iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

yeloduster 01-30-2022 09:35 AM

Over time the bedroom slide developed a symptom where pushing the switch caused the hydraulic motor to start but the room didn't move.

The switch is a DPDT momentary rocker switch. Half the switch turned on the hydraulic motor and the other half determined the direction of travel. Half the switch was intermittent.

I found a suitable replacement on Amazon. Extremely easy to change. It works good now.

petewolff 01-31-2022 06:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 6066054)
I think the gazillion potholes, mismatched highway to bridge transitions and other highway "works of art" on our 6,225 mile June cross country trip did all kinds of immediate and delayed damage to our 2017 coach.

In December when we arrived at our winter resort we found the BACK screws in overheard track for the HEAVY pocket door between the bathroom and bedroom had pulled out of the ceiling letting the back end of the track and door drop to the bottom of the pocket. The installation design would require significant destruction and removal of the finished wood walls to access. Over several hours, I was able to install long screws at an angle using about 4-5 feet of extensions.

I am thinking of putting a shim under the door when travelling to take some of the door weight off the track.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had a similar failure on my sliding doors .
Fixed it with new heavier duty hardware but also welded up a support bar for the unsupported side of the track as insurance.
Some 3/4” emt and an 1/8” plate top and bottom did the trick . This should take some stress off of the hardware. The picture of the support got rotated somehow and I don’t know how to fix that !

NorCal Hal 01-31-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petewolff (Post 6067080)
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had a similar failure on my sliding doors .
Fixed it with new heavier duty hardware but also welded up a support bar for the unsupported side of the track as insurance.
Some 3/4” emt and an 1/8” plate top and bottom did the trick . This should take some stress off of the hardware. The picture of the support got rotated somehow and I don’t know how to fix that !

Our door rail pulled away from the ceiling in the back of a 2" wide 24" deep pocket. I can't even get my arm back where the screws pulled out. That's why I had to use a combination of socket extensions, flashlight and lay on the floor to reach the holes in the rail at an angle that would allow me to drive the longer screws in yet not have so much screw head sticking out that the door rollers couldn't pass under them. I replaced all of the factory 1 1/2" long screws with larger and longer screws.

If it fails again, I considered taking the track out and welding a bracket on the bottom edge of the back end of the track that will allow me to put some screws or bolts into the back of the pocket horizontal wall. It would have to be a finished, nice installation as the backside of the bolt would be in the bedroom doorway and that wood is only 3/4" thick.

Adopting your approach, maybe I could wedge a length of vertical EMT into the back of the pocket supporting the track at the top and hold the EMT in place at the bottom with a strip of wood nailed to the bottom of the track. That would be a LOT easier than removing and replacing all the track screws!

znt1186 01-31-2022 10:49 AM

Radiator let go on us just as we got home. Didn't just explode or anything, but left a puddle of coolant where we unhooked the toad. Managed to limp over to a repair shop to have it replaced. Now we wait for a month or two for them to have time to work on it and get a new radiator.

petewolff 01-31-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 6067403)
Our door rail pulled away from the ceiling in the back of a 2" wide 24" deep pocket. I can't even get my arm back where the screws pulled out. That's why I had to use a combination of socket extensions, flashlight and lay on the floor to reach the holes in the rail at an angle that would allow me to drive the longer screws in yet not have so much screw head sticking out that the door rollers couldn't pass under them. I replaced all of the factory 1 1/2" long screws with larger and longer screws.

If it fails again, I considered taking the track out and welding a bracket on the bottom edge of the back end of the track that will allow me to put some screws or bolts into the back of the pocket horizontal wall. It would have to be a finished, nice installation as the backside of the bolt would be in the bedroom doorway and that wood is only 3/4" thick.

Adopting your approach, maybe I could wedge a length of vertical EMT into the back of the pocket supporting the track at the top and hold the EMT in place at the bottom with a strip of wood nailed to the bottom of the track. That would be a LOT easier than removing and replacing all the track screws!

I was originally going to install an “L” bracket on the unsupported side but there is nothing substantial to screw into .
Figured an emt “ crutch” would transfer the weight to the floor and eliminate deflection from bumps and potholes.
We will be traveling on I95 through South Carolina next month so that will be the acid test since that’s what caused the failure to begin with !

NorCal Hal 01-31-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petewolff (Post 6067453)
I was originally going to install an “L” bracket on the unsupported side but there is nothing substantial to screw into .
Figured an emt “ crutch” would transfer the weight to the floor and eliminate deflection from bumps and potholes.
We will be traveling on I95 through South Carolina next month so that will be the acid test since that’s what caused the failure to begin with !

After measuring, I find that the door is wider than the pocket is deep! It hits the back when closed and still extends about 1/2" beyond the pockets so there is NO room behind the door for an EMT "crutch." I may have to go back to the original plan.

yeloduster 01-31-2022 06:06 PM

The original design on my coach had the door sticking out 1" or so. If you can live with a 1/2" sticking out...so what!

My pocket door is in a hallway. Any intrusion past the pocket narrows the hallway to the bedroom. We can get by easily, change mattresses and anything else we need to do with it sticking out a little.

woodfoot 04-21-2022 02:13 PM

my wallet!!!!

SteveJ. 04-21-2022 02:39 PM

Our almost full black tank when we got rear ended on I-10 east of Quartzite along with some body damage that I'm in the middle of fixing.

The people that hit us had a real "crappy" morning aside from their car being totaled.

Bobby F 04-21-2022 03:01 PM

Spent the winter putting about 4400 miles on the rig, between MN and AZ and back. All over, bad roads, lost places, no cellular service areas. Places where a breakdown could have been no fun.

Got back home, and blew out a U-joint 1 mile from my storage spot, 3 miles from my son's house. Got him on the phone, pulled it off the road with his truck, and replaced the U-joint within a few hours of breakdown.

I live a charmed life. This could have happened anywhere. It happened in the best possible spot.

twinboat 04-21-2022 03:07 PM

9 year old Xantrex Prowatt 1000 made a pop sound and electronic smoke leaked out while running our 900 watt Kurig and TV.

Haven't heard the fan running the last few times we used it.

Orderd a 1500 watt one.

Marine359 04-22-2022 05:31 AM

Top bracket holding 12v fridge into the cabinet surround worked itself loose, and fridge fell backwards into the cabinet. IMHO, bad design or production.

5240 04-22-2022 07:39 AM

The Saga Continues

Our 2020 Gulf Stream BT5240 is continuing in its quest to spend my $$$$.
On our trip from MN to FL half way down the Dometic 6cu ft fridge decided to spring a leak in the ammonia system spewing the yellow cake in the wall compartment. Bought two new coolers and ice to save food stored in fridge.

Two days later the Maxx Air ceiling fan decides to illuminate the "green light of death" and ended its service.

Heading back to MN in about a week so decided to flush my Suburban SW6DE water heater and check condition of anode. Anode about 50% but the calcium deposits were quite numerous and saw some blue colored flakes, yep the porcelain liner has deteriorated and the water heater needs to be replaced.

Naturally none of this is under warranty according to the Big 3 because I did not report these defects in the first 30 days of ownership!

Awj0702 04-22-2022 10:46 AM

Kitchen faucet started leaking. Required a bowl until I could fix it