iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/thought-id-throw-this-out-there-for-general-discussion-556427.html)

DuluthFisher 10-08-2021 08:42 AM

First off, buy used and save your money. Second, buy a fifth wheel so you don't have to buy another vehicle to tow behind your coach just to get around town. A nice fifth wheel and appropriate used pickup will be less money than a Class A, or even a Class C.

You'll have flexibility, potentially even more living space than a Class A, much less depreciation, lower insurance costs, lower maintenance & service costs, and you'll be able to use that pickup for other fun projects.

My wife and I picked up a 2010 fifth wheel in February of 2020--it's been fun, has surprising space (it's only a 27'!) that accommodates four adults nicely. Or it could handle two adults & four kids. The pickup I bought to tow it has come in handy on yard & driveway projects I had planned on contracting out--hauling a dump trailer to move LOTS of Class 5 gravel, hauling a rental skid steer that was loads of fun to use to move & spread all that gravel, not to mention clear more yard space in the woods. It gets 29 mpg (it's a diesel) on long empty hauls on the flat, gets 13.2 mpg with the fifth wheel behind it, and 12 mpg double-towing our fifth wheel AND our 26' boat trailer at the same time. It's a 2016 Chevy HD diesel 3/4-ton that had only 40K miles on it, and was a Chevrolet Certified Truck (meaning all its service had been performed at Chevy dealerships using the right parts & fluids), which gave it an extra year of bumper-to-bumper warranty. And since the pandemic hit, it's worth more now than when I bought it less than two years ago.

If you're handy, if you know what you're doing, a used truck & a used camper are smart ways to conserve your funds. But if you must have the latest & greatest, the newest, and must keep up with the Joneses, well, you and your money are soon parted.

Take a look at most any RV forum on Facebook and see how brand new rigs, from tiny tear drops to the biggest Class A's, are arriving in their buyers' hands with serious factory defects. There are too many stories of people buying a new RV and immediately turning around and leaving it in the dealer's service shop or parking lot for eight months--or longer--as manufacturers delay authorizing warranty repairs, or as parts don't come in.

Buy a good used truck & fifth wheel, have fun, see the grand kids, get around, save your money for taking those little ones on camping trips where you can share s'mores around the campfire with them instead of staring at loan bills for a new Class A that will just depreciate. I've had three offers for 50% more than I paid for our used fifth wheel--in part because new rigs are arriving with so many defects, in part because of the COVID-19 demand for campers, and in part because our fifth wheel is short--it allows double-towing within the law so easily.

TexasJeff 10-08-2021 11:04 AM

Thanks all. You are diverse in opinion, wise beyond years, and entertaining to read. Sharon and I sat down yesterday at lunch and we're of the opinion that we should take a wait and see approach. She's sad that we won't be the "go to" grandparents for babysitting, but we can't be sure that they're going to be settled yet in their central downtown Fort Worth home.

So, the suggestions that make the most sense are when our new grandbaby is big enough to play soccer, we'll do the 5 hour drive. Maybe we'll camp out in some of the parks that have been suggested and stay a day or two. But, we'll always come back home and maybe.. just maybe.. they'll get a lucrative job offer that brings them back to the Austin area.

We appreciate all the suggestions!

paulcu 10-08-2021 05:24 PM

I will offer a slightly different angle/opinion. I agree with the others that it wouldn't be worth buying a new RV, just for visiting the grandkids. I would use your current class C for a period of time to see how often you'll actually visit and how inconvenient a smaller RV would feel. If you find yourself there often enough and desiring more space when you are there, and it seems like the kids aren't planning to move anytime soon I would purchase a small house or condo before I would purchase a second RV (again if its sole purpose is to use in this location one for a long period of time.) My primary rational is that the RV will only depreciate while real estate will generally appreciate. If you find yourself in the same place 5 years from now, you'll probably be better off financially if you invest in real estate.

That begs lots of other questions such as how does the maintenance effort and cost of a permanent residence compare to the RV, utility costs of a home when you're not using it, etc. Also, what is the real estate market like in Fort Worth? How hard will it be to resell if the kids move? All of that needs to be evaluated, but it's worth considering how your investment could pay off 5 years from now. Also, could you Air B&B the house when you're not using it? Maybe this is way more than you're looking for. An RV would be much simpler. But something to think about.

F4Gary 10-08-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulcu (Post 5943025)
I will offer a slightly different angle/opinion. I agree with the others that it wouldn't be worth buying a new RV, just for visiting the grandkids. I would use your current class C for a period of time to see how often you'll actually visit and how inconvenient a smaller RV would feel. If you find yourself there often enough and desiring more space when you are there, and it seems like the kids aren't planning to move anytime soon I would purchase a small house or condo before I would purchase a second RV (again if its sole purpose is to use in this location one for a long period of time.) My primary rational is that the RV will only depreciate while real estate will generally appreciate. If you find yourself in the same place 5 years from now, you'll probably be better off financially if you invest in real estate.

That begs lots of other questions such as how does the maintenance effort and cost of a permanent residence compare to the RV, utility costs of a home when you're not using it, etc. Also, what is the real estate market like in Fort Worth? How hard will it be to resell if the kids move? All of that needs to be evaluated, but it's worth considering how your investment could pay off 5 years from now. Also, could you Air B&B the house when you're not using it? Maybe this is way more than you're looking for. An RV would be much simpler. But something to think about.

Might want to read the post directly above yours. :whistling:

Rev. Roy 10-08-2021 07:10 PM

5 hrs? Man I wish we were that close. Our daughter and family (only grandchild) currently live 1100 miles away or 16-17 hrs drive. North Dakota is not the place to be in a RV at Christmas time so we stay with them. After Christmas, they're moving to the Houston area which will be 1,326 miles away or 20+ hrs drive. While this is further away, there are a lot of reasonably priced RV parks close by. Of course a 20+ hr drive in a car translates to more like 24 in a RV. We're considering buying a condo and flying as opposed to driving but our grandson loves "campin with grandma and grandpa".

TexasJeff 10-09-2021 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. Roy (Post 5943130)
5 hrs? Man I wish we were that close. Our daughter and family (only grandchild) currently live 1100 miles away or 16-17 hrs drive. North Dakota is not the place to be in a RV at Christmas time so we stay with them. After Christmas, they're moving to the Houston area which will be 1,326 miles away or 20+ hrs drive. While this is further away, there are a lot of reasonably priced RV parks close by. Of course a 20+ hr drive in a car translates to more like 24 in a RV. We're considering buying a condo and flying as opposed to driving but our grandson loves "campin with grandma and grandpa".

Oooh.. Houston. I hope they're outside that beltway. Anything inside Beltway 8 might as well be considered a parking lot. If they are, make that 24+ hr RV commute at least 30 hrs. Now, if they're north of 99, that's some nice area there. Esp the forests - that's campin'!

UTTransplant 10-09-2021 07:03 AM

I would definitely not invest in a condo until you are completely sure that DD and SIL are comfortable with lots and lots of grandparent time. Some people are, and some aren’t. My mom drove me nuts with her “You should do it this way” and “Do this instead” comments which were continuous and drove me nutty. We moved 12 hours away, saw her a couple of times a year, and I kept my sanity. If we had stayed close by the relationship would have deteriorated quickly. Not saying you and your wife are the type, but the only thing that really matters here is DD’s and SIL’s perspective.

partygrrl 10-09-2021 11:24 AM

Give them their space!

My mom came and stayed while I was in the hospital with our baby, she cleaned the house and did grocery shopping so the house was stocked with easy to prepare meals. She stayed for less than an hour after we got home from the hospital and said it was our time to relax and be a family. Best thing she could have possibly done! I would have NEVER wanted the stress and burden of having my mom there while I was recovering, trying to figure out breastfeeding and trying to get sleep whenever I could. Give them space and wait until you're invited. And don't overstay your welcome! A day or 2 at a time is plenty, any more is disrupting and intrusive. More frequent, shorter visits are better. But let me repeat, wait until you are invited! It places another burden on them if you (or her mom) are constantly asking when you can come visit and they don't have a good way to say no.

TexasJeff 10-10-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygrrl (Post 5943761)
My mom came and stayed while I was in the hospital with our baby, she cleaned the house and did grocery shopping so the house was stocked with easy to prepare meals. She stayed for less than an hour after we got home from the hospital and said it was our time to relax and be a family. Best thing she could have possibly done! I would have NEVER wanted the stress and burden of having my mom there while I was recovering, trying to figure out breastfeeding and trying to get sleep whenever I could. Give them space and wait until you're invited. And don't overstay your welcome! A day or 2 at a time is plenty, any more is disrupting and intrusive. More frequent, shorter visits are better. But let me repeat, wait until you are invited! It places another burden on them if you (or her mom) are constantly asking when you can come visit and they don't have a good way to say no.

You are words of wisdom, PartyGrrl. While they're figuring out how to become parents, we're figuring out how to become grandparents. :o

partygrrl 10-10-2021 11:39 PM

You got this, TexasJeff!

TexasJeff, thanks for the kind words. You got this! Every family situation is different, but I think you will do well by your daughter and her new family if you give them some space. And since my last response didn't exactly address your original question, I wanted to say I really support your "wait and see" idea. I know hotels aren't always the best, but there are also short-term vacation rentals and Airb and b's. You could spend A LOT of nights in something like that before you spend anywhere remotely close to the amount of money you're talking about. I always asked my mom to stay with us when she came to visit and she always stayed in a hotel or somewhere so I didn't have to worry about what I was wearing when I got up in the middle of the night and so we could all get up and drink our coffee and do our morning routine without feeling like we were disturbing anyone. I thought it was interesting (and shocking) that when we were working with a realtor to buy our house she said that the average family stays someplace less than 2 years before they move, so don't rush into anything. 5 hours isn't really that far away in the grand scheme of things, and after they have a few months of adjusting to their new family situation I am sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to be with them without adding to the stress of having a newborn. :thumb:

wannaclassc 10-11-2021 12:09 PM

buy generic condo put it in airbnb as a rental. use it as needed. condos don't depreciate.

dfuelman 10-11-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partygrrl (Post 5943761)

My Mother always said "They have NEVER built a home big enough for TWO women to live in". I think your Mom would agree. I know when our first was born, this is how my wife wanted it to be. Close enough when needed but not right on top of her.

RightUR 10-13-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryancasey (Post 5942258)
U won't find a 40' diesel for that kind of money unless it's 20 years old.

Wrong again. Ck out RV trader some are from 2007 one was from 2010.

lenny-shawna 10-13-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 5941848)
I have never owned a vehicle that increased in value nor a property that went down and since buying real estate allowed me to retire at age 50 it's a no-brainer for me!

Well said!