iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Tradewinds 7371 Coach 110v electrical problem (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/tradewinds-7371-coach-110v-electrical-problem-554337.html)

Thewellz 09-20-2021 05:57 PM

Well I checked my Invereter circuit out today too, and I have pretty much the same as you...Bathroom GCFI, plug near the coffee maker and plug under the cabinet next to the microwave. All the rest including in the bedroom are not on the circuit! So yours apparently is just fine!

Thewellz 09-20-2021 07:20 PM

jboutelle 09-21-2021 07:30 AM

Yes, TechWriter... that is the exact remote Head Unit that burned up, and I have now replaced with the new exact replacement Xantrex Inverter... however my setup is completely different than what you show in your attachment picture. I do not have a 'sub-box' or anything close to that... but I do appreciate your suggestions. With all the help I have received from y'all I have come to the conclusion that I do not currently have a problem, and that is how my system was designed to be... I just had not noticed it the past two years of use because I had never tried to run all the outlets on Inverter only. I will figure something out to run power to the bedside to charge cell phones and run small fan when on Inverter only... probably using an extension cord from the rear TV outlet or from the bathroom outlet which are always hot.... that would be the easiest, cheapest and safest thing to do rather than trying to run a constant hot lead to the bedside outlets. I will still never try to run the two 15k A/Cs or microwave unless I am on Shore or Gen power though... I am now gun-shy scared of that meltdown ever happening again, and possibly burning my toy to the ground... :eek:

Thank You everyone for your help... I think we just about got this cleared up... I appreciate all of you... Jim

jboutelle 09-21-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewellz (Post 5921469)
Well I checked my Invereter circuit out today too, and I have pretty much the same as you...Bathroom GCFI, plug near the coffee maker and plug under the cabinet next to the microwave. All the rest including in the bedroom are not on the circuit! So yours apparently is just fine!

Thank You Thewellz.. I little different on which outlets... but I get the picture.... I think you are right... that is how it was designed to be from the factory.
I appreciate you... thanks, Jim

LakeKerrGuy 09-28-2021 03:36 PM

All outlets are not on inverter

Since I have not read all the comments, I apologize if this has been covered.

The inverter powers a limited number of receptacles. I have added several to the inverter circuits for our convenience. Pull the door off the front furnace and you will find a junction box. You can tap in there to supply new receptacles. I installed one right there by the frig; one across the hall under the flip up counter extension; one in the bedroom beside the breaker panel; one in the panel to the right of the sink (left of the sofa); and one in the storage bin below the dining table. I put white face plates on all the receptacles powered by the inverter.

The extra panel mentioned may be the one under the sink.

I have a 1999 TW 7371 so I'm sure it is 100% like yours.

excited2 09-28-2021 03:58 PM

We have a 2001 Trade winds
I no power on the passenger side of the couch. But the plugs on the drivers side work, plus the plug in the bathroom near the hairdryer and all3 plug s in the bedroom

Sigfamily 09-28-2021 07:08 PM

I think we have the exact same coach. I have a 2000 National RV 7371 Tradewinds with a Cat 330 hp diesel and Freightliner chassis. On inverter, my inverter will power the microwave the TV the bathroom outlet, the outside plug under awning, and thatís it. If I want to fire up the high-voltage coffee maker I have to turn on the generator. I believe yours is wired correctly because thatís exactly how mine is as well. It doesnít sound like you have a problem at all.

Chinadoll13 09-28-2021 08:39 PM

Hi. I am a newbie as well. I have the exact same coach. Tradwinds 7371 2000. My outlets never work unless I am plugged into shore power or have the generator running. The hairdryer was installed at factory I believe as I have one right where you described. I am lost with all the electrical jargon and am trying to learn more. The only thing that works without shore or gen power are the cigarette charger things. I plug up a thing that has outlets and usb ports on it in the cigarette outlets on the driver and passenger side.

skyexplorer 09-28-2021 10:23 PM

tradewinds

Hate to say this but sound like you still have a problem, your transfer switch might be bad as you should not of had a problem when you switched from generator to shore with the air on the transfer switch is suppose to be generator priority and shore second so you should not of smoked your invertor when you accidently hooked up to shore power with the air on. check out the contacts on your transfer switch. the rest of the outlets are factory correct.

jboutelle 09-29-2021 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigfamily (Post 5931812)
I think we have the exact same coach. I have a 2000 National RV 7371 Tradewinds with a Cat 330 hp diesel and Freightliner chassis. On inverter, my inverter will power the microwave the TV the bathroom outlet, the outside plug under awning, and thatís it. If I want to fire up the high-voltage coffee maker I have to turn on the generator. I believe yours is wired correctly because thatís exactly how mine is as well. It doesnít sound like you have a problem at all.

Yep, Sigfamily, you are correct, mine is exactly the same, except I have not checked the outside plug yet. Even though the microwave clock and light work on inverter, I am scared to try to turn on the microwave cook after the near fire I experienced (explained above), we will just run the Gen or Shore power for bigger draws. Reading some of the other replies it is crazy how different the setups are for 1999 and 2001 (7371s) compared to our 2000...? I appreciate everyone's input through... gives me more thoughts on any future problems or questions... thanks to all... :cool:

jboutelle 09-29-2021 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinadoll13 (Post 5931919)
Hi. I am a newbie as well. I have the exact same coach. Tradwinds 7371 2000. My outlets never work unless I am plugged into shore power or have the generator running. The hairdryer was installed at factory I believe as I have one right where you described. I am lost with all the electrical jargon and am trying to learn more. The only thing that works without shore or gen power are the cigarette charger things. I plug up a thing that has outlets and usb ports on it in the cigarette outlets on the driver and passenger side.

Hello, Chinadoll13, yes, I also have a factory installed hair blow dryer hanging on the wall next to the bathroom sink... and I am absolutely baffled they would have a live plug, on inverter only, to try run this 1500 watt load on a 2000 watt inverter... safely...? I am temped to remove it or disable it...?
Yes, we also use those 12v to USB converters to charge our phones and devices while driving, etc., but they are way up front in the driver area when we need power in the bedroom at night. My wife has to have a small fan running when she sleeps, so it is aggravating they did not put 110v power to the two bedside outlets in the nightstands. Her 12v portable fan has a battery backup, but it does not last all night long, only about four hours or so, so we need additional juice to keep it topped off all night, as well as keep our cell phones topped off charging thru the night.
On yours... on inverter only... check the overhead TV plug in the bedroom, see if the front TV turns on (or check the outlet inside the overhead cabinet above the driver seat), and the bathroom socket of course you already know, (and Sigfamily says the outside outlet under the canopy). If just those things are live on inverter only, yours is exactly like mine.
I had no clue that is the way they designed and installed this setup in 2000. Of course in 2000 we didn't even know about cell phones, laptops, or 12v and USB adapters for such, but still it makes no sense to NOT put power to the bedside 110v outlets...? I could try to hardwire some extra outlets, but I will just run a good extension cord from the bedroom TV outlet down to the nightstand so she can run her fan and charge our phones.
Good Luck with yours... ours has definitely been a new challenge experience for us, but so far it has all been worth it... :thumb:

LakeKerrGuy 10-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewellz (Post 5921469)

TV's should also be in inverter.

LakeKerrGuy 10-01-2021 01:01 PM

Use 12 volt fans

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboutelle (Post 5922032)
ntly and run small fan when on Inverter only... probably using an extension cord from the rear TV outlet or from the bathroom outlet which are always hot.... Jim

I installed (2) 12 volt fans above the bed. Also installed 2 of them in the living area under the overhead cabinets. I also replaced the eyeball lights with surface mounted LED fixtures

Got fans on Amazon..

Prime Products (06-0850 Chrome 2-Speed Heavy Duty Fan
Color:Chrome

69 roadrunne 10-01-2021 06:21 PM

99 national tradewinds outlets

My 7371 also only energized a few outlets on inverter. We do have another junction box under the kitchen sink, just 2 breakers.
My issue is both outlets by the bed don't work. Haven't been able to track down where they feed from if anyone knows.