iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   alternator charges only Coach not House (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/alternator-charges-only-coach-not-house-555031.html)

RV SealTech 09-22-2021 11:34 AM

alternator charges only Coach not House

I purchased new/old 2006 Fleetwood Bounder 39Z Diesel. We did a month out which was our 1st trip in August. We were having problems Boondocking. had issue with house batteries and purchased 4 new 6 volt deep cycle. Now working much better but have figured out that when traveling the alternator does NOT charge house batteries, only the coach. When hooked up to shore power house batteries charge 12.9 after resting ( with all power disconnected) . Coach stays at 11.9 resting. No increase like house batteries. I have read alot of conflicting some saying it should always charge both to others saying it could be a solenoid in BCC but I can not visually see one.

I also checked charging with generator on and it increases top charge of house batteries while charging to 14+ but then levels off after a day to 12.9. Nothing to coach batteries.

FYI This is my first post since joining 2 days ago so break me in gently. :)

MSHappyCampers 09-22-2021 12:01 PM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

I'm not sure but I think that's pretty common. I'm sure someone else will have a definitive answer for you shortly.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

TomeAR 09-22-2021 12:13 PM

BCC ?

This thread might help...
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/powe...er-533748.html

Skip426 09-22-2021 12:19 PM

Welcome to iRV2 .:flowers:

Do your chassis batteries discharge to 11.9 resting after a trip where the alternator has been charging them ??
That would indicate a chassis battery is bad ; should hold 12.4> 12.6 .

Alternator should charge all the batteries in the coach when the engine runs .

Chassis battery charging from shore power ; or gen set ; uses the same charger , and varies by coach manufacturer and even year .

You say " Cannot visually see one ." do you mean you can't see a BCC or you can't see a solenoid relay in the BCC you've found ?:confused:

Sbrownstein 09-22-2021 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fleetwood used to install a BCC that would perform those functions. First off, do you have a boost start switch. If so, do you hear anything when you push it? Where do you hear it? That is the isolation relay.
In gas Fleetwoods the isolation relay was mounted inside the BCC (black box) but on diesels they generally used an external relay due to heat load issues. This relay is powered with 12 volts and then held with a pulsed 12 volt signal.

My bet is that the fuse that powers the relay is blown (on mine it was #3 in the BCC) or the relay is no longer working.

blueridge-fl 09-22-2021 12:51 PM

Many manufacturers require the coach battery switch to be in the on position for the coach batteries to receive a charge.

Sbrownstein 09-22-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueridge-fl (Post 5923836)
Many manufacturers require the coach battery switch to be in the on position for the coach batteries to receive a charge.

Absolutely, and that includes Fleetwood.

Ledawg 09-22-2021 01:17 PM

Good video

check this video. This will tell you everything you need to know. I fixed mine by this video. Its a pain but can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyH0cQTXeI&t=447s

mrboyer 09-22-2021 02:18 PM

alternator charges only Coach not House

1 Attachment(s)
We have 2006 Fleetwood Expedition that is very similar to your Bounder. When in the road the generator first charges the chassis batteries until 13.2vdc (I think) and then charges the coach batteries. When on shore power, only the coach batteries are charged; therefore, I added a Amp-L-Start that uses some of the coach batteries charge to keep the chassis batteries charged. Very easy to install. Just 3 wires.

RV SealTech 09-23-2021 08:05 AM

ALT charges only house batts

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks All for your replies. Seems that I didn't go deep enough in my BCC the other day. See photo. There were 3 different locations that referenced Aux start or some variation of auxiliary. I initially looked for any fuses that pertained to Auxiliary. I did not see F22 fuse in box but found others. I was told some dont have all fuses. So I checked all other fuses and found none were bad. Fuses 21 and 23 were next to each other on left side of box.

Fast forward I rechecked BCC and indeed there was a F22 bottom right of box under wires that I could not see. Valuable lesson to be certain I check in depth as opposed to quick check...

So today I will make sure all is charging correctly. The big solenoid (diesel) outside of box is humming and I think that may have caused fuse to blow. Seems when running engine ALT is charging both sets of batteries at the same time. Again I was told it shouldnt be at the same time so I will continue to dig deeper and see how it is supposed to be charging ( in what orders, etc) . Thanks to all that replied!!!

Sbrownstein 09-23-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV SealTech (Post 5924677)
So today I will make sure all is charging correctly. The big solenoid (diesel) outside of box is humming and I think that may have caused fuse to blow. Seems when running engine ALT is charging both sets of batteries at the same time. Again I was told it shouldnt be at the same time so I will continue to dig deeper and see how it is supposed to be charging ( in what orders, etc) . Thanks to all that replied!!!

Glad you found it. Frankly i do not see how the BCC could charge the banks separately when on alternator or converter for that matter. Your chassis will get charge from the alternator directly and the BBC can monitor the chassis voltage and decide when to fire the isolation relay, bringing in the house bank. Don't see a way to avoid charging both as it cannot disconnect the chassis when charging the house. Same would be true from the converter.

There were a couple of runs of BCC motherboard. The earlier ones (far too early for your date I think) would not charge the chassis when the house was being charged by your converter. This was because they were concerned about keeping the isolation relay energized for days...weeks...months when connected to shore power. Perhaps on the diesel that decided to stay that way since its isolation relay is a much bigger heat source and hence outside the box.

twinboat 09-23-2021 09:15 AM

The above post is correct.

The engine alternator always charges the chassis battery. That has to be that way to maintain steady voltage to the 12 volt chassis functions, otherwise you would get dimming lights, slowing wipers, and unreliable electronic engine controls.

The large solenoid parallels the chassis to the house batteries under controlled conditions.
Although humming and getting warm, the solenoid internal contact points can build up carbon and not make a good connection.

If the solenoid is powering up, the contacts are first thing to check, if it's the serviceable type.