iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   What broke while on your last RV trip? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/what-broke-while-on-your-last-rv-trip-555737.html)

jeddpearl 10-03-2021 06:41 PM

Nothing major other than the fridge quit working after we had it washed. Water had got into the outside vent and the lemon switch kicked it off. I let it cool off for a few hours and then took vent off and placed a magnet on the black box. I held it there for a few minutes and the red light kicked on and we heard the fridge start. Fortunately, it was not a big deal.

Ask this question again next year after we travel 2000 miles to Palm Springs for the winter and back to Indianapolis :eek:

Krikati 10-03-2021 06:42 PM

Silver link stopped working. Cruise control went kaput. Passenger seat controls stopped working. Can't zero the trip odometer. Inner rear tires overheating. + about 10 more things all on the maiden voyage of my New Aire.

RRBattani 10-03-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st (Post 5930490)
Cabinet latch and got a rock in windshield.

Fortunately it did not spread and I got it fixed today. Stone chip repairs with my deductible are free so far.

Do not want to have to find someone to replace my one piece front windshield.

Terry

We had the one piece windshield on our Windsor replaced this past March. I lowered our glass deductible to $250.00 about a month prior to filing the claim. That is a $3800.00 piece of glass installed.

Igeaux 10-03-2021 06:47 PM

When we had the Thor, every trip was an exercise

in repairing the Generac Generator, fresh water plumbing and reattaching things that fell off.

Only 1 problem on the road with the Country Coach. Idler Pulley bearing froze up just West of Junction TX. Great folks in that town made the repair painless.

During Hurricane Ida, the DC voltage regulator on the Onan Generator gave up. Strange results. I'll make a dedicated post about the problem, trouble shooting and repair.

Bobby F 10-03-2021 06:49 PM

This is turning into one of those threads to which you send your friends when they ask if they should buy an RV.

:whistling:

kbenfield 10-03-2021 06:51 PM

Mysterious leak under coach. Know itís fresh water thank the Lord. Also ice maker tubing crimped and leaked. Itís always something.

Jarlaxle 10-03-2021 07:00 PM

Nothing. The Soviet Bloc build quality of most RVs is why I built my own.

Jarlaxle 10-03-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby F (Post 5937453)
This is turning into one of those threads to which you send your friends when they ask if they should buy an RV.

:whistling:

They need to know that the build quality is typically on a level that would have the builders of Trabants, Ladas, and Yugos hanging their heads in shame. RVs are like Soviet-era cars: expect something to break on every trip.

BlueRidgeTim 10-03-2021 07:19 PM

Rear wheel speed sensors finally went bad on my Sprinter chassis on the outbound leg of a 6day trip. This caused numerous colorful dashboard warnings to come up and cruise control to quit working for the rest of the trip. Didnít cause any breakdown though & taking it to Mercedes for recall pair in two days.

Streamintrip 10-03-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve 716 (Post 5937286)
My rear engine mounted dash air conditioner compressor locked up and broke the belt. It was hot outside and we had to run our generator to operate our roof top ACs while traveling. Upon arrival at our destination I drove to a Cummins shop to have them install my spare belt and that is when we discovered that the compressor was shot. That cost me two hours of diagnostics at $175 per hour for a tech who didnít have any idea how AC works. I think it also was the first time he installed a belt. At the end of his two hours of wasted time (he did get the belt installed) another tech came over and it took him maybe five minutes to diagnose the problem. I ordered a new compressor from Spartan, installed it myself, located the ports at the front of my coach, and a local home A/C tech came by and charged my system. Cummins kept my $350 donation.

We had the same issue, the only one to date that has shutdown the Coach on the road. We were in SC and the check engine light and shutdown warning came on. Luckily we were 200 yds from a county school complex and pulled in. I saw the remains of a sepentine belt dangling out the rear.

A call to Protective XtraRide, our warranty company, and they sent out a tech from a diesel repair shop about 25 mi away. The tech immediately diagnosed that the "real" problem was that the dash a/c compressor had locked up and chewed up and threw the serpentine belt.

XtraRide sent a wrecker to tow us to the shop where they pulled the compressor and ordered a new one to be delivered ASAP. 2 days later the repairs were completed. XtraRide reimbursed us for two nights in a motel and all meals. We were out $100 deductible, freight, shop supplies and the CC fee the shop charges, a total of $360 out of $2,650 including the tow by a 4 axle recovery vehicle.

No muss, no fuss; XtraRide was no problem with which to deal.

Susie410 10-03-2021 07:25 PM

The window above the sinkÖ $500 repairÖ.

Kxbronco 10-03-2021 07:25 PM

Living room slide suddenly stopped extending on the right side. Crawled underneath and found a broken bolt. Realigned and replaced bolt and all is good. Waste ball seal in the toilet started leaking….part ordered. And last but not least, Kwikee steps stopped going out when the stairs are retracted with switch turned off and the door is opened, otherwise works fine when the switch is on. Will dig into the steps this week.

MikeandGini 10-03-2021 07:32 PM

Something happens to us every trip

We just got back from camping. The last trip our awning motor went out (our camper is only 2 yrs old). By the time we paid someone to come look it (in the pouring rain) then had to buy the motor and have someone else come put it in we are out about $700! This time our truck battery went dead and wouldn't start. Luckily the camp host had a portable charger. And we had to go to buy a new one. So another almost $300 out. We've also put a new bathroom faucet in, new shower plumbing and had the trailer rewired. All since July 2019.

KingCruzer 10-03-2021 07:43 PM

How about the hitch extender snapping at the weld and my toad on a blue ox broke away? Fortunately I just exited the Interstate in Interior SD and was only going 35 mph.