for one am not comfortable with the thought of hauling my TT at highway speeds to the sudden realization the axles tore off and are now in someones windshield while I go skidding down the road.
I believe KZ is in a position to replace all of the effected Travel Trailers with new updated TTs, recoup their losses from the frame manufacturer and provide good costumer service. By passing their responsibility off onto the dealership they likely maintain their profit, recoup their costs for the repair, call it a warranty issue and absolve themselves of future claims once the warranty expires and claim that the dealership is at fault if there is further issues as they are the ones who administered the repair. Of course this is just an opinion.
I did try to trade in my 2021 TT for a different unit at a different dealership, they offered me $10,000 less then what I paid for it. Is it depreciation or a market reaction?

mikemcbsr 11-27-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankjc1 (Post 5997778)
I'm not sure but I believe KZ shops out their frames and then assembles the TT. If this is so KZ is likely recouping their losses from the frame manufacturer. Additionally, KZ was very quick to classify this as a Warranty issue even though it is a Recall. The definition of warranty and a recall are substantially different and I believe gives KZ a way out should the repair fail sometime later; which brings me to my next concern. No matter how the remedy came about there is no history as to the effectiveness of their resolution, yes it may work for now but for how long? I for one am not comfortable with the thought of hauling my TT at highway speeds to the sudden realization the axles tore off and are now in someones windshield while I go skidding down the road.
I believe KZ is in a position to replace all of the effected Travel Trailers with new updated TTs, recoup their losses from the frame manufacturer and provide good costumer service. By passing their responsibility off onto the dealership they likely maintain their profit, recoup their costs for the repair, call it a warranty issue and absolve themselves of future claims once the warranty expires and claim that the dealership is at fault if there is further issues as they are the ones who administered the repair. Of course this is just an opinion.
I did try to trade in my 2021 TT for a different unit at a different dealership, they offered me $10,000 less then what I paid for it. Is it depreciation or a market reaction?

I believe the frames on our units are supplied by Norco-BAL. I would suspect that the "engineering error" is the fault of KZ as the supplier would build to their specs. Norco was consulted and engineered the replacement hangers and likely the procedure for the replacement. The original hangers are welded on and the replacements are to be bolted on with 3/8-16 bolts and a deformed lock nut from what I understand. KZ says that Norco has stopped welding on the hangers on new builds and have reverted to bolting them on. The difference is they are huck bolted whereas the safety recall hangers are bolted with conventional hardware. When I asked why are the replacement hangers not welded or huck bolted their answer is that one requires a certified welder and the other requires specialized tools, neither of which most dealerships have. My suspicion is KZ used the same frame from the previous generation of this model, which was redesigned for 2021, and there the problem began...as I said this is just my suspicion.
As for the trade in, 10K below your purchase price seems about right to me. For a dealer to deflect a buyer from a new unit to a used unit there has to be a substantial savings to the buyer to consider doing that and leave profit for the dealer.
My concern with all of this is that it is done right by competent people with experience with metal work and axle alignment. I don't want this problem to create other problems like excess tire wear, etc. There was a unit where it was found that the axles were already misaligned before starting the work to relocate the hangers and the tires had excessive uneven wear already. The procedure is to measure off the new location from the existing hangers. Good thing that shop checked first...and that is not in the procedure I have seen. Good luck to us all.

Dgarrison688 12-06-2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcbsr (Post 5994578)
The TSB quotes 12 man hours. Was this accurate? Did you bolt the hangers on or weld them?

It took me 18.5, it was the first one our dealership had done so it took me a little longer than expected and I was the only tech working on it. So I'd have to say its close but the factory never pays or allots adequate time for us to do anything

Dgarrison688 12-06-2021 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcbsr (Post 5994578)
The TSB quotes 12 man hours. Was this accurate? Did you bolt the hangers on or weld them?

And forgot to mention in the last response it is a bolt on kit that they supply to us, which is honestly what takes so long you have to drill a 3/8 hole 5 per hanger and you have to cut the old ones off the frame without damaging it. Not a hard job to do but definitely frustrating as hell

4everlooking 12-06-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4everlooking (Post 5993087)
Checked today and yes mine is one that needs replaced. I'll wait till spring but will make changes then. Thanks again for the heads up.

Just talked to my dealership concerning the propane regulator recall. I'm on the list for having it done, whenever the parts come in. There are none available anywhere in the country, don't know if or when there will be. But at least I'm on a waiting list.:banghead:

JillandBud 12-07-2021 05:13 AM

We have given up on the warranty
 
We are about to become full time RVer’s. I think we were lucky in finding a welding shop to do our frame…the axels are welded and the shop warrants their work. The only issue we had was that we thought we had no brakes and they spent about an hour checking lines, etc. before they realized the self adjusting brakes had come out of adjustment. By the time we cautiously got the trailer home the brakes were back to normal.

We found a replacement gas regulator ourselves at Camping World. It was a Mr. Heater by Enerco. When we went to install it we saw it was the same regulator we had. I went on line and all Enerco regulators of that model were on recall. I called Enerco and they said everything made after 2018 was wrong. They said at the time of the recall they still had some stock from a large order placed in 2017, but the tech couldn’t tell me which mine was. They were using their high capacity model as a replacement. I bought one from them as I didn’t think it was available locally. Cost me more as they won’t undersell their retailers and I had to pay shipping but it got here in 3 days. We also had to replace the pigtails as the old ones wouldn’t come off the old regulator. So about $150 later we’re set. It’s a nicer regulator because you can see the red empty signal from the top opening on the propane tank cover, no removing the cover until you have to fill a tank.

We have over a year left in our warranty, but figure in reality, considering how long it takes to resolve a warranty issue, we’re on our own.

And, by the way, after a lot of input about the poor tires on the campers from the factory we did not pursue a warranty fix on our uneven tire wear. We bought four new tires with a higher weight rating.

mikemcbsr 12-07-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgarrison688 (Post 6007983)
It took me 18.5, it was the first one our dealership had done so it took me a little longer than expected and I was the only tech working on it. So I'd have to say its close but the factory never pays or allots adequate time for us to do anything

Thank you.
Our unit has yet to be done and our dealer is undecided if they are going to do it or send it out to a truck and trailer shop.

mikemcbsr 12-07-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillandBud (Post 6009136)
We are about to become full time RVer’s. I think we were lucky in finding a welding shop to do our frame…the axels are welded and the shop warrants their work. The only issue we had was that we thought we had no brakes and they spent about an hour checking lines, etc. before they realized the self adjusting brakes had come out of adjustment. By the time we cautiously got the trailer home the brakes were back to normal.

We found a replacement gas regulator ourselves at Camping World. It was a Mr. Heater by Enerco. When we went to install it we saw it was the same regulator we had. I went on line and all Enerco regulators of that model were on recall. I called Enerco and they said everything made after 2018 was wrong. They said at the time of the recall they still had some stock from a large order placed in 2017, but the tech couldn’t tell me which mine was. They were using their high capacity model as a replacement. I bought one from them as I didn’t think it was available locally. Cost me more as they won’t undersell their retailers and I had to pay shipping but it got here in 3 days. We also had to replace the pigtails as the old ones wouldn’t come off the old regulator. So about $150 later we’re set. It’s a nicer regulator because you can see the red empty signal from the top opening on the propane tank cover, no removing the cover until you have to fill a tank.

We have over a year left in our warranty, but figure in reality, considering how long it takes to resolve a warranty issue, we’re on our own.

And, by the way, after a lot of input about the poor tires on the campers from the factory we did not pursue a warranty fix on our uneven tire wear. We bought four new tires with a higher weight rating.

hi, have you towed it at highway speed since the axle relocation? If so, were you happy with the result?

JillandBud 12-08-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcbsr (Post 6009328)
hi, have you towed it at highway speed since the axle relocation? If so, were you happy with the result?

We have taken it about 120 miles, 45 of which are an open 2 lane. Top speed 64 or so and no wind. So far okay, but we don’t consider that definitive.

4everlooking 12-08-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillandBud (Post 6009136)
We are about to become full time RVer’s. I think we were lucky in finding a welding shop to do our frame…the axels are welded and the shop warrants their work. The only issue we had was that we thought we had no brakes and they spent about an hour checking lines, etc. before they realized the self adjusting brakes had come out of adjustment. By the time we cautiously got the trailer home the brakes were back to normal.

We found a replacement gas regulator ourselves at Camping World. It was a Mr. Heater by Enerco. When we went to install it we saw it was the same regulator we had. I went on line and all Enerco regulators of that model were on recall. I called Enerco and they said everything made after 2018 was wrong. They said at the time of the recall they still had some stock from a large order placed in 2017, but the tech couldn’t tell me which mine was. They were using their high capacity model as a replacement. I bought one from them as I didn’t think it was available locally. Cost me more as they won’t undersell their retailers and I had to pay shipping but it got here in 3 days. We also had to replace the pigtails as the old ones wouldn’t come off the old regulator. So about $150 later we’re set. It’s a nicer regulator because you can see the red empty signal from the top opening on the propane tank cover, no removing the cover until you have to fill a tank.

We have over a year left in our warranty, but figure in reality, considering how long it takes to resolve a warranty issue, we’re on our own.

And, by the way, after a lot of input about the poor tires on the campers from the factory we did not pursue a warranty fix on our uneven tire wear. We bought four new tires with a higher weight rating.

Would you have a model # for the propane regulator? I've got mine set up for a recall fix, but no idea how long till any are available. thanks


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.