iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Remove Bedroom TV? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/remove-bedroom-tv-555429.html)

BZLuck 09-25-2021 02:30 PM

Remove Bedroom TV?
 
3 Attachment(s)
We recently purchased a 2006 National RV SeaBreeze. Overall it's in really good shape.

I want to take the old heavy Panasonic CRT TV out of the bedroom, but it appears to be strapped down with a thin metal strap. There isn't enough room to fit your hand over the top of the TV, but when I lift the front end I can see the straps underneath. Either one on each side, or one strap that goes over the top. There are two circular holes drilled in the wooden base the TV is sitting on that the straps go into, but there is no access to them from the cabinet underneath as that cabinet has it's own "ceiling" board.

Pictures attached.

Anyone have any advice? I've been searching for the last 30 minutes or so.

UFO Pilot 09-25-2021 02:38 PM

Have you tried to see over the top of the TV? If you can fit your hand in there you might find a way to unhook the strap. Do you have a endoscope camera that you can use to see the top?

ByeTheWay 09-25-2021 02:45 PM

I'd try removing the lid of the next cabinet down to gain access to the bottom of the TV shelf.

bneiva 09-25-2021 03:14 PM

Most of those ceiling boards are only stapled in place. If you look close enough you should see the staples and either pull them using a set of neetlenose pliers, or you might have to pry with a thin bladed screwdriver to get started.

Bill

ByeTheWay 09-25-2021 03:30 PM

^^^ Are you referring to the ceiling of the cabinet below? Should be an easy removal.

amosnandy 09-25-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BZLuck (Post 5927490)
We recently purchased a 2006 National RV SeaBreeze. Overall it's in really good shape.

I want to take the old heavy Panasonic CRT TV out of the bedroom, but it appears to be strapped down with a thin metal strap. There isn't enough room to fit your hand over the top of the TV, but when I lift the front end I can see the straps underneath. Either one on each side, or one strap that goes over the top. There are two circular holes drilled in the wooden base the TV is sitting on that the straps go into, but there is no access to them from the cabinet underneath as that cabinet has it's own "ceiling" board.

Pictures attached.

Anyone have any advice? I've been searching for the last 30 minutes or so.

Looking at your pictures, since you can lift it up enough to take that picture of the straps, canít you reach in with a knife and cut them?

Itís not like your going to need them for the next tv.

ByeTheWay 09-25-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amosnandy (Post 5927547)
Looking at your pictures, since you can lift it up enough to take that picture of the straps, can’t you reach in with a knife and cut them?

It’s not like your going to need them for the next tv.


Good thought but the OP stated it's a thin metal strap? Maybe a long metal cutting saws all would work, but risks damage to the tv shelf.

BZLuck 09-25-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO Pilot (Post 5927495)
Have you tried to see over the top of the TV? If you can fit your hand in there you might find a way to unhook the strap. Do you have a endoscope camera that you can use to see the top?


I can *kinda* feel around on the top of the TV, and it feels like the straps are actually connected to the sides of the TV. Certainly not something that an adult arm could get a tool into and turn it. My wife is pretty petite and she confirmed that she could feel the straps, but not anything that was connecting them, but they were connected somehow.

Podivin 09-25-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByeTheWay (Post 5927552)
Good thought but the OP stated it's a thin metal strap? Maybe a long metal cutting saws all would work, but risks damage to the tv shelf.

I'd use a hacksaw blade. If not enough room for the hacksaw then just the blade held in a pair of pliers or vice grips.

BZLuck 09-25-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5927521)
Most of those ceiling boards are only stapled in place. If you look close enough you should see the staples and either pull them using a set of neetlenose pliers, or you might have to pry with a thin bladed screwdriver to get started.

Bill


I don't see any staples, but I will try to wedge a butter knife or something into one of the edges tomorrow and see if that gets me anywhere. It seems pretty solid. Thin, but solid.

BZLuck 09-25-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podivin (Post 5927563)
I'd use a hacksaw blade. If not enough room for the hacksaw then just the blade held in a pair of pliers or vice grips.

Thought about that as my first solution, and then said, "Nah, there MUST be an easier way."

I mean if I took it into a dealership and wanted to pay for a TV upgrade, I doubt they would spend 20-30 minutes per side slowly sawing through those metal straps holding a blade with vice grips.

Fast E 09-25-2021 06:22 PM

What's on the other side of that wall behind the TV? May be able to open that to get to back of TV.

amosnandy 09-25-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByeTheWay (Post 5927552)
Good thought but the OP stated it's a thin metal strap? Maybe a long metal cutting saws all would work, but risks damage to the tv shelf.

So a hacksaw blade and vice grips

amosnandy 09-25-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BZLuck (Post 5927574)
Thought about that as my first solution, and then said, "Nah, there MUST be an easier way."

I mean if I took it into a dealership and wanted to pay for a TV upgrade, I doubt they would spend 20-30 minutes per side slowly sawing through those metal straps holding a blade with vice grips.

I have a cordless saws all with a 24Ē blade ind my basement compartment. Come on over. Iíll have it out in 5 minutes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.