iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Air bag replacement (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/air-bag-replacement-558582.html)

kengardner 10-21-2021 07:14 AM

Air bag replacement

Hi , I have been looking at quite a few pre 2012 DPs and am curious about the longevity of the air bags and if any of you have had to replace them and what the approximate cost is. I am leaning towards the tag axle models and a few have up to 10 air bags so if they go bad it could add up to big $$$. I have no knowledge of this subject but have had air bags on pickup trucks go bad after 5 or so years. I did look at one that seemed to be sagging on one side so I thought maybe the air bags were leaking and ran away. Any thoughts ? Ken

oldmattb 10-21-2021 08:39 AM

We have had two air suspension coaches. I replaced the air bags at just under 20 years of age. They were ugly, but still working.

On our current coach, the air bags were about $100 each, and I replaced them myself.

I suspect you can put replacement off for another five years, if there is no visible damage. (Assuming 2012ish vintage!)

jacwjames 10-21-2021 08:41 AM

I had seen several posts on people replacing airbags on their coaches and actually posted a question on this. One recommendation was to inspect and check for air leaks using soapy water. So that's what I did and overall my ~20 year old air bags looked good so I decided not to replace. But I did go ahead and buy 2 spares and now carry them. I paid ~$311 for two. I believe I could replace if necessary, I carry enough tools to do it if I'm stranded and/or take it to a shop.

kengardner 10-21-2021 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info, PHEW !! I was afraid it would be one of those $800 per bag dealer repair things and take 3 months.

mj6599 10-21-2021 09:55 AM

I had to replace an air bag on the rear and it cost around $250, That's not the issue it is finding one in stock. I have been waiting to get 1 since July from Firestone, I got lucky and found 1 to fixed the bad one but waiting for the other. I have a 6 year old MH and what happened to mine was the rubber separated from the metal base.

Gary RVRoamer 10-21-2021 01:22 PM

Any heavy duty truck shop can replace air bags if you don't want to DIY. I would avoid an RV dealer for any & all chassis repair items.

CountryB 10-21-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengardner (Post 5957549)
Hi , I have been looking at quite a few pre 2012 DPs and am curious about the longevity of the air bags and if any of you have had to replace them and what the approximate cost is.

My Coach is 16 years old and the air bags still look good.
I suppose they last so long because they are mounted "under" the coach, so out of the damaging UV rays (unlike tires). Same for the rubber hoses and lines under there.

vito.a 10-22-2021 12:53 PM

Air bags on heavy diesel coaches are the same as Class 8 Semi Truck air bags. Not the same as the ones on a Pickup truck. They have a double layer and will continue to hold air even if the outer layer begins cracking.

The rest of the air ride system does require periodical maintenance. There are several air solenoids as well as air line connectors that have o rings that require replacing. Like Gary says, most any heavy truck shop can work on this system but sometimes it's difficult to find one. Many of us do it ourselves.
Hope this helps.

Dunrollin 10-22-2021 01:15 PM

If I can do it, you can. One ruptured on my 2002 last year so this 74 year old guy did it. In addition to the air bags you will need appropriate tools. In my case I had to drop the front axle which required removing nuts torqued to 250 ft pounds back nearly 20 years ago.