iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

Rjchandler 10-22-2021 02:26 PM

WHY BUY A Class A motorhome?

Hey dont let a little money interfere with a whole lot of happiness is my fortay!!! I had a 5th wheel they are all cheaply made lightweight walls, leaks, I sold it and my pontoon and bought a 40 ft Newmar, used, but I went through it from the ground to the roof and fixed everything, its like a submarine now its not going to leak anywhere. Its a 1999 but its in mint condition now. Ready to go see the United States since I'm retired now, not going to live forever, enjoy your life.

RM Art 10-22-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinntoMich (Post 5959313)
Buy used and save thousands+++. Be handy and save thousands more. Buy old and be reassured that the chassis manufacturer made millions of them and all the problems and all of the solutions are out there.

Buy a Class A RV because you like to see the country, you in laws think it's neat, your son likes to go anywhere in it as does your dog, every trip is an adventure and it's fun to take road trips in. Wherever you go regardless of how remote you always have a kitchen and restroom.

I suppose it depends on what you want to spend your money on. For me this beats about any other vacation or leisure option out there.

IMO... You are exactly correct!!

However - gotta say... as an additional input to your last paragraph [in bold above]: At least being an equal to a live aboard RV vacation is a live aboard boat vacation! We have one of each! Fun x 2!! Wish we had more time for each.

With that said... to quote you: "Buy used and save thousands+++. Be handy and save thousands more. Buy old and be reassured that the chassis manufacturer made millions of them and all the problems and all of the solutions are out there." - - - It is the same thing for boats too. Cars and trucks also, for that matter!!

Buy Smart! Be Happy!!

RoadTrip2084 10-22-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjbales (Post 5959048)
This post reminds me of my first job out of college. I worked at a Plymouth/Dodge dealership as Office Manager and all I saw coming in for repairs day in and day out were Chrysler products. Every day -- a Dodge would come in, then a Plymouth, and they just kept coming. I swore up and down that I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product because of that.

As a Toyota owner, I think you had it straight in the first place... :dance:

Roadmiester 10-22-2021 08:02 PM

Buy quality, used. Yeah, you don't get a "factory 1 year we'll fix it" warranty, but then, you're still making payments while it sits there waiting in the que to get fixed. And on the road?? A factory "authorized" repair center. Good luck.
We bought used after looking at the "new stuff". Updated all the TV's, washer and dryer and dishwasher. New batteries and tires. Don't have the fancy touch screen tablets to control everything, and I'm grateful for that. I can replace a switch, but a computer tablet? Forget about it. Todays electronics will be obsolete in 2 or 3 years and no longer supported, then what? 8 years from now your computer controlled toilet quit just after consuming and then evacuating a large mexican meal you had the night before. Sorry about the graphics.
Yea, we got a late 2000 model year, but it's built like a tank, all hardwood throughout and it doesn't rattle and squeak rolling down today's terrible highways.
And it's not cheap, but we're having a ball. Every time we have to go home we can't wait to get back on the road. Over the years we have found the biggest problems is with the "big name" dealers and service centers that have lousy techs and customer service.
One advice to all: Never, never let some tech tell you something can't be fixed. It can. You have to find the right shop with the people that know what they are doing on the older coaches.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty

smkymtnboy 10-23-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcnewbie (Post 5950187)
You don't need the post really. I believe you. This is not going to stop us from moving around in our MH while on the road. We all have to weight the risks. Moving around in my MH (with me driving) is certainly less risky than several other things I enjoy doing.

agree, we all accept some risk everyday!!the other is what lawyers love to hear.

CamJam1 10-23-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5959437)
As a Toyota owner, I think you had it straight in the first place... :dance:

150k miles without problems on my current Chrysler. Last one went 230k requiring nothing more than an electric radiator fan. I gave if to a relative, who drove it until her teenage daughter pulled out in front of a truck and got T-boned.

We have a Toyota in our family too. Not my idea. i like cars that are fun to drive.

D Gardiner 10-23-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBrant (Post 5958852)
I bought a Coachmen Pursuit,..... no idea how it even GOT to California,.... had the dry differential lock up, and had the wheels fall off on the road.
I've put 300 miles on this since April, and it's all going to and coming from the dealer and Ford for warrantee safety issues!

Oh someone on the Ford assembly line will loose their job, for not filling the differential with oil!

TheCatsRV 10-23-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-31D (Post 5958902)
We have used class C, class B, and trailers over the past 30 years, and travelling in a class A is far superior. Sitting 10 ft. in the air, seeing over all other cars and guardarails, surrounded by 50sq. ft of glass is priceless!

I have to agree (not that we've one any trips on our new-to-us Class A) but the solar film on the windshield does obscure the view somewhat. Nowhere as bad (or totally) as on a Class C but still.... I do see why it may be necessary (hasn't been bright & sunny where we are and won't be until March or April).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

radar 10-23-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Headroom (Post 5959283)
How long do you think that 800 mile battery would take to charge?
You can charge a Tesla in about a half hour using a 'super charger', but they don't recommend doing this on a regular basis.
Using the recommended normal charger takes 8-12 hours @ 240V, and 20-40 hours @ 120V.
Best case scenario 150 miles of driving, 8 hours of charging.
That works out to 1 hour of charging for every 19 miles driven..

I don’t anything about the rest of the post as it’s all above my pay grade. But the not recommending supercharging is false. Supercharge as needed. It’s fine. Taxi fleets are becoming a huge market for Teslas all over the world. They supercharge almost exclusively. It’s not uncommon to see Tesla taxis north of 300,000 miles. And I’m sure many will hit double that.

MBrant 10-23-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadrunner (Post 5958876)
It is a lifestyle we want to experience and you should realize the cost before going into it.

The COST? Did I even MENTION cost? No. I said major safety issues on a new coach.

We're not talking wallpaper, we're talking about rebuilding the differential, big fire hazards, etc.

Please read before your write.

MBrant 10-23-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Gardiner (Post 5960151)
Oh someone on the Ford assembly line will loose their job, for not filling the differential with oil!

Yeah, but this affects most gassers on Ford chassis sold in 2020/2021. This is a major recall in progress. But nobody along the line checked the differential oil? Nobody? That's a big QA problem....

The good news is that I spent some of the time doing a REALLY good job of caulking, minor repairs, polishing, and 303ing. And the timing was good - we're getting six inches of rain in the next 18 hrs.

TheCatsRV 10-23-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBrant (Post 5960698)
Yeah, but this affects most gassers on Ford chassis sold in 2020/2021. This is a major recall in progress. But nobody along the line checked the differential oil? Nobody? That's a big QA problem....

Not, unfortunately, new. Over 40 years ago, my sister bought a Chevette new. Same thing happened.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

rcnuts 10-24-2021 05:42 AM

To the OP- With respect, you just dont get it! Even with all the headaches encountered with our older coach, WE just can't put a dollar amount (or rationalize) the fun, experience, great times, etc we've had! Ill give our class "A" up when Im no longer able to handle it. Going be a very long time, hopefully!

Jrcwonka 10-24-2021 08:31 AM

I sort of agree, but think electric RVís will be the new and gas/diesel will slowly be phased out.