iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

diesel-dan 10-05-2021 04:47 PM

Fuel door key was very sticky - DW says she told me about it...? Took the toad to a walmart and bought some spray lube - all is good now...:thumb:

baraff 10-05-2021 05:06 PM

Exterior stereo on our Aspect died. We seldom use it but I'm one of those guys that can't leave something broken. Replaced it with a fully marinized stereo from Amazon for $60. Plus it has Bluetooth!
What genius at Winnebago decided to mount the stereo under the kitchen faucet? Forget to wipe up some water on the countertop and guess where it ends up?

RVsteve 10-05-2021 05:19 PM

I have always said that the good thing about RVs compared to boats or airplanes is that when the thing quits, you can get our and walk. I also think they are cheaper to maintain than boats, and definitely cheaper than airplanes.

RVsteve

Npkp 10-06-2021 08:40 AM

Alternator went out on our way to Washington from central California so we would start generator every 2 hours or so, also surge tank for radiator split at seam and sprayed antifreeze all over the place. Made it home but both were a real pita to replace. I can see the tank going out just because itís almost 20 yrs old, but the alternator only has 46k on it. Oh well???

astrnmrtom 10-06-2021 08:50 PM

Front rooftop AC gave it up.

rrambeau 10-07-2021 07:30 AM

We blew 2 tires and insurance paid for repairs but not tires . Just got it back $8000 of work and now 12v not working!!

ga traveler 10-07-2021 07:43 AM

Both vent covers broken. Both vent protectors broken. TV antennae broken. Rear cap and running lights broken. Sunlight over shower broken. All together $8,400.00 damage to motorhome. Tow Car totaled.
5 and a half inch hail is BAD. Thank goodness I had State Farm insurance. They came through for me.

simssj 10-07-2021 12:31 PM

I just finished a ~6,000 mile swing Virginia --> Montana --> New Mexico --> Florida --> Virginia 7-week excursion.

Day two: Dash A/C gave up the ghost. Wouldn't hold freon.
Day three: Front roof A/C gave up the ghost. compressor motor seized.
Day five: Rear A/C gave up the ghost. Tried to cobble something together with parts from the front A/C but no joy.

Searched ENDLESSLY for replacement roof units, but "Out of Stock" and "Backordered" were the common refrain. Finally, I was able to get Camping World in Colorado Springs to hold a couple of in-stock roof units for us. I bit the bullet and ordered new *everything*; Rooftop units, thermostats, controllers, diffusers...

As long I was taking the northerly route, the weather was amenable to driving with and sleeping with the windows open. But as we moved south from Yellowstone and daytime temps approached 100+ degrees, it became a problem.

Good news was that all the parts at Camping World came thru just in the nick of time and I was able to self-install both of them without any problems at all. (There was a 2-month waiting list for installation at CW!)

Better news was (hold on to your hats!) Camping World had the lowest price of anywhere I could find (while factoring in shipping). A big Shout Out to "Mac" and the parts team at Camping World in Colo Springs: You guys saved our trip!!!!

Still need to get the dash A/C working, but that's a challenge for another day.

Unplanned Tourist 10-07-2021 12:43 PM

Water pump is acting funny, so ordered a new one.

Anyone had any experience with one of these pumps?

Seaflo 12V DC 3.0GPM 55PSI 42 Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump

RVsteve 10-07-2021 12:58 PM

One of the worse and most expensive problem I ever had on the road was when the left front tire on the TOAD went flat while driving on I-8 near Yuma. I was not aware of the flat tire, so kept driving until someone came up along side, and was waving and gesturing frantically. I stopped and found the tire was shredded, the wheel was on the rim and the steel belting was wrapped around the axle. This meant I had to buy two new tires and and a new rim. Luckily, the brake line was not damaged, but was close. I put on the spare, drove to Phoenix and had everything repaired in about 4 hours. Insurance covered some of the cost, too. After that experience, I added tire pressure sensors for some peace of mind.

yeloduster 10-08-2021 07:34 AM

I just got back from another trip and I was going to report the NOTHING broke...I didn't fix anything!

Then I noticed that I had picked up a rock chip on the right side windshield. I think the glass shop will fix it for free but I think I will have to take it to them!

I've really enjoyed reading all your responses. The big problems are very unfortunate. I started RV'ing in 1970 with a pickup camper. Almost every trip has had something that needed to be fixed. I've always made it home without the use of a tow or outside assistance!

Manicman 10-08-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 5939762)
Exterior stereo on our Aspect died. We seldom use it but I'm one of those guys that can't leave something broken. Replaced it with a fully marinized stereo from Amazon for $60. Plus it has Bluetooth!
What genius at Winnebago decided to mount the stereo under the kitchen faucet? Forget to wipe up some water on the countertop and guess where it ends up?

Dude! I have an Aspect. Replaced my outdoor stereo as well. Any water leaks from the kitchen have the potential to ruin a lot of stuff. Idk why they did that. Power supply, stereo, furnace, fuse panel all right under a sink. Good lord.

Skilletface 10-08-2021 09:46 AM

Nothing broke but a few lights started working that we really didnít need, check that off the list.
This thread should be required for new to RVers.

BrokeDown 10-08-2021 01:09 PM

Got the coach washed and waxed yesterday. These guys clean the coach from the top to the bottom. They got it done just before it started to rain. The roof is leaking...