iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Adjust tire pressure for cold weather?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/adjust-tire-pressure-for-cold-weather-558461.html)

Ray,IN 11-13-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Gloves (Post 5983096)
This is hopeless. Im out.

Ya, when people will not heed the advice of a tire design, construction, and forensics engineer. It's time to bail.

MN_Traveler 11-13-2021 01:24 PM

Die thread ... die.....

Crasher 11-13-2021 04:00 PM

About 75 posts ago, I thought that maybe this umpteenth tire pressure thread would die for lack of participation. Guess I was wrong.

MN_Traveler 11-13-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crasher (Post 5984426)
About 75 posts ago, I thought that maybe this umpteenth tire pressure thread would die for lack of participation. Guess I was wrong.

I think jadatis is going to keep trying to reel people in, unless all just stop trying to respond to him

2cyber71 11-13-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargerman (Post 5956560)
Tire pressures should be set cold and this is why adjustment is usually needed as the seasons change. I wouldn’t adjust if you happen to be traveling to a cooler or warmer area temporarily but if your where you’re going to be then you should adjust pressures based on their cold temperature pressure of the tires

This is the answer.
I just adjusted mine because I’m going to Florida in December
I usually run 105 all around, I was down to 95.
Added enough to get back to 105 for the trip.
It might run a bit high in Florida but I can aways take some out, easier than adding.

jadatis 11-18-2021 09:30 AM

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/t...-in-the-summer

On this page confirmation of my idea.

If the pressure is measured at +20C (garage temperature in the morning), tyres should be inflated at recommended manufacturer's tyre pressure (for example, 2.0 bar). If the temperature drops to 0C, pressure of 1.8 bar should not be increased.

If the outside temperature rose to +40C pressure of 2.2 bar should not be lowered.
End quote

Given in international standard ( exept America and some other countries) degrC and bar, but the idea stays the same.
And can be that they read my idea once and worked it out. Mailed them to ask what their credentials where on this subject, but did not receve an answer yet.

Mayby its a real Dutch attitude to dare to discuss with the boss.

MN_Traveler 11-18-2021 10:47 AM

Jadatis - you are making a fool of yourself. If you really read and understand the article, you will see that they are making exactly the opposite point of the nonsense you are trying to sell. On top of that, their use of 20C is an EXAMPLE, not a standard.

Dutch attitude??? I have known quite a few people from the Netherlands. In fact, I have sat as an examiner on a PhD exam at Utrecht. The people from the Netherlands are quite, quite intelligent and would not spout the nonsense you keep repeating.

jadatis 11-18-2021 11:25 AM

If the pressure is measured at +20C (garage temperature in the morning), tyres should be inflated at recommended manufacturer's tyre pressure (for example, 2.0 bar). If the temperature drops to 0C, pressure of 1.8 bar should not be increased.

If the outside temperature rose to +40C pressure of 2.2 bar should not be lowered.
End quote

My opinion is that this quote has no Chinese in it.
It states that the 2.2 bar measured at 40degrC should not be lowered ( to 2.0 bar) . My statement is that you certainly must not lower it to 2.0 bar then.

And the 1.8 bar at 0 degrC ( 32 degrF) should not be increased( but I state that it is allowed for roadhandling and fuelsaving)

So same statement as I give, and not the opposite.

Ray,IN 11-20-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadatis (Post 5989845)

End quote

My opinion is that this quote has no Chinese in it.
It states that the 2.2 bar measured at 40degrC should not be lowered ( to 2.0 bar) . My statement is that you certainly must not lower it to 2.0 bar then.

And the 1.8 bar at 0 degrC ( 32 degrF) should not be increased( but I state that it is allowed for roadhandling and fuelsaving)

So same statement as I give, and not the opposite.

I would agree with your two sentences beginning with IF. Never start out with tire pressure lower than the minimum required for the load.

The article you linked to is wrong about a tire rupturing from excessive air pressure for the scenario it describes.
Here are two articles to read:
https://www.rvtravel.com/rver-concer...sure-increase/
https://www.cartalk.com/content/it-p...ssure-find-out

jadatis 11-20-2021 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There where 3 ifs, the first 2 in 1 alinea.
But I just picked out of that article , wich comfirmed what I state.

Higher cold pressure then behind AT ( D-load AT 80 psi) was allowed in earlyer days .

Can present you an old document of Michelin in wich up to 40% more cold, and then standing still ( speed zero) 2times the maxload allowed.
Also in that lower pressure for lower speed, down to 20kmph/ 12.5mph) on road, wich gives much more deflection.

Also the ST was allowed 10 psi more cold, so then 90 psi for a AT 80 psi tire. Meanth for 75mph instead of 65, but secretly you can use it for what you want.

In Europe the tyres in the Continental-groop give right behind the service descriptions the referencepressure in psi, and somewhere else on sidewall the "maximum inflation pressure " of 10 psi more. Enlarge the 2 pictures to read it.

And I once read from a tete a tette between Tireman9 and Capriracer that tires have teststandard that they must stand 2 to 3 times the reference-pressure.

If you would fill the tire at 32 degrF / zero degrC with 40% more then reference-pressure ( 1.4 x80 psi = 112psi) and incidentially the temp in tire rises to 212 degrF/ 100degrC, the pressure rises to a smal 2 times reference ( 158.4psi for the AT 80 psi E-load tire) , so yust within the teststandard.

So its not the pressure that destroys the tire but the temperature of tire material ( and not the air inside)

The tire then blows or treath seperates at extreme situation like hot day, but the real cource is overheating long time ago ( my opinion)

Once had it with my bicycle, stopped on a hot day day driving home from work to see where the noice came from saw the inner tire blowing up trought a ripp in outer tire , and it blew, so had to walk home. Already saw earlyer crackes in outer tire, so damaged.