iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   p0300 misfire codes (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/p0300-misfire-codes-555144.html)

cookie monster 09-23-2021 11:07 AM

p0300 misfire codes

I,ve been getting these p0300 misfire codes on a 2018 v10 winny 30 T since new. Only happens when mountain towing. Service center obviously couldn,t duplicate so sent me on my way with nothing done. I have another appointment in a week. Any others with this problem found a fix or any advice how to handle this with Ford to get more action. Thanks

Ljwt330 09-23-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie monster (Post 5924866)
I,ve been getting these p0300 misfire codes on a 2018 v10 winny 30 T since new. Only happens when mountain towing. Service center obviously couldn,t duplicate so sent me on my way with nothing done. I have another appointment in a week. Any others with this problem found a fix or any advice how to handle this with Ford to get more action. Thanks

Since it is a "misfire" code and happens only when the engine is stressed while towing on grades, it may be a fuel delivery related issue. If no other codes are stored, it could be as simple as a dirty fuel filter.

cookie monster 09-23-2021 06:22 PM

True it may be as simple as that but it may be a whole lot of other things as well. I will mention the fuel filter idea and I thank you for that. If the code had been more specific to a certain cylinder this might have been be easier. As it is a random misfire code is tough to narrow down.

RealNiceTent 09-23-2021 06:45 PM

You mention mountain towing, are you changing altitude by more than 1500-2000 feet when this occurs? I don't know if this applies but in older model fords they would misbehave when you drove up or down altitude wise a couple thousand feet in altitude because of the way they only sampled atmospheric pressure at start up. So as the pressure changed the mixture tables would become too rich or lean for the correct atmospheric pressure. The other thing I personally would look at is spark plugs no matter the mileage. Pull them out and look very closely for any kind of carbon tracking or hairline cracks and check the gaps, also look at the coil boots for cracking, burning or brittleness and replace anything that gives you any doubt. And last but possibly most important get a can of MAF sensor cleaner, (stuffs not cheap, but you can clean the MAF at least 3-4 times) spray a short burst through the little tube on the MAF where the wire is, let it soak 30 seconds and repeat a couple times. Dust builds up on the wire and makes the sensor "lie" to the ecm about how much air is going into the engine making it run slightly lean. Where I live we deal with a lot of dust, so I've fixed a lot of cars cleaning MAF wires.

cookie monster 10-12-2021 12:08 PM

Finally got the rig into a Ford Fleet center. They had 2 other rigs in all the same years,2017-2018, and all for same issue. Random misfire codes with no evidence of the code when trying to scan and look back at history. They pushed the issue to Ford Engineering and came up with replacing and re-torqueing the crankshaft pulley bolt. This issue has already come up with motors in 2016 thru early 2017. My motor was built later in 2017 so not involved initially. I have my fingers crossed hoping this solves the problem. It was good to know others have had the same problem and its not isolated to me though I dont wish this on others. This only occurs when towing up pretty extreme grades so I,m wondering how many others actually have this same glich but just haven,t tested their motors to the extent it would bring the code in.