iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

RM Art 10-14-2021 11:16 PM

We're not minimalists nor maxi-mists... but, we are middle-ists!

In that:

We purchase very good condition, well maintained, tested - tried n' true used items; e.g. cars, boats, RV's, houses, motorcycles... etc. And... we save A TON [lots, oodles] of money; along with greatly reduced headaches by doing so!

Takes a bit of looking, shopping, try-outs and finally horse trading purchase price discussions before we lay our "cash" on the table.

Then, we end up with affordable, really cool, super enjoyable THANGS!!

We have class a A RV - cause - It's a goodie we found.

Look carefully. Test fully. Dicker well on price. Enjoy life!! :dance::dance:

Bobby F 10-14-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5949954)
Substitue for Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll

I prefer to think of them as a great addition to the others.

JFXG 10-14-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)
……. it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks……..using cheap components to save money…….lack of suppliers……..a house subjected to earthquake conditions…..,,,,,, my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B…...

I’m confused.:
1. All Class A are junk.
1A. All RVs are junk
2. *MY* Class A units were the best.
3. *MY* Class B unit was the worst.
Conclusion: l’m now driving the Class B.

Isaac-1 10-15-2021 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How else can you sleep in your own bed, have your own kitchen, and real bathroom (not a shower with a toilet in it), and have views like this out your door.

Sweetbriar 10-15-2021 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorfan1 (Post 5949868)
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.

Hmm, had my POS Thor manufactured gas class A for ten seasons now. Never been forced home early, left on the side of the road, had to cancel an outing and has yet to see the parking lot of a service center. I must be doing something wrong.

See you later as it's time to prep for a noon departure for weekend at the beach. :D

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneiva (Post 5949878)
I guess we could all bury our money under the floor boards and admire our wealth..... but that doesn't sound like much fun now, does it?

Silus Marner should had quoted this - but he didn't.

Or we could drive our new Escalade to the Ritz Carleton and not have any problems! :D

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFXG (Post 5950502)
I’m confused.:
1. All Class A are junk.
1A. All RVs are junk
2. *MY* Class A units were the best.
3. *MY* Class B unit was the worst.
Conclusion: l’m now driving the Class B.

Read my post again but slower...

desertdd 10-15-2021 06:48 AM

A class A Rv isn't for everybody. There are people who buy them and shouldn't own one. They are quite complex. I have had plenty of issues in 13 years with our class A and since I am a gear head most of the problems were taken care of by myself. I wouldn't recommend a class A is you are brain dead mechanically or are short on funds. On the other hand we have had great memories from our travels. You could save your money and someday you can be the richest man in the cemetery!:dance:

gatorfan1 10-15-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Travco (Post 5949880)
We've had every type of RV there is. We went back to a class A because my wife likes to be able to get up and move around while going down the road.

True. We like that as well.

Bylandorsea 10-15-2021 07:07 AM

I just love first world problems!

Jzack 10-15-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbriar (Post 5950594)
Hmm, had my POS Thor manufactured gas class A for ten seasons now. Never been forced home early, left on the side of the road, had to cancel an outing and has yet to see the parking lot of a service center. I must be doing something wrong.

See you later as it's time to prep for a noon departure for weekend at the beach. :D

Your 2006 "Thor" was actually built by Damon Motor Coach in their own factory. They were just a subsidiary of Thor (similar to Entegra, Airstream) until the factory closed in 2009. Then came the forced marriage with Four Winds to create Thor Motor Coach.

Damon's quality was actually considered quite good up until that time.

RV_Lee 10-15-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbircky (Post 5950452)
You might be a tad bit off with the weights. There is not one ev that weighs less than a comparable sized ice. Plan on about a 20-25% increase in weight thanks to batteries for the same power and range.

No, not really. How much does the big diesel, transmission and full fuel tank, exhaust etc weigh in your coach? An electric coach can use hub motors or motors in the center section of the differentials (front and rear), then you put the battery pack between the frame rails. It will be lighter, and they're already doing this for buses and keeping the air suspension.

gfmucci 10-15-2021 08:13 AM

People get an RV for the same reason they take a vacation:

It's something "different"; a break from the mundane.

Some like the experience and stay.
Some like it occasionally and go back a few times a year.
Some like it once and sell it and never go back.

Country Road 10-15-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdd (Post 5950649)
A class A Rv isn't for everybody. There are people who buy them and shouldn't own one. They are quite complex. I have had plenty of issues in 13 years with our class A and since I am a gear head most of the problems were taken care of by myself. I wouldn't recommend a class A is you are brain dead mechanically or are short on funds. On the other hand we have had great memories from our travels. You could save your money and someday you can be the richest man in the cemetery!:dance:

And your heirs will by touring the world.