iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

RRBattani 10-03-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st (Post 5930490)
Cabinet latch and got a rock in windshield.

Fortunately it did not spread and I got it fixed today. Stone chip repairs with my deductible are free so far.

Do not want to have to find someone to replace my one piece front windshield.

Terry

We had the one piece windshield on our Windsor replaced this past March. I lowered our glass deductible to $250.00 about a month prior to filing the claim. That is a $3800.00 piece of glass installed.

Igeaux 10-03-2021 06:47 PM

When we had the Thor, every trip was an exercise

in repairing the Generac Generator, fresh water plumbing and reattaching things that fell off.

Only 1 problem on the road with the Country Coach. Idler Pulley bearing froze up just West of Junction TX. Great folks in that town made the repair painless.

During Hurricane Ida, the DC voltage regulator on the Onan Generator gave up. Strange results. I'll make a dedicated post about the problem, trouble shooting and repair.

Bobby F 10-03-2021 06:49 PM

This is turning into one of those threads to which you send your friends when they ask if they should buy an RV.

:whistling:

kbenfield 10-03-2021 06:51 PM

Mysterious leak under coach. Know it’s fresh water thank the Lord. Also ice maker tubing crimped and leaked. It’s always something.

Jarlaxle 10-03-2021 07:00 PM

Nothing. The Soviet Bloc build quality of most RVs is why I built my own.

Jarlaxle 10-03-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby F (Post 5937453)
This is turning into one of those threads to which you send your friends when they ask if they should buy an RV.

:whistling:

They need to know that the build quality is typically on a level that would have the builders of Trabants, Ladas, and Yugos hanging their heads in shame. RVs are like Soviet-era cars: expect something to break on every trip.

BlueRidgeTim 10-03-2021 07:19 PM

Rear wheel speed sensors finally went bad on my Sprinter chassis on the outbound leg of a 6day trip. This caused numerous colorful dashboard warnings to come up and cruise control to quit working for the rest of the trip. Didn’t cause any breakdown though & taking it to Mercedes for recall pair in two days.

Streamintrip 10-03-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve 716 (Post 5937286)
My rear engine mounted dash air conditioner compressor locked up and broke the belt. It was hot outside and we had to run our generator to operate our roof top ACs while traveling. Upon arrival at our destination I drove to a Cummins shop to have them install my spare belt and that is when we discovered that the compressor was shot. That cost me two hours of diagnostics at $175 per hour for a tech who didn’t have any idea how AC works. I think it also was the first time he installed a belt. At the end of his two hours of wasted time (he did get the belt installed) another tech came over and it took him maybe five minutes to diagnose the problem. I ordered a new compressor from Spartan, installed it myself, located the ports at the front of my coach, and a local home A/C tech came by and charged my system. Cummins kept my $350 donation.

We had the same issue, the only one to date that has shutdown the Coach on the road. We were in SC and the check engine light and shutdown warning came on. Luckily we were 200 yds from a county school complex and pulled in. I saw the remains of a sepentine belt dangling out the rear.

A call to Protective XtraRide, our warranty company, and they sent out a tech from a diesel repair shop about 25 mi away. The tech immediately diagnosed that the "real" problem was that the dash a/c compressor had locked up and chewed up and threw the serpentine belt.

XtraRide sent a wrecker to tow us to the shop where they pulled the compressor and ordered a new one to be delivered ASAP. 2 days later the repairs were completed. XtraRide reimbursed us for two nights in a motel and all meals. We were out $100 deductible, freight, shop supplies and the CC fee the shop charges, a total of $360 out of $2,650 including the tow by a 4 axle recovery vehicle.

No muss, no fuss; XtraRide was no problem with which to deal.

Susie410 10-03-2021 07:25 PM

The window above the sink… $500 repair….

Kxbronco 10-03-2021 07:25 PM

Living room slide suddenly stopped extending on the right side. Crawled underneath and found a broken bolt. Realigned and replaced bolt and all is good. Waste ball seal in the toilet started leaking….part ordered. And last but not least, Kwikee steps stopped going out when the stairs are retracted with switch turned off and the door is opened, otherwise works fine when the switch is on. Will dig into the steps this week.

MikeandGini 10-03-2021 07:32 PM

Something happens to us every trip

We just got back from camping. The last trip our awning motor went out (our camper is only 2 yrs old). By the time we paid someone to come look it (in the pouring rain) then had to buy the motor and have someone else come put it in we are out about $700! This time our truck battery went dead and wouldn't start. Luckily the camp host had a portable charger. And we had to go to buy a new one. So another almost $300 out. We've also put a new bathroom faucet in, new shower plumbing and had the trailer rewired. All since July 2019.

KingCruzer 10-03-2021 07:43 PM

How about the hitch extender snapping at the weld and my toad on a blue ox broke away? Fortunately I just exited the Interstate in Interior SD and was only going 35 mph.

TucsonTom 10-03-2021 07:47 PM

Kitchen Slideout

On our last trip our passenger front slide got stuck in the out position! That slide is hydraulic. We were in Flagstaff, AZ on our way to Moab,UT. With the help of several Good Samaritans we tried a variety of solutions to no avail. So, I drove to Moab with an extra 24” on my right side! Called an RV service in Moab. They came out and we tried a bunch of things, once again with no result. So, I drove back to Tucson with my slide still out! I thankfully did not get pulled over by the popo. We had to wait a month to get an appointment at our usual dealer/ repair facility. That was June 23rd. Our coach is still in the shop awaiting parts. We don’t even have a potential manufacture date, let alone a shipping confirmation! I’m still paying $250 a month for our covered parking slot. No idea when our coach will be fixed!

That’s or biggest failure so far.
Tom & Mimi
2010 Tiffen Phaeton
2004 Trailblazer toad

bro61021 10-03-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloduster (Post 5930270)
Those of us who have been doing the RV game for a while realize that something goes wrong on almost every trip. I thought it might be fun...well maybe not fun...it might be interesting if we talked about our latest mishap...big or small!

My latest; in the middle of the night while camping near Rocky Mountain National Park the canister that contains the water filter split up the side and all our water was pumped out onto the ground. Fortunately the rupture was in an area that was open to the outside and NO damage was done.

I was able to remove the water filter and pull the plumbing together for a temporary fix until we got home. I paid $21 for a new water filter housing from Lowes, $15 for plumbing pieces and 3 trips to Lowes because I can never anticipate everything I need!

That's my story, what is yours?

Last time out my Progressive 30amp EMS surge protector burnt up along with my RV 30 amp plug. Last January I had a blow out that tore up my wheel well and outer underbelly.

rcnuts 10-03-2021 07:52 PM

We stopped for a break on our way to a campground in Penna. The water pump ran and ran before it finally built pressure. I checked it again at the campground (before hooking up to their water supply) and again it ran a minuet or 2 before building pressure. Its the same pump since we bought this older coach so Im figuring on replacing it before the next trip. Easily swapped out part.

Mark_T 10-03-2021 08:05 PM

The wire for the propane solenoid. Easy fix strip a wire and electrical tape.

RickMR 10-03-2021 08:10 PM

Well, returning home from northern MN stoped for fuel at a T/A in Wisconsin. Fueled up and headed out. About two hrs later stopped at a rest stop to stretch. Was doing my normal walk around and discovered something all over our Jeep toad. Holy crap!! I had left the fuel cap off after filling. Why, the teather had come loose and I had to set it on the pump to fuel. Also spread down the rear side of coach. Thank the lord it began to rain for the next two days. Sure helped. Fix….NAPA. $34.00. Still a mess to clean up.

Thekargs 10-03-2021 08:14 PM

3 two thousand mile trips to Florida, nothing. 6000 mile trip out west and 1 toilet valve broke 2 wipers random location stop when on delay 3 rear main seal started leaking requiring replacement when I got home 4 leveling Jack's stopped working, replaced main relay on pump and then had to replace Jack that would not retract properly, seal was bad. Expensive trip maintenance wise.

5240 10-03-2021 08:20 PM

More Junk from Dom......

4th day into 7 day trip from MN to FL the Dom.... refrigerator decides it is not going to refrigerate any longer and quits! Stuff the coolers with ice and carry on cuz the ole song and dance from Dom....Industries is not getting it fixed along with their awning that delaminated 14 months ago and still waiting for parts. A little bit warm at the campground in NC and the cabin overhead fan emits the "Green Light" of death. Thank goodness the rooftop ac is still working. At FL home now and just bought a Furrion Refrigerator to replace that piece of ..... Dom.....
Grin and Bear it Happy Campers.

plumber64 10-03-2021 08:28 PM

Inverter went in the crapper. Two thousand dollars later out of the crapper. Going on a 5 day trip and waiting for the next thing to break.

Buckeye Boy 10-03-2021 08:34 PM

Cigarette Lighter for CPAP

The wall cigarette lighter used for my CPAP machine failed. Restless night while boondocking.

rebfan 10-03-2021 09:10 PM

While driving through St Louis a passing motorist waved me down and I looked in my mirror to see my belongings scattered along I-64. Immediately pulled over to discover that I had a flat tire on my travel trailer, The tire had shredded, tearing a 12 inch hole in the bottom of the trailer. The hole was under the kitchen cabinets allowing a lot of pots and pans to fall out. I put on the spare then went looking for a replacement tire on a Sunday since I didn’t want to go the last 300 miles without a spare. I have since reinforced the floors above the tires with thick plywood

dms1220 10-03-2021 09:55 PM

Good question

Woke up in middle of night and no DC power. Was in a park with AC connected. Called mobile repair guy and after testing batteries, converter power in/power out, fuses, and everything else he could think of he had no clue. About 2 hrs later it sounded like the battery disconnect beeped and DC power back on.

Got to next destination and same thing. Woke up to no DC power. This time took it in to RV repair shop and they tested everything and all tested ok and they too said no idea. It still works sometimes and sometimes not.

Don't know if it's related but during all this had to replace slide out controller.

Dutchstar53 10-03-2021 10:25 PM

I’m driving I-80 in Nevada going up a grade. High temp came on…it was rising. Overheating, goes into limp mode. Thankful that there was a spot to pull over. Cooled it down. Husband took over. Same thing happens to him. We make it to summit. Cool it down. Make it to Elko (mostly all downhill). We had been in a lot of dust. Husband washed out our side radiator. It was pretty dirty. Leaving Elko, didn’t make it far. Injector pressure sensor failure. Husband decides to keep driving. Meanwhile I’m doing research. It was intermittent. Coach would slow down/stall, then it was ok. Made it to Reno. After research, calling Freightliner determined we needed new sensor and o-ring. Called CAT. In stock! Husband replaced it. Not easy. Hard to get to. Took a special wrench unless you have magic 7 in pliers! On the way to get the part from CAT we took our trash. In the trash enclosure were some big wood blocks. Someone threw them out! We put them in the Jeep. Came in handy as it was difficult to get to the part to remove & replace. A ladder wouldn’t have worked. When we left the next morning, we had a scare. Just pulling out onto the freeway, we temporarily stalled, then started going. Never happened again. We have since taken it in for a major service and had them double check the codes (we have a Silverleaf that reads/stores codes, they cleared out). They found nothing and pretty sure we fixed both problems, by cleaning the radiator & replacing sensor. Never a dull moment.

Dutchstar53 10-03-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingCruzer (Post 5937526)
How about the hitch extender snapping at the weld and my toad on a blue ox broke away? Fortunately I just exited the Interstate in Interior SD and was only going 35 mph.

80 miles from home after 3000 miles coming back from Florida this past March. I’m driving (there’s a theme, see my other post), taking exit from I-5 in CA onto a 4 lane highway. Really tight turn, so going very slow 20-25. Baseplate came off from our Mini Cooper, still attached to tow bar. Mini crossed both lanes and ended up against the center overpass structure. By the grace of God, did not hit anyone. Still gives me chills thinking what might have happened.

SurfSide3311 10-03-2021 10:53 PM

Far back Universal joint, had all three replaced.

rrambeau 10-03-2021 11:00 PM

Blew two tires July 5 th in mountains of KY. Ripped out a bunch of wires and we had 0 power. Tire shops closed and couldn’t be towed without tires. Literally took 3 days and at least 50 calls to GoodSam ( another story)to get towed off mountain. We were on busy interstate with a million semis whizzing by. Our 3 day trip took two weeks to get home and yesterday we picked it up from shop to repair body damage from blowouts and we have no ac, fridge or 12volt power. We had fridge issue day before we left but 12v new and they couldn’t figure any of this out. When it’s finally fixed we r selling it.

Tahoejeep 10-04-2021 03:47 AM

Slide wouldn’t extend. Thankfully our coach is very livable without it.

I posted here and even called Tiffen, but I STILL cannot find the slide controller! And it looks like the controller is what failed.

Bat Dude 10-04-2021 05:00 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wipers

Well our nearly new HR Invicta (2020) with 5 K miles had the Vindshield Vipers bite me on the sit upon.

Worked last time used them.

Note to self before heading off on ANY trip check all chassis functions. Hose are on a nice chk list.

Heading to the Pacific NW and down Calif. coast to avoid the seasonal Ice Age and advancing glaciers in Mich.

Only about 35 minutes south of the house we hit moderate rain. Opps no wipers. So we sat it out for 10 minutes then drove to the nearest parts store open on a Sunday. Bought a package of mixed fuses for chassis. After a long bit of searching the Internet I found that the fuse #11 under that dash (30 amp green) controlled washer-wipers. Check and it was good. No joy. Not sure what else to check.

Motored on.

Just about Chicago we hit very very heavy rain.

4 lanes I was in 2nd from left as we were approaching a interchange turn towards I-80.

Wife kept saying (not all that quietly) pull over , pull over... Hmm we are moving at 55 MPH and slowing with limited viability there was no way to pull our 36' rig and toad to the right across 2 other very heavyily trafficked lanes.

So looks like I will rainX the daylights out of the windscreen as we need to forage on.

The wiper moter has a tag Kit 100-A3 or something like that.

I will try call REV RV support once they are open this AM and see what it will take to get a replacement. Not sure any Ford dears will have parts for the F53.

Steve578 10-04-2021 05:16 AM

I had one of the aluminum wheels develop a hairline crack which caused a slow leak. That was the second time for the same problem.

Loucurr 10-04-2021 05:37 AM

My last trip the A/C went out ...I have a basement A/C so it was not an easy fix :facepalm: This happened in July while camping in Florida...ugh! :blink:

xrated 10-04-2021 05:44 AM

We have a 2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M, which is a 44' long, triple axle Toy Hauler with a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. We just returned home yesterday after a 5,143 mile trip out west to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and the Moab area. The total on things that broke on this long trip with roads that sometimes felt like we were on an "Offroad Test Track" was.......one of the metal hangers that hold up the 3" pipe that you hook the stinky slinky to when dumping the gray and black tanks. I ended up using three zip ties as a temporary support and they are still holding even as we pulled into the driveway yesterday. I'll certainly make a permanent repair, but that was it.....one support hanger. I love my Grand Design and the reliability that it has shown us over the past 2 years.

BINGHAMD 10-04-2021 05:57 AM

Yesterday….low battery and engine running hot. Fortunately was less than a mile from a Loves/Speedco. Broken belt……> 2 hours down time to get a belt from Freightliner, but we’ll take it. Wasn’t TOO bad on the wallet and they knew what they were doing. The spring trip was another story though lol!!

Cloudbuster 10-04-2021 06:20 AM

Ours was a leaking left rear axel seal. That wheel had just had the Tone Ring replaced. As no Ford dealer (contacted 6) would look at it a truck shop replaced seal & bearings as mental was found do to loose axel nut. Then on the way back south same seal started leaking again. This time in heavy stop & go traffic south of DC on I-95 it reached a point dripping onto the hot brakes causing enough smoke inside the coach to set off the fire detector. Now a week in the shop again. A F-53 2020 chassis.

KPMullen 10-04-2021 06:29 AM

I love it.

Someone should create an "RV Repair Bingo" board. ;-)

First one to get five in a row wins.

Kevin

PB2 10-04-2021 07:22 AM

Valve stems.

We got new tires on the rig before we left on a 4000 mile swing thru the west - ordered them from Costco but they were not able to install them because the camper was too big for their lift. They found a truck tire installation place for us and it turned out to be a real fly-by-night outfit. They got it done but we were not impressed with the work.

We headed out a few days after tires and got to our first stop. Found the two inside rear tires were completely flat. Aired them up and heard air escaping from the valve stems. The fly-by-night tire place did not replace the valve stems! This was on a Sunday. Called a tire place that was open and he was unable to do it that day but could on Monday, but it was $50 a tire to do anything. We said OK, got to get it done... On a whim called Walmart's Auto Care Center and they would install new valve stems for $3. I asked what the labor was. $3. I explained they were inside dual tires. $3. Cool! We went over and i had them do all 6! $18, what a deal! Left town and about 5 miles out hear a "KAPOW". Truck was driving fine, but that sure sounded like a tire blowout. Pulled over and inside rear tire completely flat. Limped into the next small town and pulled into a tire place. He pulls the tire off and finds a 6" split in the sidewall, and puts on our spare. I go in to pay and he says he carries both the brand of the damaged tire and the spare and would just charge it off to road hazard - no charge. We're on our way. Got a replacement tire from Costco.

jerryd151 10-04-2021 07:36 AM

Dolly Problems

The fender nut got loose on my dolly. I could see in the mirror the fender bouncing around on the tire. Lost one nu so I tightened the remaining nut and made it home where I glued new lock nuts on both fenders.

Lincolnboy2 10-04-2021 07:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pocket door to rear bathroom has a small plastic lock lever that keeps the pin from the track in place. It broke. :(

Lincolnboy2 10-04-2021 08:01 AM

Residential Whirlpool fridge fan went out slowly over the last 2-3 excursions in the Expedition. LOL. New indoor fan (thankfully all fixed from inside and didn't have to remove the refrigerator from the cubby in the slide) and she's back to even better than ever cooling and incredibly, the ice maker is operating better than ever!!

Geammpad 10-04-2021 08:02 AM

Nothing that wasn't already broken. These items like hinges and latches, new floor and carpet, slide cover, can now wait till I winterize it. Just like owning a house, fix what's important first. Used to own a boat and now a 2004 Admiral with a work horse chassis, same thing LOL

peskyfeller 10-04-2021 08:10 AM

Wyhat Broke On Your Last R$V Trip?

My problem didn't happen until we were parking in the yard after returning from a 1200 mile "one way" trip to Omaha. As I was backing up my 2003 Bounder in the yard my brakes went to the floor. Upon examination I discovered I had a rusted hole in a metal brake line. I had this same thing happen a few years ago and I fixed it myself by making a new line. Unfortunately my health and age no longer let me fix this one. I tried for two months to get a mechanic to come to my house to fix it because there wasn't room to get a tow truck in there. I talked with nine different mechanics and nobody would take it on. Finally I found a company that would tow it as long as we could move it around the yard using the parking brake. He charged me $450 to tow it one mile to a big truck repair shop. After two weeks in the shop it came out with a cost of $650. They had to take down half the exhaust system to get to the rusty line. I had that motorhome for 15 years and always did all my own repairs and there were many. I feel sorry for anyone who jumps in to RVing with a motorhome without at least a basic knowledge of how to fix things. I've been RVing for 50 years but my days of camping have come to an end. I wouldn't take anything for the fun we have had camping all over this country and Canada. I had a sign on the back of my motorhome that reads "DO IT NOW!" for folks who put off camping.:)

indianbob 10-04-2021 08:33 AM

Tire exploded, took out floor!

1 Attachment(s)
Coming down the East side of Hwy 17 from the Santa Cruz, CA, our right rear tire exploded and took out 110v wires, 3 propane lines, hot and cold water pipes, the metal wheel-well, the floor beneath the rear of the cabinets and all the rear cabinet supports. That was last Spring and we haven’t begun to fix it yet. $$$

ShanghaiShep 10-04-2021 08:45 AM

Demons

The awning decided to go out when I pressed awning in and in when I pressed out.

TheRogues 10-04-2021 08:56 AM

Cracked a head on my 2000 Fleetwood Southwind with the Ford V10. Diagnosed the first week of August. Had to leave it at the shop in Great Falls, MT for 2 months now. Every shop was backed up till September or longer. Finally it’s done and flying out this Thursday to drive it back. A particularly hard breakdown since I full time in it, so the cats and I have been out of our home for two months. Can’t wait to get it back and fingers crossed it makes the 2000 mile trip OK.

starshine4 10-04-2021 09:02 AM

Pulled into Williams AZ and power steering was groaning on the turns. Got parked and started troubleshooting. We're still here. (See my other posts) we changed fluid, cleaned valves , now waiting on pump. And trying to research how to get it installed correctly. We've already paid for our winter site, 3 1/2 hours away.. But paying for site here too, along with parts etc is $$$$ . Will be glad to get this behind us!!

NITEHAWK 10-04-2021 09:11 AM

Toilet valve started leaking, then toilet sprung a leak between bowl and base.
Parallax convertor and battery charger died.
Fridge would only run on 120V.
Coach and engine batteries would get down to 12.6V before I had to start the engine to charge batteries up using the alternator.
Accidentally leaned on the plastic window washer fluid fitting that comes thru the front cap. Broke off the little tube. Repaired it here at home by drilling out the fitting with a 1/8" diameter drill and then gluing in a 1/8" dia x 1/2" long aluminum rivet body (without the rivet flange and the pull pin) Better and stronger than new and I saved $12.95+ shipping!!

SteveJ. 10-04-2021 09:23 AM

Cool thread.

Last trip(200mi RT) was last week, zero, zip, nada.

Trip before had the power wire in the wire harness of the itty bitty Kenwood stereo break off and short out, killing the stereo and the horn relay trigger.

kewlbreeze 10-04-2021 09:29 AM

Houston to YSP Sept 2021

OK - so I know I will get hammered for all of this....but it is what it is....

My Dear Wife had made reservations last year to Old Faithful Inn for two nights....she has always wanted to stay in that rustic old hotel with communal bathrooms (no bathrooms in the room:o)....so Sept 15 & 16 were locked in stone. At the time of the reservations we did not have a RV.....but we wanted one.

As we looked around we found a 36 ft Itasca Meridian which need needed some love....as someone who has owned older yachts - nothing that I could not handle. It was a good deal so we bought it. Step 1 in the ordeal was done. Step 2 was to do all the work needed to be done on the RV. We had some work that needed to be done on the 13 ft main room slide and we took it to a local - well respected - RV repair place in Dickinson TX. They kept it for 3 months and then told me they did not have a Tech qualified to do the work....arrrgh - 3 months wasted.

So we took it to a Channelview RV Supply and they had it a month and fixed the problem with the slide and 3 other issues.. Cannot say enough good about them - very professional and the work was just topnotch.

We then took it to Cummins Custom Coach facility in Houston and they did the 50,000 mile maintenance on the unit - mechanically she was ready to go

Then it was up to me to deal with all the work DW wanted done.....time was running out. Not only the coach needed lots of work but I had to get the F-150 ready to go as a toad......

Time was running out at this point. Our goal was to get it ready and then take it to a local campground and check all the systems....best laid plans....

So it turned out we had time to hook up the toad and drive it around but then it was time to leave. All the systems seems to be in good working order . Assumptions get one in trouble

So off we go......the idea was drive from Alvin (our home) to Dallas on a Thursday afternoon and stay at a local Cracker Barrell and mooch for the night. All is well and we pull into the CB and prepare to go into have dinner. Now I had put in the battery charging system that uses the RV alternator to charge the battery on the toad.....the F-150 has a keypad to unlock the door - the keys were in the ignition...doors locked...battery dead....the keypad would not work. OOOPS #1.

Then we get a phone call from my son saying his family had come down with COVID - we had had dinner with them 4 days before. OHHH NOOOO....vacation was likely over it seemed. OOPS#2.

WE called AAA and they opened the lock on the F-150 and they jumped the toad......we then went to CVS and got the test. Turns out we were negative.

So we took off for Wichita, KS the next morning (after a great breakfast at CB).

We stopped every two hours to see if the battery on the toad to start the engine. As soon as we got to the second stop for charging - the battery was dead. I had no idea what was going on. I had already shown that 12.8 volts were getting to the battery - but the batt was going dead in 4 hours. Arrrgh OOOOPS #3...Ghosts....

We push on. Near OKCity - the wind was blowing like mad - from behind. As we were nearing the city - a guy pulls up next to us and points up. We pull over into a Casino parking lot and the cover over the bathroom exhaust fan was hanging on by one bolt. So I taped it down with Gorilla tape (tape I had previously did not really like). So off we go again OOOPS#4

We make to Wellington, KS KOA around dusk. As I am setting up a nice guy comes over and points out the right front tire on the toad was nearly flat.....OOOPS #5.

So next morning off we go to Discount Tire who did not have the right tire but did put on the spare......and told us the DT in Fort Collins CO had the right tire and were holding it for us (our son lives in Fort Collins). So off we go - we were headed there anyway.

We make it to FC around dusk and as we are following Google to the KOA - we hit the biggest pot hole ever....it is so bad that it bends the NSA Ready Brake. OOOPS #6.

WE make it to the KOA with no further problems. We spend two nights there and have a great time with Son #2 and wife to be. No drama while there (amazing). They do have the right tire.....BTW - this time the Toad batt is just fine.....?????? And it is OK the rest of the trip...????? Ghosts

So off we go to Colter Bay in the Grand Tetons.....Everything seems to be OK - the brake is still working and we make it to Colter bay and pull into our site for the night. The next morning both DW and I are outside the RV. The door is shut on the RV - we had been going in and out......now the door will not open...we try everything but no joy. I had left the drivers side window unlocked - backed the truck to the window climbed in and the door opened. OOOPS #7 The door worked the rest of the trip????? Ghosts i guess

We then are off to Old Faithful Inn for two nights and no drama.....wonderful.....

After those two nights in the rustic old Inn (with no bathrooms in the rooms), we go to Driftwaters Resort on the Madison River. It is going to get down below freezing so I make a mistake - I turn on the electric heater (read:heat pump). Now I do not know much about heat pumps - well actually zero. during the early morning hours it quits working (if there is no heat outside then they do not work - duh....the system pops a breaker on the inverter/charger....which I did not know was even there....so no heat - no inverter/charger....no joy. OOOPS #8.....

then the door latch for the electrical compartment decides not to work and as I worked with it (it was cold) the plastic latch breaks.....OOOPS #9. Out comes the Gorilla tape and batta bing - it holds in the cold weather.

BTW - the toad also decides to throw a yellow check engine light while driving around.....OOOPS #10. It does it for one day - and then the next day it no longer comes on. Ghosts again.

So it is time to go home. Retracing out steps - you would think that Google would send us the same way home that we had used going up. Well, that was my assumption. I was wrong. I noticed I was wrong when we pass the sign for Hwy 287 S at 60 mph.....and there is no place to turn around between that spot and Riverton, Wy. It was only a small difference in time between the two routes so no big deal - we get to see more of beautiful WY. But I knew I been had when we pass a billboard saying "Welcome to Riverton - Google is never wrong". I now know the reason most folks don't take that route - as you get close to Rawlins and the freeway to Laramie - there is a near vertical section of road one must drive thru.....I thought it best to unhook the toad for this section. That turned out to be a good idea - unhooked we were doing 25 MPH with our Cummins doing the best it could.....wow.

So we make it to Fort Collins and stayed for two nights. No drama. Actually there was no real drama for the rest of the trip.

So roughly 4500 miles - at least 10 OOOOPies along the way (maybe more - I cannot recall right now)...no real damage done....the Gorilla tape held the compartment door closed and the vent cover in place, the systems worked pretty well....we made it home.

Lesson learned - GHOSTS ARE EVERYWHERE - AND DO YOUR CHECK OUT CLOSE TO HOME.....

It seemed that every night there was some drama to deal with. While my DW had a great time - I was almost in constant concern about some thing or another.

BTW - a new latch assembly for the compartment door cost less than $6.00 and is pretty easy to install. I found the breaker on the inverter/charger and now everything is working. The vent cover is an easy fix - just needs a few bolts and nuts (seems they had worked their way loose over time). The toad has not thrown a yellow light again, the Toad never gave us anymore issues, the door lock on the RV worked just fine (I am going to replace it), the Ready Brake is back to the dealer where they will repair it....

What a trip is all I got to say - vacation - means hubby has to worry and work. But all that matters is DW had a good time and I am happy to give her that. Well worth it. She puts up with me :D:blush:

I learned a lot....RVing is so much fun:blink::facepalm:

Dennis
Planet Houston :dance:

jconsidine 10-04-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcbbob15 (Post 5930506)
On the way home from South Dakota my lights on my toad stopped working. Could not figure out why. We were about 150 miles from home so the DW drove the Jeep home. A couple of days later I hooked everything up and it worked. Have triple checked everything I can think of. Still working today.

Corroded pins on the connector? That's happened to me. Some fine sandpaper and something to scrape the female connector and I was back blinking again

AveryF 10-04-2021 10:13 AM

Compared to some of these stories, we've been pretty lucky!

We had a serpentine belt shred 25 miles east of Colorado Springs during a visit there last summer. It was a bit of an ordeal because of extremely poor cell service where we broke down and our insurance carrier having to send a tow truck from Denver to take it to a shop in Colorado Springs. As luck would have it, we were only 30 miles or so from our destination at our daughter and S-I-L's house so it could've been much worse. After a number of phone calls, we eventually found a repair center that was able to look at it the following day and had it back to us that afternoon!

Other than a problem with our HWH leveling system a couple of years ago (self induced, by the way, but that's another story......) which required replacement of two jacks and two solenoids, we've been been extremely fortunate.

My wife frequently says that God looks after little children and old fools. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a little child even though my wife is quick to say I often act like one! (Hard to argue with the truth..........)

oldnavycdr 10-04-2021 10:18 AM

As a noob coming back from Florida we stopped at a campground for an overnight. Upon departure one of the rear jack will not retract. I tried everything. Called a mobile tech and extended our stay for another night. He tries everything, including calls to Equalizer but the piston must be bent and internally jammed. The tech can't even break the jack loose from the frame. DW has an important medical appointment back home in NC so I tell the guy, saw it off. I'm not sure how many blades the tech went through cutting that piston off but it must have been all he had. Made it back to NC in time.

Fast forward, taking the coach to Elkhart to have the entire jack system replaced (the system was obsolete and unsupported). I'm pulling a hill in nowhere NC and the alarm panel sounds off with multiple lights and alarms -- over temp, stop engine and no telling what else. I pull off on an exit ramp and go to the rear to see what I can see. Some kind of fluid leaked and sprayed all over the engine compartment but no obvious source. I limped to a gas station just off the exit ramp and tried to call my "roadside assistance" company. Poor cell service and poorer customer service suggest to me that I'm on my own. I do a more detailed inspection and determine that I have no hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. I hoof it to an auto parts store and pick up 5 gallons of AW-46 to add to the tank and begin a search for a repair shop. Of course it is a Friday afternoon and no mechanics are available. My appointment at Equalizer is on Monday. While driving around and monitoring temperature I can limp from shop to shop but no joy. Again, I'm on my own. Needing more hydraulic fluid I pull into another auto parts lot and discover where the leak is coming from -- hydraulic line as it makes a bend to the cooler. It seems that a nut attaching the big stone guard has been chafing this line over the years and finally wore a hole in the line. Got some hose, more fluid, and a hand pump from the auto parts store and replaced it in their lot. Totally soaked in hydraulic fluid I press on to the first overnight stop without incident. And no issues during travel on day 2...until departing. Pulling onto the on ramp I lose all power steering. Inspection shows the new hose failed. Seems they gave me heater hose which couldn't handle the pressure. Sunday morning, side of the road in nowhere Ohio. Hoofed to a Farm & Home (amazingly open early Sunday morning) and found some stouter hose and AW-46. Made the same repair again. While there is still more to this saga I'll stop here. Many years on submarines taught me that when there is absolutely no one to call you have to fix it yourself. In the end, I made it to Elkhart, got the new jacks, had a nice set of theater seating installed and returned home without incident. My next purchase was a toad. And I had to throw away all those fluid soaked clothes.

LT326 10-04-2021 10:29 AM

What broke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondrew55 (Post 5930482)
I stayed at Ft Wilderness. My wallet broke

I heard That!!:blink:

Manicman 10-04-2021 10:48 AM

V-10 misfire

We were all packed and ready to go, my ford e-450 threw an engine code. Had it checked, random misfire on number 7.
New plugs and wire caps, one day late going out.

Overall been pretty lucky.

I can relate to the guy that had the rv blind strings break. That happened, found a place in Edmonton that restrung them for me. That one I was happy to pay someone to do.

RVChptr2 10-04-2021 11:15 AM

Always something…..

Trip from Cali to Mt Rushmore and Badlands, drinking water filter hose developed a leak, stop for gas and stepping out of the coach I see the stairs dangling in the breeze…the control arm snapped. Thank goodness for zip ties!
Hit Nebraska on the way home and coming into our HarvestHost winery, the battery light flashes. Park for the night and heading to a local repair shop in the morning, coach dies on a dirt road in a cornfield…alternator dead:battery dead. Towed to a local shop, parts ordered, overnight in a hotel in Scottsbluff, ready by 11am the next day. Art’s RV Service in Scottsbluff NE. Fabulous!

joecoop 10-04-2021 12:20 PM

Strange Problem

Quote:

Those of us who have been doing the RV game for a while realize that something goes wrong on almost every trip. I thought it might be fun...well maybe not fun...it might be interesting if we talked about our latest mishap...big or small!

My latest; in the middle of the night while camping near Rocky Mountain National Park the canister that contains the water filter split up the side and all our water was pumped out onto the ground. Fortunately the rupture was in an area that was open to the outside and NO damage was done.

I was able to remove the water filter and pull the plumbing together for a temporary fix until we got home. I paid $21 for a new water filter housing from Lowes, $15 for plumbing pieces and 3 trips to Lowes because I can never anticipate everything I need!

So, my last trip coming home from a short 400 mile trip from New Mexico to Phoenix AZ. I had the generator running the entire time to keep the ACs running. I was about 200 miles in to my trip when my dash stereo stopped working. I looked over at the USB port that I installed that has a voltage indicator. It was flashing at 5.6V! I wasn't sure what to do so, I turned off the generator and all of the sudden my dash stereo came back on and the voltage indicator went back to 12.6V. I started the generator and continued my trip with no problems.

Ridemist 10-04-2021 12:55 PM

Summer 6 week trip; 1) toilet valve spring broke - quick ordered replacement (and spare) from Amazon. 2) Door knob to bathroom broke - new residential one from ACE Hardware. 3) Dash air quit working on way home - dealer found leak, repaired and recharged. 4) Leaving Ohio campground after being parked for 6 weeks, rear camera no longer worked (there had been a lot of heavy rain while we were there. Got back to Arizona and after it sat for several days, all is now good. I did check the camera and taped the connector. Also found a clearance marker lamp above the camera was loose, so resealed (it might have allowed water behind rear cap down onto camera hookup.

Most recent shorter trip, all worked well except once home, generator would not start. After fooling with it and shutting off the breaker, got it to start. Then it would not produce any output. More fooling around and got it to work. Had a fault code 19, "governor's actuator circuit is open or shorted during the attempt to start generator". 2 things to try to correct condition, disconnect 12volt positive to generator for 15 minutes to let system reset, check connector to control board for coming loose. If neither of these then probably control. Never got around to doing either of these as unit is now working correctly. Will check again today. Most likely cause is I would shut it down under load while driving, which is a no-no. Lesson learned.

mymyst 10-04-2021 03:02 PM

Into month 5 of 6 month summer fun trip....
1), Water pump quit on day one of our trip, was able to get it working a few days later
2). Brand new $1800 front A/C unit crapped out, only 6 mos. old and only in service about 3 of those months, unable to get replaced for months due to short supply; unit is simply not available
3) Power cord and camco surge protector tried to melt down and fuse at the connectors; had to have an emergency replacement of entire power cord reel...big $$$
4). Our generator has now crapped out, been diagnosed ass a bad power control board. Generator only has 500 hours on it, the board is $970, out of warranty of course.....

Oh! And we're not even home yet!!!!!!

Johnynorthla 10-04-2021 04:26 PM

Since I last wrote about my toilet flush valve leaking, today, my drivers side power mirror is dead, and my refrigerator outlet keeps popping it’s breaker when running on Gen power! Go figure! But it stopped doing it?

Manicman 10-04-2021 05:03 PM

What Broke?

My first rv was a 1973 Dodge Tioga. It only had a 340. Maaan did that thing break often. The Green Machine. Lol

Alternator quit on one trip. Overnight in a hotel. Hot a/f. Mysterious odours that we finally traced to a mouldy carpet.
Leaky roof. Furnace thermocouple failed. Plumbing and water pump issues. Electical and battery problems. Failed water pump. Failed fridge, discovered the night before we were leaving. These are the ones that come to mind, I'm sure there were more. No a/c. I mean there wasn't one. The floor on that class c got sooo hot. Took hours to cool down once we arrived at out destination.

Final straw, went out in the spring to get ready for the coming season, the whole roof that was glued over the old one had totally fell off. That was of course after I had fixed the water pump. Should have gone inside before I started that repair. Went to start it up after having a new muffler put on, the float bowl would always flood the engine when warm. This time there was a huge boom, left a stain in my jeans.... Dam muffler blew right apart. I parked that sucker, it never made another trip.

We had some great times in it though. A real learning experience for us.

Ill never forget the time we were crawling up a river hill, that 340 working its butt off, a gravel truck went past us in the passing lane and laid on his air horn, just as he was beside us. Scared the crap out of my wife. I can still hear that scream. Lol.

Good times.

Datadawg 10-04-2021 07:15 PM

Room with a view

Went on vacation in August with our new to us motorhome. Our first stop was at my in-laws to drop off our cats. While there I looked over the motorhome including the roof to make sure everything was good. All was well. We arrived at that night's destination and settled in. The next morning my daughter was the first to use the bathroom. She comes out and ask what happened to the skylight over the shower. I walk in and sure enough the skylight is completely gone! I climb on the roof and look for other damage but found none. Apparently the skylight was brittle enough that the wind driving down the highway broke it apart. Needing something to cover the opening for the trip we run across the street to the Dollar General and buy a storage tote that's big enough to fit over the opening. Luckily I had brought screws and a screw gun "just in case" 😜

ptl 10-04-2021 07:52 PM

Went on vacation at the end of August from FL to upstate NY got an hour away from home at 11:00 PM and the 8.1 Chevy started spitting, sputtering and back firing. Found a place to pull off and rest until morning and took the toad to get some plugs and wires, changed those out and cleaned the MAF sensor while I was at it and away we went. Got upstate as planned.

Two days later the generator decided to have issues. Of course staying in a campground with no hookups so needed the generator a couple hours a day to charge the batteries. So I with help of some family pull the generator out of the motorhome and find the bearing on the belt end of the stator disintegrated. I was able to get the bearing at an auto parts store about an hour away after getting the part number. New bearing installed and generator back in motorhome just in time for generator hour ending. But all was good with the generator anyway.

So 3 days before leaving decide to drive up the road to get some firewood and my brother says what is that leaking under your Jeep. So I take a look and see I have a fuel leak on the Jeep. What are the odds. So we head back to the campground and take a closer look to find that the fuel filter has a hairline crack in it. So I get on the phone and start calling to locate a fuel filter which I find about and hour and a half away. My brother looks at me and says you going to go that far to get it and I say yes its not going to cost me anymore and by the way I need you to take me. After dark that night fuel filter installed and all is well. Trip home was uneventful. These are the trips you remember.

kkocan72 10-04-2021 08:18 PM

Our kids…

Wife and I got away for a 4 day trip to 1,000 islands in NY while grandma stayed with the kids. Start of the second day all 3 kids were sick with cough and congestion and we had to pack up and head home to get them Covid tested before they could return to school. All were negative. We had the perfect spots and perfect weather.

BrokeDown 10-04-2021 08:50 PM

Great question!

Fixing broke stuff is part of RVing.... part of the fun.

We went from FL to OR, from OR to UT, and from UT to TN. We go back to FL in mid-November.

So far, the motorhome oil plug leaked, the pan was stripped. We had an insert put in and changed to a Femco Plug. ($600 parts and labor.) The kitchen slide proximity switch wiring needed to be re-crimped. (my labor) The rear suspension ride height bracket broke. ($42 for the parts, my labor.) When the bracket broke, the air was dumped out of the suspension. The frame came down and touched the rear. The wire for the speed sensor got smashed which caused an ABS Fault. I soldered the wires back together. The bathroom fan needs the motor that opens the lid. There is a sticking relay in the turn signal circuit, and the new windshield is leaking. Those things will wait until I get back to FL. Overall, it's been a great trip.

-B

peskyfeller 10-05-2021 06:32 AM

What broke on your last RV Trip

Quote:

It wasn't my last trip but it is worth mentioning. A few years ago we were heading across the country. I have a 2003 Bounder on a Workhorse W22 chassis. We were going up the mountain from Denver and I noticed I didn't hear the fan kick in as the temperature rose Soon the engine was spitting out steam. There was no place to pull over. I slowed down and managed to get to the top where we took the first exit. The engine fan never engaged on the way up leading me to think I had a failed fan clutch. I knew the belt was okay because the power steering and brakes still worked. I got her cooled down and we spent the night there. During the night I took the toad on a recon mission to see what mountains lay ahead. The next morning I had my wife drive the toad and I drove the motorhome. No problem as I kept the speed down. When we got to Grand Junction I found a parts house and tried to get a new fan clutch. Of course they didn't have a listing for a Workhorse so I bought one for a Surburban. Since the mountains were behind us I elected to continue without changing the fan clutch. As I was crossing the desert in Utah she overheated again. I found a campground "sorta" and pulled in. I was the only one there beside the resident who ran the place. I asked if I could work on the RV and he said okay. I jacked up the front of the Bounder in 115 degree heat and tried to remove the fan clutch. When I tried to get the fan shroud off I discovered it was a one piece type and I couldn't get it off without taking the fan off. I then discovered that I needed a special tool to remove the huge nut holding the fan clutch on. I drove 40 miles to Moab in the toad and rented the tool. When I got the fan off and the shroud came down. It literally fell down I discovered that the shroud had a big hole in the top where the fan had hit it. It was then that I realized that my problem wasn't the fan clutch. I called Larry Dodd at Larry's Auto repair in Myrtle Beach SC "an authorized Workhorse service center" and asked Larry if he could send me a new shroud. I had known Larry for several years. He said the shroud was supposed to be a two piece part so you could put the top on and then the bottom with the fan in place. He sent me the two parts which in itself was an endeavor since we had to go back to Moab to pick them up. While we were waiting we did some exploring. When I got the two parts I found that I had to take a lot off the top of the radiator to mount the top piece. Eventually I got it all together and we proceeded on our journey with the old "working" fan clutch. I forgot to mention that getting that fan clutch off to get the old shroud off was a day's work by itself. I will forever be greatful to Larry's Auto Repair and my friend Larry Dodd for walking me through this repair. By the way I figured out why the fan shroud came loose. I had thrown a fan belt on a previous trip and that belt hit the shroud knocking it off the clips at the top.

Craig1960 10-05-2021 07:57 AM

All kinds of interesting stories here. Mine is trivial compared to a lot but I will add it to thread, it may even help someone down the road.
Our last trip was a 3 week long trip(and first with the new to us motorhome) to the north west coast of BC. Our first night we didn't have any spot booked to camp and drove a little longer then we wanted into the night. Notice my dash lights weren't working so I pulled into frontage road in a small town to have a look because I was sure my tail lights were on the same circuit. There was a pretty good size pothole getting on the frontage road and when I went back to check the tail lights I noticed both safety cables had got knocked off going through the pothole. Put those back on and starting looking for the fuse box in the rv. After looking everywhere I could think of I finally decided to pull out the storage rack between the seats and sure enough there it was. Found the bad fuse changed it and back on the road.
Ended up staying in a rest area not far up the road for the night and the next day the rv didn't want to start( took 4 or 5 times the previous night after fixing the fuse issue as well) hooked up the booster cables from the Jeep and fire right up. Ok got a fix for that and will look at when I get back home. My cables were just long enough to reach without disconnecting the Jeep too which was a bonus.
No more issues until the day we were leaving to come home where the rv wouldn't start again even with a boost. I've built lots of cars and even owned a shop where we did hotrods and race cars but had no desire for diesels back then so never took the time to learn much about them. Well I wish I had of now, lol anyway lift the bed and start looking around to see what may be the issue. I see a solenoid with a plunger attached to the fuel system. Got the wife to turn the key on while watching and nothing happens. Then got her to crank the engine and still nothing happens. Now I get her to try it again while I push up on the plunger. As soon as she turned the key to the run position I felt the magnet hold the plunger and when she cranked it fired right away. :) I had to do it a couple more times on the way home but other then that the trip was great and I did learn a bit about how diesels work.
Of course I came on here later and found out exactly what was happening and what the fix was. All good now thanks to this site.

J. W. Hyde 10-05-2021 08:57 AM

Most of us know, be it home ir on the road----" IF you have stuff, stuff is going to happen " Prepare for it ! We learned the hard way with sailboats before the M H 20 yrs ago.

NorCal Hal 10-05-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebfan (Post 5937620)
While driving through St Louis a passing motorist waved me down and I looked in my mirror to see my belongings scattered along I-64. Immediately pulled over to discover that I had a flat tire on my travel trailer, The tire had shredded, tearing a 12 inch hole in the bottom of the trailer. The hole was under the kitchen cabinets allowing a lot of pots and pans to fall out. I put on the spare then went looking for a replacement tire on a Sunday since I didn’t want to go the last 300 miles without a spare. I have since reinforced the floors above the tires with thick plywood

You might want to consider adding an inexpensive TPMS (tire pressure monitoring System). I have one that I move between our toy hauler trailer, pontoon boat, jet ski, utility trailers whenever we take any of them any distance. It plugs into the lighter outlet and is fast and easy to set up. I wish I had taken it the time I rented a U-haul to help our grandson move back to CA. having a blowout in a remote NV area on I-80. That's where I found that 911 works even when you have no cell service.

Jchemie 10-05-2021 09:31 AM

Last trip coming back from Albuquerque NM to Prescott AZ.... the right trailing arm on the rear axle snapped, think it may have occured as I was leaving Albuquerque. Never knew it went, drove home 400 miles with only feeling a bit of wobble when making turns and when a cross wind hit. Discovered it when parking in my driveway, saw R/R wheels not centered in wheel well. Known problem with this year vehicle (2004 Holiday Rambler & Monacos) had inspected it a month prior and saw no cracks. Arm sheared off forward of the axle, dropped 2” and caught on the lower U bolt plate. Since an open differential powers the right side when going foward, it pushed the axle forward and held ithe arm in place while driving. Air suspension bag at the rear of the axle and torsion bar also helped keep it in place. Repair cost estimate is about $3K, and that’s with me doing the work. Two new arms, 4 new air bags (all 4 corners), pulling drive shaft out for inspection and repair if needed.

diesel-dan 10-05-2021 04:47 PM

Fuel door key was very sticky - DW says she told me about it...? Took the toad to a walmart and bought some spray lube - all is good now...:thumb:

baraff 10-05-2021 05:06 PM

Exterior stereo on our Aspect died. We seldom use it but I'm one of those guys that can't leave something broken. Replaced it with a fully marinized stereo from Amazon for $60. Plus it has Bluetooth!
What genius at Winnebago decided to mount the stereo under the kitchen faucet? Forget to wipe up some water on the countertop and guess where it ends up?

RVsteve 10-05-2021 05:19 PM

I have always said that the good thing about RVs compared to boats or airplanes is that when the thing quits, you can get our and walk. I also think they are cheaper to maintain than boats, and definitely cheaper than airplanes.

RVsteve

Npkp 10-06-2021 08:40 AM

Alternator went out on our way to Washington from central California so we would start generator every 2 hours or so, also surge tank for radiator split at seam and sprayed antifreeze all over the place. Made it home but both were a real pita to replace. I can see the tank going out just because it’s almost 20 yrs old, but the alternator only has 46k on it. Oh well???

astrnmrtom 10-06-2021 08:50 PM

Front rooftop AC gave it up.

rrambeau 10-07-2021 07:30 AM

We blew 2 tires and insurance paid for repairs but not tires . Just got it back $8000 of work and now 12v not working!!

ga traveler 10-07-2021 07:43 AM

Both vent covers broken. Both vent protectors broken. TV antennae broken. Rear cap and running lights broken. Sunlight over shower broken. All together $8,400.00 damage to motorhome. Tow Car totaled.
5 and a half inch hail is BAD. Thank goodness I had State Farm insurance. They came through for me.

simssj 10-07-2021 12:31 PM

I just finished a ~6,000 mile swing Virginia --> Montana --> New Mexico --> Florida --> Virginia 7-week excursion.

Day two: Dash A/C gave up the ghost. Wouldn't hold freon.
Day three: Front roof A/C gave up the ghost. compressor motor seized.
Day five: Rear A/C gave up the ghost. Tried to cobble something together with parts from the front A/C but no joy.

Searched ENDLESSLY for replacement roof units, but "Out of Stock" and "Backordered" were the common refrain. Finally, I was able to get Camping World in Colorado Springs to hold a couple of in-stock roof units for us. I bit the bullet and ordered new *everything*; Rooftop units, thermostats, controllers, diffusers...

As long I was taking the northerly route, the weather was amenable to driving with and sleeping with the windows open. But as we moved south from Yellowstone and daytime temps approached 100+ degrees, it became a problem.

Good news was that all the parts at Camping World came thru just in the nick of time and I was able to self-install both of them without any problems at all. (There was a 2-month waiting list for installation at CW!)

Better news was (hold on to your hats!) Camping World had the lowest price of anywhere I could find (while factoring in shipping). A big Shout Out to "Mac" and the parts team at Camping World in Colo Springs: You guys saved our trip!!!!

Still need to get the dash A/C working, but that's a challenge for another day.

Unplanned Tourist 10-07-2021 12:43 PM

Water pump is acting funny, so ordered a new one.

Anyone had any experience with one of these pumps?

Seaflo 12V DC 3.0GPM 55PSI 42 Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump

RVsteve 10-07-2021 12:58 PM

One of the worse and most expensive problem I ever had on the road was when the left front tire on the TOAD went flat while driving on I-8 near Yuma. I was not aware of the flat tire, so kept driving until someone came up along side, and was waving and gesturing frantically. I stopped and found the tire was shredded, the wheel was on the rim and the steel belting was wrapped around the axle. This meant I had to buy two new tires and and a new rim. Luckily, the brake line was not damaged, but was close. I put on the spare, drove to Phoenix and had everything repaired in about 4 hours. Insurance covered some of the cost, too. After that experience, I added tire pressure sensors for some peace of mind.

yeloduster 10-08-2021 07:34 AM

I just got back from another trip and I was going to report the NOTHING broke...I didn't fix anything!

Then I noticed that I had picked up a rock chip on the right side windshield. I think the glass shop will fix it for free but I think I will have to take it to them!

I've really enjoyed reading all your responses. The big problems are very unfortunate. I started RV'ing in 1970 with a pickup camper. Almost every trip has had something that needed to be fixed. I've always made it home without the use of a tow or outside assistance!

Manicman 10-08-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 5939762)
Exterior stereo on our Aspect died. We seldom use it but I'm one of those guys that can't leave something broken. Replaced it with a fully marinized stereo from Amazon for $60. Plus it has Bluetooth!
What genius at Winnebago decided to mount the stereo under the kitchen faucet? Forget to wipe up some water on the countertop and guess where it ends up?

Dude! I have an Aspect. Replaced my outdoor stereo as well. Any water leaks from the kitchen have the potential to ruin a lot of stuff. Idk why they did that. Power supply, stereo, furnace, fuse panel all right under a sink. Good lord.

Skilletface 10-08-2021 09:46 AM

Nothing broke but a few lights started working that we really didn’t need, check that off the list.
This thread should be required for new to RVers.

BrokeDown 10-08-2021 01:09 PM

Got the coach washed and waxed yesterday. These guys clean the coach from the top to the bottom. They got it done just before it started to rain. The roof is leaking...

DutchmenSpor 10-08-2021 01:22 PM

Same trip as the post I made on Page 3 of this forum thread, later .... a slide cable broke.

yeloduster 10-08-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LETMGROW (Post 5933424)
I bought my wife a bag of "Kettle Corn". Can you believe $5.00 for a bag of "Kettle Corn"? It was good though.

Let me get this straight!? For whom was the Kettle Corn?

Jarlaxle 10-08-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manicman (Post 5942491)
Dude! I have an Aspect. Replaced my outdoor stereo as well. Any water leaks from the kitchen have the potential to ruin a lot of stuff. Idk why they did that. Power supply, stereo, furnace, fuse panel all right under a sink. Good lord.

It's three cents cheaper to build that way.

IC2 10-09-2021 05:18 AM

Anti-siphon valve for the kitchen sink. What a stench coming out of that sink drain!!

bobmar 10-09-2021 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 5930634)
Flawless…….really…….did I just jinx it!!!

Oh oh……did it again. Another great trip with no flaws (that I’ve noticed!). Are we blessed or cursed?….don’t know!! The coach, driver and copilot are very happy. Last run starting the 18th then Minnesota winter bedtime, it’s been a mild fall. We’ll see how that trip goes.
[emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]

DaveS52 10-09-2021 06:55 AM

Good (?) vibrations

Traveling cross-country I learn again that my Michigan is not the only state with crappy roads. My Leprechaun amplifies every bump & rut. So on this 5 week trip to AZ, UT & NM, I fixed a broken cabinet hinge, drawer latch, paper towel ‘rack’ fell off and the Dometic thermostat display went flakey. Also the access door for my generator somehow got a bit mangled when I cut it a bit close pulling up to the gas pump!

Cobra Mini 10-09-2021 08:53 AM

Last Friday I was at a townwide 3 day garage sale in my Motorhome C.went to bed at about 10,1030 when I got up in the middle of the night, say 430 am and swung out of bed in my bare feet and low and behold stepped down in a puddle soaked carpeting and i used a few choice words. The rv was at a slight front end lower than the rear so the water tank was under the bed and the water was running down hill, before I left the house i had put in about 25 gallons of water, so at about 5am i go outside and open the valve to empty the tank and a short time later a sheriff's car stops and asks me what the water was from, just making sure it was just fresh water, yes I said so I had him come inside to see what happened and he said ok,just checking, so that was my messed up situation, got home and shop vacuum the water out and then i did some investigating and where the water drain fitting was cracked and leaking water, it must have been cracked for a long time because the whole area around the tank was saturated with water, pulled tank and had to get a new one, lots of vacuuming and furnace and fans for days. Finally got new tank to replace the old one and of course it was not a exact replacement so had to do some plumbing, all is good now except for the musty smell, we will see how it goes. So that's my story.

lightsluvr 10-12-2021 07:23 AM

The shower hot water valve broke. Went to Ace Hardware and found a chrome replacement that fit exactly. Had to use plumber's tape on the shower head threads. Easy peazy.

TraceyC 10-12-2021 03:19 PM

We have 1992 Fleetwood bounder. Our last trip out we broke the entry steps. When the outside step extends we need to have a brace under it to take any weight. I didn't have the brace on it & my husband stepped on the step & it broke. The whole bottom step inside now moves now. It looks like it has just rotted away from the frame or whatever the metal step is attached to. Have no idea how to fix it. :(

diesel odor 10-13-2021 06:05 AM

My passenger blind spot mirror decided to fall off about 20 miles after leaving Bucee's and before that my fresh water hose broke. Hose was an easy fix from Home depot in Waco and bought a spare since it is probably time for a new hose. Got woken up by a lady walking her dog at 2 a.m. saying I have a "flood" or something.

Got the last mirror from Walmart in their RV section, and had to find Gorilla tape to hold it on. Still holding after 1400 miles. Love the Texas fuel prices!

ga traveler 10-13-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraceyC (Post 5947754)
We have 1992 Fleetwood bounder. Our last trip out we broke the entry steps. When the outside step extends we need to have a brace under it to take any weight. I didn't have the brace on it & my husband stepped on the step & it broke. The whole bottom step inside now moves now. It looks like it has just rotted away from the frame or whatever the metal step is attached to. Have no idea how to fix it. :(

We ran into this many times at our dealership. It was almost always one of two things. First is weld breaking. If that is the problem you reweld the step back to the metal support. Second is the lower wooden step is rotten and no longer supports the metal step. In this case you have to build a new wood lower step to support the metal step.
Neither repair is difficult, but if it is the weld, you will need to use a jack to push the step back up into a level position while you weld it.

Lincolnboy2 10-13-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga traveler (Post 5948434)
We ran into this many times at our dealership. It was almost always one of two things. First is weld breaking. If that is the problem you reweld the step back to the metal support. Second is the lower wooden step is rotten and no longer supports the metal step. In this case you have to build a new wood lower step to support the metal step.
Neither repair is difficult, but if it is the weld, you will need to use a jack to push the step back up into a level position while you weld it.

EXACTLY what happened about 6 years ago with my 2003 Storm. Had to drop it and take it to a welder, then re install it with the jack. I didn't do any of the work. My good friend and mechanic Dave did the work.

peskyfeller 10-13-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

You will need to replace the entire step assembly. It is held on by 4 bolts through the top and "I believe" yours also has bolts that go to the side on the top piece towards the side of the coach. You can access the bolts by removing the pin that goes between the swing arm and the step. The steps are very heavy so make sure you have a helper or floor jack under there to help. You can Google replacing Kwikee steps and find instructions on how to replace the steps. The steps are very expensive so be ready for some sticker shock.:sad:

peskyfeller 10-13-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga traveler (Post 5948434)

I never saw an electric step with any wooden pieces. Are you talking about the lower step that is part of the coach?

D Gardiner 10-13-2021 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The entry step should be bolted a steel cradle, which is fastened to the coach floor with some lag bolts, and fastened to the exterior wall frame with bolts or screws.

I'm going to assume rust or cracks have caused the cradle to part from the body. I'm also going to assume the upper bolts to the upper interior floor are good.

You may find the screws going into the steel box tube are rusted away, or you may find the tubing needs to be repaired/replaced. Hopefully the fix is easy. Either way some exploratory surgery will be needed. Possibly same fiberglass repair work if part of the box tubing needs to be cut away, and a new section welded in.

Vernadene 10-17-2021 10:00 AM

Only one night in New 5th wheel

We have had one type of camper or another since 1974. Decided to splurge and get a new 5th Wheel (2021 Roamer) Our first (and only) night in it (actually on our way home from picking it up on August 30) the brand new refrigerator quit. We took it to a Jayco dealer in Middlebury IN. It was there for over a month and they hadn't even ordered a part or new frig. They told us if we didn't like it, come get it! We have now moved it to Ft. Wayne with hopes of it getting fixed.

mebop 10-18-2021 07:23 AM

Couple things this trip. The hinge metal strip on one of the bay doors came loose so I used a liquid metal adhesive to weld it. The washer drain valve got clogged by a coin and the filter broke when I tried to remove it. The plastic valve cover still sealed so was able to use the washer while trying to locate a new filter assembly.

D Gardiner 10-18-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernadene (Post 5952847)
We have had one type of camper or another since 1974. Decided to splurge and get a new 5th Wheel (2021 Roamer) Our first (and only) night in it (actually on our way home from picking it up on August 30) the brand new refrigerator quit. We took it to a Jayco dealer in Middlebury IN. It was there for over a month and they hadn't even ordered a part or new frig. They told us if we didn't like it, come get it! We have now moved it to Ft. Wayne with hopes of it getting fixed.

That dealer was not very nice at all. I understand supply issues right now, but not ordering the refrigerator at all. That's is inexcusable. Hope the dealer in Fort Wayne does a better job.