iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

yeloduster 09-27-2021 03:50 PM

What broke while on your last RV trip?

Those of us who have been doing the RV game for a while realize that something goes wrong on almost every trip. I thought it might be fun...well maybe not fun...it might be interesting if we talked about our latest mishap...big or small!

My latest; in the middle of the night while camping near Rocky Mountain National Park the canister that contains the water filter split up the side and all our water was pumped out onto the ground. Fortunately the rupture was in an area that was open to the outside and NO damage was done.

I was able to remove the water filter and pull the plumbing together for a temporary fix until we got home. I paid $21 for a new water filter housing from Lowes, $15 for plumbing pieces and 3 trips to Lowes because I can never anticipate everything I need!

That's my story, what is yours?

96 Wideglide 09-27-2021 03:55 PM

Got lucky this last trip!

Only issue was wife's footrest sometimes wouldn't lower :sad:!

Bit of grease in some key places when we got home, and all is good in the world again :thumb:!

Bobby F 09-27-2021 04:00 PM

Strings in both large-window sets of day/night shades decided to give up the ghost within two hours of each other.

(Great excuse to finally wash them!)

AlanTerry 09-27-2021 04:01 PM

Slide out topper ripped 7/8 off, needs replaced.
Drawer latch broken.

JUST MORE FUN FOR ME ��!

O Lloyd 09-27-2021 04:05 PM

That small 6" white Camco hose for the fresh water inlet,
sprung a leak between the hose and the brass fitting.
I called Camco. They had me send them a picture of the hose,
no receipt copy or anything else. Said they would replace it.

A couple of weeks later, TWO showed up in my mailbox.
Yay Camco!

O LLOYD

Tightwadted 09-27-2021 04:10 PM

Lippert dual synchronous controller for the schwintek bedroom slide, went out at Mammoth Cave. after lots of trial and error diagnosed as bad slide controller (Lippert 13398-C2)on one side, alternated plugging/unplugging leads to good side to extend/retract for rest of trip, till we got to Memphis where i got a new control box, $626 including tax, ouch

Stateboy 09-27-2021 04:17 PM

I just returned from a 33 day, 5,800 mile trip out west from Michigan. About a week into it I replaced the dual LP regulator that leaked for about one week before I could figure out where it was leaking from. It was probably related to the Jayco recall. One regulator, two pigtails and two 20 lb. tank refills later and I was on my way. On the way back to Michigan, I took a rock to the windshield and cracked it coming into North Dakota from Montana on US-2. The windshield was just replace today.

Hurricane-TX 09-27-2021 04:24 PM

Nothing has broken on my coach since April when one of the fittings on a trans cooler line started leaking. Had to order the part from Ford, but it was an easy fix.

Jake21 09-27-2021 05:42 PM

Black tank valve started leaking. Fun stuff.

kenwyatt 09-27-2021 06:25 PM

About 2/3 tru a 3,200 mile trip. So far the toilet lid hinge broke and I messed up the female connection on my 50 amp extension cord but that’s on me. Hoping that’s the extent of it for this trip.

Unplanned Tourist 09-27-2021 06:27 PM

Water heater pressure/temp safety valve decided to start leaking. A quick trip to Home Hardware in Golden, BC, and off to the races again. :cool:

Nice that we were dry camping within walking distance, and they had one in stock. :dance:

Also good to have T tape and tools along. :thumb:

Like my signature says, "You can always spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!" :laugh:

jondrew55 09-27-2021 06:28 PM

I stayed at Ft Wilderness. My wallet broke

96Bounder1st 09-27-2021 06:40 PM

Cabinet latch and got a rock in windshield.

Fortunately it did not spread and I got it fixed today. Stone chip repairs with my deductible are free so far.

Do not want to have to find someone to replace my one piece front windshield.

Terry

fcbbob15 09-27-2021 06:48 PM

On the way home from South Dakota my lights on my toad stopped working. Could not figure out why. We were about 150 miles from home so the DW drove the Jeep home. A couple of days later I hooked everything up and it worked. Have triple checked everything I can think of. Still working today.

BlackPalazzo 09-27-2021 06:51 PM

Miracles

West Virginia to Wyoming round trip in a Palazzo 37.4. Nothing broke. Miracles do happen.

SteveJ. 09-27-2021 06:55 PM

Last trip out the power wire on the Kenwoodin dash stereo came loose from the factory harness and shorted to ground taking out the fuse that poweres the stereo and horn relay trigger.

I took this opportunity to replace the itty bitty single din stereo with a double din with a touch screen. I also took this opportunity to replace the four 23 year old Delco speakers that had most of the foam cone holders rotted away. It all sounds a whole bunch better with fresh JBLs. Yeehaw.

jacwjames 09-27-2021 06:56 PM

Just before going to bed one night the generator died. Didn't need it so the next day drove ~400 miles but when I tried to start the generator and the transfer kicked in the generator would die. After trying to isolate the problem I found if I left one of the two breakers off from the inverter the generator would run and at least I could run the AC's but the inverter would not charge the batteries. So I had to cut my trip short.
After I got home I actually isolated it to one of the inverter circuits and it tested a dead short on a portion of the circuit. I was able to reroute power to fix the circuit.

Since then I actually installed a separate smaller inverter that has the capability of charging the batteries off the generator.

Bangorbob 09-27-2021 08:19 PM

Two times ago my water pump and radiator broke. The last time out was a rear wheel liner came off and ripped the valve stem off. Ruined inside rear tire. Stuff happens, then you sell.

bobmar 09-27-2021 08:22 PM

Flawless…….really…….did I just jinx it!!!

bokobird 09-27-2021 09:01 PM

Pocket door, the holder on the inside half fell off so it's always crooked now, except when fully closed, for some reason it looks right.

Rob_M 09-27-2021 09:14 PM

All the right side smartwheel controls (windshield wipers etc) quit working right after it quit raining on our way to the coast. Got home and took the dash apart and bypassed them and installed a new rocker switch so I would have wipers until I have time to diagnose. Now dash ac doesn’t work. 🤨. DW says “good job Tim Taylor”. [emoji52]

charliez 09-28-2021 06:22 AM

Nothing

IC2 09-28-2021 06:23 AM

Since Covid we haven't left our seasonal site for the odd trip but still had a few items that have needed repair/replacement.

- Zero G hose started leaking at the pedestal water bib fitting. From doing a bit of research, this is about the most common failure of these hoses.

- 10 and 5 foot sewer hoses failed.

- Both black and gray tank dump valves in the combination sewer line are jammed probably from using the wrong, non dissolving TP. The Valterra line end valve is holding things at bay until we bring the RC home in a couple weeks. Parts on hand.

- The the biggie cost wise. The converter/charger's cooling fan started 'singing'. Again! I replaced the converter with another brand then replaced that cheap ($6 @ AMAZON) fan in the old one with better bearings. Now have a spare for the 'next' time.

99-Am.Star 09-28-2021 07:33 AM

On our last trip out in late August, we suffered a major 12 volt system breakdown on our coach. The overhead bunk was stuck in the down position, the engine would not start and numerious othe r things would not work, Fortunatly The good folks at Sycamore hills RV in Lebano, Pa. were kind enough to come to my campsite and one of there mechanics was able to diagnose the problem in about 15 minutes. Next problem was he did not have a part to fix the problem. But again he went out of his way to get the part the needed delivered the day at their shop, and I went and picked it up and put the new part in. He showed me how to do the repair and it worked out fine. It was a blown 150Amp fuse in the auxiliary Battery box undrer the step. He said he had never seen that furse Blow before. So now i will know hoe to diagnose and replace if need be again, and I will buy a replaccement fuse for myself and if someone else need's one.

rffowler55 09-28-2021 08:21 AM

Our last trip 2 weeks ago we pulled into our camping site and when we tried to crank the coach to lower the jacks, absolutely no sound when we turned the ignition switch. Replaced the starter and solenoid and that was not the problem, 2 days later and, calls to Ford and Newmar, that did not provide a solution, we started exchanging relay switches and found the starter relay was the problem. We got the coach cranked in time to leave our site for our home trip and it was raining so hard you had to drive 45 on a 70 MPH stretch of highway when the passenger wiper arm broke. We made it to an exit to detach the broken wiper arm and the cargo door, where we keep our tools, picked that exact time for the latching mechanism to jump off track. I had to lay under the coach in a large mud puddle to get the door latch to disengage.

GypsyR 09-28-2021 08:55 AM

Driving down the road with roof AC's on and the generator stopped. Wouldn't restart. We took a handy roadside diversion (thrift store) and I had a look. No response from the start switch at the unit. Wiggled the main 12 volt cable and it tried to crank. Cleaned the connection at the cable (again), tightened it, and it fired right up. It won't stay running without a good 12 volts+ on that cable.
No more than walked around the RV to put the tools up[ and heard the generator chugging. Hustled back to find the choke stuck partially on. That's a new one. Gave it a wiggle and everything purred the rest of the weekend.
Reminds me to do a more thorough repair of the two issues before we leave again in a couple of weeks.

Jake21 09-28-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 5930634)
Flawless…….really…….did I just jinx it!!!

You’re screwed.

LETMGROW 09-28-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliez (Post 5930934)
Nothing

Same thing here. I did all my yearly maintenance when I brought my coach home from storage in May.
I installed the upgrade APB switches I had ordered from Ultra RV and replaced the carburetor on my generator. I've had the carb for a year and finally got around to installing it.
Didn't have to do anything else but put gas (ugh) in it every now and then. Getting ready to put it away again and it's just routine steps before storage.
Nice trouble free season.

yeloduster 09-29-2021 08:27 AM

Yeah BobMar you are in deep doo-doo now!

Headed to RMNP again next week. We're trying for a clean run this time. After this trip it is to the moth balls until next May! :sad:

bobmar 09-29-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloduster (Post 5932305)
Yeah BobMar you are in deep doo-doo now!

Headed to RMNP again next week. We're trying for a clean run this time. After this trip it is to the moth balls until next May! :sad:

Well, we’ll see on our trip next week.
[emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]

Marine359 09-29-2021 08:53 AM

Replaced a busted mounting bracket for one of the gas pistons on our Murphy bed just before leaving on a 3 week trip to Maine. First night out, the new bracket broke again. Shoulda checked and replaced the piston, which was frozen in the open position. Cheap parts used in building the RV. Silly me for not checking the piston.

Ldubs 09-29-2021 09:26 AM

I have the same issue pop up every trip. We have to go home too soon!

Happy travels.

kenwyatt 09-29-2021 01:33 PM

Still on the trip and did some routine checking in the engine compartment. Have aluminum coolant surge tank and found all 3 mounting tabs broken off at the welds on the tank. Off to Harbor Freight for a temp strap for the last Leg home. Sd and Ne have some rough roads. Sure there’s more to tighten and repair :sad:

D Gardiner 09-29-2021 01:46 PM

On our last trip in mid-June, we had one problem with the RV and two with the humans. My step-son and a bought of intestinal flu, and I was down a day with the same. The RV did not have any issues until 80 miles from home when the A/C condenser fan failed. The shaft to fan clip fell off and hogged out the plastic blade. Had to replace the entire fan assembly to fix that one.

On our previous Christmas trip nothing happened. The trip before that the generator ignition module failed in 100+ degree heat, running the roof A/C.

Old Harry 09-29-2021 03:06 PM

Nothing in last three trips broke on ours, but I do a lot of PM maintenance before we go. Last January 1st while in Chattahoochee Tennessee I fell and broke my left wrist. Spent New Years night in the ER getting a cast put on my arm.:sad:

The worst thing that broke was on our previous coach, a well used class “C”. We had the generator fall out of the coach. Luckily it did it just as we were backing into our camping spot. It had been mounted to the under side of the wooden floor which had rotted through. Tided it back up into place and when I got home welded up a new mounting system and bolted it to to the coach metal frame. Traded in the class “C” for our current class “A”.

old duffer 09-30-2021 08:19 AM

Windshield washer motor gave up the ghost during a driving thunder storm.

HD_Gator 09-30-2021 08:30 AM

Last trip? 2 things...

1. Black tank valve would not seal and I got the gift of poo when hooking up at our last stop on the last trip.

2. Roof membrane tried to blow off. Dealer was supposed to re-stretch the front portion of the roof and I did not trust it. I attached a go pro to the front cap and was able to see an 8 ft by 6 ft by 18 in bubble on the front of my trailer.
Ended up at a home depot for some wood furring, screws and dicor. Two strips of wood held everything in place until we returned from a 2,000 mile trip. Just got the unit back from the dealer last week and now have a new roof..

All of this on a unit that is 120 days old to us... FUN....

LETMGROW 09-30-2021 08:38 AM

The only thing I broke on my last trip was my wallet. I went to a snowmobile Grass Drag Race and Swap Show for the weekend two weeks ago with our class A. I bought one complete sled, one chassis, a spare engine, a set of three carburetors and a muffler. I had to call a friend and have him bring my truck and trailer down (86 miles one way) so I could send everything home. That was the first day.
I bought my wife a bag of "Kettle Corn". Can you believe $5.00 for a bag of "Kettle Corn"? It was good though.

DutchmenSpor 09-30-2021 08:42 AM

Trailer locked. Second set of keys inside the camper, and completely lost the only set we had with us.

We were able to resolve everything and nothing got broken. Long story.

TXiceman 09-30-2021 08:57 AM

We been lucky and have had very few "break downs" over the years. I guess one is buying a quality RV, and two is staying ahead of things on maintenance and repairs.

Eight plus years on the road and really only a couple of major items.

First was a 5-gallon bucket dropping off a truck (in 2014) in front of us and it took the oil filter out and ruined the engine in the truck by the time I got on the shoulder. His insurance paid for a new engine.

Next was an A/C fan wheel came apart.

Other than these two items, we pretty much just take care of the few issues as they come up.

Ken

Hit_the_Rhod 09-30-2021 09:05 AM

2600 mile trip from Kentucky to Washington State. Road construction West of Sioux Falls, SD construction gravel truck dropped a bunch of stuff. Result two star cracks in Pax windshield, and a 2' crack from a third . . . Kentucky has zero glass waiver, so they will fix at no cost to me. . . . This is out last trip with the coach as we are going full time cruising on our new boat. We'll be sorry to see the coach go, it's been absolutely GREAT, and we feel pampered every time we use it. We'll advertise it as soon as we get her cleaned out, and cleaned up!:dance:

LETMGROW 09-30-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod (Post 5933459)
2600 mile trip from Kentucky to Washington State. Road construction West of Sioux Falls, SD construction gravel truck dropped a bunch of stuff. Result two star cracks in Pax windshield, and a 2' crack from a third . . . Kentucky has zero glass waiver, so they will fix at no cost to me. . . . This is out last trip with the coach as we are going full time cruising on our new boat. We'll be sorry to see the coach go, it's been absolutely GREAT, and we feel pampered every time we use it. We'll advertise it as soon as we get her cleaned out, and cleaned up!:dance:

Good luck with the sale and 'Happy Cruising'. Check in once in a while and let us know about your adventures.
You'll have to change your username to "Hit The Water"

Marine359 10-01-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Gator (Post 5933415)
Last trip? 2 things...

1. Black tank valve would not seal and I got the gift of poo when hooking up at our last stop on the last trip....

I hope somebody got pictures. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

sibe 10-01-2021 04:59 AM

Cool wars stories...

Well my awning got stuck on one sode, older manual, left side upper gizmo jambed, lucky some one had a tall latter ..
Then Saturday nite, Genny surging after a new fuel pump 2weeks ago, back to the drawing board, carb on order.. LOL

winter coming what else can happen.. let you know monday, taking a short trip this weekend..

steppinstone 10-01-2021 06:04 AM

Well this was our first time out in august it started when turning into the camp ground blow out a brake line. I then checked in and they said do you have a water pressure regulator as the water pressure is very strong I replied yes. I set up camp and took dog for a walk came back to site and neighbor said I shut off your water cause it blow out your hose ( I put regulator on wrong end of hose. :facepalm:. Ok time for bed I'll replace hose in morning. Woke up bought new hose turned on water to find both faucets leaking in bathroom:banghead:. I went and bought new faucets and installed the new sink faucet then had to tear out hallway wall to replace shower. All good ready to pack up to leave, after repairing brake line went to close 20' awning found it tearing on corner. Got home ordered new awning hopefully this weekend can replace that. Next weekend we are hopefully going camping and nothing will go wrong.we'll have to seeee.

2cyber71 10-01-2021 06:29 AM

Here is a very rare one.
I was driving west on I 80 just west of Cleveland, OH when my stop engine light came on.
Wow! I was freaking out. I. Was praying to all the gods that it wasn’t my DEF head. I got to Great Lakes Freightliner in Monroeville,OH.
They found my accelerator pedal power cord was 1/2 disconnected. It was NEVER locked in place. They pushed it in to lock it and I was on my way. They said it probably was never locked in place.
I only lost about 2 hours.
If it completely fell off my motorhome would have be derated to 5 mph max.
Basically, it would have been necessary to tow it to a repair shop

69Stang 10-01-2021 06:45 AM

Last trip was 1300 miles and I didn't have anything break. It was a miracle.

Soppy 10-01-2021 06:53 AM

We were heading out for a weeks fishing trip in the boondocks with my rig. We got about 5 miles from home when we lost 4th gear and torque converter lockup. pulled over and tried an off /on ignition cycle to see if it would fix the problem . No luck so we continued on our way , just a little slower . I know many would have returned home . The spot is in a remote location so there was very little traffic on the road and no cell service. I have a complete service manual and scanner that I carry with me. Had a great time and got back home. Now to figure out the problem.

ThorAce2015 10-03-2021 02:36 PM

Budget.

szn8tt 10-03-2021 02:44 PM

Had a no start condition while at the campground. Previous day had a few sketchy starts. After much monkeying around, determined that it was the truck crank relay underhood in the black box. Luckily the box lid has a diagram with labels on the inside. Swapped "crank" for "a/c comp" (same style relay) and started right up.

Now carrying spares of these relays.

Sven55 10-03-2021 02:50 PM

Road vibration through Colorado.

Re: That's my story, what is yours?[/QUOTE]
I76 Colorado requires (RMNP)you to stay in Right lane unless you are passing. Some portions of the Right lane are so bumpy, it will drive you batty. Well the bathroom ceiling fan is controlled by a ceiling mount switch. The knob and hex nut both vibrated off, lucky I found them but could not attach them until I pulled the whole unit down and reached around inside to hold the switch and mounting hardware firm. Lock Tight applied this time. Also remote control for bedroom TV quit, was not the batteries either. Never did figure out what the problem was (and I used to be a TV repair man)but lucky I inherited a spare Flat Screen TV and I replaced it. My friend discovered that his new Winnebago 24D has a battery operated wind alert module built into the Canopy, that system beeps every 45 seconds when the batteries go bad, the whole campground could hear it! Took him hours to figure out what it was but it was an easy fix.

mark103 10-03-2021 02:52 PM

Toilet valve... again...

JoeyGirouard 10-03-2021 02:55 PM

Propane solenoid failed 300 km from home in Ontario on trip to the maritimes. Returned home and bypassed the solenoid with a brass 1/2 pipe connector, some pipe dope and we were back on the road in 2 days. Would have fixed it on the road had I known I could simply replace the solenoid, I though it was mandatory but the part is discontinued from the dealer. Dw now enjoys hot showers and heat and a functioning stove :)

rsgarrett 10-03-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tightwadted (Post 5930294)
Lippert dual synchronous controller for the schwintek bedroom slide, went out at Mammoth Cave. after lots of trial and error diagnosed as bad slide controller (Lippert 13398-C2)on one side, alternated plugging/unplugging leads to good side to extend/retract for rest of trip, till we got to Memphis where i got a new control box, $626 including tax, ouch

I had exactly the same controller go out about a month ago. $380 on Amazon. Just a plug-in replacement, no need to pay anyone. If they charged $300 for a three minute job they are seriously unethical.

asupt11 10-03-2021 02:59 PM

RV Issues

On my last trip heading to Florida from Penna. my basement heat pump failed. Had the heat pump repaired last season and lasted less than a year. Replaced and $5000.00 later back on the road

Booklove714 10-03-2021 03:00 PM

First of all I am laughing so hard at this question! Ain't it the truth! We bought ours in March and I swear every damn trip it's been something! So right now we are dealing with the water heater. Called dealer, told us one of three things....fuse? Nope. Circuit panel....that's next, but we won't know til we take her on the road again. We have to store it at a lot, so no hookups to check. Very slow and inconvenient! Wish us luck 🤞

Fast E 10-03-2021 03:02 PM

Left rear inner tire, side radiator. Still waiting for repairs.

Viasolis 10-03-2021 03:03 PM

Just back from 24 days to the UP and back. GFCI failure, CO/Propane alarm failure.

greenstreet 10-03-2021 03:03 PM

try some dielectric on the connecter for the toad lights quitting

mebop 10-03-2021 03:03 PM

Tire

Agree something always happens. Pulled into our site in Pigeon Forge, Tn and started set up and found the tag axle tire was totally flat and based on condition had been for some time. Fortunately it stayed on the rim and just flopped around keeping the rim just off the ground. The tire was destroyed from a concrete nail through the edge of the sidewall. Most likely picked up at a construction site on 75. This was my first tire experience in 18 years of rv travel. Fortunately I found a truck tire shop one mile from my park and drove 5 miles an hour to keep the tire on the rim.

Trent C 10-03-2021 03:07 PM

First extended trip for us with our new-to-us twenty year old Class A. A week out, the male 30 amp plug burned up. Had to drive 70 miles to gat a replacement. Then went to fill the propane tank for the generator, and the remote fill line had a pinhole. Luckily, we were able to gat by on what we had, and made it home a week later.
Our MH has two frame-mounted propane tanks. The one for cooking is accessible directly thru a hatch, but the one for the generator had a remote fill that ran from under the driver's seat all the way to the rear corner on the passenger side - even though the two tanks are side by side in the frame - and the lines were buried with all the electrical between the frame and the floor of the coach. I abandonded the lines and relocated the remote fill connections to beside the other tank. 5' hoses instead of 30', and don't have to move the coach to fill both.

repeach 10-03-2021 03:08 PM

Two months and 7107 miles, only issue was we lost the front heat pump. Both AC still work, just not the front heat pump. The part is already ordered should have it fixed next week.

100amp 10-03-2021 03:10 PM

HIT a tree Went home

doak125 10-03-2021 03:20 PM

Definition of RVing:
Going to nice places and fixing things😂

Trf85373 10-03-2021 03:25 PM

Last two days

Deming,NM Lightning struck transformer approx. 75' in front of our MH. When park power came back on most of our 110 V i dead.

Left Deming, rough ride! found broke U-bolt on rear suspension. MH at Freightliner service center in Tucson, AZ waiting for parts.

Dr. Mike 10-03-2021 03:26 PM

Our stairs broke (would not work).
Drove over SC roads…..stairs working again

RVsteve 10-03-2021 03:26 PM

The coolant fitting for the air compressor failed on my way north out of Las Vegas near Pahrump. Cruising along when the warning light "Turn Off Engine" came on. I checked and the thing was just pouring coolant out of the engine. I said this is not good. After dancing with my insurance company for an hour, found a tow company, and a place to fix the problem in Pahrump. Back on the road the next day. The tow cost more than the repair.

PBK Images 10-03-2021 03:28 PM

First night in Mesquite, NV starting a 30 day trip to Colorado and Utah from San Diego. Extending #3 slide (Pax-B/R), hydraulic hose connecting to the slide-out burst leaving one corner of slide about 6 inches extended. No one to work on hydraulic line as a lot of interior cabinet stuff has to come off to get at the slide actuator where one end of the burst line attaches. This requires an RV tech, not an auto mechanic, and I had no idea how to disassemble it. So--- after three days had to abort our vacation, secure slide with a heavy strap, and limp 400 miles back home. It will still be three weeks before anyone can start the repair so Colorado fall color photography will have to wait until 2022. (More about this will be posted in the CC owner's forum.)

2007 Country Coach Intrigue 500, 4 slides.

Springerman 10-03-2021 03:32 PM

Splendide is not splendid

2005 Southwind 37C. Wife was so happy to have combo washer/dryer. First time using it (my clothes) it kept rinse spin rinse spin rinse spin, would not stop. The control knob just kept spinning. It finally stopped but door lock would not open. Broke the handle. After having muscle bound son in law help me remove it from cabinet I brought out the biggest Craftsman flathead screwdriver I have and was able to open the door to get my still wet after 5 days clothes out. Because we were still on the road we put machine back in place. Plan is now to throw it away and make a nice new bathroom cabinet and lighten up the coach by 100 or more pounds!!! I’ve watched the YouTube videos for the electro magnetic door lock bypass but just the little plastic handle replacement is $50-$80 on Amazon. I don’t think it’s worth fixing because of the limited capacity anyway.

Suru11 10-03-2021 03:33 PM

We left with a full fresh water tank. Two days later the indicator said we were down to 1/3rd. However the grey tank indicator only said 1/3rd and the black was empty. No leaks that we could find and the water pump only turned on when we turned on a faucet. I guess the fresh water tank indicator is bad.

dovidas1944 10-03-2021 03:34 PM

Well we had a tire blow out on the Tow dolly the first day. At second stop our myRV controller panel died. Next day kitchen faucet stated leaking from around cartridge. All in a two week run. Previous trip was 6 week 6400 mile run in 2019 we had no problems. Lippert overnighted new panel to RV Park. Got new house style faucet at Lowes and RV Park had handyman on staff who installed it for $60. Bad luck but every thing worked out.

Johnynorthla 10-03-2021 03:36 PM

My toilet flush valve is leaking!

Ajhyman 10-03-2021 03:37 PM

2019 Essex Back up Camera So far had to replace 4 of them Bad batch

Busycakes 10-03-2021 03:41 PM

While in south Texas brake line sprung a leak due to corrosion. Made it back home with 4 qts of brake fluid, duct tape and engine braking. Got home and stairs quit, bad controller. Then took it to shop because I’d noticed 4 of the exhaust manifold bolts had popped on V-10. 6 week advance Appt with Ford dealership and then 7 weeks in shop. Most of that waiting on parts.

Civrel 10-03-2021 03:45 PM

Easier question is what didn’t break?

Main slide got stuck extended

Water heater pressure valve

Door lock/latch will not stay adjusted and rattles

Hood vent latch vibrates lose and rattles

Valve stem got broken off. Guess that one is my fault

Didn’t run the furnace, but it also vibrates.

Crossing fingers for an approval from Jayco for warranty work.

FCOKC 10-03-2021 03:50 PM

Cooling coil fans stopped on Norcold refrigerator.
As soon as I got that fixed the electric toilet quit flushing. Been wanting to replace that toilet for a long time anyway lol.

Sossage2t 10-03-2021 03:56 PM

The Short Version...

traveling from CA to TX, returning though LV to meet up with some friends. The HUEI pump went out on my '05 Beaver Monterey. 12.5 hours to get it towed. I mean on a low bed. Two weeks for the truck repair shop to replace the high pressure oil pump.We had to rent a U-haul truck to get home. No car rental would rent us a car one way, and we had a 24 foot trailer to take home. We drive our toad back to Vegas to drive the coach home. It doesn't run right, but it does drive. We get home and take it to Caterpillar for repairs... Now we need a set of injectors.
This RV experience probably sounds familiar to some people.
I put over $15,000.00 dollars into this fun vehicle. On just one trip. weeeeeeee!

I still love the life style.
I've bee RVing for over 35 years.
This is the first time I ever broke down on the road.

Keep on trucking

ken s 10-03-2021 04:11 PM

onan

left home on 9-2 headed for branson, mo, about two hours out lost the generator. when i finally got time to open the onan 8kw diesel generator, i saw pieces of magnets :sad: , also seemed to be locked up as i couldn't turn it. after reading many post here i see this is a common problem . will repair it when i get the time. thanks to all for the great info .

BigBillSD 10-03-2021 04:13 PM

We just got back from our Great River Road trip. About 9500 miles long. A few things broke during the trip. First was I brought in the front hydraulic slide without looking and snapped off a thick Cherry Trim panel. Second thing was the Vacuum Break broke and leaked some water inside the coach and the third thing was the biggie. Hydraulic Jacks crapped out in Santa Fe on the way back home. Luckily our next stop was Williams AZ and AZPete came to our rescue! And icing to that cake was he was willing to work with my extended warranty folks and he got more than $2100 of the cost from them, which was amazing as they do not like to pay for anything. They are not fun to work with but he handled them like the pro he is.

TonyinAZ 10-03-2021 04:15 PM

Sitting in a koa right now with lci levelers that won’t work. Broke on my way home. Using slide out without them in level sites so far. Hope to get repaired when limp back

Violaa8488 10-03-2021 04:16 PM

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bay

During six week trip thru the south east a rain storm flooded the inside of our coach. The gaskets between the AC unit and the roof had dried out while stored outdoors in Mesa in 2020. Fixed in Myrtle Beach for $575.
Then the hydraulic emergency brake decided to only release at its own discretion. Got it released in Peoria Illinois and drove straight home to KC.
The parts are obsolete so a conversion to manual emergency brake was done by Freightliner for the tune of $6,800. Wow, didn’t see that one coming.

magnun 10-03-2021 04:16 PM

Washer/dryer woes

Night before trip to Big Pine Key in the lower Florida keys my DW decided to wash a small load of clothes at home. Transferred wet clothes to the dryer only to find that the dryer decided to take a crap. No problem she said, We’ll dry them in the Coach. Finally get down to Big Pine key a couple of days later and needed to wash clothes again, so she loaded the washer in the coach and started washing only to find that the washer wouldn’t spin the clothes. So the washer in the coach decided to take a crap. Will Be busy with repairs on washer and dryer.

mark 62 10-03-2021 04:26 PM

Windshield And Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer Unit

RTegarini 10-03-2021 04:28 PM

Last trip out, serpentine belt blew-up going up grade, six miles short of destination. Friday, after 5:00 pm on a three-day weekend. Of course. -RT

pvcampbell 10-03-2021 04:44 PM

9,500 miles in to a 10,000 mile, 5-month trip, and almost home with no real issues. There's something to fix pretty much every day, but all small stuff (knock on wood!).

Glad I bought a pre-Covid rig.

JHowell 10-03-2021 04:45 PM

Blown tire

On way home to Ohio in June blown front tire, hit bridge with Monaco. We were all ok but 7600 to fix mh when we got home. All done and ready to go again.
PS tire 6 years old with 23000 on it. Was perfect when left Florida. Now all six new tires extra 4500 spent.
The greatness of owning a RV

DSL417 10-03-2021 04:50 PM

My billfold is broke…diesel prices up a full $0.75 a gallon from same time last year. Not a political statement, just a truth.

Steve 716 10-03-2021 05:00 PM

Failed A/C compressor

My rear engine mounted dash air conditioner compressor locked up and broke the belt. It was hot outside and we had to run our generator to operate our roof top ACs while traveling. Upon arrival at our destination I drove to a Cummins shop to have them install my spare belt and that is when we discovered that the compressor was shot. That cost me two hours of diagnostics at $175 per hour for a tech who didn’t have any idea how AC works. I think it also was the first time he installed a belt. At the end of his two hours of wasted time (he did get the belt installed) another tech came over and it took him maybe five minutes to diagnose the problem. I ordered a new compressor from Spartan, installed it myself, located the ports at the front of my coach, and a local home A/C tech came by and charged my system. Cummins kept my $350 donation.

NorCal Hal 10-03-2021 05:01 PM

June was our 6,225 mile , "20 State Adventure Trip" according to our 16 year old grandson. We started in Washington state and dove down to Redding, CA. to pick him up - no problems.

We took the back way out of Redding through Susanville to Reno - no problems. Spent the night in Sparks at Marina RV and headed for Elko, NV the next stop - no problems. We made it to Carlin while keep a careful eye on the Diesel level as I hadn't filled up since Canyonville, OR and wanted to make Wells, NV - no problems.

About 29 miles west of Elko on I-80 just after topping a grade we heard a LOUD bang. Thinking I had blown a tire my first reaction was to look at the Pressure Pro TPMS which was all green - no problem. Then I realized the engine has shut down - problem? Staying in the right lane were I had been driving I shifted into neutral and attempted a re-light - which it would no do - possible problem.

Now traveling down the highway in a somewhat unguided 40 ton missile I looked for a safe and close landing pad - no problem. Wide open spaces, light traffic, no construction, cool but clear weather and wide open berms so I hit the emergency flashers and wrestled (no power steering) off the highway to a successful landing - no problem.

I tried starting the engine and could hear it crank but not start - probably a problem. I got out and walked back to the engine compartment and before opening the engine cover noted Diesel covering the tow dolly, towed car and the back of the coach - hmmm definite problem! An inspection of the engine and crawling under the coach revealed Diesel either covering or dripping from places it shouldn't be - yep a definite problem.

My first assumption, due to the loud bang and the fuel everywhere, including dripping off the front of the engine block, was a blown injector. A sheriff deputy was quickly on the scene and while my wife and I called our insurance company with limited cellular bars (of course) we finally arranged for transport to the Cummins Elko. Making a long story shorter- It was by law, Saturday afternoon, as breakdowns are NOT permitted to occur during normal working hours. So, while I dealt with being transported to Cummins my wife rented a hotel. It was 100+ degrees, the coach had come to a stop on a slope where the brakes locked up due to loss of air, NOT within reach of Cummins's electrical outlet and smelling of Diesel I would have been the ONLY person sleeping in the coach.

Monday AM, being first in line, it only only took them a half hour to determine that the secondary fuel filter, that I had bought and installed four months and about 2,900 miles earlier, had separated at the side seam spraying fuel, under several thousands pounds of pressure, "everywhere." Had, I only turned on the key and walked back I would have seen it myself. The technician told me I was lucky it wasn't an injector as we would be down a minimum of a week and probably closer to two. He said they "might," and did, have a filter in stock.

Cummins said that it "rarely happened" and was surprised that the Fleetguard filter had failed. By this time I had spent about $ 1,400. $ 625 for the flatbed transport, $ 470 for their two hours of work, including pressure washing, and the new filter and $ 300 for a hotel room. Elko was having both a rodeo and a mining conference that weekend so rooms were at a premium IF you could find one.

This trip was choregraphed in great detail and we were now two days behind schedule. By driving ten hours each of the next two days we were able to skip our stops at Cheyenne and Fort Bridger WYO and get back on track in Hastings NE. Other than a flat tire on our TOAD in Hastings and the DEF light coming on about Idaho everything else went splendidly. The DEF header was replaced by Tiffin under warranty.

I filed a warranty claim with Fleetguard and Cummins Elko sent the failed filter to the claims dept in TN. A few days later I received a call requesting receipts for all the related expenses arrangements for reimbursement. The next day I received another call from the same Fleetguard guy, who, somewhat embarrassingly, informed me that one of their engineers had determined that it was NOT a Fleetguard filter but a Chinese knockoff, made to look like theirs - oops another problem. So, the "deal" I got on Amazon was NOT such a great savings. The Fleetguard customer service man said he had my filter and a Fleetguard filter sitting side-by-side on his desk and he couldn't tell the differences until the engineer pointed them out.

They were kind enough to return the failed filter along with a few new filters for the inconvenience. I STILL can't see the difference. Dimensionally and color wise they "look" identical. It came with the same red end plug, the labels are the same size and color. They use the same Fleetguard / Cummins FF63009 part number, however the word Fleetguard is missing from the label.

After LOTS of calls, e-mails and research Amazon and the filter company did cover all of my expenses. One other item. When the transport driver loaded the coach onto the flatbed he neglected to tie up or remove the mud flap / rock guard so managed to gouge up the stainless steel lettering and logo - for which they also reimbursed us.

Do I win anything for the BEST 20 day adventure?

We were booked to drive from WA to MA for a 29 day September New England Fall Rally but after this trip and the bad roads and detours we encountered neither WE, nor the coach, wanted to risk the adventure - so we cancelled. I was surprised the windshield didn't pop out a few times when we hit some of the pot-holes.

Merry 10-03-2021 05:13 PM

Compared to some, mine is pretty tame. My in-mirror blind spot monitoring decided to shut itself off. Easy to turn back on through the computer, but annoying

rlcarson2 10-03-2021 05:15 PM

On our way home to Colorado from North Carolina, step motor bit the dust, black tank spray nozzle clogged and the driver's side power window became separated from the metal sleeve that guides the window back and forth.
Not sure what I would do if I couldn't repair things myself. Our coach would probably spend most of its time at a service shop.

cwotbg 10-03-2021 05:16 PM

While camping in Pensacola our hot water heater went out. Called every service tech I could find but everyone was booked. Had cold showers til we got home.

KarenTrefz 10-03-2021 05:22 PM

We were getting ready to leave for a trip to Oregon. Husband went out to disconnect the shore power when the handle on the service bay door broke. No way to open door. Ended up cancelling trip and taking to repair place. Ordered 2 sets of the handles so we would have a spare in the future if it ever breaks again. Husband also cut a hole in the bottom of the service bay so he could reach up inside to disconnect power, water and sewer if it ever happens again.
2020 Jeep Trailhawk

jeffcarpente 10-03-2021 05:28 PM

Operator Error

While packing up from our stay with grandkids at Jellystone Park in WI. I forgot to close one on the basement doors when bringing in the main slide out. For those of us old enough, Snap.....Crackle.....Pop!!!!! and Not the cereal. BIG OOPS. :blush:

Old enough to know better but dumb enough to do it again! :facepalm:

wabear 10-03-2021 05:54 PM

Found the fresh water tank filling up while hooked on city connection.
My diagnosis says the valve to fill it is bad.
Haven’t messed with it further and it may just go to the shop. If I’m wrong then I’m just wasting time and money.

bgkoontz1 10-03-2021 06:07 PM

My crappy schwintech slide broke on out way home from Maine. Had to manually get it in. The motor home is still in the shop

dknitz 10-03-2021 06:33 PM

what broke

Traveling south on I-79 just past Morgantown, West Virginia, I noticed the Cummins service center. I smiled and said to myself "thank God I do not need you". Ten miles further down, the motorhome died and I was able to pull to the shoulder of the highway. Opened the engine bay cover only to notice the new Fleetguard fuel filter installed in June was cracked and leaking. Called the Cummins service center to make amends. They had the filter but could not come out for road service. They gave me the name of another shop who picked up the filter assembly and had me back running within 2 hours. I will never think any thoughts about a service center again.... learned my lesson. I did call Cummins to ask why the filter should crack in such a short time. They asked where it was purchased; I replied Amazon, only to be told it was probably a Chinese knock-off and in the future purchase the filters directly from Cummins. Another lesson learned. Does it ever end??

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP

Trekkers 10-03-2021 06:41 PM

On our current trip, the seal on one of the jack seals ruptured so it kept slipping down while driving. At first we would pull over and retract it before it got too low. It was happening about every 10 minutes so pulling over became a nuisance. We found we could hit “All Retract” while continuing to drive so we were able to get to the jack manufacturer, Equalizer, in northern Indiana which was about 130 miles away. They completely replaced it under warranty and we were off again.
We have traveled up to 10 months a year and have owned 5 different rigs. Most trips we have had no problems. However, over the years, things have come up. When we were beginners we broke our fresh water tank in January because we didn’t understand that our basement was not heated. One year we had an air bag in the suspension break, giving a very rough ride till we could get to a dealer. One time we had an outside dualie tire blow. Another year we had the engine fan belt break. One time the engine derated because a sensor went bad.
We considered those all inconveniences but never caused us to lose the love of RVing or prevented us from continuing our travels.

jeddpearl 10-03-2021 06:41 PM

Nothing major other than the fridge quit working after we had it washed. Water had got into the outside vent and the lemon switch kicked it off. I let it cool off for a few hours and then took vent off and placed a magnet on the black box. I held it there for a few minutes and the red light kicked on and we heard the fridge start. Fortunately, it was not a big deal.

Ask this question again next year after we travel 2000 miles to Palm Springs for the winter and back to Indianapolis :eek:

Krikati 10-03-2021 06:42 PM

Silver link stopped working. Cruise control went kaput. Passenger seat controls stopped working. Can't zero the trip odometer. Inner rear tires overheating. + about 10 more things all on the maiden voyage of my New Aire.