iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV'ing with Pets (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Dogs In and Out (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f97/dogs-in-and-out-558510.html)

Lelah 10-20-2021 04:20 PM

Dogs In and Out

How does everyone get their smaller dogs into and out of their class A? The steps in the stairwell are much too high for both my mini dachshund and my corgi. I've searched a LOT on the internet and can't seem to find a magic device for this. My back is not going to withstand a week of lifting these 2 chubby guys in and out.

rffowler55 10-20-2021 04:36 PM

We carry a portable step that spans the same width as the coach's steps and is about 8 inches in height. Our two small dogs have no issues as long as the additional step is used.

Lelah 10-20-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rffowler55 (Post 5957016)
We carry a portable step that spans the same width as the coach's steps and is about 8 inches in height. Our two small dogs have no issues as long as the additional step is used.

rffowler55 Does that go on the inside or outside of the motorhome?

Old-Biscuit 10-20-2021 05:19 PM

Diet so you can pick them up

Mini and corgi
How much can they weigh?

I had to build a ramp for our Border Collie/Lab (78#) when she started having issues with her hips
4' long/just wide enough to set inside door way of 5th wheel/indoor-outdoor carpet for gripping
She went in/out on her own for couple yrs.
Used it for rear door of truck for her to get up into rear seat also

Commercial ramps were too wide.
Easy to just build one that fits.

ArtJoyce 10-20-2021 05:26 PM

When the leg was giving the lad an issue we bought an aluminum ramp. But she would not use it. I had to life her up 4 plus steps. That was getting old.

Lelah 10-20-2021 05:34 PM

Old-Biscuit You must be younger than me or have a better back!
The Corgi is 30# and the dachsy is 18# but bending over to lift 30# 4-5 times a day and flinging her up and into the MH just isn't something my back will handle day after day. :blush:

Lelah 10-20-2021 05:37 PM

I did buy a ramp and both the dogs are getting used to it at home before we leave on our long trip but it's the steps inside the MH that are causing us problems. The ramp goes from the ground to bottom of the stairwell of the MH but both dogs have squatty little legs and can't get up the two 9 inch steps in the stairwell.

Old-Biscuit 10-20-2021 05:51 PM

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.986785fc...res=1&sresct=1

Domo 10-20-2021 06:27 PM

I'm thinking of a sling and ceiling mounted pulley?

If the dog wears a harness - the kind with a handle centered on the back - a hook and pulley might do the trick - assuming they're okay with being picked up by the handle - otherwise, they may need a blindfold.

Nope - never saw one other than for pulling engines and heavier - but I bet there's someone that's clever enough to put in a miniature rail and pulley...

Hpozzuoli 10-20-2021 06:30 PM

Get a real dog instead of a barking cat.

RiverBurt 10-20-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli (Post 5957149)
Get a real dog instead of a barking cat.

They get hip dysplasia. Back to square one.

Lelah 10-20-2021 06:39 PM

Well EXCUUUSE me Hpozzuoli!! (Said with a very poor Steve Martin accent) :knuppel2:

Lelah 10-20-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domo (Post 5957147)
I'm thinking of a sling and ceiling mounted pulley?

If the dog wears a harness - the kind with a handle centered on the back - a hook and pulley might do the trick - assuming they're okay with being picked up by the handle - otherwise, they may need a blindfold.

Nope - never saw one other than for pulling engines and heavier - but I bet there's someone that's clever enough to put in a miniature rail and pulley...

Domo......Hmmmm......going to have to give that some thought.
Am I the only one with this problem??

RiverBurt 10-20-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelah (Post 5957161)
Domo......Hmmmm......going to have to give that some thought.
Am I the only one with this problem??

No, as my wife’s in a wheelchair. We use, in fact, a hoist rig. A smaller, manual version mounted above the entry door is a brilliant and practical idea, based on my experience in the motorhome and elsewhere.