iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   2002 Alpine Coach 36MD Generator Problem? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/2002-alpine-coach-36md-generator-problem-554753.html)

Tforbesreal 09-20-2021 05:01 PM

2002 Alpine Coach 36MD Generator Problem?

I recently purchased a Used 2002 Alpine Coach 36MD and I am having problems keeping the Onam Generator running. I replaced the Air Filter,
Oil Filter, and Fuel Filter. I changed the oil as well. The Coach also has
between a 1/4 and 1/2 tank of Diesel fuel. I primed the Generator by holding it in the down position and I can here the fuel pump (clicking) about a minute several times. When I start the Generator it will startup for about 10 seconds and shutoff every time. Any ideas what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martind4 09-20-2021 05:09 PM

The start/stop switch will flash a code that indicates the reason for the shutdown. Look in your owner's manual or look it up online for your model.

It will probably flash 3 times that translates to a service code, press the stop switch one time and it will flash several more times. Look up the 3-** code and it will help in the diagnosis.

Good luck.

153stars 09-20-2021 06:41 PM

Retrieve the codes . The typical reasons for diesel genny start and die. Fuel level " few owners found damaged pick up tube", fuel pump, oil pressure switch, temp switch my Generac has small pre pump inline filter/strainer . Good luck with an easy cheapish fix.

paul65k 09-20-2021 06:57 PM

Just out of curiosity.......does it run OK with a full tank of fuel?

Tforbesreal 09-20-2021 07:37 PM

Thank you for the info. I will fill the tank tomorrow. I will check and count the codes as well. I will let you know. Thanks again.

paul65k 09-21-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tforbesreal (Post 5921519)
Thank you for the info. I will fill the tank tomorrow. I will check and count the codes as well. I will let you know. Thanks again.

I find that my 36FD is a little finicky when below 1/3 of a tank, probably a matter of the fuel line getting a little older at this point in time ;)

andy29847 09-21-2021 09:01 PM

The fuel Guage is not reliable. Mine shows 1/2 full when the generator quits.

Tforbesreal 09-23-2021 07:06 AM

I filled the fuel tank and it still shuts off when trying to start. The code i am getting is a code 36. Any ideas?

Ljwt330 09-23-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tforbesreal (Post 5924619)
I filled the fuel tank and it still shuts off when trying to start. The code i am getting is a code 36. Any ideas?

Code 3-6 means the generator shut down without your command, something you obviously know. That code generally points to problems with fuel delivery or air flow. Though you changed the air filter and fuel filter, you may wish to change out the fuel filter once again as it's possible sediment from a low fuel tank may have worked its way into the new filter. It's also possible that you have air in the fuel line from the low tank level situation and it will take a bit to work it's way through, especially if you installed a new fuel filter and did not pre-fill it.

paul65k 09-23-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljwt330 (Post 5924838)
Code 3-6 means the generator shut down without your command, something you obviously know. That code generally points to problems with fuel delivery or air flow. Though you changed the air filter and fuel filter, you may wish to change out the fuel filter once again as it's possible sediment from a low fuel tank may have worked its way into the new filter.

I agree completely. If that doesn't fix it you may have a deteriorated fuel pick-up line in the tank to the generator..... not the easiest but highly possible with the age of the coach........... At a minimum I'd check the fuel flow from the tank, it could be as simple as a poor fuel line connection