iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Toilet Issue (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/toilet-issue-555635.html)

ashman155 09-26-2021 10:00 PM

Toilet Issue

The wife and I head out for our last hurrah for the camping season. We get all set up near Edson, Alberta canadaturn the water on to the TT and all of a sudden I hear coming from our trailer "Shut the water off!!! Shut the water off!!!". So I quickly shut the water off and hustle to the inside of the trailer;here the missus is on her hands and knees moping up water with the towels we brought along in the bathroom.

What happened was the water valve failed on the toilet and when it came time to hook up the water to the trailer water came gushing out of the toilet on the floor. So okay we thought no problem, we can use the water that was left in the holding tanks. Ha! as soon as we turned the water pump on again we had a flood. Now this was a Sunday. So we had to wait till Monday morning. Well Monday rolled around called yep we should be out today, perfect was the thought. Nope then a call came that day we can come out Tuesday as we have a big job to do. Ok we will have to do. Tuesday rolled around and they showed up to replace the water valve on the toilet. we where lucky $230CDN later we got it fixed.

That was for the part, call out and time spent about an hour to fix the toilet. So after that little episode we make SURE the water is turned off to the trailer and also the pump is shut off as we did not want a repeat of what happened.
had we been away when this happened what a mess and the trailer would have been destroyed. So the moral of the story is this we are going to have a shut off valve put at the toilet water line so that we can use the water in the trailer. We will shut off the water to the trailer and even the pump. I wanted everyone know about this as it may or may not happen to them. So just a heads up and be diligent in this area.

Old-Biscuit 09-26-2021 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear of your water leaking toilet

Really sorry to hear how much they soaked you for that toilet water supply valve ($15-$20 US)

City water/pump same rv plumbing system...just 2 different supply sources

cadillac_al 09-27-2021 12:34 PM

I always shut the water off in my house when I go on vacation. You never know when something will spring a leak.

Dutch Star Don 09-27-2021 09:17 PM

If you feel capable, put a shut off valve on the water line to the toilet. If you ever have the issue again, you only lose use of the toilet. You can still use the toilet by just adding water from a bowl or bottle.

OldWEB 09-27-2021 09:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your "Last Hurrah" troubles, it is now a campfire story for sure! Our "last' is this Wednesday for a week. :sad:

But installing a toilet valve just in case is like the dog chasing its own tail. What if next time the cold water line to the shower 'disconnects' or the check valve on the city inlet fails or a line anywhere in the MH. Just learn how you can fix or temp. fix a leak or have the spouse do it or even ask a neighbour! You can't worry about it.
The tip on shutting the pump/water inlet when not around is a sound one!

Dutch Star Don 09-28-2021 01:09 AM

Well.....there are many reasons for installing a valve on the toilet, first, any repairs that are needed, like what the OP was experiencing can more easily be isolated. Even unplugging a toilet or cleaning the bowl flange is made easier with a valve. It's easier to just shut the water off at the toilet while doing the work.

As you go up in price on RV's they install things like toilet valves and other water shut offs. On really high end coaches they come with water manifolds so you can shut down various water systems throughout the coach. So there are very good reasons to have water valves on toilets, ice makers, etc.

IND2SLC 09-30-2021 12:45 AM

If this is a Thetford of any sort, the valve you seek is a common high-failure item and not easy to obtain right now. I have a similar issue with mine (Thetford Aqua Magic II) so I just placed a ball valve in the water inlet line before the valve and leave it closed. It can be opened for each use, but I just keep a gallon of distilled water nearby to use instead until I can get the proper valve.

shootist 09-30-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IND2SLC (Post 5933155)
If this is a Thetford of any sort, the valve you seek is a common high-failure item and not easy to obtain right now. I have a similar issue with mine (Thetford Aqua Magic II) so I just placed a ball valve in the water inlet line before the valve and leave it closed. It can be opened for each use, but I just keep a gallon of distilled water nearby to use instead until I can get the proper valve.

Thetford does not use the same valve on all it's products. Rare to see a failure on the style lines.

I think about the mess leaving the city water on would cause when not around the coach. A 15$ bluetooth relay and a 120v water valve would make it so easy to shut the water off, or maybe just wire a 12v relay running right off the existing pump switch.

Craig1960 09-30-2021 11:46 AM

We had a similar issue a few weeks ago in BC where the valve stuck partially open after flushing and wasn't noticed. We went to town to pick up a few things and fortunately our neighbor had just pulled in and noticed the water coming out under the kitchen slide and shut our supply water off.
I was a little lazy when leveling and had a slight tilt to the drivers side and the water ran out of the bathroom into the kitchen and under the slide which is all tile floors so minimal clean up. Now I shut the supply off before we leave the motorhome for any reason.

And I agree it doesn't hurt to have shut valves to isolate something if you have a problem. We have the manifold system that we can isolate pretty much anything.