iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   On the Road and the Gremlins are Active (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/on-the-road-and-the-gremlins-are-active-555781.html)

Notn2bars 09-27-2021 08:43 PM

On the Road and the Gremlins are Active

Hello everybody, pray everyone is healthy and happy. We finally hit the road today on our way to Niagara Falls. The coach is running fine and the Gremlins hit. The odometer is reading incorrectly. It is reading about 7-8 miles per hour above what we are actually going. The pac brake quit working. The fuel gauge is fluctuating. The oil gauge is reading a little less than 30 psi. The ammeter is reading above 14 volts. The tranny temp is reading about 150. If my fuel gauge is correct, we used 1/4 tank to go 120 miles. Something is not right. The tach seems to be working as it should. At 1800 rpm we are doing 63-64 mph. Checked it with the gps. Any ideas or help provided is appreciated. We are boon docking at the Walmart near Corpus Christi. Not sure if it is prudent to continue with the trip.:banghead:

Berryfarmer 09-27-2021 09:04 PM

Wow! It sounds like the gremlins are having a picnic in your coach. I will say that the tranny temp of 150 isn’t bad at all. Also 1/4 tank isn’t terrible if you think 120 miles at 8 mpg equals 15 gallons, and it’s over 21 gallons at 7 mpg! If you have a 100 gal tank it’s probably close. Also I once had a Chevy van that only used 1/8 of a tank in the first 300 miles! It was the last hundred that used the remaining 7/8 of a tank ��
Just keep the tank topped off and you’ll learn how it acts.

153stars 09-27-2021 11:12 PM

Owners have had bad ground at bus bar behind/under the dash. I have a ground bus bar above genny outside of dash/firewall , I don't where or if a main battery or frame ground wire feeds/or connected to it ,but if tightening all those wires and screws to firewall helps ground firewall better it couldn't hurt either. Also there is an ignition solenoid in front elect. bay check for voltage drop across it. Put a MM to both sides of bigger cables, should read zero or very close. Then read both sides to ground as well should be near the same.

jacwjames 09-28-2021 09:38 AM

Your ground buss bar is probably on the firewall above the generator, that's where mine is, check all of these for tightness.
The dash gauges are daisy chained so if there is one bad connection they all go bad.

On my coach not easy to get to the dash, have to pull the whole front panel but it is doable.

FWIW, this is why I decide to go with a different monitoring system. I could not depend on my gauges. Several brands out there.

You might find a Scangauge at a large truck stop that would be plug and play and give you all the info you need.

When I bought mine in 2013 the Silverleaf system seemed the best option. Just bought a new tablet to display it on, for some reason both my smaller Sony Viao's quite working with it and my Dell laptop was just too big. The Surface GO 2 tablet was plug and play and does a good job.

Now if I can only get my wife to use it:banghead:

Timaz 09-28-2021 03:01 PM

X2

Your ground buss bar is probably on the firewall above the generator, that's where mine is, check all of these for tightness.
The dash gauges are daisy chained so if there is one bad connection they all go bad.

I use a Scanngauge for that reason.

Tim

Notn2bars 09-28-2021 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you Jim, Tim and 153stars. Kinda what I thought might be the problem. Haven't checked out the bus bar in the genny compartment. Thank the Lord, He showed me this connection while I was under the coach greasing the last fitting. So, this morning crawled under the coach by the drivers side electric bay and tighten the fitting. It goes through the side of the bay. Not sure why this kinda worked. All the gauges are reading correctly now, almost. The pac brake, the tack and the speedometer are still not working correctly. Been on the road today. Now at the Thousand Trails Campground on Lake Conroe north of Houston. Will be here until Thur. So have all day tomorrow to chase down gremlins. I have an Edge setup on the F350. Really like it, gives me all the readings. If we can find something like that for the MH, it would be great. Is there a port under the dash for the hookup, or does one have to be fabricated? God bless all of you! Ed

Notn2bars 09-28-2021 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Located buss bar in genny compartment just below where the gauge cluster would be located. It's pretty corroded. Will take it out in the morning and clean it up. Hopefully that will work, Good Lord willing. Thanks again for the general location it helped in the search. God bless, Ed

jacwjames 09-28-2021 07:18 PM

Yes, there should be a J plug under the dash on the left side. That is where I plug my Silverleaf module in.

There are at least three options for a monitoring system.
Scangauge is an option, plugs in and has a small display that shows the information

Bluefire is a bluetooth system, you can use a phone or tablet to display the info you want.

Silverleaf is either wired or bluetooth.

I have a Silverleaf but if were to do it today I'd go with the Bluefire.

153stars 09-28-2021 10:50 PM

I have a pair of those through wall isolators in elect. bay ,fed by one cable and feed to genny. They are linked by bus bar in bay, try cleaning the dirty side/cable if you haven't . When I got coach cleaned every possible ground for batts, frame, and at starter. The genny had bad starter, before I knew for sure, it only start when chassis was at tip top charge . So I cleaned every possible Pos. cable for everything. Ended up at the isolator in pic through elec. bay , then to genny cleaned both sides there. Also did that bus bar on firewall and lots of other grounds I stumble across as I fiddle around. The genny is still harder to start then Cummins M11 if batts get low-ish.

Notn2bars 09-29-2021 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the buss bar out and started to clean it. Realized it had 27 wires but only 14 places for connections. It was so corroded I didn't want to mess with trying to clean all the holes and screws. Went to Lowes and picked up a new buss bar with 21 connectors. Nice shiny and clean. Put anti corrosion protection on all connections and put in place. Took about 4 hrs to get it done. As usual had to be a contorsionist to do the work, but it is done. God Bless Ed:dance:

153stars 09-29-2021 10:21 PM

Never heard of too good of a ground. Unless it was to positive lol. I got tired of bad grounds to a trailer so soldered two ground wires right to frame with old duct work solder iron. It worked unlit I got rid of it.
Hope this helps and should help in the future.

Notn2bars 09-30-2021 05:37 PM

UUUUUUUgh!!!!!

Update today, on the road again stopping at the Lake Tawakoni TT Campground for the night. The speedo is still not reading correctly in spite of the clean, shiny buss bar. Also, tested the pac brake and it only worked one time as we began our trek this morning. Me thinks they are linked together. There must be a loose connection or bad ground somewhere, just have to find it. Will be traveling again tomorrow and the next day. Will have a free day after that to chase Gremlins again. Any additional clues ya'll might have are worth a try. Really don't like driving the MH without the pac brake. God Bless, Ed:facepalm:

RamiDav 09-30-2021 08:04 PM

Hi Ed,
Have you looked at the Pac brake itself? Could it be sticking again?
My Pac brake will not activate if I have the accelerator pedal down by even the slightest amount so I don't know if something in that area could cause your problem or not. Some people train themselves to keep the accelerator down very slightly so they can leave the exhaust brake switch in the on position.
The engine ECM can be programmed for the brake to operate in a number of ways but I'm not familiar with all of them.

Lake Tawakoni is not far from where we live. You may have storms tonight so bring in the awning.

Ray 03 Windsor

153stars 09-30-2021 10:15 PM

I'm no expert but an erratic speed signal could affect Pac brake , cruise control as well as some affect on trans ECM shift pattern ,as a group.
The output speed sensor is at driveshaft side of 3000 &4000. Allison trans one plug you could try to reseat it and inspect the wiring.