iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Energy management (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/energy-management-553983.html)

rrlowen 09-14-2021 04:36 PM

Energy management

The coach is a 2021 33A. It has 450AH of battery storage and 360 watts of solar.
After being plugged in (batteries at 100%) then driven for a few hours (should still be at 100%),the batteries will be low within 4 hours. Not AC running and very little other use.
Does the residential fridge draw that much power? 50AH per hour?
I appreciate comments from owners with similar rigs.
Thanks

Ranger Smith 09-14-2021 04:45 PM

What is your definition of "low" we have a residential refer in ours and it runs off the inverter while driving and the batteries are kept charged by the alternator. Can drive all day with no battery issue.

rrlowen 09-14-2021 05:10 PM

Energy management

The coach is a 2021 33A. It has 450AH of battery storage and 360 watts of solar.
After being plugged in (batteries at 100%) then driven for a few hours (should still be at 100%),the batteries will be low within 4 hours. Not AC running and very little other use.
Does the residential fridge draw that much power? 50AH per hour?
I appreciate comments from owners with similar rigs.
Thanks

rrlowen 09-14-2021 06:28 PM

No problem while driving. Low means at or close to 50% discharged for lead acid batteries. That means the coach uses over 200AH in 4 hours while off grid. Just doesn’t seem right. Can’t even make it through one night without running the generator. I just want to hear others experience to see if this is normal.

Ranger Smith 09-14-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrlowen (Post 5914065)
No problem while driving. Low means at or close to 50% discharged for lead acid batteries. That means the coach uses over 200AH in 4 hours while off grid. Just doesnít seem right. Canít even make it through one night without running the generator. I just want to hear others experience to see if this is normal.

You didn't say camping off the grid??

CircuitRider 09-14-2021 06:50 PM

I have a 2021 Thor Quantum KW29 with a "residential type" refrigerator and no way does it use 50 amps. 4 hours of driving should charge everything up. There is a short draining your house batteries or your engine alternator is bad. I had a short where the floor aluminum wore through a ground cable insulation. It was not fastened correctly and shouldn't have happened. Look under and around your house battery area. If all wiring and sheathing looks good (feel the top of the wires too) then my first place to go would be to your engine/chassis dealer and have them check the output of the alternator. If that shows OK then have them check the engine battery. If OK then check house batteries. Even new batteries can go bad. Good luck.

Berryfarmer 09-14-2021 06:56 PM

Your batteries should still be at or near 100 percent after driving for 4 hours or even longer. Even with the inverter running the refrigerator. The alternator in your coach is designed to charge the house batteries as well as the chassis batteries. Something is wrong. Especially since you have a fair amount of solar power that should be putting some charge into your batteries. Assuming you are driving during the day and it’s not completely overcast. It appears from the information you provided that the house batteries are not charging while you are driving. Since your coach is a 21 model do you have warranty available? I’m not sure what you should start to look for because your batteries charged while on shore power, and unless the batteries are severely damaged they should be replenished by your alternator as you drive.

twinboat 09-14-2021 06:59 PM

Fridge will use 7 to 10 AH, thats it.

It draws 15 to 20 amps @ 12 volts but only runs 1/2 the time

You may have dealer killed batteries. They let them die and sit on the lot.

See if they are all wired correctly.

ArtJoyce 09-14-2021 07:11 PM

It sound like you have 8 - 6.v golf cart or 4 - 12V g-31 marine deep cycle.

Are you starting with fully charged batteries that have been charging for at least 24 hours?

When you take your voltage reading do you turn off the battery master switch and wait a least 1/2 hour of no load on the battery bank before taking your reading?

rrlowen 09-17-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtJoyce (Post 5914138)
It sound like you have 8 - 6.v golf cart or 4 - 12V g-31 marine deep cycle.

Are you starting with fully charged batteries that have been charging for at least 24 hours?

When you take your voltage reading do you turn off the battery master switch and wait a least 1/2 hour of no load on the battery bank before taking your reading?

The batteries are 4-6volt @ 225 each which would give a usable 225 AH (1/2 of the 450AH) at 12 volts.
I think my original post was misleading. The problem is that the batteries are discharged after a few hours while dry camping. I thought that the coach should last overnight if the batteries are fully charged. The only significant draw would be the fridge. If the fridge draws 10amps @ 12 volts per hour (running half time) that should only use 100 AH over a 10 hour period. Add in another 10 AH over that time for miscellaneous draws and there should be no problem sitting overnight. As some have suggested, there is a problem here. Time to check the batteries and run a series of energy draw tests.
Thanks for the information which confirms what we had thought.

HighDesert 09-18-2021 08:25 AM

Just a thought, is the block heater plugged in? If so,that will suck a battery down in a heartbeat.

greenhorn1 09-21-2021 05:13 PM

Check to see that your water heater is not set to electric.
You definitely should be able to go thru the night only using the refer and a few other low draw items

Mark_K5LXP 09-21-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrlowen (Post 5917742)
The batteries are 4-6volt @ 225 each which would give a usable 225 AH (1/2 of the 450AH) at 12 volts.

Why aren't the other 225Ah usable?

Do you have a battery monitor? That would quickly and conclusively show whether the issue is charging, capacity or loads.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Sbrownstein 09-21-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP (Post 5922877)
Why aren't the other 225Ah usable?

Do you have a battery monitor? That would quickly and conclusively show whether the issue is charging, capacity or loads.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

50% discharge is the rule of thumb for FLA.