iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

Tahoetom 04-22-2022 11:30 AM

I-20 in Dallas rush hour

Going East on I-20 near Dallas bumper to bumper rush hour, serpentine belt exploded, fun week end in Dallas

tom3855wales 04-25-2022 08:32 AM

Boy, talk about opening a can of worms! This could well be an ENDLESS conversation, Motorhomes. Well let me see here.....canopy bracket pulled out of ext. wall because they collided w oneanother? how does that happen? Tecma toilet stopped flushing, thank goodness for hall bath with normal toilet. HWH level leg would not come down but after cycling the auto level a third time all 4 came down and worked. Any body want to buy a Tiffin openroad 36la 2016? Soon it will be all new again LOL its the old Mercedes Benz system.... keep replaceing oem parts and sooner or later you have a brand new coach!!!

L-M-L 04-25-2022 09:33 AM

In January we went to visit my daughter as we got ready to leave the long slide out for the dining, living room decided it didn't want to move. Had to cut a hole in the belly to get at the slide out motor assembly. Found the key for the drive gear on the racks drive shaft sheared. Had to use a crescent wrench on the square tubing to get the slide out back in. Then had to use some straps to hold the slide out in place while traveling. Then yesterday was getting camper ready for a trip in a week and found the water heater leaking. Got a new one ordered and hoping it will be here in time to get it replaced before the trip. Seems like it's always something to fix on the camper or truck.

Unplanned Tourist 04-26-2022 07:40 AM

The forward slide came out an inch or so while driving. I pulled into a roadside rest stop, tried to move it back in, smelled hydraulic oil! Jumped out and saw that the oil had sprayed on the exhaust and caught fire!! I am so happy that I got it out quick with the fire extinguisher. Luckily I had an old hose left over from when another hose came apart at a fitting. (Replaced both) It can be a good thing to have spare parts. :)

CKlaner101 04-26-2022 10:32 PM

Canít get electrical fixed on Class A

Here is one. About 50% of the time I lose most things controlled from steering column. Wipers, turn signals, cruise control, dimmer, washer and all communications to trip computer. Dozens of times minutes to a day each time. Latest failure left turn signal would not stop no matter what, and zi canít get an appointment at Ford dealer for 10-12 weeks! Only one service provider in all of WA for Class A motor homes. 3rd such issue getting service appointment in last 12 months. Ford warranty basically worthless!

Spidergawd 04-27-2022 09:21 AM

For the first time since we bought our rig new, there were a couple of issues when preparing for our first trip.

First was a leaking Borg valve stem. Looks like the Ford dealer didn't torque it down sufficiently when installing last summer. Glad I caught it at the storage facility! CoachNet dispatched a mobile tire service and they fixed it right up.

Second was a clogged aerator on the kitchen faucet. Pressure and flow were REALLY low. I cleaned some obvious sediment from the aerator, but it didn't help much. Turns out the little insert inside of it has VERY small holes, most of which were plugged solid by mineral deposits. Even with a fine needle I couldn't get it cleared up very well. As a temporary fix, I simply drilled a 1/8" hole in the fine screen part. That took care of it, but I should remember to get a replacement since the flow is a bit wonky now.

Sure could have been worse.

IdahoBen 04-27-2022 09:25 AM

A tire... we were way out on some BLM land. Limped it ~5 miles to get back to pavement, called Good Sam RA, and was road worthy 3 hours later... on Easter Sunday!

groveln 04-27-2022 10:25 AM

Coming back home to Illinois from SW Florida winter stay I lost my Cruise Control with a Amber CEL about 300 or so miles in..Checked everything out that I could & it all looked good so I drove another 1000 miles home with no issues & a very tired right foot. Bought a Scangauge-D & got a 151 fault code for an ATC system issue that my '04 American Eagle 400 ISL coach doesn't have & my Cummins Quickserve site converts the 151 to SPN 110..Coolant Temp Sensor issue with a RED CEL & Derate all which never happened so I'm STILL trying to chase it down after 2 1/2 weeks..Spartan & Cummins haven't been much help..BTW the PTO using the Cruise Control buttons works fine! My RIGHT FOOT is hoping to get this resolved very soon!!!

rini2 04-28-2022 08:17 AM

Dometic Awning trouble

2 Attachment(s)
Last summer we were at Cole's Creek State Park on the St. Lawrence River in NY. A very sudden wind sheer came up and before I could get the awning retracted the rear awning arm failed. I was able to make enough of a repair to get the awning tethered to the side of the MH to make it home. I called Winnebago and was told that they don't carry awning parts and I needed to go to the manufacturer for the replacement parts. With all the information from the ID tags on the awning I called Dometic. They stated that my awning arms are a Winnebago specific part that has been obsoleted with no replacement available. My MH is a 2012 Winnebago 33C Which was produced through 2017. The difference with the Winnebago specific part and a standard Dometic awning is the the Winnebago arm is 3" longer to allow the awning to clear the front passenger's side bump out that is under the awning. So long story short all the 33C's sold through 2017 have no awning replacement available due to what I call corporation greed. The new RV corporations are ALL ABOUT SALES and could care less about customer support after the sale. Neither Winnebago nor Dometic were sympathetic in the least and offered zero assistance.
This was my 3rd new Class A from Winnebago and I can assure you it is my last. They are NOT the company they once were. Luckily I am fairly handy and was able to obtain the non-Winnebago specific parts of the awning arm and straightened the arm the best I could to get the awning usable again.

Hit_the_Rhod 04-28-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKlaner101 (Post 6161737)
Here is one. About 50% of the time I lose most things controlled from steering column. Wipers, turn signals, cruise control, dimmer, washer and all communications to trip computer. Dozens of times minutes to a day each time. Latest failure left turn signal would not stop no matter what, and zi canít get an appointment at Ford dealer for 10-12 weeks! Only one service provider in all of WA for Class A motor homes. 3rd such issue getting service appointment in last 12 months. Ford warranty basically worthless!

I would suggest writing a letter to Ford Motor Company, with a copy to your local dealership, stating that you are informing them in writing in order to MEMORIALIZE the circumstances, detailing the issues you are experiencing, stating that in it's current condition, the vehicle is not usable for it's intended purpose (driving on public highways), since the defects affect required safety equipment (turn signals, and perhaps emergency flashers as well). If you can document when you first informed Ford of the problem, requesting an appointment, or if not, then request that from the date of your letter, you are requesting that your Ford Factory Warranty be extended for the amount of time from Ford being notified of the problem, until the date that the problem is SUCCESSFULLY resolved. Reference the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT of 1975 in your letter. Request that the requested warranty extension be provided IN WRITING.
Depending on their response, or lack of response, I would open a case with your state Office of the Attorney General. You can do this free of charge, most times on-line. Document each and every contact you've had with Ford, what was said, and their responses. Be clear and concise. In my experience, they will take it from there, especially if you have provided a clear statement of the issue, and let them know what your requested resolution is, for instance "repair of your vehicle in a timely manner, with the warranty extended for the amount of time between Ford being notified, and the successful repair actually being accomplished." No business wants to get a letter from the State Office of the Attorney General.
Best of luck!

rcnuts 04-29-2022 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rini2 (Post 6163062)
Last summer we were at Cole's Creek State Park on the St. Lawrence River in NY. A very sudden wind sheer came up and before I could get the awning retracted the rear awning arm failed. I was able to make enough of a repair to get the awning tethered to the side of the MH to make it home. I called Winnebago and was told that they don't carry awning parts and I needed to go to the manufacturer for the replacement parts. With all the information from the ID tags on the awning I called Dometic. They stated that my awning arms are a Winnebago specific part that has been obsoleted with no replacement available. My MH is a 2012 Winnebago 33C Which was produced through 2017. The difference with the Winnebago specific part and a standard Dometic awning is the the Winnebago arm is 3" longer to allow the awning to clear the front passenger's side bump out that is under the awning. So long story short all the 33C's sold through 2017 have no awning replacement available due to what I call corporation greed. The new RV corporations are ALL ABOUT SALES and could care less about customer support after the sale. Neither Winnebago nor Dometic were sympathetic in the least and offered zero assistance.
This was my 3rd new Class A from Winnebago and I can assure you it is my last. They are NOT the company they once were. Luckily I am fairly handy and was able to obtain the non-Winnebago specific parts of the awning arm and straightened the arm the best I could to get the awning usable again.

I feel your pain! I dont have the link but there are several MH junkyards on this forum if you do a search. I had to replace 1 arm on our older Holiday Rambler right after we bought it as the arm was bent and the awning was difficult to extend. A local dealer had a shed full of awning arms. Found one, bought it cheap, and did the replacement. Wasnt easy preloading the springs but I did that also. Been working perfectly since. Good luck!

AcumenX 04-29-2022 06:19 PM

Your wallet is not the only thing that is surely broke!

wildtoad 04-29-2022 06:38 PM

Cruise control.

pnebel 04-30-2022 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awning on drivers side split. Have one ordered & shop ready to put it on when we get the MH back from body shop.

Driving home on I70, passing a semi & sheets of ice came off the top of the trailer and hit the windshield. Also damaged the fiberglass under the windshield. At the body shop now repairing & repainting, and fixing a few other dings that happened. Also new windshield.

That has turned out to be an expensive trip. And that was in February before the cost of fuel went up.