iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

Dany 11-01-2021 07:15 PM

10 000 miles trip

Have been thanking god ever since , 10k miles round trip with a 98 Grand Vectra with only a fridge fuse that has blown when i connected back on garage electrical at home. Have done half of the trip in frigide -20 temp then the other half in extreme heat high 110 . Will be thanking everyone in this forum for the help in this trip

Isaac-1 11-01-2021 10:50 PM

On the 4th morning of our last trip a month ago when I went to put the coach in gear to pull out from the overnight rv site the gear shifter felt extremely stiff, most likely it is the shifter cable going bad, possibly accumulated heat damage as it is routed near the exhaust, and the day before it started acted up we were west bound on I-20 with 106F degree highs that day, so maybe just enough extra heat to push it over the edge and give out.

yeloduster 11-02-2021 02:34 AM

I really love this thread. All of us that carry/tow a house over highways, side roads, gravel road, dirt roads, no roads have found out that if you carry/tow your house it WILL break.

I like many others have found that fixing what's broke is part of the adventure.

I didn't expect to hear of the BIG problems that some of you have faced. Truly tragic! I have been RVing for 51 years and have never had to be towed! KNOCK ON WOOD! I have never had a repair that I couldn't do my self. KNOCK ON WOOD! Exception is transmission problems a few times that required professional intervention. It did run good enough to get to the transmission shop. I have sat in an RV park for 4 days awaiting parts ONCE!

Keep on truckin' er ... Keep on RV'n!

GypsyR 11-02-2021 08:36 AM

I like this thread as some posts might give me a heads up on things that I may be able to do something about preventing that I would not have considered on my own.

BonS 11-02-2021 09:13 AM

Our Cummins ISM lost turbo boost in the Arkansas hills. On a hill of course!. Flashers on, we made it up the hill at what felt like 1 mph. Never looked at the speedometer though. Pulled into the first parking lot that we could fit into; A Western Sizzler so at least dinner was ready! Clinton, AR a super small town. Inspected the turbo plumbing and CAC for obvious leaks; Nothing, dang! Ripped the bathroom floor and vanity out to get a view of the turbo. It was raining outside and it continued to rain for two days, depressing atmosphere for sure. Everything "looked" good. I removed the turbo inlet and outlet plumbing to get a hand and eye on the turbo and everything looked great. I called the only truck repair shop in town and they said they were backed up for 6 weeks so they couldn't help. I called about 5 internet stores looking for a turbo and to this day nobody has found a replacement nationwide. Even Cummins doesn't have one. Can you feel the panic?!

There is an electronic turbo actuator bolted to the turbo. It controls the level of turbo boost pressure. To test the lever that this actuator moves I had to remove the actuator. Once removed, a full calibration process is required and can only be done by someone with Cummins tool or equivalent so no going back now.

The turbo actuator arm felt fine and moved normally. This led me to believe that the actuator could be at fault. I found an actuator online and had it shipped to a nearby Dollar General FedEx Express overnight.

I decided to have a face-to-face conversation with the local truck mechanic. I visited his shop and plead my case. He was a great salt-of-the-earth kind of guy and agreed to come to my RV but he had to leave town at 4pm and my package wasn't to be delivered until 4pm. Great.

I camped out at the Dollar General waiting on the FedEx truck. It arrived at 2pm. Finally, a break. I drove back to the truck repair shop and invited the mechanic/owner to come and do his magic. It took him and me about 10 minutes to get the turbo actuator initialized and calibrated. That was the best $200 I ever spent and not bad income for him, either. Both are happy.

It was late in the day by the time I got everything back together including the bathroom cabinets and floor. The engine would start but virtually no boost pressure just sitting in the parking lot revving it in neutral. We decided to wait until first light to try to get back on the road. We had absolutely no idea if the engine/turbo would perform. As soon as we exit the parking lot we're immediately on US 65 highway, again not good.

Well, this story has a happy ending. The turbo took off as I pressed the pedal and the engine ran smooth and strong. No codes on the Silverleaf monitor.

I left a bunch of detail out of the story for brevity; Such as it is. Like buying bottles of water from Walmart to pump into our water tank so we could flush our toilets, but forget showers!

It was quite the misadventure. We scuttled our immediate plans and only drove 100 miles into Little Rock to spend a week depressurizing. All's well that ends well. :dance:

joecoop 11-02-2021 11:43 AM

Last RV Trip

Driving along at 65mph on the highway outside of Phoenix heading to Lake Havasu City. All of the sudden, all of my gauges started flipping out and then lost all power. Go to the side and nothing. When I tried to turn it over, it clicked like a dead battery. The display came on CHECK VOLTAGE and REDUCED POWER but wouldn't start. My wife was following in her car. I thought that it may be the chassis battery so we went back to the nearest city (25 miles each way) to get a battery. Then, my wife's car died on the highway on the way back to the RV. Got a ride and scheduled a second tow with AAA. A very nice lady came by and took us to the RV. New battery didn't help. Called AAA. Totally useless. They couldn't find anyone who could tow it. Went back and rented a car, back to my wife's car waiting for AAA then to the RV to take stuff out and wait for the RV tow truck. My wife tried to turn on the coach lights and they didn't turn on. I checked the coach batteries (2 6V wired in series). I touched the wire that ties the 2 batteries together. It arched and then all of the interior lights came on. I tightened all battery cables then the RV started and we were back on the road. I would have never suspected that a bad cable for the coach would cause an engine problem.

2005 Monaco LaPalma

rmkm13 11-02-2021 03:38 PM

Last trip was the jack alarm going off while driving down the highway. Could not get it to shut off and needless to say, jack was not down. Drove on to my campsite and when we left, alarm was no longer going off. Strange. Trip before that was windshield popping out. My wife definitely believes something goes wrong every trip.

n2zon 11-02-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmkm13 (Post 5972528)
Last trip was the jack alarm going off while driving down the highway. Could not get it to shut off and needless to say, jack was not down. Drove on to my campsite and when we left, alarm was no longer going off. Strange. Trip before that was windshield popping out. My wife definitely believes something goes wrong every trip.

Hmmm...the forum software is confused today. Your post count is 0 but I'm reading your post!

GypsyR 11-02-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonS (Post 5972147)
It was quite the misadventure.

Way to adapt and overcome though! :goodjob:

IC2 11-03-2021 10:39 AM

Until yesterday hadn't had a chance to chase down a grinding noise on the brake system of my Ford SD tow vehicle heard on the last trip. 319 DIY bucks later, new brake pads and rotors just for the rear. Wont get them installed until Friday or Saturday then I may end up with another chunk of bucks for the front brakes. And these only had about 92.000 miles on them:whistling:

Needless to say that I am impressed with the mileage as probably 60% of those mile were towing. Brand name is Power Stop Z36 towing for both pads and rotors

Bat Dude 11-04-2021 05:39 AM

I had to have complete rotors and pads replaced in an older Ford Freestyle. Discovered the father-in-law from whom I purchased the car always used Cruise control. So the rear brakes were constantly in use to moderate speeds on the highway. Significantly more use of brakes than not using cruise control.

n2zon 11-04-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat Dude (Post 5974060)
I had to have complete rotors and pads replaced in an older Ford Freestyle. Discovered the father-in-law from whom I purchased the car always used Cruise control. So the rear brakes were constantly in use to moderate speeds on the highway. Significantly more use of brakes than not using cruise control.

What relationship do the rear brakes and the cruise control have on a Freestyle?

IC2 11-04-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat Dude (Post 5974060)

I think you are talking about Active Cruise Control - except to the best of my knowledge, Ford didn't start using that feature until 2017.

My history with many Fords is that the OE rotors and pads are way too soft and are often both shot in the 22,000 to 40,000 mile range, depending on vehicle - as were the ones on my last 3 trucks (including the curren one) and the past 2003 Escape and 2012 Fusion, The current Escape Titanium is suspect as the Michelin Latitude tires are shot at 21,000 miles.

psmiller 11-04-2021 08:06 AM

Latest trip out was 4 weeks lakeside at our favorite (kinda close to home) campground...the toilet seat broke (hinges). Was not inconvenient enough to cause us to leave...but an easy fix once back at home!