iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Viair and the inner dual drive tire (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/viair-and-the-inner-dual-drive-tire-554640.html)

DawnTreader 09-19-2021 10:57 PM

Viair and the inner dual drive tire

Has anyone had trouble airing up an INNER drive tire with a Viair compressor with the air chucks they provide? I have a Viair 450, and it inflates all the tires just fine except the INNER drive tires. I can check the tire pressures on those tires (Use a TireMinder digital pressure gauge),but the drive tires will not accept air. I have tried using both the straight AND flexible hose air chucks.:banghead:

Also, I just installed TireMinder TPMS transmitters on all the tires and they worked, but could only get one of the inner drive tires to work with the TPMS, and I had to really "crank" on it to get it to transmit, but the other one wouldn't work. Could it be that the valve stems are too short (even though they will work with the pressure gauge)??? They stick straight out of the rim about
1& 1/4", so no problem reaching them with the air chucks. Is there something else going on? I just had new tires installed, but had the same problem when the old tires were on, same inner drive tire valve stem configuration. Would appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks so much!:thumb:

Ranger Smith 09-20-2021 05:18 AM

Do you have extenders on there?? They usually don't work with extenders. I removed all my extenders and they now work well.

DawnTreader 09-20-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Smith (Post 5920474)
Do you have extenders on there?? They usually don't work with extenders. I removed all my extenders and they now work well.

No extenders on there. They look like all the other valve stems that do work, just shorter because they are coming from the inner tire and sticking through the outer tire rim (like they are supposed to).

As I wrote, I can check the the pressure on that one just fine with the digital pressure gauge, it’s either airchuck won’t seem to fit on correctly to put air in. It almost seems the chucks don’t push the little valve in far enough to let air in, yet the pressure gauge DOES, and I get a pressure reading. Very frustrating. I need to be able to put air in those inner tires with the Viair when on the road if needed.

HighDesert 09-20-2021 03:08 PM

Actually, I had to add small, 1”, extenders to my valve stems onthe inner tires of the 32SA. I have a Viair450 and I cannot air these inner tires without the short extender. No idea why that is the case but was very frustrating to deal with.

DawnTreader 09-20-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighDesert (Post 5921147)
Actually, I had to add small, 1, extenders to my valve stems onthe inner tires of the 32SA. I have a Viair450 and I cannot air these inner tires without the short extender. No idea why that is the case but was very frustrating to deal with.

OK, maybe that's the answer. I'll try to get some 1" extenders and see if that does the trick.

Thanks HighDesert:thumb:

DawnTreader 09-22-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighDesert (Post 5921147)
Actually, I had to add small, 1, extenders to my valve stems onthe inner tires of the 32SA. I have a Viair450 and I cannot air these inner tires without the short extender. No idea why that is the case but was very frustrating to deal with.

Could you tell me where you got these extenders?

Thanks!:thumb:

Ranger Smith 09-22-2021 10:10 AM

I don't use extenders at all. They are known to cause flats and slow leaks. Only time I use em is when filling the inner dual. I have a 3 or 4" extender I use to add air to tire and that is it.