iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Jack Pads? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/jack-pads-557083.html)

TerryandTed 10-08-2021 04:34 PM

Jack Pads?

We recently purchased a 2021 Essex. I am considering Jack Pads. However, I cannot seem to find pads that fit (HWH, 11.5" front and 12.5" rear). I am looking for feedback about the value of Jack Pads and a recommended place to buy them. Thanks

AveryF 10-08-2021 05:13 PM

You might want to check on the SnapPad website or give them a call at 866-923-9538.

RichdlP 10-08-2021 05:28 PM

Bigfoot Outrigger Pads

Dutch Star Don 10-08-2021 06:12 PM

I use the SnapPads on my my coach and like them. However, I don't think they offer one large enough for the rear of your coach.

Last time people were looking for different pads to use, it dawned on me that the roadside traffic cone rubber pads would be perfect. They're 20" in size and only $13.00 each. Here's a link......

https://trafficsafetyzone.com/produc...%7C%20%2412.95

96kpmjmm 10-08-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryandTed (Post 5942981)
We recently purchased a 2021 Essex. I am considering Jack Pads. However, I cannot seem to find pads that fit (HWH, 11.5" front and 12.5" rear). I am looking for feedback about the value of Jack Pads and a recommended place to buy them. Thanks

I recently called snappads they don't make them as of yet. I was told to try back around christmas time. The rear jacks are the problem.

danhannah 10-09-2021 12:11 AM

Traffic cone bases.

Brilliant!

Thank You

arlawbob 10-09-2021 06:27 AM

Jack Pads

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm (Post 5943245)
I recently called snappads they don't make them as of yet. I was told to try back around christmas time. The rear jacks are the problem.

The rear jacks are the problem because the rear feet are not a complete 360 deg circle. A section of the rear feet need clearance when they are retracted. Interesting to see if the snap pad folks can solve that problem.

lrwinddancer 10-09-2021 08:02 AM

I have a set on my 2020 DS 4081. The rear just barely clears the frame in the retracted position. I do have to say that at close to 55,000 pounds the pads help but do not completely prevent the coach from sinking in dirt or asphalt. I am getting ready to cut some lumber or ? to help when my coach is in her hanger.

lrwinddancer 10-09-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5943071)
I use the SnapPads on my my coach and like them. However, I don't think they offer one large enough for the rear of your coach.

Last time people were looking for different pads to use, it dawned on me that the roadside traffic cone rubber pads would be perfect. They're 20" in size and only $13.00 each. Here's a link......

Howdy Don, I just looked at these. With the middle hole you are losing a lot of support to help distribute the weight. How affective are these in real life?

96kpmjmm 10-09-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Am not sure I would be very comfortable adding something that is outside my coach that is not explicitly designed for my coach. God forbid it comes off damaging my truck, someone else vehicle or hitting someone. Am hoping snap pads will have something that fits my coach.

rfg9585 10-09-2021 09:34 AM

I have the BIGFOOT pads which can be purchased from their site bigfoot.com. You can pick the size you need.

TerryandTed 10-09-2021 09:44 AM

Thanks! That's what I've found but wasn't sure.

Dutch Star Don 10-09-2021 10:56 AM

I wasn't implying that you attach the traffic cone pads to the jacks. If you look for rubber pads that are RV specific, they cost a fortune. As to the hole in the center, I don't think that would be of any impact to the usefulness of the pad.

RichdlP 10-09-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5943733)
As to the hole in the center, I don't think that would be of any impact to the usefulness of the pad.

Hmmmm, I don’t know Don. I think that with a 7.5 inch diameter hole it may offer very little actual pad left for the jack foot to displace it’s weight on thus causing the pad to possibly warp when using on softer ground… but I am not an engineer sooooo…

hogdriver 10-09-2021 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought these at the Tampa RV show. Spendy, but indestructible. They hold my heavy RV easily. I store them in my battery bay. The hardest thing is remembering to pick them up when breaking camp.

https://www.rvstainless.com/JackPads/...9/Default.aspx

TerryandTed 10-09-2021 11:52 AM

That would be great. Thanks!

Dutch Star Don 10-09-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichdlP (Post 5943760)
Hmmmm, I don’t know Don. I think that with a 7.5 inch diameter hole it may offer very little actual pad left for the jack foot to displace it’s weight on thus causing the pad to possibly warp when using on softer ground… but I am not an engineer sooooo…

Pretty simple.....if you don't think they'll work for you, then use something else. I through out the idea as an option to the overpriced pads that often cost as much as $120 each, like the Big Foot Outrigger pads that you mentioned. That's almost $500 for pads!!!

My coach has SnapPads as they make them in my size. I don't put my pads down in areas that my OEM metal pads would sink, like a mud bog we once camped in. I just don't use my jacks in that situation, which has only occurred 2-3 times in 40 years. I have the SnapPads primarily for those campgrounds that require that you use a pad, especially on their asphalt. I'm lazy and refuse to haul, store and clean a bunch of wood or rubber pads, hence the permanently mounted SnapPads.

jrs 10-09-2021 12:44 PM

We full time (since Sept 2019) and have used pads less than 10 times. Have yet to utilize the fancy and heavy wooden ones I made. When I have used them, just plain large cutting boards from Walmart have worked. I keep them bunged together when not in use.
I fact, I've been thinking of getting rid of the wooden ones to save weight and space....

Doug427 10-09-2021 12:58 PM

Since my Mrs. has no interest in camping anywhere without full hookups, we rarely use the pads I made. I have stayed in a couple of places that required use of pads to protect their concrete or asphalt parking decks. For that I made up some 16" x 16" pads made of two pieces each of some cheap 5/8" plywood I had laying around.I screwed the two pieces of ply together to make them double thick for strength. Finished they're 16" x 16" by 1 1/4" thick. They're really not heavy at all and don't take up much space. I lay them flat on the floor of the slide out trays and you really don't even know they're there. I added some hooks and rope so that I can place them and remove them easily using the awning pull down rod. I had the rope, plywood and hooks laying around so the cost was zero dollars and zero cents. If you had to buy what you need to make them you'd have to work real hard to go over $50.

Dutch Star Don 10-09-2021 03:55 PM

Often those who say they don't take up much space have 43' or 45' coaches. On a 40' Dutch Star, (the only model currently made in the industry with a tag axle), we only have ONE pass through bay and one small 3/4 bay. Space becomes more precious. I didn't order mine with a pass thru slider, just to save some more space.

Dan-DS 10-11-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichdlP (Post 5943760)

They also make a 15.5 x 15.5 with a4.5 hole. https://trafficsafetyzone.com/produc...gaAjVWEALw_wcB

MingusPirate 10-14-2021 02:57 PM

We have 2 x 10 squares that we have glued together. Since Iam cripple I cannot extend the pads. We found the appropriate pile of blocks and set them under the Jack's. We attached a rope to each pile to remove the blocks.

BikesAndGuns 10-14-2021 03:07 PM

Weight

Quote:

Keep in mind that these each weigh 16 lbs. No wonder that they keep traffic cones in place, lol!

ChaplainEd 10-14-2021 03:10 PM

I went to Tractor Supplier and bought a small horse stall mat 3/4" thick. Cut my own pads. Work great!

samara1 10-14-2021 03:18 PM

Summit has a great pad must slide under jack I use on essex same co. That makes ss molding on side of coach

RonFrost 10-14-2021 03:18 PM

https://www.interstateplastics.com/J...text=JACK+PADS

These guys are pricey but you get what you pay for.

alan3209 10-14-2021 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bit the bullet and purchased the Bigfoot pads. I have a Monaco Dynasty 3 point system so I went with the 15”x15”x1.5” version. Total for 3 including freight and tax was about $150. Very well made, rope handle makes it easy to carry (12# each) and easy to retrieve using the awning hook. (The attached picture is in my driveway where I’m trying to spread out the load so as to not crack the concrete).

L Wagner 10-14-2021 03:46 PM

Snap Pads

I have a 2018 Dutchstar. Snap Pads told me that they do not make pads to fit due to clearance issues with the steerable tag. clearances to tight when turning.

Coffee Guy 10-14-2021 04:10 PM

The best way to get what you want is to go to Tractor Supply and buy a rubber horse pad. I bought half a pad and it was all that I needed to cut eight pads. After they are cut drill a half inch hole on two ends. That way you can push them in and pull them out using the awning pull down rod. The project will cost you next to nothing and you will get exactly what you want. Good luck

DDTQuilts 10-14-2021 04:13 PM

Jack pads

With 2 diesel pusher motorhomes I have just built 18" square pads out of 2 layers of 2x6 lumber. These work great and can have a piece of rope on them to pull them back out from under and just use a piece of 2x2 to slide them under your jack feet before leveling. They stack neatly to store in your bay.

pasdad1 10-14-2021 04:14 PM

I think it matters WHY you want pads….

If as some suggested, just to use when rules at campgrounds require pads on their asphalt surfaces…….

OR

When you really need a LARGE surface area to spread the weight and prevent the jack from sinking down in soft soil.

SnapPads useless for #2 as they don’t increase surface area hardly at all over the standard jack feet.

I cut a 2x12x8 pressure treated board into 4 pieces, and only had to use them maybe 3 times in 2 years. The boards are also useful for putting under the tire, if when level, the tire is raised off the ground. I slip the board under the tire, then lower the jack about 1/2 inch, so the tire makes contact again with the ground.

Canuk 10-14-2021 04:41 PM

Jack pads

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrwinddancer (Post 5943525)
Howdy Don, I just looked at these. With the middle hole you are losing a lot of support to help distribute the weight. How affective are these in real life?

I looked at the real purpose of jack pads, and believe the objectives are (1) to spread the weight over a greater area when parking on less than solid surfaces, and (b) prevent damage to someone's RV park surface by providing a padded underside of the RV feet. After looking at commercially available products, I decided it was cheaper and gave me more control if I purchased 4' x 8' x 1" thick plywood certified for outside use, and cut pads to 16" x 16" to optimize the use of the 4 x 8 sheet. I painted mine to protect them from weather, etc.
When the parking surface is softer than concrete, I put one or two (stacked) of these pads under each jack. I did calculate the resulting pressure area by using these pads, I found it cut the pressure (pounds per square unit) jn half. Experience has shown me these pads work as intended, and they are not that difficult to stow. I even considered embedding strong magnets in the pads, to make it easier to place them precisely on the jack feet, but so far that has not been a problem.
If you are not handy, or do not have access to tools, maybe look to a local high school industrial shop program to see if they would take on a build project. If not, perhaps there is an active RV club with someone who might volunteer to take it on.

TexasJeff 10-14-2021 04:44 PM

I made mine with scrap 2x4 lumber. Just cut 8 12" length pieces and use mending plates on each side to pull them together. This should make you 1 12x12 pad. I also cut an old nylon tie down strap to fit around the outer edge of the pads and use that as a place I can reach with a pole fitted with a hook to either place them under the jack feet, or pull them out. You can also affix maybe a length of nylon rope for this, but the strap was old and ready for the trash. And it sure saves me effort from having to get down on my knees and having to reach under the coach for them. I also had a fairly large scrap of indoor/outdoor carpet that I cut to fit and glued on to one side of the pads for the jack feet to rest on. The pads give us about 3.5" to work with for uneven ground.

I can post photos if you're interested. It was very easy to make and they've come in handy many times.

john foose 10-14-2021 05:23 PM

I cut some 3/4 " ply into 2 x 2 pieces. drilled a hole in the corner and ran some nylon string thru the holes and made a loop. took an old broom handle and put a screw in one end at angle towards me. I can use the handle to position the wood pads, and when done, I can use the "hook" to catch the string and pull them out from under and stow them in the basement. works for me. John

pvcampbell 10-14-2021 07:15 PM

I also made pads out of exterior grade 3/4" plywood. All the pads are 18" square, with each layer of plywood turned 90 degrees from the one below/above. Everything is screwed together with exterior-grade screws. I made 4 pads that are 4-ply (2" overall depth) and 2 pads that are 2-ply (1" depth). I painted them and added carpet on one side so the jack pads don't stick to them. Each pad has a rope loop on one end to allow me to retrieve them with my fire poker. If I have an unlevel site, I can fit one 2" and one 1" pad under a jack and it usually gets me level.

Doc Burry 10-14-2021 09:06 PM

SnapPads are great, call the company and see if they can make some to fit. They simply pop, on by rubbing a little liquid soap on the edge, and they give a nice 50% larger soft foot print. There is NO way they will come off. We appreciate their high quality construction and advise anyone to consider them!

ttyler3255 10-15-2021 11:56 AM

Jack pads

I purchased 1” thick rubber horse trailer pad (come in 4’x8’ and 4’x4’) at Tractor Supply then cut them to size. Think I paid less than $40.

GWBGE 10-15-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfg9585 (Post 5943647)
I have the BIGFOOT pads which can be purchased from their site bigfoot.com. You can pick the size you need.

Second Bigfoot. Get the 12x12 1.5" thick for your coach.

I have a 2019 LA which has the same jacks as the Essex. You really only need the pads when parking on loose gravel. I don't park on grass or dirt. They aren't needed on pavement or hard packed gravel as the feet on the jacks are so big to begin with.

BOSTONBERNIE 10-15-2021 04:03 PM

I am going with the gentleman above check out Bigfoot, Safe Travels

JRW-NAW 10-16-2021 06:48 AM

I went with Outdoors for Life jack pads. Available in 12x12, 14x14 and 16x16 (or a custom size), lifetime warranty and you can have your name and phone number engraved in the pad.

https://oflpads.com/products/rv-jack-pads/

I use our jack pads when ever I think the ground maybe a bit soft.

Safe Travels.

Balou 10-16-2021 09:22 AM

These are the "Orville Redenbacher" of heavy duty jack stand pads.

https://www.outriggerpads.com/produc...d-12-x-12-x-1/

I've had them 3 years now. Used them in every type of soil and pavement. Even sunk them in muck !

Never failed to support the motorhome and never a crack.

SCVJeff 10-16-2021 03:03 PM

Every year in Quartzsite at my normal place I have two jacks that punch right through the desert regardless of the rocks or boards I fill in that hole. I end up borrowing 2 “Crane” pads, very similar to above, from a friend, and problem solved. The set I finally bought are 15x15x2 and I think they are literally bulletproof. A pain to slide them in but I don’t use em’ that often

Steele 10-17-2021 08:35 AM

Balou is correct these are awesome. Each of our 18x18x1.5 inch are rated at 40K Lbs.

I also picked up a trucker’s hook at a truck stop to help with positioning and retrieval of the pads. And as a bonus you can use it to drain the water from the air tanks too!

Steele 10-17-2021 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steele (Post 5952733)
Balou is correct these are awesome. Each of our 18x18x1.5 inch are rated at 40K Lbs.

I also picked up a trucker’s hook at a truck stop to help with positioning and retrieval of the pads. And as a bonus you can use it to drain the water from the air tanks too!

Attachment 346323

TexasJeff 10-17-2021 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As an alternate to the trucker's hook (which I really like..) I picked up this thing called "Easy Reach" at Walmart. Just push the unlock button and pull the handle toward you and the front telescopes outward. Lightweight aluminum, strong and the end can be fitted with various attachments. On this one, we just put a hook which does the job. Saves the knees! :thumb:

Bylandorsea 10-17-2021 11:18 AM

Great product info and DIY ideas!

olmsteaj 10-17-2021 05:54 PM

I use 4, two foot long pieces of 2 x 12 pressure treated lumber with handles screwed on one end of each. They provide 276 square inches of support (compared with 113 for full 12 inch discs), and they easily stack in one of my storage compartments.

Newmar nut 10-19-2021 08:13 AM

would you really want to mount anything to the pad and drive like that. there not heavy to hook n pull out

Corgi Girl 10-19-2021 03:28 PM

Equalizer's Opinion

We upgraded to Equalizer Leveling System last year on our KSDP, at that time the salesman told us that Equalizer does Not recommend SnapPads for motor homes. The reason is that they tend to skid during deployment and can bend the legs.

As a result, we bought RoadWarrior Heavy Duty RV Jack Pad - from Amazon 18" diameter. They are pricey but do the job well.

JJS707787 10-19-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

True…the pads are $13 each, but they ship from Canada and the total price with ground shipping is $118

PaceArrow06 10-19-2021 04:40 PM

?studio site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfg9585 (Post 5943647)

Looks like a STUDIO site 2 me?

pasdad1 10-19-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceArrow06 (Post 5955794)
Looks like a STUDIO site 2 me?

The correct URL is

https://www.outriggerpads.com/

Manitraveler 10-19-2021 05:07 PM

Big Foot

I also have an Essex Motorhome, the best pads in my opinion are Big Foot Pads, they are heavy compared to some, but the quality is there, also if you boondock, the weight of the Essex can push the pads into the ground, this has happened on many occasions to us, the Big Foot Pads are as strong as they get.
Good Luck

Mle75749 10-19-2021 05:26 PM

Jack Pads….

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryandTed (Post 5942981)

Hey there,
We had Newmar put on Snap Pad Jack Pads when we picked up our 4054 Dutchstar in 2020. we LOVE them….they were in line with the direct from vendor price and then installed them saving us the trouble.

They have made leveling easy without crawling underneath to put down separate ones. Not expensive, worth every penny…safe heading down the road per the earlier comment. They are very tightly affixed.

enjoy your beautiful Essex

ScratchGolfr 10-21-2021 05:53 AM

re jack pads

I don't see people using them as much as I used to, campgrounds with concrete pads do not seem to be requiring. Primarily need on soft turf, etc but ... I still put them down 90% of the time

I took 2x12, laminated with 1" Plywood to make mine. Easy to do, have worked wonderfully.

PandS 10-22-2021 07:40 AM

We have the 18" Road Warriors. They work great for us. - Paul

TexasJeff 10-22-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScratchGolfr (Post 5957533)
re jack pads

I don't see people using them as much as I used to, campgrounds with concrete pads do not seem to be requiring. Primarily need on soft turf, etc but ... I still put them down 90% of the time.

Same here. With all the concrete or gravel pads, about the only reason I'll use them any more is those campsites that are so off-level I feel like I'm in the Joker's lair in an episode of Batman. If you grew up in the 60s, you'll get my reference.

We employed our auto-levelers unsuccessfully on a recent trip. So, out comes the pads to give an adequate down-stroke to get to level. Visually, the camper looked silly up on 2 wheels. Thanks goodness we had a step-stool to position at the foot of the entrance. The door jam was above knee-height after the leveler was done. :blink: