iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

rrambeau 10-03-2021 11:00 PM

Blew two tires July 5 th in mountains of KY. Ripped out a bunch of wires and we had 0 power. Tire shops closed and couldn’t be towed without tires. Literally took 3 days and at least 50 calls to GoodSam ( another story)to get towed off mountain. We were on busy interstate with a million semis whizzing by. Our 3 day trip took two weeks to get home and yesterday we picked it up from shop to repair body damage from blowouts and we have no ac, fridge or 12volt power. We had fridge issue day before we left but 12v new and they couldn’t figure any of this out. When it’s finally fixed we r selling it.

Tahoejeep 10-04-2021 03:47 AM

Slide wouldn’t extend. Thankfully our coach is very livable without it.

I posted here and even called Tiffen, but I STILL cannot find the slide controller! And it looks like the controller is what failed.

Bat Dude 10-04-2021 05:00 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wipers

Well our nearly new HR Invicta (2020) with 5 K miles had the Vindshield Vipers bite me on the sit upon.

Worked last time used them.

Note to self before heading off on ANY trip check all chassis functions. Hose are on a nice chk list.

Heading to the Pacific NW and down Calif. coast to avoid the seasonal Ice Age and advancing glaciers in Mich.

Only about 35 minutes south of the house we hit moderate rain. Opps no wipers. So we sat it out for 10 minutes then drove to the nearest parts store open on a Sunday. Bought a package of mixed fuses for chassis. After a long bit of searching the Internet I found that the fuse #11 under that dash (30 amp green) controlled washer-wipers. Check and it was good. No joy. Not sure what else to check.

Motored on.

Just about Chicago we hit very very heavy rain.

4 lanes I was in 2nd from left as we were approaching a interchange turn towards I-80.

Wife kept saying (not all that quietly) pull over , pull over... Hmm we are moving at 55 MPH and slowing with limited viability there was no way to pull our 36' rig and toad to the right across 2 other very heavyily trafficked lanes.

So looks like I will rainX the daylights out of the windscreen as we need to forage on.

The wiper moter has a tag Kit 100-A3 or something like that.

I will try call REV RV support once they are open this AM and see what it will take to get a replacement. Not sure any Ford dears will have parts for the F53.

Steve578 10-04-2021 05:16 AM

I had one of the aluminum wheels develop a hairline crack which caused a slow leak. That was the second time for the same problem.

Loucurr 10-04-2021 05:37 AM

My last trip the A/C went out ...I have a basement A/C so it was not an easy fix :facepalm: This happened in July while camping in Florida...ugh! :blink:

xrated 10-04-2021 05:44 AM

We have a 2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M, which is a 44' long, triple axle Toy Hauler with a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. We just returned home yesterday after a 5,143 mile trip out west to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and the Moab area. The total on things that broke on this long trip with roads that sometimes felt like we were on an "Offroad Test Track" was.......one of the metal hangers that hold up the 3" pipe that you hook the stinky slinky to when dumping the gray and black tanks. I ended up using three zip ties as a temporary support and they are still holding even as we pulled into the driveway yesterday. I'll certainly make a permanent repair, but that was it.....one support hanger. I love my Grand Design and the reliability that it has shown us over the past 2 years.

BINGHAMD 10-04-2021 05:57 AM

Yesterday….low battery and engine running hot. Fortunately was less than a mile from a Loves/Speedco. Broken belt……> 2 hours down time to get a belt from Freightliner, but we’ll take it. Wasn’t TOO bad on the wallet and they knew what they were doing. The spring trip was another story though lol!!

Cloudbuster 10-04-2021 06:20 AM

Ours was a leaking left rear axel seal. That wheel had just had the Tone Ring replaced. As no Ford dealer (contacted 6) would look at it a truck shop replaced seal & bearings as mental was found do to loose axel nut. Then on the way back south same seal started leaking again. This time in heavy stop & go traffic south of DC on I-95 it reached a point dripping onto the hot brakes causing enough smoke inside the coach to set off the fire detector. Now a week in the shop again. A F-53 2020 chassis.

KPMullen 10-04-2021 06:29 AM

I love it.

Someone should create an "RV Repair Bingo" board. ;-)

First one to get five in a row wins.

Kevin

PB2 10-04-2021 07:22 AM

Valve stems.

We got new tires on the rig before we left on a 4000 mile swing thru the west - ordered them from Costco but they were not able to install them because the camper was too big for their lift. They found a truck tire installation place for us and it turned out to be a real fly-by-night outfit. They got it done but we were not impressed with the work.

We headed out a few days after tires and got to our first stop. Found the two inside rear tires were completely flat. Aired them up and heard air escaping from the valve stems. The fly-by-night tire place did not replace the valve stems! This was on a Sunday. Called a tire place that was open and he was unable to do it that day but could on Monday, but it was $50 a tire to do anything. We said OK, got to get it done... On a whim called Walmart's Auto Care Center and they would install new valve stems for $3. I asked what the labor was. $3. I explained they were inside dual tires. $3. Cool! We went over and i had them do all 6! $18, what a deal! Left town and about 5 miles out hear a "KAPOW". Truck was driving fine, but that sure sounded like a tire blowout. Pulled over and inside rear tire completely flat. Limped into the next small town and pulled into a tire place. He pulls the tire off and finds a 6" split in the sidewall, and puts on our spare. I go in to pay and he says he carries both the brand of the damaged tire and the spare and would just charge it off to road hazard - no charge. We're on our way. Got a replacement tire from Costco.

jerryd151 10-04-2021 07:36 AM

Dolly Problems

The fender nut got loose on my dolly. I could see in the mirror the fender bouncing around on the tire. Lost one nu so I tightened the remaining nut and made it home where I glued new lock nuts on both fenders.

Lincolnboy2 10-04-2021 07:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pocket door to rear bathroom has a small plastic lock lever that keeps the pin from the track in place. It broke. :(

Lincolnboy2 10-04-2021 08:01 AM

Residential Whirlpool fridge fan went out slowly over the last 2-3 excursions in the Expedition. LOL. New indoor fan (thankfully all fixed from inside and didn't have to remove the refrigerator from the cubby in the slide) and she's back to even better than ever cooling and incredibly, the ice maker is operating better than ever!!

Geammpad 10-04-2021 08:02 AM

Nothing that wasn't already broken. These items like hinges and latches, new floor and carpet, slide cover, can now wait till I winterize it. Just like owning a house, fix what's important first. Used to own a boat and now a 2004 Admiral with a work horse chassis, same thing LOL