iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Where do you mount your GPS and TPMS? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/where-do-you-mount-your-gps-and-tpms-555004.html)

Offramp 09-22-2021 09:07 AM

Where do you mount your GPS and TPMS?

We have just switched from a Ford E450 Class C to a Ford F-53 class A. I prefer to have a GPS and TPMS monitor close to the driver. Attaching to the windshield of the class A is too far away for my liking. The dash above the steering wheel is rather steep for a friction pad type mount.
Looking for your experience of what worked best for you.
Thank you,

Mike8253 09-22-2021 09:29 AM

You can buy self-adhesive disks from Amazon that can be placed on any flat surface on your dash to provide a mounting surface for your GPS, et. al. Just be aware that once attached, it's pretty much permanent. Also, they come in various diameters (normally measured in mm), so make sure you get them large enough for your needs. I also like mine close enough to see easily without having taking my eyes off the road. I have three mounting disks on my dash for my TPMS, GPS and a tablet that I run TorquePro on.

HarryStone 09-22-2021 10:48 AM

My GPS came with a suction cup mount. It works nicely on the dash (as long as I use a bit of moisture on the cup.

rffowler55 09-22-2021 10:56 AM

Ram Mount makes a GPS holder, for most major brands, that can be screwed down to the dash or attached to a 3M adhesive disk. I screwed my Ram Mount to the dash since the holder and GPS unit are fairly heavy and there is always a lot of movement and vibration on our great road systems. I used heavy duty double sided Velcro tape to mount the TPMS monitor, since it is very light, just above my camera monitor and just below the Garmin 785 noted above. This setup helps to keep all monitors at a similar viewing angle.

SargeW 09-22-2021 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are lots of options depending on what surfaces are available in your rig. Here is what mine looks like at the present.

znt1186 09-22-2021 10:59 AM

I have a suction cup mount that I attach to the side window. It keeps the gps right at the dash where I can see it easily and access it readily. It does compromise the sliding window some, but not enough to matter. I can still open the window about 40% which is much more than I need.

(mine is a little left of where Sarge has his)

2HappyCampers 09-22-2021 11:06 AM

We didn't have a flat surface on our dash to mount our GPS that was close enough to see it well, so we opted for a floor mount holder

HarryStone 09-22-2021 11:31 AM

You need to be careful to not block your front vision with the GPS.

DavidEM 09-22-2021 04:47 PM

For a TPMS display, I use Tymate, a solar powered system that is about as big as a deck of cards and requires no wiring connections. I check it a few minutes into a new trip, then mostly rely on the alarms to tell me if a tire is leaking. My wife handles GPS duties using Google Maps on her iPad on her lap. Plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet on the dash.

David

Offramp 09-22-2021 11:04 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Going to give the 3M disc a try for the GPS.
Sarge, what are you using to mount your dash GPS?

SargeW 09-23-2021 12:07 AM

This is the one that I purchased from Amazon to hold the tablet for my VMSpc.

Exogear ExoMount Easy Universal Dashboard Mount Cradle Holder for The new iPad and other Tablets

I just checked Amazon though and that one is out stock. There may be an updated model available.

Boydoo 10-29-2021 11:16 PM

Using Iphone and Apple Car play, tpsm and Velcro

With the 2021 f53 chassis I had trouble getting the gps mounts to stick to the dash board. But then discovered Apple Car Play working with my Iphone, which is running the RV life app and RV trip wizard. Works great with my Sony 9 inch radio/side and backup camera display.

I used some velcro for the tpms which I placed just below the Tach.