iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Why does anyone buy a Class A? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-does-anyone-buy-a-class-a-557763.html)

GWBGE 10-15-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950707)
No, not really. How much does the big diesel, transmission and full fuel tank, exhaust etc weigh in your coach? An electric coach can use hub motors or motors in the center section of the differentials (front and rear), then you put the battery pack between the frame rails. It will be lighter, and they're already doing this for buses and keeping the air suspension.

I was just going to say that diesel electric busses are currently hitting the market.

As battery and electric motor technology gets more efficient, I can see a class A with all electric drive powered by batteries that can be charged through a combination of plug-in, diesel generator, and solar panels.

I bet we see it in the next 5 to 10 years.

77Travco 10-15-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950074)
They said that about Tesla too. Don't worry, you can re-power the Travco with one of these

How does 700hp sound?

Nope, not for me. Tesla is not the end all solution either. EV's are boring and have no soul, I won't even own an electric golf cart. EV's are just a way to move pollution from one form to another... it's all a shell game. I'll refrain from derailing this thread any further.

77Travco 10-15-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFiver (Post 5950084)
I wish I could find the post where a woman was almost killed doing that after her husband had to suddenly hit the brakes. She had so many serious injuries, she probably wished she was dead.

You should see what we do on our motorcycles... :eek:

Argosy 10-15-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950029)
I envision something between a class A gas and diesel pusher (no need to weigh 35000lbs), electric motors, 650hp, 1800+lbft, 800+ mile range, all built in-house like a Newell, slides that don't break, 80% self driving and other trickery, whole roof solar etc. They will be luxury DP priced initially but will come down in short order.

Quite a few companies tried. They had luxury prices though nowhere near a Newell, upscale and quality were selling points. They went bankrupt or were bought out.

NLOVNIT 10-15-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shootist (Post 5949883)
Because they wanted money when I picked mine up.

Best answer yet.:thumb:

dbircky 10-15-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV_Lee (Post 5950707)
No, not really. How much does the big diesel, transmission and full fuel tank, exhaust etc weigh in your coach? An electric coach can use hub motors or motors in the center section of the differentials (front and rear), then you put the battery pack between the frame rails. It will be lighter, and they're already doing this for buses and keeping the air suspension.

Actually - my physically larger Honda Accord weighs around 500 pounds LESS than a Tesla 3. Additionally the Teslaís maximum base range is 260 miles. The Accordís is over 550 miles.
Another example? Audi Etron weighs 5800 pounds and the same sized Audi A6Allroad weighs 4500 pounds. A difference of 1,300 pounds AND the etron only has a range of 222 miles versus the gasoline power one having a range of 650 miles. The only way to increase range is to increase the number of heavy batteries. Gasoline and diesel have 100 times the energy density (MJ/kg) of a lithium battery.
Electric vehicles may have some advantages, but weight, range, and cost arenít in their favor.
Ask SEPTA about their experience with all electric buses, they are sitting in a storage yard and the diesels continue to operate. The technology has far to go before it reaches the RV market.

Flyer15015 10-15-2021 11:38 AM

So, for motor homes, why could we not copy a diesel locomotive ?
We are already carrying a 5-7.5K generator that literally "sips " gas or diesel.
Big electric motor hooked up to the differential and powered by our generator and a roof full of solar panels, just for back up.
Regenerative braking that throws a bit back in the battery bank in place of a "jake brake" too.
"Take us out Mr. Tsu- luu".

Mike in Colorado

PS; I'll tell you later where to send my commission check.

Jzack 10-15-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer15015 (Post 5950952)
So, for motor homes, why could we not copy a diesel locomotive ?
We are already carrying a 5-7.5K generator that literally "sips " gas or diesel.
Big electric motor hooked up to the differential and powered by our generator and a roof full of solar panels, just for back up.
Regenerative braking that throws a bit back in the battery bank in place of a "jake brake" too.
"Take us out Mr. Tsu- luu".

Mike in Colorado

PS; I'll tell you later where to send my commission check.

I like your idea and have often thought why aren't there diesel-electric trucks on the road. I would have to guess weight is the issue. Batteries and electric motors are very heavy but locomotives have a huge payload capacity to deal with it.

Fiesta48 10-15-2021 01:06 PM

I would never have bought my last 3 Class A RVs without being able to fix 95% of what goes bad. Now it's a full time hobby keeping up these 5. A 28' 5er, a 24' Class B, a 41' DP a 14 year old car and a pick up. A older house and boat.

bneiva 10-15-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzack (Post 5950960)
I like your idea and have often thought why aren't there diesel-electric trucks on the road. I would have to guess weight is the issue. Batteries and electric motors are very heavy but locomotives have a huge payload capacity to deal with it.

Diesel-electric trucks would be extremely expensive to build but like the locomotive, it can be successfully done! However, There is a mindset in certain parts of our country (:D) where words like GASOLINE and DIESEL are bad and must be entirely eliminated! Diesel-electric cars would be phonominal and would absolutely put the Prius to shame in performance and mileage. But again, one of those two dirty words keeps popping up!

As a disclaimer: this is only "my" thought and no other person; be it real, imaginary, or fictional, influenced my way of thinking. In addition; no animals were injured, or killed during the writing of these two paragraphs!

Bill

Jzack 10-15-2021 01:46 PM

We have a local Railroad Company that advertises they can haul 100 tons of freight 400 miles using only 10 gallons of diesel. So I wouldn't doubt if you could scale it down it would be competitive with any gas hybrid on the road today.

ga traveler 10-15-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFiver (Post 5950084)
I wish I could find the post where a woman was almost killed doing that after her husband had to suddenly hit the brakes. She had so many serious injuries, she probably wished she was dead.

Why? The people who use their motorhome while underway (like me) will still walk around the motorhome while underway. People who think it is unsafe will still only walk around when stopped.
Everyone knows it is safer not to get up underway, but most,like me, feel the danger is not that great.
We bought our first motorhome in 1974. A 1972 Open Road. We have always moved about , while underway, in all the motorhomes with no injuries.
It is always about choices.

TheCatsRV 10-15-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzack (Post 5951066)
We have a local Railroad Company that advertises they can haul 100 tons of freight 400 miles using only 10 gallons of diesel. So I wouldn't doubt if you could scale it down it would be competitive with any gas hybrid on the road today.

Relatively-level ground and low rolling friction, as well as priority right of way (no stopping and starting for traffic) helps, which makes rail very efficient compared to trucks. The closest vehicle to a diesel-electric that is/was mass-produced was the Chevy Volt. Gas engine but it was there only as an electrical generator (at least in the 1st generation) and did not propel the vehicle directly. Engine ran at an optimal RPM (whole premise of combustion/generation) to charge the batteries and power the vehicle's electrics.

D-E RVs could be done but probably would cost too much.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/moz-exte...r-marker-1.png

NLOVNIT 10-15-2021 02:59 PM

Folks, please get back on topic.