iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Front air won't stay on in auto or low (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/front-air-wont-stay-on-in-auto-or-low-555202.html)

carolinagirl 09-23-2021 05:45 PM

Front air won't stay on in auto or low

The front AC unit will not stay on in auto or low
2014 Winnebago Adventurer
The back AC unit seems to be working fine

My initial thought was thermostat. But with the back unit working, I am thinking not thermostat, but as I type this there is probably 2 diodes on for the back and one for the front, but I am not sure?

The other thought was ( we leave the unit running all summer) the unit may have frozen with our high humidity? I only have a 30 amp so cant run both at the same time..

Any ideas?

thanks

Ray,IN 09-23-2021 05:48 PM

Low fan speed can cause a freeze-up on the evaporator coil. The unit will have a freeze detector there too. What happens on high fan speed?

carolinagirl 09-23-2021 06:57 PM

I had it on low cool testing and the same response.I have not tried high yet. I will try that in the morning. I do keep it on low auto tho since i run it all the time. thanks
If the thermostat is bad, the back unit would have an issue as well? Is that logic right?

carolinagirl 09-24-2021 07:50 AM

Update

I ruled out frozen as it came on this morning
I now know it does the same thing, on for a min or so, then off when it is on auto or high low fan

I have it down to the fan now. I hear it humming after the air went off. I know it is the fan as when i turned the air to "off" the humming stopped coming from the air unit

So now, where does this leave me? Is it a capacitor or should I replace the whole fan unit?

thanks for the help!

Ljwt330 09-24-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinagirl (Post 5925989)
I ruled out frozen as it came on this morning
I now know it does the same thing, on for a min or so, then off when it is on auto or high low fan

I have it down to the fan now. I hear it humming after the air went off. I know it is the fan as when i turned the air to "off" the humming stopped coming from the air unit

So now, where does this leave me? Is it a capacitor or should I replace the whole fan unit?

thanks for the help!

You can confirm it's the fan by setting your control to "Fan" only. If that produces the same start/stop behavior, then the fan is the culprit. If not, then it is something else, possibly in the control board, but that's getting ahead.

If it proves to be the fan, first check is to remove the cover from the a/c and inspect for any obvious physical evidence of interference. Could be bad bearing in the motor or in the shaft. The fan has a thermal circuit breaker, I believe, that will shut down the motor if it gets too hot. Added friction from bad bearings can cause the heating and shutdown, and the binding can result in the "humming" you hear as the fan tries to restart but cannot.

All the above is speculation based upon what you've described. However, the first step is to confirm the fan is the issue.