iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

GRF 11-05-2021 09:35 AM

Front wheel

Just got back from an awesome 5000+ miles trip! No major problems until we were within 300 miles from home and noticed the left front tire wearing on the outside and cupping. Decided I had hit too many holes in road and front end needed alignment. Then, by the time I pulled into our drive, there was a squeaking sound from the front left. I took the unit to local tire dealer to get alignment and he discovered that the wheel hub was loose on the spindle. Further discovering that the wheel bearing were basically dry, had heated up and causing the wheel hub to become loose. Under warranty, so I called Ford and they opened a case, gave approval within a couple days and paid for the complete front end diagnosis and fix!! Could have been a disaster while on the road! Thanks to Ford for expediting the case.

dwkerch 11-05-2021 01:33 PM

In late September, less than 200 miles into a 3,000 mile trip, near Colby, KS we suddenly lost power in our coach. Couldn't get past 30 - 40 mph. Managed to find a small mechanic shop in Colby where they are familiar with Cummins engines and very adept at working on them. Fuel filter and fuel/water separator were old and we suspected one of them as the culprit. Changed them... still no power. As I exited the back lot of the shop to try the new filters the fellow that runs the shop "heard a familiar flutter" and suspected a turbocharger issue. Checked the turbo and discovered two missing nuts and one lose nut on the turbo mounting studs. Pulled the turbo and discovered a broken mounting gasket. Didn't have the correct gasket so the mechanic cobbled the old gasket back together and remounted the turbo. Coach ran great, and some 3,000 miles later we are back at home and ready to get a new gasket for the turbo. There are still some folks out there that can improvise and fix what's broken!

Gammel 11-11-2021 10:37 PM

One of the little do-hickies molded into the door of the Norcold that locks the door tray in.
Did I mention it is 18 months young? Grrrr. It looks like I have to replace the whole
inside panel!

rffowler55 11-12-2021 06:58 AM

Previous trip the passenger side dual wiper arm broke during a heavy rain. This trip the driver’s side wiper arm broke in the same area during another rain storm. Parking brake sensor light failed and spent hours at a Love’s truck stop for one of their mechanics to confirm the brake was not engaged even though the light was on.

Sewer hose bayonet failed to stay
locked with hose extension causing a rupture when we dumped the grey water, could have been worse. Had to drive 50 miles to locate a new hose.

Country Road 11-17-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwkerch (Post 5975696)
In late September, less than 200 miles into a 3,000 mile trip, near Colby, KS we suddenly lost power in our coach. Couldn't get past 30 - 40 mph. Managed to find a small mechanic shop in Colby where they are familiar with Cummins engines and very adept at working on them. Fuel filter and fuel/water separator were old and we suspected one of them as the culprit. Changed them... still no power. As I exited the back lot of the shop to try the new filters the fellow that runs the shop "heard a familiar flutter" and suspected a turbocharger issue. Checked the turbo and discovered two missing nuts and one lose nut on the turbo mounting studs. Pulled the turbo and discovered a broken mounting gasket. Didn't have the correct gasket so the mechanic cobbled the old gasket back together and remounted the turbo. Coach ran great, and some 3,000 miles later we are back at home and ready to get a new gasket for the turbo. There are still some folks out there that can improvise and fix what's broken!

Those guys are actually called mechanics. I remember when....

K Charles 11-17-2021 06:24 PM

Hydraulic leak on a leveling cylinder. Went to NAPA for brake clean, found a bad fitting and went back to NAPA, they had one at the warehouse and their truck was there so I had the fitting about 2 hrs later. Not an easy place to get to but its fixed. I hadn't planed anything for that day anyway.

CKlaner101 11-17-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloduster (Post 5930270)
Those of us who have been doing the RV game for a while realize that something goes wrong on almost every trip. I thought it might be fun...well maybe not fun...it might be interesting if we talked about our latest mishap...big or small!

My latest; in the middle of the night while camping near Rocky Mountain National Park the canister that contains the water filter split up the side and all our water was pumped out onto the ground. Fortunately the rupture was in an area that was open to the outside and NO damage was done.

I was able to remove the water filter and pull the plumbing together for a temporary fix until we got home. I paid $21 for a new water filter housing from Lowes, $15 for plumbing pieces and 3 trips to Lowes because I can never anticipate everything I need!

That's my story, what is yours?

All functions from steering wheel and turn signal control handle, so no turn signals, no cruise control, no wipers, no interface to trip computer, no miles to empty, no headlamp dim/bright control. So far, Ford says Jayco, Jayco dealer proved to me its Ford with a wiring diagram. Ford corporate involved, but they are just looking to make me go away.

speedway 11-18-2021 08:05 AM

Haldex Air dryer (only 3 years old), quit me. Low Air buzzer came on in traffic, managed to coast and lead traffic lights until I got to a parking lot. Spring brake deployed as I as I rolled to a stop.
Called Mobil RV tech, he arrived in couple hours, removed dryer, took 50 mile drive to FLiner for a new one. Tech did a nice install of dryer hardware, all fittings teflon taped. Back on the road 6.5 hours later.

Went with a Bendix dryer this time.

It was serviced annually with new filter. Is damp Florida climate a dryer killer?

Is Haldex an inferior product?

Jake21 11-20-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedway (Post 5989581)
Haldex Air dryer (only 3 years old), quit me. Low Air buzzer came on in traffic, managed to coast and lead traffic lights until I got to a parking lot. Spring brake deployed as I as I rolled to a stop.

Called Mobil RV tech, he arrived in couple hours, removed dryer, took 50 mile drive to FLiner for a new one. Tech did a nice install of dryer hardware, all fittings teflon taped. Back on the road 6.5 hours later.

Went with a Bendix dryer this time.

It was serviced annually with new filter. Is damp Florida climate a dryer killer?

Is Haldex an inferior product?

I had a similar experience with my dryer. The spring assy had gunk in it and it was sticking slightly open causing a drop in pressure and the warning buzzer to go off when I hit the brakes one time. I was able to tap it a few times and it closed up enough to get us to our campground. Since then when i replace the filter, i always clean the purge valve and spring assy. Havenít had any issues since.

DonR 11-27-2021 12:31 PM

stuff breaks

I stopped at my son's to overnight on my way from South Dakota to Iowa.
When i put out my 18 foot slide the Aluminum threshold stayed in the middle of the floor.

I made an appointment at REV for January to have that re-wielded.
I am also having them replace all of the slide seals on all 4 slides while i am there.

HD_Gator 11-29-2021 12:33 PM

3600 Mile trip from Dallas to Glendora, CA....

A bunch of small items.
1. Cross bolt for the front landing gear fell out. Threaded it back in and all good.
2. Water leak from the black tank flush at the anti siphon valve. A firm tightening and all good.
3. Water drain for the shower was not tight against the tub. Had to tighten another water fitting. Fun..

All easy stuff..

TandW 11-29-2021 12:43 PM

My back, my pocketbook, and then my spirit.

yeloduster 11-29-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TandW (Post 6001094)
My back, my pocketbook, and then my spirit.

My Back! yep. My pocketbook! yep. My spirit! NEVER!!

Dr. Mike 12-12-2021 03:17 PM

Today, for some reason, the passenger side docking lights do not work. The fuse was fine but changed it anyway. The switch is fine. The driver-side and rear docking lights work fine.

Best

Dr. Mike