iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Where to have your coach towed when you have a blowout in an an unknown area? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/where-to-have-your-coach-towed-when-you-have-a-blowout-in-an-an-unknown-area-554259.html)

Craig36 09-16-2021 09:47 PM

Where to have your coach towed when you have a blowout in an an unknown area?

I was reading another post on tire blowouts and it made me wonder what you do after you get on the side of the road in an unfamiliar area? Once you call AAA or your roadside tow service, where do you tell them to tow it? You need a new tire and rim and likely other repairs, but don't know who is near you that does all of that work.... and is open to call. Additionally, it may be Sunday night when no one answers their phone.

Thoughts?

R.Wold 09-16-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig36 (Post 5916808)
I was reading another post on tire blowouts and it made me wonder what you do after you get on the side of the road in an unfamiliar area? Once you call AAA or your roadside tow service, where do you tell them to tow it? You need a new tire and rim and likely other repairs, but don't know who is near you that does all of that work.... and is open to call. Additionally, it may be Sunday night when no one answers their phone.

Thoughts?

I would try to get a mobile truck tire service to come to me. They are pretty much everywhere and can get common sizes easily. Towing for a tire would be a last resort.

gnvrvin 09-16-2021 10:21 PM

Agree roadside ifbj possible
Most tow insurance will only tow to closest facility
Greg

TriMoot 09-16-2021 11:16 PM

So this is somewhat related…

I’m in process of getting new tires installed and thinking of keeping the best of the old ones as a spare?

That way if we did get a blowout and called a mobile tech at least I’d already have a tire for them to use. Could save us time and give us the freedom to look for the exact replacement on a normal M-F day rather than the weekend.

I know it would be a challenge finding a place to put the spare….just thinking out loud.

Unicorn Driver 09-16-2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriMoot (Post 5916892)

I’m in process of getting new tires installed and thinking of keeping the best of the old ones as a spare?

That way if we did get a blowout and called a mobile tech at least I’d already have a tire for them to use. Could save us time and give us the freedom to look for the exact replacement on a normal M-F day rather than the weekend.

I know it would be a challenge finding a place to put the spare….just thinking out loud.

I have thought of doing the same.

R.Wold 09-16-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriMoot (Post 5916892)

Thats fairly common - and you can store stuff in and around the spare since its not on a rim so it doesn't displace that much storage room.

veraken 09-17-2021 07:41 AM

One thing I know for sure is that I'm not changing a tire on my my MH by myself. I carry an unmounted spare so that roadservice does not have to search for one while we're sitting on the side of the road. I store other items (jumper cables, 50 amp extention cord, etc) inside the tire so I don't completely loose the space.

R.Wold 09-17-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veraken (Post 5917077)
One thing I know for sure is that I'm not changing a tire on my my MH by myself. I carry an unmounted spare so that roadservice does not have to search for one while we're sitting on the side of the road. I store other items (jumper cables, 50 amp extention cord, etc) inside the tire so I don't completely loose the space.

Exactly:thumb: Also so you don’t end up paying an inflated price for some off brand tire that doesn't match the rest or meet your criteria or quality preferences.

jazzman4 09-17-2021 05:25 PM

I also carry a spare tire with no rim. Yes it's big and bulky so it usually goes on top of the overhead cab bed and then is removed and stored under the rig when we arrive at the campsite. Hope I never need it, but if I should have a flat at least a have a tire ready to go.

MSHappyCampers 09-18-2021 11:23 AM

I thought that in the case of a blowout Roadside Assistance would only replace the tire with your spare or a replacement they brought. I didn't know they would tow a MH for a blowout. :confused:

Ray,IN 09-19-2021 01:41 PM

Keep in mind that used tire you plan to carry for a spare must also be replaced on the same schedule as the tires on the ground; otherwise it may also fail when mounted and used.
reference: https://www.scribd.com/document/1373...-on-tire-aging