iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

gatorfan1 10-14-2021 02:16 PM

Why does anyone buy a Class A?

Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

bneiva 10-14-2021 02:29 PM

I guess we could all bury our money under the floor boards and admire our wealth..... but that doesn't sound like much fun now, does it?

Silus Marner should had quoted this - but he didn't.

77Travco 10-14-2021 02:32 PM

We've had every type of RV there is. We went back to a class A because my wife likes to be able to get up and move around while going down the road.

shootist 10-14-2021 02:36 PM

Because they wanted money when I picked mine up.

edge68474 10-14-2021 02:42 PM

We bought ours for the Big Window. :thumb:

TheWoodBoss 10-14-2021 02:58 PM

Because chicks diggem !!

FrogHollow 10-14-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

I worked in public transit for twenty some years after renting out the farm. I made several factory visits over the years at full size bus (like a class A) and paratransit bus (like a class C) factories. My last factory visit was four years ago. What I noticed over the years at one paratransit bus factory bears mention. This brand was sold twice durring the span that we had vehicles made there, each time by a larger company, and each time the production pace was increased and quality declined. Both of the companies that bought this brand also make RV's. So as RV compainies continue to be bought up by bigger companies I think the same thing is going on there.
A hand built vehicle like a RV will never reach the quality you see in a car or light truck, just because they are hand built. Especially when the parent company is pushing, pushing, pushing for faster production. Add to that all the extra systems a RV has, the number of components sitting on cargo ships outside of Long Beach, rather than arriving at the factory on time and you have the perfect storm for poor quality. We as buyers just have to be aware of that and shop carefully.

RichdlP 10-14-2021 03:13 PM

Yeah all you knuckleheads, what the heck… sheeesh

Old-Biscuit 10-14-2021 03:46 PM

Substitue for Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll

PJStough 10-14-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5949954)
Substitue for Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll

:thumb::thumb:

RV_Lee 10-14-2021 04:45 PM

Personally I think the RV world as you know it is about to finally come to a close. Look how many new ev car companies have started up, well, the same thing will happen with RV's. Literally any day now one of the new RV companies is going to drop a concept RV that will obliterate everything currently on the market.

I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

FloridaSon 10-14-2021 04:47 PM

Life is short, it all ends the same. If it does not put you in the poor house, why not?

Same as buying a high end boat, airplane (Although aircraft are built the best, boats second, )

Tha_Rooster 10-14-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)

So you saying your pleasure way was a POS?

77Travco 10-14-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950029)
Personally I think the RV world as you know it is about to finally come to a close. Look how many new ev car companies have started up, well, the same thing will happen with RV's. Literally any day now one of the new RV companies is going to drop a concept RV that will obliterate everything currently on the market.

I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

Sounds like a carnival ride at Disneyland. Just sprinkle on some ferry dust and climb aboard. :laugh: