iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/thought-id-throw-this-out-there-for-general-discussion-556427.html)

TexasJeff 10-03-2021 11:51 AM

Thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion

So, I'm thinking. And I don't want to start a barroom brawl here either. :cool:

The problem:
It's not much of a "problem" per-se, because we're about to become first-time grandparents. But our son-in-law also accepted a really fine job offer about 5 hours away so, they bought their first home in Fort Worth and next weekend is their move date.

Now, mama wants to be near her baby girl when our grandson arrives. And we ain't going to give up our acreage to go chasing anyone around the country. So I need some kind of solution and here's where me thinking usually gets me in trouble. So here goes: 1) Buy a condo within driving distance - Cost will probably be $200-300k. Or, 2) Buy a 40' Class A motorhome but keep the cost under $100k.

I'm going back and forth. 1) The condo might be easier to eventually sell someday when we no longer need it. Who knows.. the kids might move again. 2) By buying a land-yacht, we not only can stash it in Fort Worth as a place to stay, invest less money up-front, and use it for glamorous trips to FL resorts.

So, can the more sane minds here please rationalize what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Also, if you're of the "Buy the motorhome!" crowd, would you mind also chiming in on your recommendations? It would need to be about 40', in the $50-100k price range, and diesel.

R.Wold 10-03-2021 12:09 PM

Id think about renting a small house or even an apartment for a few months (minimal expense) and see how it goes. It may turn out that those 5 hours are a comfortable cushion.

And as you said, they may pick up and move again. I have friends and family chasing their kids/grand kids around the country moving every couple years, and they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and expense by sensing a temporary situation and applying a more temporary response.

The coach is a nice idea, but not really all that well aligned with visits from two adults and a baby and probably their dog. Not enough square feet, kitchen and bath not designed for that, and you’d be on a narrow strip of ground with effectively no yard.

On the other hand, if you kept visits to their place, you could test the waters with your current coach and toad and see how it goes. Whatever you do, Id put buying real estate last on the list after you've tried other things, determined what will work, and are reasonably sure they are going to stay put for a while.

I also tend to think we are on top of another real estate price bubble. Ive been an active real estate investor for about 30 years (Im over it now but still pay attention) and this opinion comes from watching three 10 or so year market cycles. So if thats correct (admittedly a big if) then you’d also do well to wait a while and see what happens, although that could take a couple years to find out.

pasdad1 10-03-2021 12:17 PM

You already have a nice class C motorhome. I would find a nice park close and stay for a couple of months. Maybe your class C is small enough you can even “mooch-dock” in your daughter’s new driveway?

Then evaluate from there…..

No need to jump in head first to a condo purchase or DP purchase so soon…..besides real estate and RV’s are crazy expensive right now (the bubble may burst within a year or so as interest rates climb and inflation starts to spiral)

Also if getting a class A, why the diesel requirement? Sounds like you would be pretty stationary for awhile.

If you were going to full-time and actually travel the country for months at a time, then diesel is a priority, I agree.

R.Wold 10-03-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasdad1 (Post 5936873)
You already have a nice class C motorhome. I would find a nice park close and stay for a couple of months. Maybe your class C is small enough you can even “mooch-dock” in your daughter’s new driveway?
:thumb:

Then evaluate from there…..

No need to jump in head first to a condo purchase or DP purchase so soon…..besides real estate and RV’s are crazy expensive right now (the bubble may burst within a year or so as interest rates climb and inflation starts to spiral)

Also if getting a class A, why the diesel requirement? Sounds like you would be pretty stationary for awhile.

If you were going to full-time and actually travel the country for months at a time, then diesel is a priority, I agree.

:thumb::D

lenny-shawna 10-03-2021 12:39 PM

I'm also in the crowd as why not keep what you already have? Would you actually utilize a condo for that price combined with the fees and upkeep associated with another house?

jacwjames 10-03-2021 01:49 PM

The RV market is really hot right now so if you try and upgrade you'll be paying a premium. Any type of RV is a loosing proposition in the long run and when the market goes south it will be even worse.

I'd try and use your existing rig, chances are you won't be spending much time in it anyway.

scenic route 10-03-2021 02:19 PM

The cheap way...

For me, I'd hire an electrician to install 30 A service for the RV and a plumber to install a tie-in to their house's existing sewer system. Then, during all visits, delegate all diaper changes to the DW until she's ready to go back home.

This approach probably won't fly. :blush:

FIRE UP 10-03-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scenic route (Post 5936987)
For me, I'd hire an electrician to install 30 A service for the RV and a plumber to install a tie-in to their house's existing sewer system. Then, during all visits, delegate all diaper changes to the DW until she's ready to go back home.

This approach probably won't fly. :blush:

Not a bad thought but, you might be assuming that THE KIDS would OK this approach. Second, you're also assuming they have room for whatever kind of coach the OP ends up with. And third, it may, or may not be legal for folks using or "camping" in a driveway or even alongside the house. Lots of neighborhoods have CC&R's that prohibit this kind of activity.

Now, if the kids place is large enough for the OP to land their coach in the back yard, side yard or where ever and there's no restrictions, then maybe this might work. We do that with our kids. Both of them have accommodations for our RV WITH hookups! But, not everyone can do that.
Scott

House Husband 10-03-2021 03:24 PM

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Send Mama to live with the kids and you stay on your acreage.
You can go hunting, fishing, play pool, come home at any hour with no nagging.
Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard

ArtJoyce 10-03-2021 03:45 PM

We have kids living in NC, FL, KY, CA and OH. We visit them with the motor homes. Some of ythe kids when to spend a bunch of time with us and some just a day or so when we visit. I think is has some to do with the spouces. The MH works good, it allows for nice trips. Forth Worth there is a nice COE campground.

NLOVNIT 10-03-2021 03:59 PM

I'm with the others. You have a brand new RV. What's wrong with using it?. If you dump something that new for something else, you're gonna take a HUGE hit & what you buy is overpriced now. Unless where the D & SIL allows parking an RV on their property, find a nearby, nice CG that offers long term stays. You're trying to make a long-term decision on something that might be short-term.

TexasJeff 10-03-2021 04:21 PM

You guys are making a ton of good sense, but I'm not thinking of selling or trading my Class C. I already put a lot of money in to the solar and it's my baby for dry-camping and getting in to small parks. That said, I'm really appreciating all the well thought-out answers. And, no I'm not sending mama up by herself. I'd miss her too much. lol..

TexasJeff 10-03-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtJoyce (Post 5937133)
We have kids living in NC, FL, KY, CA and OH. We visit them with the motor homes. Some of ythe kids when to spend a bunch of time with us and some just a day or so when we visit. I think is has some to do with the spouces. The MH works good, it allows for nice trips. Forth Worth there is a nice COE campground.

I hadn't done a whole lot of investigating yet where to stay. Do you have any recommendations? Appreciate the suggestion!

lenny-shawna 10-03-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Husband (Post 5937095)

Richard

Best answer by far! I'm still smiling at that one.

R.Wold 10-03-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny-shawna (Post 5937390)
Best answer by far! I'm still smiling at that one.

The DW might not think so....:blink:

lenny-shawna 10-03-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.Wold (Post 5937496)
The DW might not think so....:blink:

Maybe not, but funny nonetheless

TurtleKent 10-03-2021 09:03 PM

Your kids might not relish the idea of you owning a condo near them. Your perception of how much they want you in their lives is NOT the same as their perception. A motorhome is much less threatening to them. Stick with the wheels for awhile, and see how you fit into THEIR new family... they'll appreciate you more. My 2¢.

wog099 10-03-2021 09:58 PM

You may want to consider being patient and not doing anything permanent yet. Like someone suggested, either use your current RV for a trip up there or rent an apartment for a while. After a couple trips up there you will be able to settle your "new grandbaby anxiety" down some and sensibly figure out what you want to do.
Congratulations,

IND2SLC 10-03-2021 11:20 PM

Like Richard Pryor once said, "vote 'none of the above'". Remember when you were a first-time parent, and do for them what you wished your own parents would have done for you, or didn't do. Buying a condo is $$ and also a bit "permanent" and it might not be fully welcome. Congrats, btw!

caryt 10-04-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Richard

THIS!:bow:

TexasJeff 10-04-2021 07:45 AM

Very good, guys! Thanks for your shared experiences and it's giving us food for thought. We discussed it again yesterday and are going with the majority here to take a wait and see approach.

mr.tommy 10-04-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeff (Post 5937918)
Very good, guys! Thanks for your shared experiences and it's giving us food for thought. We discussed it again yesterday and are going with the majority here to take a wait and see approach.

That's SMART :thumb:
Buying a house or a condo wouldn't even enter my mind as an option. Even renting an apartment would be way, way down the list because you can't rent an apartment without at least a 6 month or a years contract. NO WAY Jose.

I predict that 6 months—at the most—after the baby arrives, the honeymoon with the grand child will be over and the kids will be ready for you to leave.

People NEED their own space
Family is ok.....but in very small doses
Distance makes the heart grow fonder

arcaguy 10-04-2021 08:27 AM

As much as I love my grandkids in 11 or 12 years they will have their own busy lives and won't have a lot of time for the old folks in their life. It's a fact of life we have to live with. Be there for them if they need/want you but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money for anything any where near permanent. I think you may be much further ahead spending the money yoiu might spend on a condo or class A for a week in Disney World or some such activity where the grand kids will remember it forever. Good luck and it seems like you're on the right path with the wait and see attitude. BTW a relatively long Air BNB might be an answer for a more that a week's stay.

RightUR 10-04-2021 11:18 AM

Well we don't like being tied down. So if my son had a baby, I wouldn't have a problem visiting him with the MoHo. But I know a thing or 2 about Murphy's law. So I thank God for Blessing us with a MoHo which I would use to take that lil booger around America. Eventually my son would want 3 weeks to a month of "Alone time" with the wife, and I bet I know who'd he come to (Daddy? can you take care of lil johnny?). So I'd do what my Gran parents did: Git on the bus and go to Disney world, Gran canyon and so on y'all know the deal.
Buying a condo? nah: mortgage, property taxes, HOA fee's and so on. At least with the Moho, I can take my "Home" down the road and have fun. But that's JMHO. To each their own.

Roadgypsy 10-07-2021 03:14 PM

Our two cents: we also have kids in multiple states and one on a Naval ship (can't go and visit with him yet). We have rural acreage and home bought and paid for and aren't planning to sell. We hate flying-such a huge expense and hassle (just did it last July for a reunion). So, our answer was to get RVs and enjoy the road trip. We were facing a practically coast to coast journey depending on the kid. We started with a 24' Class-C, now have a Class A, all which were older coaches, bought and paid for. We hate debt, can fix just about any machinery, so I think you and the wife need to find that combination that appeals to your lifestyle, you're economics, and comfort level. You won't know some of these until you experience them. No matter which way you go, concessions will have to be made.
Congrats on becoming grandparents!!! We have seven grandkids and love the experience!

Bytesponge 10-07-2021 03:25 PM

Class A MH

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeff (Post 5936853)

The problem:
It's not much of a "problem" per-se, because we're about to become first-time grandparents. But our son-in-law also accepted a really fine job offer about 5 hours away so, they bought their first home in Fort Worth and next weekend is their move date.

Now, mama wants to be near her baby girl when our grandson arrives. And we ain't going to give up our acreage to go chasing anyone around the country. So I need some kind of solution and here's where me thinking usually gets me in trouble. So here goes: 1) Buy a condo within driving distance - Cost will probably be $200-300k. Or, 2) Buy a 40' Class A motorhome but keep the cost under $100k.

I'm going back and forth. 1) The condo might be easier to eventually sell someday when we no longer need it. Who knows.. the kids might move again. 2) By buying a land-yacht, we not only can stash it in Fort Worth as a place to stay, invest less money up-front, and use it for glamorous trips to FL resorts.

So, can the more sane minds here please rationalize what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Also, if you're of the "Buy the motorhome!" crowd, would you mind also chiming in on your recommendations? It would need to be about 40', in the $50-100k price range, and diesel.

I would buy a gas Class A. Diesels don't like sitting for too long.
I am selling my 30 foot Class A as we speak. It is listed on RV Trader for 74,500. It is a 2017 Coachmen Pursuit if you are interested. We have acquired a plethora of cats recently and can no longer travel. We have momma cat and four kittens 12 weeks old and a Shithtzu. Too many litter boxes in a MH.
Good luck finding what you want.

drmack911 10-07-2021 03:49 PM

1. Sell the new class C.
2. Buy a used class A.
3. Visit the kids.
4. Realize that visiting the kids should not be more than 3 days.
5. Go home to paradise and sell the class A.
6. Buy a new class C and realize that life is great as-is.

Wife and I are both widowed, now married 15 years. Two daughters, one from each previous marriages, two grandkids. Used to travel in our own airplane but I lost my medical certificate so we sold the plane and bought a class C Winnebago View and haven't looked back.

We see the grandkids in person about once per month for a couple of days. That's plenty. They're busy with school and both parents work. Wife and I have margarita machine will travel. Our favorite spots right now are Texas State Parks.

picker 10-07-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

The problem:

Stay in their spare bedroom.

Why the big fuss ?

NorCal Hal 10-07-2021 03:57 PM

I have never owned a vehicle that increased in value nor a property that went down and since buying real estate allowed me to retire at age 50 it's a no-brainer for me!

B RAD 10-07-2021 04:12 PM

They will only be 5 hrs away, plenty close for a occasional week end visit by car, MH, RV park, motel or guest room.

Westonbum 10-07-2021 04:29 PM

First of all, you will never, ever, ever find a 40' class A diesel for 50-100K. Unless of course it is a fixer upper.

We have loved living close to our grandkids until our daughter was transferred out of state. We miss our kids and grandkids, but buying a plane ticket periodically makes the visits much more enjoyable.

Country Road 10-07-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 5941848)
I have never owned a vehicle that increased in value nor a property that went down and since buying real estate allowed me to retire at age 50 it's a no-brainer for me!

I agree on the vehicle part except for the last year or so including now. What a time to sell vehicles, but I know it’s not the case normally.

F4Gary 10-07-2021 05:40 PM

There ain't a whole lot of places to park a motorhome here in N. Tejas.
Don't know what suburb the will live in, but I'm sure Code Enforcement would have something to say about parking long term in their driveway.

Secondly...let your kids live their own lives without you guys "always" there.
I would hate that. Find a place to stay temporarily when the kid shows up and then visit often but go home.

You aren't that far from them.

alton 10-07-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

The problem:

You can get a nice used class a gas for around 100,000 used. I prefer a couple year old one.. That way someone else has fought the battle that you have with new.

MW22r 10-07-2021 06:03 PM

:)5 hr. drive to see your grandkids? Now that is a problem many of us would like to have.

Mr.Mark 10-07-2021 07:09 PM

I agree with a lot of the posts here.

Bottom line, don't put the cart before the horse! Just see how the cards fall.

Safe travels and congrats on the grandchild!
Mark

ArtJoyce 10-07-2021 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=TexasJeff;5937215]I hadn't done a whole lot of investigating yet where to stay. Do you have any recommendations? Appreciate the suggestion![/QUOTE

Sorry for the late response we are on the road. When we were staying in ft worth we stayed at North Holiday Park. It's a COE lake. If you are a senior you and buy a lifetime pass from the national parks. It will get you a 50% discount.

SantinoDad 10-07-2021 09:43 PM

Buy both! Maybe a Class C?

RightUR 10-08-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westonbum (Post 5941898)
First of all, you will never, ever, ever find a 40' class A diesel for 50-100K. Unless of course it is a fixer upper.

We have loved living close to our grandkids until our daughter was transferred out of state. We miss our kids and grandkids, but buying a plane ticket periodically makes the visits much more enjoyable.

Hmmm. There are over 300 40' diesels on RV trader for under 100K. ck it out.

Ryancasey 10-08-2021 04:08 AM

U won't find a 40' diesel for that kind of money unless it's 20 years old.

frizfreleng 10-08-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Richard

That is the most reasonable suggestion I have read or probably will read in this post.

roadrunner 2 10-08-2021 08:09 AM

We moved out of calif for our sanity. The Grandkids live there so we bought a 38 ft Rv. Now we rent a space at the RV park 10 min from their house. The kids come to the RV park and think Were the greatest thing since cartoons. We bought a big enough rV so they can stay. Worked out awesome. The rest of the time we use it for US. Good luck. I'm not sure I would buy a condo with the coming collapse of the housing market.

DuluthFisher 10-08-2021 08:42 AM

First off, buy used and save your money. Second, buy a fifth wheel so you don't have to buy another vehicle to tow behind your coach just to get around town. A nice fifth wheel and appropriate used pickup will be less money than a Class A, or even a Class C.

You'll have flexibility, potentially even more living space than a Class A, much less depreciation, lower insurance costs, lower maintenance & service costs, and you'll be able to use that pickup for other fun projects.

My wife and I picked up a 2010 fifth wheel in February of 2020--it's been fun, has surprising space (it's only a 27'!) that accommodates four adults nicely. Or it could handle two adults & four kids. The pickup I bought to tow it has come in handy on yard & driveway projects I had planned on contracting out--hauling a dump trailer to move LOTS of Class 5 gravel, hauling a rental skid steer that was loads of fun to use to move & spread all that gravel, not to mention clear more yard space in the woods. It gets 29 mpg (it's a diesel) on long empty hauls on the flat, gets 13.2 mpg with the fifth wheel behind it, and 12 mpg double-towing our fifth wheel AND our 26' boat trailer at the same time. It's a 2016 Chevy HD diesel 3/4-ton that had only 40K miles on it, and was a Chevrolet Certified Truck (meaning all its service had been performed at Chevy dealerships using the right parts & fluids), which gave it an extra year of bumper-to-bumper warranty. And since the pandemic hit, it's worth more now than when I bought it less than two years ago.

If you're handy, if you know what you're doing, a used truck & a used camper are smart ways to conserve your funds. But if you must have the latest & greatest, the newest, and must keep up with the Joneses, well, you and your money are soon parted.

Take a look at most any RV forum on Facebook and see how brand new rigs, from tiny tear drops to the biggest Class A's, are arriving in their buyers' hands with serious factory defects. There are too many stories of people buying a new RV and immediately turning around and leaving it in the dealer's service shop or parking lot for eight months--or longer--as manufacturers delay authorizing warranty repairs, or as parts don't come in.

Buy a good used truck & fifth wheel, have fun, see the grand kids, get around, save your money for taking those little ones on camping trips where you can share s'mores around the campfire with them instead of staring at loan bills for a new Class A that will just depreciate. I've had three offers for 50% more than I paid for our used fifth wheel--in part because new rigs are arriving with so many defects, in part because of the COVID-19 demand for campers, and in part because our fifth wheel is short--it allows double-towing within the law so easily.

TexasJeff 10-08-2021 11:04 AM

Thanks all. You are diverse in opinion, wise beyond years, and entertaining to read. Sharon and I sat down yesterday at lunch and we're of the opinion that we should take a wait and see approach. She's sad that we won't be the "go to" grandparents for babysitting, but we can't be sure that they're going to be settled yet in their central downtown Fort Worth home.

So, the suggestions that make the most sense are when our new grandbaby is big enough to play soccer, we'll do the 5 hour drive. Maybe we'll camp out in some of the parks that have been suggested and stay a day or two. But, we'll always come back home and maybe.. just maybe.. they'll get a lucrative job offer that brings them back to the Austin area.

We appreciate all the suggestions!

paulcu 10-08-2021 05:24 PM

I will offer a slightly different angle/opinion. I agree with the others that it wouldn't be worth buying a new RV, just for visiting the grandkids. I would use your current class C for a period of time to see how often you'll actually visit and how inconvenient a smaller RV would feel. If you find yourself there often enough and desiring more space when you are there, and it seems like the kids aren't planning to move anytime soon I would purchase a small house or condo before I would purchase a second RV (again if its sole purpose is to use in this location one for a long period of time.) My primary rational is that the RV will only depreciate while real estate will generally appreciate. If you find yourself in the same place 5 years from now, you'll probably be better off financially if you invest in real estate.

That begs lots of other questions such as how does the maintenance effort and cost of a permanent residence compare to the RV, utility costs of a home when you're not using it, etc. Also, what is the real estate market like in Fort Worth? How hard will it be to resell if the kids move? All of that needs to be evaluated, but it's worth considering how your investment could pay off 5 years from now. Also, could you Air B&B the house when you're not using it? Maybe this is way more than you're looking for. An RV would be much simpler. But something to think about.

F4Gary 10-08-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulcu (Post 5943025)
I will offer a slightly different angle/opinion. I agree with the others that it wouldn't be worth buying a new RV, just for visiting the grandkids. I would use your current class C for a period of time to see how often you'll actually visit and how inconvenient a smaller RV would feel. If you find yourself there often enough and desiring more space when you are there, and it seems like the kids aren't planning to move anytime soon I would purchase a small house or condo before I would purchase a second RV (again if its sole purpose is to use in this location one for a long period of time.) My primary rational is that the RV will only depreciate while real estate will generally appreciate. If you find yourself in the same place 5 years from now, you'll probably be better off financially if you invest in real estate.

That begs lots of other questions such as how does the maintenance effort and cost of a permanent residence compare to the RV, utility costs of a home when you're not using it, etc. Also, what is the real estate market like in Fort Worth? How hard will it be to resell if the kids move? All of that needs to be evaluated, but it's worth considering how your investment could pay off 5 years from now. Also, could you Air B&B the house when you're not using it? Maybe this is way more than you're looking for. An RV would be much simpler. But something to think about.

Might want to read the post directly above yours. :whistling:

Rev. Roy 10-08-2021 07:10 PM

5 hrs? Man I wish we were that close. Our daughter and family (only grandchild) currently live 1100 miles away or 16-17 hrs drive. North Dakota is not the place to be in a RV at Christmas time so we stay with them. After Christmas, they're moving to the Houston area which will be 1,326 miles away or 20+ hrs drive. While this is further away, there are a lot of reasonably priced RV parks close by. Of course a 20+ hr drive in a car translates to more like 24 in a RV. We're considering buying a condo and flying as opposed to driving but our grandson loves "campin with grandma and grandpa".

TexasJeff 10-09-2021 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. Roy (Post 5943130)
5 hrs? Man I wish we were that close. Our daughter and family (only grandchild) currently live 1100 miles away or 16-17 hrs drive. North Dakota is not the place to be in a RV at Christmas time so we stay with them. After Christmas, they're moving to the Houston area which will be 1,326 miles away or 20+ hrs drive. While this is further away, there are a lot of reasonably priced RV parks close by. Of course a 20+ hr drive in a car translates to more like 24 in a RV. We're considering buying a condo and flying as opposed to driving but our grandson loves "campin with grandma and grandpa".

Oooh.. Houston. I hope they're outside that beltway. Anything inside Beltway 8 might as well be considered a parking lot. If they are, make that 24+ hr RV commute at least 30 hrs. Now, if they're north of 99, that's some nice area there. Esp the forests - that's campin'!

UTTransplant 10-09-2021 07:03 AM

I would definitely not invest in a condo until you are completely sure that DD and SIL are comfortable with lots and lots of grandparent time. Some people are, and some aren’t. My mom drove me nuts with her “You should do it this way” and “Do this instead” comments which were continuous and drove me nutty. We moved 12 hours away, saw her a couple of times a year, and I kept my sanity. If we had stayed close by the relationship would have deteriorated quickly. Not saying you and your wife are the type, but the only thing that really matters here is DD’s and SIL’s perspective.

partygrrl 10-09-2021 11:24 AM

Give them their space!

My mom came and stayed while I was in the hospital with our baby, she cleaned the house and did grocery shopping so the house was stocked with easy to prepare meals. She stayed for less than an hour after we got home from the hospital and said it was our time to relax and be a family. Best thing she could have possibly done! I would have NEVER wanted the stress and burden of having my mom there while I was recovering, trying to figure out breastfeeding and trying to get sleep whenever I could. Give them space and wait until you're invited. And don't overstay your welcome! A day or 2 at a time is plenty, any more is disrupting and intrusive. More frequent, shorter visits are better. But let me repeat, wait until you are invited! It places another burden on them if you (or her mom) are constantly asking when you can come visit and they don't have a good way to say no.

TexasJeff 10-10-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygrrl (Post 5943761)
My mom came and stayed while I was in the hospital with our baby, she cleaned the house and did grocery shopping so the house was stocked with easy to prepare meals. She stayed for less than an hour after we got home from the hospital and said it was our time to relax and be a family. Best thing she could have possibly done! I would have NEVER wanted the stress and burden of having my mom there while I was recovering, trying to figure out breastfeeding and trying to get sleep whenever I could. Give them space and wait until you're invited. And don't overstay your welcome! A day or 2 at a time is plenty, any more is disrupting and intrusive. More frequent, shorter visits are better. But let me repeat, wait until you are invited! It places another burden on them if you (or her mom) are constantly asking when you can come visit and they don't have a good way to say no.

You are words of wisdom, PartyGrrl. While they're figuring out how to become parents, we're figuring out how to become grandparents. :o

partygrrl 10-10-2021 11:39 PM

You got this, TexasJeff!

TexasJeff, thanks for the kind words. You got this! Every family situation is different, but I think you will do well by your daughter and her new family if you give them some space. And since my last response didn't exactly address your original question, I wanted to say I really support your "wait and see" idea. I know hotels aren't always the best, but there are also short-term vacation rentals and Airb and b's. You could spend A LOT of nights in something like that before you spend anywhere remotely close to the amount of money you're talking about. I always asked my mom to stay with us when she came to visit and she always stayed in a hotel or somewhere so I didn't have to worry about what I was wearing when I got up in the middle of the night and so we could all get up and drink our coffee and do our morning routine without feeling like we were disturbing anyone. I thought it was interesting (and shocking) that when we were working with a realtor to buy our house she said that the average family stays someplace less than 2 years before they move, so don't rush into anything. 5 hours isn't really that far away in the grand scheme of things, and after they have a few months of adjusting to their new family situation I am sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to be with them without adding to the stress of having a newborn. :thumb:

wannaclassc 10-11-2021 12:09 PM

buy generic condo put it in airbnb as a rental. use it as needed. condos don't depreciate.

dfuelman 10-11-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygrrl (Post 5943761)

My Mother always said "They have NEVER built a home big enough for TWO women to live in". I think your Mom would agree. I know when our first was born, this is how my wife wanted it to be. Close enough when needed but not right on top of her.

RightUR 10-13-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryancasey (Post 5942258)
U won't find a 40' diesel for that kind of money unless it's 20 years old.

Wrong again. Ck out RV trader some are from 2007 one was from 2010.

lenny-shawna 10-13-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Well said!

petewolff 10-13-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Richard

100 % correct

RightUR 10-15-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

So where were you during the great Recession? When housing values plummeted? I know because I bought 4 of them at 1/2 price.

lenny-shawna 10-15-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951078)
So where were you during the great Recession? When housing values plummeted? I know because I bought 4 of them at 1/2 price.

Money isn't lost or made until you sell. If he bought prior to the recession but did not sell than all is good. I also bought during that time and did not sell.

GWBGE 10-15-2021 08:17 PM

If that's the only reason you want a MH, buy the condo. Also, at 50 to 100 for a 40', you are likely buying a 10 to 15 year old coach with all the associated repair and maintenance costs.

RightUR 10-16-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny-shawna (Post 5951377)
Money isn't lost or made until you sell. If he bought prior to the recession but did not sell than all is good. I also bought during that time and did not sell.

LOL. I sold.....And bought a MoHo. And put the rest in Mutual funds. God is good.

NorCal Hal 10-16-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951078)

It depend on which "great recession" you are referring. In the true "great depression" of 1929-39 I wasn't yet born. In the 1970-80' Carter days of double digit inflation and gas lines around the block I was working full time and buying a new rental house every year.

By the the late 80's we had fourteen properties of our own, two in a limited partnership we formed with another couple and two properties we managed for owners out of the area - in addition to both having full time jobs. In the 90's we exchanged 13 of our properties for a 148 unit, 24 acres, 39 building apartment complex.

In the 2000s we sold the apartments and retired, just as the democrat Community Reinvestment Act was forcing lenders to make unbacked, unwise, mortgages to NINGA borrowers (No Income No job, no Assets) which resulted in massive defaults and repossessions and the latest market depression.

Firefly 2 10-16-2021 12:41 PM

Why not look in to a large 5 th wheel and park in a CG near them. Why pay for an engine you are not going to use!

lenny-shawna 10-16-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951707)
LOL. I sold.....And bought a MoHo. And put the rest in Mutual funds. God is good.

Awesome and yes!

RightUR 10-16-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 5951999)
It depend on which "great recession" you are referring. In the true "great depression" of 1929-39 I wasn't yet born. In the 1970-80' Carter days of double digit inflation and gas lines around the block I was working full time and buying a new rental house every year.

By the the late 80's we had fourteen properties of our own, two in a limited partnership we formed with another couple and two properties we managed for owners out of the area - in addition to both having full time jobs. In the 90's we exchanged 13 of our properties for a 148 unit, 24 acres, 39 building apartment complex.

In the 2000s we sold the apartments and retired, just as the democrat Community Reinvestment Act was forcing lenders to make unbacked, unwise, mortgages to NINGA borrowers (No Income No job, no Assets) which resulted in massive defaults and repossessions and the latest market depression.

So do you really think I misspoke and called the great depression the great recession?
It's great that you had Partners and others to RELY on for your fortunes. I kept it simple: just me. I put my 30 yrs into the system and retired at 45 and was able to participate FULL time in Raising my child and didn't miss one game of his. I spent lots of time with my child in his most important formative yrs, not many can boast that. To me that's priceless.
So we can go on with this P---- measuring contest, or just accept that it's not always wise to make blanket statements. Sometimes real estate DOES depreciate.

Mr.Mark 10-17-2021 05:58 AM

RightUR is correct about not all houses appreciate. It depends on a lot of factors.

My Uncle bought a small home (3 BR, 1BA, single carport, fenced yard, etc.) in 1987 for $68,000. He lived in it for 25 yrs. and passed at the age of 85 yrs. old.

As Executor of his Estate, I sold his home 7 years after his death in 2019 for $50,000. The neighborhood changed over the years and the house was just maintained, not renovated/remodeled over the years. The purchaser bought it for a rental.

Safe travels,
Mark

bneiva 10-17-2021 06:21 AM

it's time to take a survey on how many people read the full post!!

Folks, if you haven't been paying attention the grandchild being referenced had yet to be born when this post was started. It was a girl by-the-way and she is about to graduate from college. Jeff and Sharon are very proud of the way things turned out.... :):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just having fun while I enjoy my morning coffee....

F4Gary 10-17-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5952606)
it's time to take a survey on how many people read the full post!!

Folks, if you haven't been paying attention the grandchild being referenced had yet to be born when this post was started. It was a girl by-the-way and she is about to graduate from college. Jeff and Sharon are very proud of the way things turned out.... :):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just having fun while I enjoy my morning coffee....

:rofl::bow::thumb:

They certainly didn't read post #21.:nonono:

TexasJeff 10-17-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F4Gary (Post 5952727)
:rofl::bow::thumb:

They certainly didn't read post #21.:nonono:

LOL.. it's all good. And, in the short term, RE can go down like anything else. It's the folks that can't wait a spell for things to come out of the downturn that end up losing some cash. And that's a bad thing.

On the good side of the ledger, our "still in the oven" grandson, Jack Thomas Marshall, is in the near 100th percentile in size, heads down, and ready for his grand entrance - due date Nov 11th! :thumb:

bneiva 10-17-2021 09:36 AM

DANG! I took a gamble and lost - AGAIN! :blush:

Congrats there, Grand Dad!

Bill
03 American Tradition

RightUR 10-17-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeff (Post 5952797)
LOL.. it's all good. And, in the short term, RE can go down like anything else. It's the folks that can't wait a spell for things to come out of the downturn that end up losing some cash. And that's a bad thing.

On the good side of the ledger, our "still in the oven" grandson, Jack Thomas Marshall, is in the near 100th percentile in size, heads down, and ready for his grand entrance - due date Nov 11th! :thumb:

well, I guess it's safe to say that most if not all here, at least from my perspective, wish you the best...for you and your loved ones. What ever you choose, If you LIKE it I LOVE.

TexasJeff 10-18-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5952812)
DANG! I took a gamble and lost - AGAIN! :blush:

Congrats there, Grand Dad!

Bill
03 American Tradition

Ha... I was envisioning you starting an old fashioned western saloon bar fight.
:D

Thanks Bill!

bneiva 10-18-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeff (Post 5954016)
Ha... I was envisioning you starting an old fashioned western saloon bar fight.
:D

Thanks Bill!

NOT EVEN, Jeff! Why just last week I was about to get into a real rough and tumble but my wife jumped in and asked our 12 year old paper girl to back down! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ah, life is good!