iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

TexasJeff 10-24-2021 08:50 AM

This appears to be one of those exploding threads where opinions are as varied and numerous as belly-buttons.

My 2 cents and forgive me if this point has already been raised. RVs regardless of type are just a product. The OP is asking about the level of quality compared to passenger cars but this is apples and oranges. Your regular Honda or Chevy passenger car comes off an assembly line. Robotics are employed with much of that assembly with the precision of a machine. RV chassis are of that quality as they're just big trucks with frames ready to be built upon. The difference is the house or camper and that is built by hand. Even the same manufacturer's camper can differ when you have different people building them. They're individually driven, have different skills, different stressors, etc. The house is assembled and looks like the others but each one is subtlety different than the others.

Like buying a new house, you start with what they build and then you work the bugs out of it. So many components with so many areas that can break or malfunction. It's the frustration and the beauty of motorhome ownership.

JV2LY 10-24-2021 11:28 AM

Sure beats hanging at home. If you want adventure you have to be willing to cut loose with the money.

bneiva 10-24-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrcwonka (Post 5960997)
I sort of agree, but think electric RVís will be the new and gas/diesel will slowly be phased out.

I hate to say it but that is going to be the, "next generations" headaches. I do believe the majority of us on this site fail to have the time in front of us to speculate what will be happening down the line.

Bill
03American Tradition - and will drive this one to the bitter end!

radar 10-24-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5961212)
I hate to say it but that is going to be the, "next generations" headaches. I do believe the majority of us on this site fail to have the time in front of us to speculate what will be happening down the line.

Bill
03American Tradition - and will drive this one to the bitter end!

I don’t know what the average age on this site is but I suspect there will be electric EV’s. before the end of this decade. Probably class B type affairs. But EV tow vehicles will be common by the end of this decade for sure. I wouldn’t say it’s common here but we already see EV’s towing little trailers reasonable often at the local supercharger. I think even in 5 years things will be a lot different.

Cloud Dancer 10-24-2021 01:55 PM

So, as it turned out, I made a mistake. But, right now I have no problem that money can't solve.

rcnuts 10-25-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer (Post 5961342)
So, as it turned out, I made a mistake. But, right now I have no problem that money can't solve.

Not sure if your being sarcastic or just being a "realist" but that pretty much sums it up for us!! Well said! :bow:

franklin99 10-25-2021 05:26 PM

We brought ours because the DW likes to go the bathroom without stopping.

TheCatsRV 10-25-2021 06:00 PM

If we're going to talk RVs built by auto companies, what as the build quality of the GMC RV? I imagine it isn't so bad if a reported ~8,500 of the 11,000 built are still running. Some half dozen or so running around my insular region.

Did any other auto manufacturer anywhere other than VW build RV inhouse?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

sally.moore 10-26-2021 03:16 PM

We bought a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton in Feb. 2020. It had 11,400 miles on it. We are fulltime.
We wanted the size and all the bling it has. Not sure how many problems the previous owner had but we have had very few. Maybe we are blessed or the original owner got all the bugs worked out. We have been on the road since Feb 2020 and love our RV. Have put 18,000 plus miles on it.

Sullivanclan 10-27-2021 12:33 PM

On our 4th RV in twenty five years. Few issues with any of them, including a Class A.

saddlesore 10-27-2021 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by franklin99 (Post 5962939)
We brought ours because the DW likes to go the bathroom without stopping.

OR.. take a "I Gotta Go Lay Down" nap...
And don't forget about the roast in the crockpot sitting in the sink that will be ready to eat when You park for the night.....

TexasJeff 10-28-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 5965206)
OR.. take a "I Gotta Go Lay Down" nap...
And don't forget about the roast in the crockpot sitting in the sink that will be ready to eat when You park for the night.....

What an excellent idea. Thanks for that! I wonder if we have a thread for RV life hacks?

hattitude 10-28-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 (Post 5957647)

If you think keeping a Class A on the road is hard work and expensive, try living on a boat for awhile. At least the Class A can't sink.

Famous last words....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d9828ca0_b.jpg

I lived on a boat for 15 years... funny, how I developed the ability to hear running, dripping, leaking water from great distances.... That happens when your house floats...

My wife is amazed how I can hear a dripping faucet at the other side of the house!

Been landlocked for 5 years now, and can STILL hear dripping/leaking water far away...

belfast1949 10-28-2021 09:19 AM

Full Agreement

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcnuts (Post 5960813)
To the OP- With respect, you just dont get it! Even with all the headaches encountered with our older coach, WE just can't put a dollar amount (or rationalize) the fun, experience, great times, etc we've had! Ill give our class "A" up when Im no longer able to handle it. Going be a very long time, hopefully!

When my wife and I decided to give up our camping days and take the plunge into a motorhome we realized what we were getting into. We knew the cost that in many ways could not be justified from a financial planning viewpoint, the potential headaches of ongoing repairs/maintenance of a home hurtling down the highway at 65mph. We realized all that. And here we are 5 years in and the country we have travelled, the magnificent scenery of the USA we have seen and the memories to last more than one lifetime far far outweigh any of the downside. I shudder to think we could have easily talked ourselves out of buying for a multitude of 'good' reasons. So glad we didn't.