iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

gatorfan1 10-14-2021 01:16 PM

Why does anyone buy a Class A?

Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

bneiva 10-14-2021 01:29 PM

I guess we could all bury our money under the floor boards and admire our wealth..... but that doesn't sound like much fun now, does it?

Silus Marner should had quoted this - but he didn't.

77Travco 10-14-2021 01:32 PM

We've had every type of RV there is. We went back to a class A because my wife likes to be able to get up and move around while going down the road.

shootist 10-14-2021 01:36 PM

Because they wanted money when I picked mine up.

edge68474 10-14-2021 01:42 PM

We bought ours for the Big Window. :thumb:

TheWoodBoss 10-14-2021 01:58 PM

Because chicks diggem !!

FrogHollow 10-14-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

I worked in public transit for twenty some years after renting out the farm. I made several factory visits over the years at full size bus (like a class A) and paratransit bus (like a class C) factories. My last factory visit was four years ago. What I noticed over the years at one paratransit bus factory bears mention. This brand was sold twice durring the span that we had vehicles made there, each time by a larger company, and each time the production pace was increased and quality declined. Both of the companies that bought this brand also make RV's. So as RV compainies continue to be bought up by bigger companies I think the same thing is going on there.
A hand built vehicle like a RV will never reach the quality you see in a car or light truck, just because they are hand built. Especially when the parent company is pushing, pushing, pushing for faster production. Add to that all the extra systems a RV has, the number of components sitting on cargo ships outside of Long Beach, rather than arriving at the factory on time and you have the perfect storm for poor quality. We as buyers just have to be aware of that and shop carefully.

RichdlP 10-14-2021 02:13 PM

Yeah all you knuckleheads, what the heck… sheeesh

Old-Biscuit 10-14-2021 02:46 PM

Substitue for Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll

PJStough 10-14-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5949954)

:thumb::thumb:

RV_Lee 10-14-2021 03:45 PM

Personally I think the RV world as you know it is about to finally come to a close. Look how many new ev car companies have started up, well, the same thing will happen with RV's. Literally any day now one of the new RV companies is going to drop a concept RV that will obliterate everything currently on the market.

I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

FloridaSon 10-14-2021 03:47 PM

Life is short, it all ends the same. If it does not put you in the poor house, why not?

Same as buying a high end boat, airplane (Although aircraft are built the best, boats second, …)

Tha_Rooster 10-14-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

So you saying your pleasure way was a POS?

77Travco 10-14-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950029)
Personally I think the RV world as you know it is about to finally come to a close. Look how many new ev car companies have started up, well, the same thing will happen with RV's. Literally any day now one of the new RV companies is going to drop a concept RV that will obliterate everything currently on the market.

I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

Sounds like a carnival ride at Disneyland. Just sprinkle on some ferry dust and climb aboard. :laugh:

RV_Lee 10-14-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Travco (Post 5950056)
Sounds like a carnival ride at Disneyland. Just sprinkle on some ferry dust and climb aboard. :laugh:

They said that about Tesla too. Don't worry, you can re-power the Travco with one of these

How does 700hp sound?

https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...eam_Axle_4.jpg

MDFiver 10-14-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Travco (Post 5949880)
We've had every type of RV there is. We went back to a class A because my wife likes to be able to get up and move around while going down the road.

I wish I could find the post where a woman was almost killed doing that after her husband had to suddenly hit the brakes. She had so many serious injuries, she probably wished she was dead.

Highway66 10-14-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

This plus my wife has to have her 2 chihuahuas with her at all times & tend to their every need. :)

Jzack 10-14-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFiver (Post 5950084)
I wish I could find the post where a woman was almost killed doing that after her husband had to suddenly hit the brakes. She had so many serious injuries, she probably wished she was dead.

Risk is our business, that's why we own RVs.

okcnewbie 10-14-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

I wish I could find the post where a woman was almost killed doing that (moving around) after her husband had to suddenly hit the brakes. She had so many serious injuries, she probably wished she was dead.

You don't need the post really. I believe you. This is not going to stop us from moving around in our MH while on the road. We all have to weight the risks. Moving around in my MH (with me driving) is certainly less risky than several other things I enjoy doing.

OldWEB 10-14-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5949878)
I guess we could all bury our money under the floor boards and admire our wealth..... but that doesn't sound like much fun now, does it?

“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner

2cyber71 10-14-2021 05:45 PM

Well, it’s not what you think.
I bet most of the 20+ year Class A owners will tell you this.

It how we travel, we take the motorhome everywhere vacation, day trips, weddings, family visits. It’s just how we travel, just it’s bigger than a car or van. Most new RVers would not comprehend this because they jumped into RVing as a solution to Covid.

the sights 10-14-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

I use to take acid now I take antacid

jcdata 10-14-2021 06:01 PM

Smh..this thread is pointless

OldWEB 10-14-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdata (Post 5950216)
Smh..this thread is pointless

More useful than two sinks in a bathroom....

bentjm 10-14-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

At 60 yrs old, please excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for your nirvana.

If it is to be, then great. I have yet to see any campground that could support it.

There is only one electric supplier the US wiith constant excess power. Where is all this electric power and infrastructure to deliver it going to come from?

TheCatsRV 10-14-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Hydrogen fuel cell would be better (and no need to run a generator).

Of course, by the time the rig (well used) becomes cheap enough and enough refuelling infrastructure is in place, it most likely won't be in my RVing life time (and I just started).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

dbircky 10-14-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

You might be a tad bit off with the weights. There is not one ev that weighs less than a comparable sized ice. Plan on about a 20-25% increase in weight thanks to batteries for the same power and range.

Donskiman 10-14-2021 10:37 PM

In all seriousness we bought a Class A for the extra space and storage that would allow us to take long trips.

Having spent many years on tour busses taking me to ski areas with no issues, we thought these big rigs would be designed and engineered to withstand the horrible roads. Sure there would be maintenance and things wearing out, but things just falling apart were not expected.

I've bought many hand made items over the years and the vast majority were superior in quality and craftmanship to factory built items. I don't buy that argument.

On my rig there are body parts only held on with glue. Many other things are attached with tiny screws into particle board. Both are examples of poor design and engineering.

The horrible roads are a known issue. Why can't these things be built with that in mind?

RM Art 10-14-2021 11:16 PM

We're not minimalists nor maxi-mists... but, we are middle-ists!

In that:

We purchase very good condition, well maintained, tested - tried n' true used items; e.g. cars, boats, RV's, houses, motorcycles... etc. And... we save A TON [lots, oodles] of money; along with greatly reduced headaches by doing so!

Takes a bit of looking, shopping, try-outs and finally horse trading purchase price discussions before we lay our "cash" on the table.

Then, we end up with affordable, really cool, super enjoyable THANGS!!

We have class a A RV - cause - It's a goodie we found.

Look carefully. Test fully. Dicker well on price. Enjoy life!! :dance::dance:

Bobby F 10-14-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

I prefer to think of them as a great addition to the others.

JFXG 10-14-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

……. it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks……..using cheap components to save money…….lack of suppliers……..a house subjected to earthquake conditions…..,,,,,, my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B…...

I’m confused.:
1. All Class A are junk.
1A. All RVs are junk
2. *MY* Class A units were the best.
3. *MY* Class B unit was the worst.
Conclusion: l’m now driving the Class B.

Isaac-1 10-15-2021 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How else can you sleep in your own bed, have your own kitchen, and real bathroom (not a shower with a toilet in it), and have views like this out your door.

Sweetbriar 10-15-2021 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hmm, had my POS Thor manufactured gas class A for ten seasons now. Never been forced home early, left on the side of the road, had to cancel an outing and has yet to see the parking lot of a service center. I must be doing something wrong.

See you later as it's time to prep for a noon departure for weekend at the beach. :D

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Or we could drive our new Escalade to the Ritz Carleton and not have any problems! :D

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFXG (Post 5950502)
I’m confused.:
1. All Class A are junk.
1A. All RVs are junk
2. *MY* Class A units were the best.
3. *MY* Class B unit was the worst.
Conclusion: l’m now driving the Class B.

Read my post again but slower...

desertdd 10-15-2021 06:48 AM

A class A Rv isn't for everybody. There are people who buy them and shouldn't own one. They are quite complex. I have had plenty of issues in 13 years with our class A and since I am a gear head most of the problems were taken care of by myself. I wouldn't recommend a class A is you are brain dead mechanically or are short on funds. On the other hand we have had great memories from our travels. You could save your money and someday you can be the richest man in the cemetery!:dance:

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

True. We like that as well.

Bylandorsea 10-15-2021 07:07 AM

I just love first world problems!

Jzack 10-15-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbriar (Post 5950594)
Hmm, had my POS Thor manufactured gas class A for ten seasons now. Never been forced home early, left on the side of the road, had to cancel an outing and has yet to see the parking lot of a service center. I must be doing something wrong.

See you later as it's time to prep for a noon departure for weekend at the beach. :D

Your 2006 "Thor" was actually built by Damon Motor Coach in their own factory. They were just a subsidiary of Thor (similar to Entegra, Airstream) until the factory closed in 2009. Then came the forced marriage with Four Winds to create Thor Motor Coach.

Damon's quality was actually considered quite good up until that time.

RV_Lee 10-15-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbircky (Post 5950452)
You might be a tad bit off with the weights. There is not one ev that weighs less than a comparable sized ice. Plan on about a 20-25% increase in weight thanks to batteries for the same power and range.

No, not really. How much does the big diesel, transmission and full fuel tank, exhaust etc weigh in your coach? An electric coach can use hub motors or motors in the center section of the differentials (front and rear), then you put the battery pack between the frame rails. It will be lighter, and they're already doing this for buses and keeping the air suspension.

gfmucci 10-15-2021 08:13 AM

People get an RV for the same reason they take a vacation:

It's something "different"; a break from the mundane.

Some like the experience and stay.
Some like it occasionally and go back a few times a year.
Some like it once and sell it and never go back.

Country Road 10-15-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdd (Post 5950649)
A class A Rv isn't for everybody. There are people who buy them and shouldn't own one. They are quite complex. I have had plenty of issues in 13 years with our class A and since I am a gear head most of the problems were taken care of by myself. I wouldn't recommend a class A is you are brain dead mechanically or are short on funds. On the other hand we have had great memories from our travels. You could save your money and someday you can be the richest man in the cemetery!:dance:

And your heirs will by touring the world.

GWBGE 10-15-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950707)
No, not really. How much does the big diesel, transmission and full fuel tank, exhaust etc weigh in your coach? An electric coach can use hub motors or motors in the center section of the differentials (front and rear), then you put the battery pack between the frame rails. It will be lighter, and they're already doing this for buses and keeping the air suspension.

I was just going to say that diesel electric busses are currently hitting the market.

As battery and electric motor technology gets more efficient, I can see a class A with all electric drive powered by batteries that can be charged through a combination of plug-in, diesel generator, and solar panels.

I bet we see it in the next 5 to 10 years.

77Travco 10-15-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950074)
They said that about Tesla too. Don't worry, you can re-power the Travco with one of these

How does 700hp sound?

Nope, not for me. Tesla is not the end all solution either. EV's are boring and have no soul, I won't even own an electric golf cart. EV's are just a way to move pollution from one form to another... it's all a shell game. I'll refrain from derailing this thread any further.

77Travco 10-15-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

You should see what we do on our motorcycles... :eek:

Argosy 10-15-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Quite a few companies tried. They had luxury prices though nowhere near a Newell, upscale and quality were selling points. They went bankrupt or were bought out.

NLOVNIT 10-15-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootist (Post 5949883)
Because they wanted money when I picked mine up.

Best answer yet.:thumb:

dbircky 10-15-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950707)

Actually - my physically larger Honda Accord weighs around 500 pounds LESS than a Tesla 3. Additionally the Tesla’s maximum base range is 260 miles. The Accord’s is over 550 miles.
Another example? Audi Etron weighs 5800 pounds and the same sized Audi A6Allroad weighs 4500 pounds. A difference of 1,300 pounds AND the etron only has a range of 222 miles versus the gasoline power one having a range of 650 miles. The only way to increase range is to increase the number of heavy batteries. Gasoline and diesel have 100 times the energy density (MJ/kg) of a lithium battery.
Electric vehicles may have some advantages, but weight, range, and cost aren’t in their favor.
Ask SEPTA about their experience with all electric buses, they are sitting in a storage yard and the diesels continue to operate. The technology has far to go before it reaches the RV market.

Flyer15015 10-15-2021 11:38 AM

So, for motor homes, why could we not copy a diesel locomotive ?
We are already carrying a 5-7.5K generator that literally "sips " gas or diesel.
Big electric motor hooked up to the differential and powered by our generator and a roof full of solar panels, just for back up.
Regenerative braking that throws a bit back in the battery bank in place of a "jake brake" too.
"Take us out Mr. Tsu- luu".

Mike in Colorado

PS; I'll tell you later where to send my commission check.

Jzack 10-15-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer15015 (Post 5950952)
So, for motor homes, why could we not copy a diesel locomotive ?
We are already carrying a 5-7.5K generator that literally "sips " gas or diesel.
Big electric motor hooked up to the differential and powered by our generator and a roof full of solar panels, just for back up.
Regenerative braking that throws a bit back in the battery bank in place of a "jake brake" too.
"Take us out Mr. Tsu- luu".

Mike in Colorado

PS; I'll tell you later where to send my commission check.

I like your idea and have often thought why aren't there diesel-electric trucks on the road. I would have to guess weight is the issue. Batteries and electric motors are very heavy but locomotives have a huge payload capacity to deal with it.

Fiesta48 10-15-2021 01:06 PM

I would never have bought my last 3 Class A RVs without being able to fix 95% of what goes bad. Now it's a full time hobby keeping up these 5. A 28' 5er, a 24' Class B, a 41' DP a 14 year old car and a pick up. A older house and boat.

bneiva 10-15-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzack (Post 5950960)
I like your idea and have often thought why aren't there diesel-electric trucks on the road. I would have to guess weight is the issue. Batteries and electric motors are very heavy but locomotives have a huge payload capacity to deal with it.

Diesel-electric trucks would be extremely expensive to build but like the locomotive, it can be successfully done! However, There is a mindset in certain parts of our country (:D) where words like GASOLINE and DIESEL are bad and must be entirely eliminated! Diesel-electric cars would be phonominal and would absolutely put the Prius to shame in performance and mileage. But again, one of those two dirty words keeps popping up!

As a disclaimer: this is only "my" thought and no other person; be it real, imaginary, or fictional, influenced my way of thinking. In addition; no animals were injured, or killed during the writing of these two paragraphs!

Bill

Jzack 10-15-2021 01:46 PM

We have a local Railroad Company that advertises they can haul 100 tons of freight 400 miles using only 10 gallons of diesel. So I wouldn't doubt if you could scale it down it would be competitive with any gas hybrid on the road today.

ga traveler 10-15-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Why? The people who use their motorhome while underway (like me) will still walk around the motorhome while underway. People who think it is unsafe will still only walk around when stopped.
Everyone knows it is safer not to get up underway, but most,like me, feel the danger is not that great.
We bought our first motorhome in 1974. A 1972 Open Road. We have always moved about , while underway, in all the motorhomes with no injuries.
It is always about choices.

TheCatsRV 10-15-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzack (Post 5951066)
We have a local Railroad Company that advertises they can haul 100 tons of freight 400 miles using only 10 gallons of diesel. So I wouldn't doubt if you could scale it down it would be competitive with any gas hybrid on the road today.

Relatively-level ground and low rolling friction, as well as priority right of way (no stopping and starting for traffic) helps, which makes rail very efficient compared to trucks. The closest vehicle to a diesel-electric that is/was mass-produced was the Chevy Volt. Gas engine but it was there only as an electrical generator (at least in the 1st generation) and did not propel the vehicle directly. Engine ran at an optimal RPM (whole premise of combustion/generation) to charge the batteries and power the vehicle's electrics.

D-E RVs could be done but probably would cost too much.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

NLOVNIT 10-15-2021 02:59 PM

Folks, please get back on topic.

RM Art 10-15-2021 05:04 PM

Get an A RV! Roomy, Comfortable, Resalable, ETC.... :thumb:

arcaguy 10-15-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Let's see the 2020 total production for the RV industry was approximately 400,000 units. The 2020 production of Ford F150s was 787,422 or roughly twice the entire production of the RV industry. And auto/trucks only have 4 major systems driveline, body, supsension and brakes. Class A, B or C have all of these in addition to refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, along with furniture, and various rooms. That there are engineering issues with RVs needs to be put in context with the volume of RVs built in each model along with the number of models there are. I would hazard a guess that there are several times the number of RV models as there are automobile models. If you are expecting automobile quality from RV manufacturers I think you really, really need to rethink your expectations. It's not that there isn't room for improvement in the RV industry, there is plenty, but to expect them to rise to the quality level of the auto manufacturers is just unrealistic.

mlh2013 10-15-2021 06:33 PM

The OP's thread title was a question " Why does anyone buy a class A? " My answer to this question is we bought ours to enjoy and that we have and so have our grandkids. Making memories.

Roadmiester 10-15-2021 06:49 PM

Why buy a class A? Why not? Maybe just lay down and die? I remember a time when there were no seat belts or bike helmets. Somehow we survived, so getting up and walking around in a class A is no different, you take your chances. A waste of money? Any different than spending a couple hundred on fishing gear, bait and a license only to go out and catch nothing, or the one fish you did manage to catch will end up costing about $150 a pound. Why buy a $80,000 new fancy fishing boat when you can buy fish at the market all day long for less than 10 bucks for a skillet full? Life is short, no one gets out alive so go and enjoy, or lock yourself in the house and let your kids have what's left of your money to spend on stupid stuff like dope and video games. I'll keep my class A, spend the kids inheritance and see things you can't see at 30,000 feet above the Earth. No regrets, plenty of complaints.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty (big expensive class A)

Dark Sky 10-15-2021 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can walk around in a Class A, but I surely hope you never drank from a garden hose... And, of course a fully electric Class A is just around the corner. All we have to do is scale up this technology:

CamJam1 10-15-2021 10:17 PM

Through the years I've had two travel trailers, two Class C and two Class A. Pros and cons to all choices, but we like the view out the front windows of a Class A and having access to the kitchen and bathroom while going down the road. There are times I wouldn't mind having a slightly smaller (narrower and lower) Class A, such as the Thor Vegas or Axis which are Class A's built on a Class C chassis, but that wont be happening unless Thor improves their quality.

PandS 10-16-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

I have envisioned that too. Then I woke up......;)

Electric motors and batteries are heavy!

Dream on......-Paul

dizcom 10-16-2021 02:46 PM

For the air horns, obv.

radar 10-16-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Sky (Post 5951450)
You can walk around in a Class A, but I surely hope you never drank from a garden hose... And, of course a fully electric Class A is just around the corner. All we have to do is scale up this technology:

LOL. What is that thing. It looks like he is putting fuel in a water heater. LOL :)

Bobby F 10-16-2021 03:54 PM

That's a TZero EV, with the optional LongRanger trailered generator being fueled up behind it.

radar 10-16-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby F (Post 5952192)
That's a TZero EV, with the optional LongRanger trailered generator being fueled up behind it.

So like a prehistoric hybrid. Cool. Looks like a home built.

Ray,IN 10-17-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Many years ago my first wife and I were driving through a city when a man ran a red light. I broadsided him, and my first wife was sitting on the bed in the rear of the MH.
The sudden stop/impact threw her to the front of the 30' gas MH where she was stopped by hitting the dash. two broken wrists, however she never fully recovered from that incident. She had back and leg pain ever since.

My present wife tries to get up and walk around while I'm driving. When she unbuckles her belt I pull over ASAP, which irritates her, but it's all about protecting my beloved wife.

RV_Lee 10-17-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandS (Post 5952126)
I have envisioned that too. Then I woke up......;)

Electric motors and batteries are heavy!

Dream on......-Paul

Winnebago already did it in 2018 and used lead acid batteries and a motor that looked like they stole it from a lathe, same weight as their gasser F53's.

David 70 10-18-2021 10:52 AM

I bought my class A for the prestige, the possibility of having something to work on when I had nothing else to do, the possibility of being stranded on the side of the road waiting for the wrecker then overnighting in the repair shop parking lot, the possibility of being broke down 1200 miles from home and having to return home for a week and then driving back to retrieve it.
Other than that we have loved the experience for 6 years now. What else could give you all these things for $50,000?

Fiesta48 10-18-2021 11:53 AM

We travel with my sister in law, she's in her pick up pulling her 28' fiver.
No rest areas or don't want to go in due to Covid. She walks up to our 41' DP and goes tinkle. With her slide in she can't get to the bathroom also. Class A for us.

Tarcowboy 10-18-2021 07:46 PM

If you gotta ask “why a class A” you haven’t been hooking up a TT to the bumper of your truck for the last 20 years. Just got ours and we absolutely love the experience. So far ...anyway....:)

tcg 10-19-2021 06:46 AM

Why a Class C? Why a boat? Why a big house? Why a small house? Why a motorcycle? Why a wife? Why kids? Why a dog? Why a cat?

Why anything?

Because we can an do whatever we decide that makes us happy but may not make someone else happy.

RM Art 10-19-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcg (Post 5955074)
Why a Class C? Why a boat? Why a big house? Why a small house? Why a motorcycle? Why a wife? Why kids? Why a dog? Why a cat?

Why anything?

Because we can an do whatever we decide that makes us happy but may not make someone else happy.

Extremely well put!

That's The America Experiment!!! - In a Nut Shell!!

That is why: "Do unto [for] others as you would have them do unto [for] you!" and "Each to their own!" are both great slogans to live buy in this great country of United States of America.

This American Experiment [i.e. social, business, governmental, religion, gender and race] is meant to [best as possible] level the playing field[s] for citizens of the United States.

It's not that everything always works out... but... during "Experiments" there are always mistakes until the "Experiment" outcome begins to truly show success of the endeavors partaken.

God bless America! And, we each should bless her too!! :thumb: ;)

jeskibuff 10-19-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiesta48 (Post 5954303)
We travel with my sister in law, she's in her pick up pulling her 28' fiver.
No rest areas or don't want to go in due to Covid. She walks up to our 41' DP and goes tinkle.

Even maybe if she behaves well you'll eventually let her inside so she can use the toilet in the bathroom! :)

UTTransplant 10-19-2021 08:45 AM

I actually read all the posts in this thread, and I am still giggling at the original question. I don’t have to tell you or anyone else why I bought my Class A. It isn’t any of your business. And if anyone on the web believes that reports of issues implies all rigs are flawed, then they haven’t been online very long. No one goes on the web to say “I had a great day without any issues!”

tcg 10-19-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTTransplant (Post 5955215)
No one goes on the web to say “I had a great day without any issues!”

Because if we did that it would jinx us and then we'd have major issues the next time out.

I'm even nervous making this comment because we're heading out for a couple long weekends before it gets ugly in Michigan.

dbircky 10-19-2021 08:55 AM

I had another great trip with no issues in my class A.

Well, there was a little issue with chocolate chip cookies disappearing. Evidently having a class A leads to an increased consumption of cookies. Why does anyone make cookies? They just get eaten and then there’s the problem of no more cookies.

Flyer15015 10-19-2021 09:10 AM

This thread reminds me of an old 60's AMWAY film of a prehistoric Winnebago class "A" going down the road with the wife standing in the kitchen frosting a cake.

WE DO IT BECAUSE WE CAN.

Nuff said.

Mike in Colorado

Crasher 10-19-2021 09:27 AM

In 8 years and 80,000 miles, I have had one DEF sensor replaced and the engine AC compressor was just changed last year. We also replaced the slideout cover awnings. Annual service for the chassis at the Cummins shop and at my dealer for the house. We just add water, food, clothes and fuel. Then watch the world unfold through that big big window at the front. Life is good in a Class A.

bneiva 10-19-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldWEB (Post 5950237)
More useful than two sinks in a bathroom....

As friendly as two holes in the outhouse....

Greg5OH 10-20-2021 03:06 PM

cause you can, and taking a poop going down the road is nearly priceless.

Also a big one for me, pride of ownership! Most diesel pushers have some presence to them, and they are just freaking cool. I enjoy taking care and washing mine.

Actually the biggest reason I bought it-you can tow your car with your house, with ease too.

desertdd 10-21-2021 06:07 AM

Another reason we bought a class A we winter in Arizona and are into UTV riding. This way we can pull a trailer with our UTV and Honda CRV on board. A lot of people do the same thing as it makes it easier to travel with your toys. You could do the same thing with a toy hauler, but don't like the idea of driving around with a big 3/4 ton pickup.

RoadTrip2084 10-21-2021 07:46 AM

A Class A is almost literally a land yacht. It's the closest thing to a boat you can drive around on dry land. It it filled with complex systems required to support the driving, levelling, and cabin comforts required. It is a certainty that thing are going to fail, require near constant maintenance, etc.

If you think keeping a Class A on the road is hard work and expensive, try living on a boat for awhile. At least the Class A can't sink.

..and the reason to own one is the same, freedom and adventure! :dance:

RM Art 10-21-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5957647)
A Class A is almost literally a land yacht. It's the closest thing to a boat you can drive around on dry land. It it filled with complex systems required to support the driving, levelling, and cabin comforts required. It is a certainty that thing are going to fail, require near constant maintenance, etc.

If you think keeping a Class A on the road is hard work and expensive, try living on a boat for awhile. At least the Class A can't sink.

..and the reason to own one is the same, freedom and adventure! :dance:

Exactly!! :laugh: :thumb:

jeskibuff 10-21-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5957647)

I don't know. I think I'd fair better on a boat than in an RV if in the middle of a lake.

Isaac-1 10-21-2021 01:28 PM

Having owned both (cruising sailboat), I agree boats are worse, they take more maintenance being exposed to salt air, etc. and can sink.

rlg717 10-21-2021 02:42 PM

Gee how else wouldI spend the kids inheritance?

Coffee Guy 10-21-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

At 72 I will not be around when all that happens. It sounds like the new version rv will be too much to drive at 102. I think I will hit the road now.

Jrcwonka 10-21-2021 02:52 PM

I guess we’re all masochist at heart.

JR S 10-21-2021 02:56 PM

My father (a 50-year RV’er) told me, “son, if you’re not handy, don’t by an RV…you’ll be fixing something all the time.” Those words were words of wisdom, and so true.

But when you’re out on the road with your spouse, exploring the countryside and seeing things I flew over a thousand times before I retired, I’ll put up with the curveballs thrown my way.

dfuelman 10-21-2021 03:03 PM

Well, a new Corvette was just too hard to get in and out of and the DW was having no parts of a boob job for the girlfriend. The Class A was a nice compromise.

Soaringcook 10-21-2021 03:11 PM

Thats why you should buy a school bus and convert it. It cost 1/3 and it lasts 10 times longer.

Marshalone 10-21-2021 03:11 PM

After starting out with a 40 ft. park model for 2 years, we moved up to a 41 ft 5th wheel which we enjoyed for 5 years and then up to the current 38 ft class A. All of them gave us trouble, headaches and deluxe heartburn on many occasions however the grand kids love the experience and seeing them happy and having fun is worth the money. One day my wife and I will travel cross country on our own and then really find out what true RVing is. We expect problems and issues but that's all in line with the great times and wonderful people we meet along the way. Happy camping.

AnywhereEric 10-21-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

I have a class A and haven't given up sex, drugs or rock and roll. LoL . Nothing like eating a special brownie and going for a walk. The RV facilitates that. Probably have more sex in the RV than we do at home. And there's no way I'll ever give up Rock and roll.

ajaysarin 10-21-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

It is crazy how people that has never owned an RV understand the joy along with headaches that is part of rving. For me it’s not only the destination it’s the time spent getting there with all the stops along the way.

ajaysarin 10-21-2021 03:56 PM

Mine is a 2005 Itasca, they sure **** don’t make them like they use to for sure. New one now a day are made to look pretty and that’s about it.

zzotte 10-21-2021 04:03 PM

Because my dogs asked me to :)

Zzotte

dsavage74 10-21-2021 04:11 PM

Why buy?

Why buy clothes? They wear out and get outgrown
Why buy a house? It needs constant repair
Why buy food? You just get hooked and keep buying
Why buy anything?
You can’t take any of it with you
Just send you money to me!!!

Jimwsch 10-21-2021 04:32 PM

We bought a 07 ne or 5 Newmar 33 ft. Haven't had one problem and have lived in it for 4 or 5 months at a time as snowbirds. Sorry to hear of all problems recently. It seems to me that they are making the new ones to fancy for price and size.