iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Thought I'd throw this out there for general discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/thought-id-throw-this-out-there-for-general-discussion-556427.html)

petewolff 10-13-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Husband (Post 5937095)
Seems like a no brainer to me.
Send Mama to live with the kids and you stay on your acreage.
You can go hunting, fishing, play pool, come home at any hour with no nagging.
Save big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Richard

100 % correct

RightUR 10-15-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 5941848)
I have never owned a vehicle that increased in value nor a property that went down and since buying real estate allowed me to retire at age 50 it's a no-brainer for me!

So where were you during the great Recession? When housing values plummeted? I know because I bought 4 of them at 1/2 price.

lenny-shawna 10-15-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951078)
So where were you during the great Recession? When housing values plummeted? I know because I bought 4 of them at 1/2 price.

Money isn't lost or made until you sell. If he bought prior to the recession but did not sell than all is good. I also bought during that time and did not sell.

GWBGE 10-15-2021 08:17 PM

If that's the only reason you want a MH, buy the condo. Also, at 50 to 100 for a 40', you are likely buying a 10 to 15 year old coach with all the associated repair and maintenance costs.

RightUR 10-16-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny-shawna (Post 5951377)
Money isn't lost or made until you sell. If he bought prior to the recession but did not sell than all is good. I also bought during that time and did not sell.

LOL. I sold.....And bought a MoHo. And put the rest in Mutual funds. God is good.

NorCal Hal 10-16-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951078)

It depend on which "great recession" you are referring. In the true "great depression" of 1929-39 I wasn't yet born. In the 1970-80' Carter days of double digit inflation and gas lines around the block I was working full time and buying a new rental house every year.

By the the late 80's we had fourteen properties of our own, two in a limited partnership we formed with another couple and two properties we managed for owners out of the area - in addition to both having full time jobs. In the 90's we exchanged 13 of our properties for a 148 unit, 24 acres, 39 building apartment complex.

In the 2000s we sold the apartments and retired, just as the democrat Community Reinvestment Act was forcing lenders to make unbacked, unwise, mortgages to NINGA borrowers (No Income No job, no Assets) which resulted in massive defaults and repossessions and the latest market depression.

Firefly 2 10-16-2021 12:41 PM

Why not look in to a large 5 th wheel and park in a CG near them. Why pay for an engine you are not going to use!

lenny-shawna 10-16-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5951707)
LOL. I sold.....And bought a MoHo. And put the rest in Mutual funds. God is good.

Awesome and yes!

RightUR 10-16-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Hal (Post 5951999)
It depend on which "great recession" you are referring. In the true "great depression" of 1929-39 I wasn't yet born. In the 1970-80' Carter days of double digit inflation and gas lines around the block I was working full time and buying a new rental house every year.

By the the late 80's we had fourteen properties of our own, two in a limited partnership we formed with another couple and two properties we managed for owners out of the area - in addition to both having full time jobs. In the 90's we exchanged 13 of our properties for a 148 unit, 24 acres, 39 building apartment complex.

In the 2000s we sold the apartments and retired, just as the democrat Community Reinvestment Act was forcing lenders to make unbacked, unwise, mortgages to NINGA borrowers (No Income No job, no Assets) which resulted in massive defaults and repossessions and the latest market depression.

So do you really think I misspoke and called the great depression the great recession?
It's great that you had Partners and others to RELY on for your fortunes. I kept it simple: just me. I put my 30 yrs into the system and retired at 45 and was able to participate FULL time in Raising my child and didn't miss one game of his. I spent lots of time with my child in his most important formative yrs, not many can boast that. To me that's priceless.
So we can go on with this P---- measuring contest, or just accept that it's not always wise to make blanket statements. Sometimes real estate DOES depreciate.

Mr.Mark 10-17-2021 05:58 AM

RightUR is correct about not all houses appreciate. It depends on a lot of factors.

My Uncle bought a small home (3 BR, 1BA, single carport, fenced yard, etc.) in 1987 for $68,000. He lived in it for 25 yrs. and passed at the age of 85 yrs. old.

As Executor of his Estate, I sold his home 7 years after his death in 2019 for $50,000. The neighborhood changed over the years and the house was just maintained, not renovated/remodeled over the years. The purchaser bought it for a rental.

Safe travels,
Mark

bneiva 10-17-2021 06:21 AM

it's time to take a survey on how many people read the full post!!

Folks, if you haven't been paying attention the grandchild being referenced had yet to be born when this post was started. It was a girl by-the-way and she is about to graduate from college. Jeff and Sharon are very proud of the way things turned out.... :):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just having fun while I enjoy my morning coffee....

F4Gary 10-17-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5952606)
it's time to take a survey on how many people read the full post!!

Folks, if you haven't been paying attention the grandchild being referenced had yet to be born when this post was started. It was a girl by-the-way and she is about to graduate from college. Jeff and Sharon are very proud of the way things turned out.... :):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just having fun while I enjoy my morning coffee....

:rofl::bow::thumb:

They certainly didn't read post #21.:nonono:

TexasJeff 10-17-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F4Gary (Post 5952727)
:rofl::bow::thumb:

They certainly didn't read post #21.:nonono:

LOL.. it's all good. And, in the short term, RE can go down like anything else. It's the folks that can't wait a spell for things to come out of the downturn that end up losing some cash. And that's a bad thing.

On the good side of the ledger, our "still in the oven" grandson, Jack Thomas Marshall, is in the near 100th percentile in size, heads down, and ready for his grand entrance - due date Nov 11th! :thumb:

bneiva 10-17-2021 09:36 AM

DANG! I took a gamble and lost - AGAIN! :blush:

Congrats there, Grand Dad!

Bill
03 American Tradition