iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

BlackPalazzo 09-27-2021 06:51 PM

Miracles

West Virginia to Wyoming round trip in a Palazzo 37.4. Nothing broke. Miracles do happen.

SteveJ. 09-27-2021 06:55 PM

Last trip out the power wire on the Kenwoodin dash stereo came loose from the factory harness and shorted to ground taking out the fuse that poweres the stereo and horn relay trigger.

I took this opportunity to replace the itty bitty single din stereo with a double din with a touch screen. I also took this opportunity to replace the four 23 year old Delco speakers that had most of the foam cone holders rotted away. It all sounds a whole bunch better with fresh JBLs. Yeehaw.

jacwjames 09-27-2021 06:56 PM

Just before going to bed one night the generator died. Didn't need it so the next day drove ~400 miles but when I tried to start the generator and the transfer kicked in the generator would die. After trying to isolate the problem I found if I left one of the two breakers off from the inverter the generator would run and at least I could run the AC's but the inverter would not charge the batteries. So I had to cut my trip short.
After I got home I actually isolated it to one of the inverter circuits and it tested a dead short on a portion of the circuit. I was able to reroute power to fix the circuit.

Since then I actually installed a separate smaller inverter that has the capability of charging the batteries off the generator.

Bangorbob 09-27-2021 08:19 PM

Two times ago my water pump and radiator broke. The last time out was a rear wheel liner came off and ripped the valve stem off. Ruined inside rear tire. Stuff happens, then you sell.

bobmar 09-27-2021 08:22 PM

Flawless…….really…….did I just jinx it!!!

bokobird 09-27-2021 09:01 PM

Pocket door, the holder on the inside half fell off so it's always crooked now, except when fully closed, for some reason it looks right.

Rob_M 09-27-2021 09:14 PM

All the right side smartwheel controls (windshield wipers etc) quit working right after it quit raining on our way to the coast. Got home and took the dash apart and bypassed them and installed a new rocker switch so I would have wipers until I have time to diagnose. Now dash ac doesn’t work. 🤨. DW says “good job Tim Taylor”. [emoji52]

charliez 09-28-2021 06:22 AM

Nothing

IC2 09-28-2021 06:23 AM

Since Covid we haven't left our seasonal site for the odd trip but still had a few items that have needed repair/replacement.

- Zero G hose started leaking at the pedestal water bib fitting. From doing a bit of research, this is about the most common failure of these hoses.

- 10 and 5 foot sewer hoses failed.

- Both black and gray tank dump valves in the combination sewer line are jammed probably from using the wrong, non dissolving TP. The Valterra line end valve is holding things at bay until we bring the RC home in a couple weeks. Parts on hand.

- The the biggie cost wise. The converter/charger's cooling fan started 'singing'. Again! I replaced the converter with another brand then replaced that cheap ($6 @ AMAZON) fan in the old one with better bearings. Now have a spare for the 'next' time.

99-Am.Star 09-28-2021 07:33 AM

On our last trip out in late August, we suffered a major 12 volt system breakdown on our coach. The overhead bunk was stuck in the down position, the engine would not start and numerious othe r things would not work, Fortunatly The good folks at Sycamore hills RV in Lebano, Pa. were kind enough to come to my campsite and one of there mechanics was able to diagnose the problem in about 15 minutes. Next problem was he did not have a part to fix the problem. But again he went out of his way to get the part the needed delivered the day at their shop, and I went and picked it up and put the new part in. He showed me how to do the repair and it worked out fine. It was a blown 150Amp fuse in the auxiliary Battery box undrer the step. He said he had never seen that furse Blow before. So now i will know hoe to diagnose and replace if need be again, and I will buy a replaccement fuse for myself and if someone else need's one.

rffowler55 09-28-2021 08:21 AM

Our last trip 2 weeks ago we pulled into our camping site and when we tried to crank the coach to lower the jacks, absolutely no sound when we turned the ignition switch. Replaced the starter and solenoid and that was not the problem, 2 days later and, calls to Ford and Newmar, that did not provide a solution, we started exchanging relay switches and found the starter relay was the problem. We got the coach cranked in time to leave our site for our home trip and it was raining so hard you had to drive 45 on a 70 MPH stretch of highway when the passenger wiper arm broke. We made it to an exit to detach the broken wiper arm and the cargo door, where we keep our tools, picked that exact time for the latching mechanism to jump off track. I had to lay under the coach in a large mud puddle to get the door latch to disengage.

GypsyR 09-28-2021 08:55 AM

Driving down the road with roof AC's on and the generator stopped. Wouldn't restart. We took a handy roadside diversion (thrift store) and I had a look. No response from the start switch at the unit. Wiggled the main 12 volt cable and it tried to crank. Cleaned the connection at the cable (again), tightened it, and it fired right up. It won't stay running without a good 12 volts+ on that cable.
No more than walked around the RV to put the tools up[ and heard the generator chugging. Hustled back to find the choke stuck partially on. That's a new one. Gave it a wiggle and everything purred the rest of the weekend.
Reminds me to do a more thorough repair of the two issues before we leave again in a couple of weeks.

Jake21 09-28-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmar (Post 5930634)
Flawless…….really…….did I just jinx it!!!

You’re screwed.

LETMGROW 09-28-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliez (Post 5930934)
Nothing

Same thing here. I did all my yearly maintenance when I brought my coach home from storage in May.
I installed the upgrade APB switches I had ordered from Ultra RV and replaced the carburetor on my generator. I've had the carb for a year and finally got around to installing it.
Didn't have to do anything else but put gas (ugh) in it every now and then. Getting ready to put it away again and it's just routine steps before storage.
Nice trouble free season.