iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

belfast1949 10-21-2021 04:33 PM

Why Class A

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

We tested a Class B then an A about the same length...25ft when we first purchased. I was leaning to the Cl B until I test drove the units. The difference in the view from the Class A versus the B was the deal maker.

Driving the A we both had a panoramic view from the huge front window....it was like a rolling drive in movie. The Cl B seemed claustrophobic afterwards. With the overhang of the unit over the cab and the smaller windshield it just seemed closed in and limited the view drastically.

We realized going in there would be hassles with quality issues with the unit as we travelled, we realized it was not a cheap way to travel but as the poster above stated no point saving for a future that might not arrive and we ain't taking any of it with us. Fortunately we discovered Newmar and our 2017 has given us 20,000 miles and 5 trouble free years of enjoyment. Would not trade our travel experiences for double or triple the money we spent. 100 plus nights on the road per year and the cost starts to even out.

D Gardiner 10-21-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Why does anyone buy a Class A? Or any RV for that matter!

We have a 30' Class-A because:
1) She fits in about 84% of NP camp grounds
2) On-board generator
3) Can shower in the parking lot at 6AM, waiting for Old Faithful to blow.
4) Have our own bathroom & bedroom.
5) Works great to eat 'Take-Out' food hot, in the Covid era parking lot.
6) Convenient for all of our son's 16U all weekend travel baseball tournaments.
7) If one of us gets sick, the other can drive. (Been there, done that.)

Quote:

When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks.

No they do not. However, depending on manufacture & often what era they were built, they can be quite bullet proof. Ours has no slide outs to break, and a steel wall and roof structure. She survived a 8" diameter tree branch hitting the roof 2 years ago, with just one scratch.

With that said, some Year & Manufacture RVs need to be inspected thoroughly, and avoided, if maintenance was not performed. As with any car or truck, some years and models are better than others. No one today would by a brand new 1989 Hyundai Excel (they were cheap), and (I worked on them back then), but many would consider purchasing a modern one.

For example, Winnebago can have issues with their roofs of maintenance is not performed every year (at least), or 6 months as some recommend. If not, damage can quickly follow, leading to a complete roof job. Let the AZ Expert explain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGfXl4zO38

Quote:

And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again.

To an extent this is correct, but it's not everything. Yes, rough roads are bad, and we do our best to avoid them, lower our speed, change lanes, have good shock, correct air pressure etcetera.
Have hear others state, "They are subject to hurricane winds". A category 1 hurricane is 74-95 mph. Yeah,....we normally do not travel that fast. Class-As are generally not that flimsy. (Maybe some tin and staple units, but not Class-A, B or C and even most 5th wheels. :hide:)

bneiva 10-21-2021 04:44 PM

This post has actually gotten funny!
The majority of us clearly responded to the ops title, "Why Would Anybody Own A Class A " but if you carefully read the post itself, you will see that he presently owns a class A and he was comparing it to his previously owned class B & C. His title was a bit misleading but I believe he was just making a statement about the quality of our rv's.
Sure made for some good reading though!:)

Bill

Dadeoo 10-21-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

So you can experience the fun of having a rattling 1970s defect filled American car and poorly built, structuraly deficient old house all at once. Its a twofer.

fagnaml 10-21-2021 05:09 PM

The wife and I have and love our coach as we like moving our "cabin with our stuff" from the Rocky Mountains to the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Gulf Shore at any time! And yes it get's bounced around on many a highway but nothing major has broken (yet).

I'd guess that most "postings" to iRV2 happen when an RV owner has a problem (I know a majority of the new threads I create are usually problem related). Hence it seems like all we read about are complaints. I wonder if the Forum Moderators could add buttons like "problem", "no problems", "just wanna chat" to the "start new thread" function to be able to track how many posts are, or are not, about a problem with an RV?

Bat Dude 10-21-2021 05:40 PM

We went from a 16' molded FG Scamp to a much much nicer 19' molded FG Escape (made in Canada). The last was the best quality TT with zero issues in the few years we had it.

Enter COVID!

We did not want to be cheek to jowl with people in steamy small RV park laundry rooms or shower facilities. Yes the Escape and Scamp had wet "Bath rooms" but very tiny and soaked the toilet etc.

So our option last year as we have no choice but to escape Michigan's seasonal Ice Age before the glaciers began their annual march down our 22į to 24į driveway that leads to the street was to find another option for living on the road below the hard freeze line for 4-5 months.

OK Class A was the only way to go with a washer and drier unit.
Drove south an hour or so to Grand Rapids and found a single RV dealer with a smaller class A.

The HR Invicta, new model for them in 2020.
Wife and I walked through it and asked about Washer/drier combo and yes one could be installed in a week.

With little or no discussion wife said we should take it.
So we wrote the check and headed home to wait for the install.

Opps needed t pull our Ford Explorer... so another 2 week wait while the Ford was modified and a Blue-OX tow bar set up was installed.

So now this year we departed Mich. early Oct. and are currently in the Olympic Peninsula Wash. spending a week in the Olympic National Park.

OH... the Invicta is as front Gasser and 35' and change so good for most National Parks and state campgrounds. Wanted a diesel pusher but only found a used Tiffin in the state that was poorly maintained found so passed on it.

Yep had a host of issues with the coach the first year. ALL, yes 100% covered under warranty. Go REV RV super customer support.

This trip we lost windscreen wipers, water heater and the Brake Buddy in the toad Ford burned up one night at an overnight stop.

Will need to arm wrestle the "Extended warranty" contract folk on the above issues.

Water heater repaired in Utah, and replaced the Brake Buddy. Wipers are working with new motor but only high and low now park or intermittent features at present.

Thanks to RainX I could see to drive safely w/o wipers.

While as tropical ecologists (wife worked on jaguars - cats not cars, and I still do bats and lived in Central American for a quarter of a century) we still believe SMALL is Beautiful... we are happy with the Class A for now.

Likely after this long trip ~ 8K miles to the Pacific NW then Calif. coast on to the SW and back to Mich. via Utah and Colo. we will do one more trip with Vickie to Jekyll Island, GA next winter one of our all time favorite wintering spots. After that we will likely put the Invicta on the market and get another Escape. Likely a bit larger than the 19'

So that's our story on Why a Class A choice.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude

robertlipp 10-21-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizcom (Post 5952128)
For the air horns, obv.

Thatís why my wife insisted upon it! Also, she never did get the hang of backing up our fifth wheel.

FrankenRV 10-21-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogHollow (Post 5949917)
...A hand built vehicle like a RV will never reach the quality you see in a car or light truck, just because they are hand built. Especially when the parent company is pushing, pushing, pushing for faster production. Add to that all the extra systems a RV has, the number of components sitting on cargo ships outside of Long Beach, rather than arriving at the factory on time and you have the perfect storm for poor quality. We as buyers just have to be aware of that and shop carefully.

Complaints about quality problems have been posted here long before the partially fake news about cargo ships being backed up at ports. In fake news pictures of ships all allegedly waiting to enter a port, some are in port, some are waiting, some are exiting.

Having worked in a manufacturing environment long ago, I do agree with your assessment about production line pressure and the impact on quality. As PMs say about the "triple constraint" - You can have quality, cost, or schedule. Pick two (or one).

TwinOaks 10-21-2021 07:20 PM

My Lord people, is anyone out there really thinking? First, I have a 2008 Monaco Camelot and it has been outstanding! And only a few minor things that are to be expected, not much different than your own home. Second, stand back and imagine for a second how many different systems there are within a large Class A motorhome.
You have a huge diesel drive train similar to semi trucks, set into a high tech heavy duty frame and suspension system, which carry around a giant house box jam packed with stuff that includes 12 V systems, 120 V 50 amp systems, your charging systems, sewer system, freshwater system, AC systems, water heating system, propane system, hydraulic lift systems with bags, if you have them , and all the appliances that are in a home.
Not to mention your auto tracking satellite dish, your automatic awnings, And your entertainment system.
Anyone that buys a class a motorhome should also possess the basic skills and tools necessary to stay on top of minor things that need to be addressed, you know who you are. Again, just like the home you live in. If you donít possess these basic skills, youíre probably one of the many people that I have met in a variety of places, who have asked for my help to fix stuff. Just like a car, you sometimes need a mechanic for more complex issues. The single most important thing for your motor coach is proper and routine maintenance, maintenance and maintenance.
The majority of things that I see becoming problematic for people happened because of negligent maintenance practices. Motor coaches are a luxury item, not a necessity!
Remember, there are many people who really should just not own complex pieces of equipment like a Class A motor coach!
Enjoy

Elk Hunter 10-21-2021 07:25 PM

Canít put a price on a good time. Nothing like the RV life

SanCristobus 10-21-2021 07:33 PM

Bottom line is if you have to ask that question you donít need one and shouldnít buy one

01blueox 10-21-2021 07:42 PM

Well all I can say is when you lay your head on that pillow in a plush motel try not to think of what other body parts were on it before you....

09 harley 10-21-2021 08:29 PM

Because we are dreamers. Even with problems we want to explore this great country.

Payson Dave 10-21-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cyber71 (Post 5950195)
Well, itís not what you think.
I bet most of the 20+ year Class A owners will tell you this.

It how we travel, we take the motorhome everywhere vacation, day trips, weddings, family visits. Itís just how we travel, just itís bigger than a car or van. Most new RVers would not comprehend this because they jumped into RVing as a solution to Covid.

We have owned our Fleetwood Fiesta 26y for twenty years. I think we have spent about 7k on repairs and upkeep. Still going strong. Only had a few problems the first week. Everything still works fine. Too many stories about poor workmanship today. They don't make them like they used to.

MBrant 10-22-2021 07:23 AM

I bought a Coachmen Pursuit in early April, and still haven't been able to use it. It goes back into the shop on Thursday for more major safety issues. I have no idea how it even GOT to California with all the safety issues. It ought to caught fire, had the dry differential lock up, and had the wheels fall off on the road.

Look, I can fix a LOT, but should I HAVE to rebuild a new differential? Should I HAVE to fasten down the dashboard? I had an outlet which was splintered and glued back together - at the factory! (Who DOES that?)

I've put 300 miles on this since April, and it's all going to and coming from the dealer and Ford for warrantee safety issues!

Yeah, a little discouraged....

RoadTrip2084 10-22-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBrant (Post 5958852)
I bought a Coachmen Pursuit in early April, and still haven't been able to use it. It goes back into the shop on Thursday for more major safety issues. I have no idea how it even GOT to California with all the safety issues. It ought to caught fire, had the dry differential lock up, and had the wheels fall off on the road.

Look, I can fix a LOT, but should I HAVE to rebuild a new differential? Should I HAVE to fasten down the dashboard? I had an outlet which was splintered and glued back together - at the factory! (Who DOES that?)

I've put 300 miles on this since April, and it's all going to and coming from the dealer and Ford for warrantee safety issues!

Yeah, a little discouraged....

Wow, that is really upsetting to hear. You might want to explore your local "lemon" laws and look for a refund.

Roadrunner 10-22-2021 07:39 AM

It is a lifestyle we want to experience and you should realize the cost before going into it.

RM Art 10-22-2021 07:43 AM

MB - I feel for you! Was it a brand new Coachman?

Best luck in resolution to this most unfortunate situation. :facepalm:

As mentioned above - The Lemon Law might be an avenue to traverse. :icon_peace:

Iceman-31D 10-22-2021 07:53 AM

Back to the original question: why a class A? Because of the experience! We have used class C, class B, and trailers over the past 30 years, and travelling in a class A is far superior. Sitting 10 ft. in the air, seeing over all other cars and guardarails, surrounded by 50sq. ft of glass is priceless! We did a trip from Montana to south Texas in our class A, travelling with friends who were in their 5th wheel. Every evening we sat around and told them about all the cool things we had seen, that they did not because they were down "in the trenches" sitting in their pickup!

gjbales 10-22-2021 09:04 AM

This post reminds me of my first job out of college. I worked at a Plymouth/Dodge dealership as Office Manager and all I saw coming in for repairs day in and day out were Chrysler products. Every day -- a Dodge would come in, then a Plymouth, and they just kept coming. I swore up and down that I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product because of that. Then, years later, it finally dawned on me that those people that were HAPPY with their Dodges and Chrysler products that didn't have any problems weren't coming in to the dealership. DUH! No need to come in and have any repairs done if nothing is wrong, right?

Same here -- there are probably more people out there that own Class A's that do not have any problems (or very few to mention) and we don't hear from them. That's what these forums are for -- to help others who DO have problems and questions.

Just because there is a problem listed on this forum doesn't mean that ALL OF US have problems with our Class A's.

JedClampett 10-22-2021 10:50 AM

Huh??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5949954)
Substitue for Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll

I wasn't aware that there was any replacement for those three. :)

Flyer15015 10-22-2021 10:55 AM

There isn't, but as we get older, the order may have to be changed.

Mike in Colorado

arlenerhine 10-22-2021 11:21 AM

We had a 39 foot Winnebago Journey for years.....few problems. Decided to downsize to a new trailer.....problems started when we pulled it out of the lot. We sold it three months later. Now we have a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder. It is so much more solid and comfortable. Yes, some problems, but with all that shaking going on, what can we expect?

Max Headroom 10-22-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950029)
Personally I think the RV world as you know it is about to finally come to a close. Look how many new ev car companies have started up, well, the same thing will happen with RV's. Literally any day now one of the new RV companies is going to drop a concept RV that will obliterate everything currently on the market.

I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

Where this is a fail is where you're saying, "no need to weigh 35,000lbs"
While that is technically true, you can't have all you desire in a coach that weighs much less unless you sacrifice quality. There is a reason that gassers are falling apart after 5 years, and mid to high end DP's are in reasonably good shape after 20 years, and the reason is real wood, quality amenities are heavy. You want quality amenities, you're gonna have to have a chassis that can hold some weight. As of right now, only the DP has the power to haul that kind of weight on a regular basis.

On a second point, what do you think a battery bank that can haul that kind of load for 800 miles is going to weigh?
I can go 800 miles easily in my Monaco DP
200 gallons of fuel, 1,200 pounds (actually more than enough for 800 miles)
Cummins M11, 2,100 pounds
Allison 4060 transmission, 892 pounds
Total 4,192 pounds

I'm going to venture a guess that the 'unicorn' electric coach battery will weigh a lot more than my combined drive train and fuel. This guess is based on the fact a Tesla battery weighs about 1,200 pounds, as does an EV1 battery.
Both of these batteries weigh more than the entire drive train and fuel supply of the IC engines they are trying to replace. Again, that is just the battery, and not even counting the rest of the electric drive train.

For example
Honda B16 performance 4cyl IC engine 309 pounds
Transmission 110 pounds
20 gallons of fuel 160 pounds
Total 579 pounds

The Tesla 'fuel' supply alone weighs more than double the comparable IC engine, transmission and fuel combined weight.

So let's just say my combined (wet) drive train and fuel supply weighs 4,500 pounds, which is about 1/8th my GVW. If you ask me, that isn't very much given the utility of being able to fuel up in about 15 minutes, after driving 800 miles.
I would guess the electric bus drive train capable of going 800 miles hauling a 'live in' quality coach body would be well in excess of 12,000 pounds. That is almost half the GVW of the 35,000 pound coach. Not going to leave much for the coachworks and cargo.

How long do you think that 800 mile battery would take to charge?
You can charge a Tesla in about a half hour using a 'super charger', but they don't recommend doing this on a regular basis.
Using the recommended normal charger takes 8-12 hours @ 240V, and 20-40 hours @ 120V.
Best case scenario 150 miles of driving, 8 hours of charging.
That works out to 1 hour of charging for every 19 miles driven.

Let's apply that to the electric 800 mile unicorn coach. An 800 mile trip would require a 42 hour charge cycle. Remember that is based on the best case scenario for a Tesla.
If we take the average on the Tesla (10 hours), that is one hour of charging for every 15 miles driven.
When we apply that to the unicorn coach, we're looking at a 53 hour charging cycle. While there may be people out there that this type of travel workflow might be OK, it is far from ideal for the average user, which means far from ideal for a manufacture.

Things are, the way they are for a reason. If you want a live in coach, built well enough to last for a reasonable amount of time, and want the most efficient, convenient and flexible source of power, diesel is the winner. The whole point of the coach is the box you live in. As soon as you try and go electric to move that box, your trip, your life, all of it has to revolve around the drive train. In a diesel you can change you plans mid trip, go farther, go somewhere there isn't electricity, etc without fretting about the batteries.
It will likely stay this way until there is some huge break thru in batteries, and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

MinntoMich 10-22-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjbales (Post 5959048)
I worked at a Plymouth/Dodge dealership as Office Manager and all I saw coming in for repairs day in and day out were Chrysler products.

Best cars I've ever owned were either Mopar (pre-Cerebus and Fiat) or Fords. I gotta ask... What were you expecting to drive into a Plymouth/Dodge garage for repair?

MinntoMich 10-22-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Buy used and save thousands+++. Be handy and save thousands more. Buy old and be reassured that the chassis manufacturer made millions of them and all the problems and all of the solutions are out there.

Buy a Class A RV because you like to see the country, you in laws think it's neat, your son likes to go anywhere in it as does your dog, every trip is an adventure and it's fun to take road trips in. Wherever you go regardless of how remote you always have a kitchen and restroom.

I suppose it depends on what you want to spend your money on. For me this beats about any other vacation or leisure option out there.

Rjchandler 10-22-2021 02:26 PM

WHY BUY A Class A motorhome?

Hey dont let a little money interfere with a whole lot of happiness is my fortay!!! I had a 5th wheel they are all cheaply made lightweight walls, leaks, I sold it and my pontoon and bought a 40 ft Newmar, used, but I went through it from the ground to the roof and fixed everything, its like a submarine now its not going to leak anywhere. Its a 1999 but its in mint condition now. Ready to go see the United States since I'm retired now, not going to live forever, enjoy your life.

RM Art 10-22-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinntoMich (Post 5959313)
Buy used and save thousands+++. Be handy and save thousands more. Buy old and be reassured that the chassis manufacturer made millions of them and all the problems and all of the solutions are out there.

Buy a Class A RV because you like to see the country, you in laws think it's neat, your son likes to go anywhere in it as does your dog, every trip is an adventure and it's fun to take road trips in. Wherever you go regardless of how remote you always have a kitchen and restroom.

I suppose it depends on what you want to spend your money on. For me this beats about any other vacation or leisure option out there.

IMO... You are exactly correct!!

However - gotta say... as an additional input to your last paragraph [in bold above]: At least being an equal to a live aboard RV vacation is a live aboard boat vacation! We have one of each! Fun x 2!! Wish we had more time for each.

With that said... to quote you: "Buy used and save thousands+++. Be handy and save thousands more. Buy old and be reassured that the chassis manufacturer made millions of them and all the problems and all of the solutions are out there." - - - It is the same thing for boats too. Cars and trucks also, for that matter!!

Buy Smart! Be Happy!!

RoadTrip2084 10-22-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjbales (Post 5959048)
This post reminds me of my first job out of college. I worked at a Plymouth/Dodge dealership as Office Manager and all I saw coming in for repairs day in and day out were Chrysler products. Every day -- a Dodge would come in, then a Plymouth, and they just kept coming. I swore up and down that I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product because of that.

As a Toyota owner, I think you had it straight in the first place... :dance:

Roadmiester 10-22-2021 08:02 PM

Buy quality, used. Yeah, you don't get a "factory 1 year we'll fix it" warranty, but then, you're still making payments while it sits there waiting in the que to get fixed. And on the road?? A factory "authorized" repair center. Good luck.
We bought used after looking at the "new stuff". Updated all the TV's, washer and dryer and dishwasher. New batteries and tires. Don't have the fancy touch screen tablets to control everything, and I'm grateful for that. I can replace a switch, but a computer tablet? Forget about it. Todays electronics will be obsolete in 2 or 3 years and no longer supported, then what? 8 years from now your computer controlled toilet quit just after consuming and then evacuating a large mexican meal you had the night before. Sorry about the graphics.
Yea, we got a late 2000 model year, but it's built like a tank, all hardwood throughout and it doesn't rattle and squeak rolling down today's terrible highways.
And it's not cheap, but we're having a ball. Every time we have to go home we can't wait to get back on the road. Over the years we have found the biggest problems is with the "big name" dealers and service centers that have lousy techs and customer service.
One advice to all: Never, never let some tech tell you something can't be fixed. It can. You have to find the right shop with the people that know what they are doing on the older coaches.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty

smkymtnboy 10-23-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcnewbie (Post 5950187)
You don't need the post really. I believe you. This is not going to stop us from moving around in our MH while on the road. We all have to weight the risks. Moving around in my MH (with me driving) is certainly less risky than several other things I enjoy doing.

agree, we all accept some risk everyday!!the other is what lawyers love to hear.

CamJam1 10-23-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5959437)
As a Toyota owner, I think you had it straight in the first place... :dance:

150k miles without problems on my current Chrysler. Last one went 230k requiring nothing more than an electric radiator fan. I gave if to a relative, who drove it until her teenage daughter pulled out in front of a truck and got T-boned.

We have a Toyota in our family too. Not my idea. i like cars that are fun to drive.

D Gardiner 10-23-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBrant (Post 5958852)
I bought a Coachmen Pursuit,..... no idea how it even GOT to California,.... had the dry differential lock up, and had the wheels fall off on the road.

Oh someone on the Ford assembly line will loose their job, for not filling the differential with oil!

TheCatsRV 10-23-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-31D (Post 5958902)
We have used class C, class B, and trailers over the past 30 years, and travelling in a class A is far superior. Sitting 10 ft. in the air, seeing over all other cars and guardarails, surrounded by 50sq. ft of glass is priceless!

I have to agree (not that we've one any trips on our new-to-us Class A) but the solar film on the windshield does obscure the view somewhat. Nowhere as bad (or totally) as on a Class C but still.... I do see why it may be necessary (hasn't been bright & sunny where we are and won't be until March or April).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

radar 10-23-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Headroom (Post 5959283)
How long do you think that 800 mile battery would take to charge?
You can charge a Tesla in about a half hour using a 'super charger', but they don't recommend doing this on a regular basis.
Using the recommended normal charger takes 8-12 hours @ 240V, and 20-40 hours @ 120V.
Best case scenario 150 miles of driving, 8 hours of charging.
That works out to 1 hour of charging for every 19 miles driven..

I don’t anything about the rest of the post as it’s all above my pay grade. But the not recommending supercharging is false. Supercharge as needed. It’s fine. Taxi fleets are becoming a huge market for Teslas all over the world. They supercharge almost exclusively. It’s not uncommon to see Tesla taxis north of 300,000 miles. And I’m sure many will hit double that.

MBrant 10-23-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadrunner (Post 5958876)
It is a lifestyle we want to experience and you should realize the cost before going into it.

The COST? Did I even MENTION cost? No. I said major safety issues on a new coach.

We're not talking wallpaper, we're talking about rebuilding the differential, big fire hazards, etc.

Please read before your write.

MBrant 10-23-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Gardiner (Post 5960151)
Oh someone on the Ford assembly line will loose their job, for not filling the differential with oil!

Yeah, but this affects most gassers on Ford chassis sold in 2020/2021. This is a major recall in progress. But nobody along the line checked the differential oil? Nobody? That's a big QA problem....

The good news is that I spent some of the time doing a REALLY good job of caulking, minor repairs, polishing, and 303ing. And the timing was good - we're getting six inches of rain in the next 18 hrs.

TheCatsRV 10-23-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBrant (Post 5960698)
Yeah, but this affects most gassers on Ford chassis sold in 2020/2021. This is a major recall in progress. But nobody along the line checked the differential oil? Nobody? That's a big QA problem....

Not, unfortunately, new. Over 40 years ago, my sister bought a Chevette new. Same thing happened.

rcnuts 10-24-2021 05:42 AM

To the OP- With respect, you just dont get it! Even with all the headaches encountered with our older coach, WE just can't put a dollar amount (or rationalize) the fun, experience, great times, etc we've had! Ill give our class "A" up when Im no longer able to handle it. Going be a very long time, hopefully!

Jrcwonka 10-24-2021 08:31 AM

I sort of agree, but think electric RVís will be the new and gas/diesel will slowly be phased out.

TexasJeff 10-24-2021 08:50 AM

This appears to be one of those exploding threads where opinions are as varied and numerous as belly-buttons.

My 2 cents and forgive me if this point has already been raised. RVs regardless of type are just a product. The OP is asking about the level of quality compared to passenger cars but this is apples and oranges. Your regular Honda or Chevy passenger car comes off an assembly line. Robotics are employed with much of that assembly with the precision of a machine. RV chassis are of that quality as they're just big trucks with frames ready to be built upon. The difference is the house or camper and that is built by hand. Even the same manufacturer's camper can differ when you have different people building them. They're individually driven, have different skills, different stressors, etc. The house is assembled and looks like the others but each one is subtlety different than the others.

Like buying a new house, you start with what they build and then you work the bugs out of it. So many components with so many areas that can break or malfunction. It's the frustration and the beauty of motorhome ownership.

JV2LY 10-24-2021 11:28 AM

Sure beats hanging at home. If you want adventure you have to be willing to cut loose with the money.

bneiva 10-24-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrcwonka (Post 5960997)
I sort of agree, but think electric RVís will be the new and gas/diesel will slowly be phased out.

I hate to say it but that is going to be the, "next generations" headaches. I do believe the majority of us on this site fail to have the time in front of us to speculate what will be happening down the line.

Bill
03American Tradition - and will drive this one to the bitter end!

radar 10-24-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5961212)
I hate to say it but that is going to be the, "next generations" headaches. I do believe the majority of us on this site fail to have the time in front of us to speculate what will be happening down the line.

Bill
03American Tradition - and will drive this one to the bitter end!

I don’t know what the average age on this site is but I suspect there will be electric EV’s. before the end of this decade. Probably class B type affairs. But EV tow vehicles will be common by the end of this decade for sure. I wouldn’t say it’s common here but we already see EV’s towing little trailers reasonable often at the local supercharger. I think even in 5 years things will be a lot different.

Cloud Dancer 10-24-2021 01:55 PM

So, as it turned out, I made a mistake. But, right now I have no problem that money can't solve.

rcnuts 10-25-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer (Post 5961342)
So, as it turned out, I made a mistake. But, right now I have no problem that money can't solve.

Not sure if your being sarcastic or just being a "realist" but that pretty much sums it up for us!! Well said! :bow:

franklin99 10-25-2021 05:26 PM

We brought ours because the DW likes to go the bathroom without stopping.

TheCatsRV 10-25-2021 06:00 PM

If we're going to talk RVs built by auto companies, what as the build quality of the GMC RV? I imagine it isn't so bad if a reported ~8,500 of the 11,000 built are still running. Some half dozen or so running around my insular region.

Did any other auto manufacturer anywhere other than VW build RV inhouse?

sally.moore 10-26-2021 03:16 PM

We bought a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton in Feb. 2020. It had 11,400 miles on it. We are fulltime.
We wanted the size and all the bling it has. Not sure how many problems the previous owner had but we have had very few. Maybe we are blessed or the original owner got all the bugs worked out. We have been on the road since Feb 2020 and love our RV. Have put 18,000 plus miles on it.

Sullivanclan 10-27-2021 12:33 PM

On our 4th RV in twenty five years. Few issues with any of them, including a Class A.

saddlesore 10-27-2021 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by franklin99 (Post 5962939)
We brought ours because the DW likes to go the bathroom without stopping.

OR.. take a "I Gotta Go Lay Down" nap...
And don't forget about the roast in the crockpot sitting in the sink that will be ready to eat when You park for the night.....

TexasJeff 10-28-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 5965206)
OR.. take a "I Gotta Go Lay Down" nap...
And don't forget about the roast in the crockpot sitting in the sink that will be ready to eat when You park for the night.....

What an excellent idea. Thanks for that! I wonder if we have a thread for RV life hacks?

hattitude 10-28-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5957647)

If you think keeping a Class A on the road is hard work and expensive, try living on a boat for awhile. At least the Class A can't sink.

Famous last words....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d9828ca0_b.jpg

I lived on a boat for 15 years... funny, how I developed the ability to hear running, dripping, leaking water from great distances.... That happens when your house floats...

My wife is amazed how I can hear a dripping faucet at the other side of the house!

Been landlocked for 5 years now, and can STILL hear dripping/leaking water far away...

belfast1949 10-28-2021 09:19 AM

Full Agreement

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcnuts (Post 5960813)
To the OP- With respect, you just dont get it! Even with all the headaches encountered with our older coach, WE just can't put a dollar amount (or rationalize) the fun, experience, great times, etc we've had! Ill give our class "A" up when Im no longer able to handle it. Going be a very long time, hopefully!

When my wife and I decided to give up our camping days and take the plunge into a motorhome we realized what we were getting into. We knew the cost that in many ways could not be justified from a financial planning viewpoint, the potential headaches of ongoing repairs/maintenance of a home hurtling down the highway at 65mph. We realized all that. And here we are 5 years in and the country we have travelled, the magnificent scenery of the USA we have seen and the memories to last more than one lifetime far far outweigh any of the downside. I shudder to think we could have easily talked ourselves out of buying for a multitude of 'good' reasons. So glad we didn't.

77Travco 10-28-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCatsRV (Post 5962975)
Did any other auto manufacturer anywhere other than VW build RV inhouse?

Dodge did it in the early / mid 1960's with the Dodge Motor Home. Here's a vintage Dodge truck ad video. Check out the Dodge Motor Home at 5:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlWeWUD4IA
Travco took the reigns from Dodge a few years later. As part of the loan guarantees to the Chrysler Corporation during its financial crisis in the late 1970s, Chrysler was told to abandon the medium duty truck market (including the Dodge Motorhome Chassis) and concentrate on building light trucks

pallettagger 10-28-2021 03:50 PM

Me I did it because I'm tired of putting up and sleeping in a tent and hang in my butt over a log