iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Aux Batteries not charging (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/aux-batteries-not-charging-559237.html)

JimOsburnID 10-26-2021 04:57 PM

Aux Batteries not charging

I have a 2003 Sea Breeze 31 ft RV. The converter plugs into a two plug outlet in the same compartment that the BCC is located. When I am plugged into shore power, I have power to all AC components but The outlet has no power, and since the converter plugs into it the converter is not powered causing the batteries not to charge either. I have checked plugged into the generator and I still seem to have all AC components working but still no power to the outlet with same results, no charging. The aux batteries do charge when the engine is running. I have checked the breakers in the bedroom panel and reset them, none were tripped. Any ideas? we did just get this RV recently and did camp through some heavy rain this past weekend.

twinboat 10-26-2021 05:42 PM

Look for a GFCI outlet or two that may need reseting.
Does your outside outlet have power ?

JimOsburnID 10-26-2021 05:52 PM

I checked the GFCI and reset them. I have no outside outlets on the RV but the outlet inside the BCC compartment where ther converter plugs in. It is a normal 110 outlet, but no power when plugged into shore power. Inside AC components seem fine and working.

Ljwt330 10-26-2021 07:46 PM

Has the converter ever worked on ac power?

Two thoughts come to mind. First, there may be a circuit breaker on the inverter that has tripped. Second, possibly the wiring at the outlet is bad or, if that outlet is at the end of a daisy chain, the outlet before it has a disconnected wire.

JimOsburnID 10-26-2021 10:10 PM

The outlet has worked and I assume that the batteries were charging. I recently installed an inverter and while testing it, I hooked a battery charger into that outlet (two plug-ins) to connect to the battery that was powering the inverter. Sometime during that process the outlet is no longer powered. The inverter is connected to a separate battery and not plugged into the outlet.

JimOsburnID 10-27-2021 12:04 PM

Fixed!

I am happy to report that the problem is fixed. Turns out that it was a very simple solution. I cycled the disconnect/battery buttons on the entry panel and the outlet had power and the converter was running. Thank you for all the good ideas to check.

Ljwt330 10-27-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimOsburnID (Post 5965091)
I am happy to report that the problem is fixed. Turns out that it was a very simple solution. I cycled the disconnect/battery buttons on the entry panel and the outlet had power and the converter was running. Thank you for all the good ideas to check.

Good news, maybe.

Your previous post indicates that the converter is plugged into the outlet that is wired to the new inverter, and that you are on shore power. Typically, that shore power should pass through your new inverter straight to the outlet, but it did not do so. Then you cycled the battery disconnect switch and everything worked.

It's not clear why the battery disconnect would affect the pass through of the ac to the new inverter. Typically, AC will be throughout the coach regardless of whether or not the battery cut-off switch is ON.

Can we assume your inverter must have DC power to allow AC to pass through, or can we assume that the battery to which the inverter is connected is supplying the AC to the outlet?

If it's the former, that is a bit different. If it is the latter, that sets up a "perpetual motion" where the inverter battery powers the converter which is charging the inverter battery. Of course, that does not work.

Can you clarify this a bit?

fredbon 10-27-2021 01:38 PM

Hey Jim, for several years we would stay a couple of days at the Blue Anchor Park, how are things now?

Fred

JimOsburnID 10-28-2021 10:59 AM

The Blue Anchor is still a very nice park, and appears to be doing well...:)

m.elliott63 11-02-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljwt330 (Post 5965106)
Good news, maybe.

Your previous post indicates that the converter is plugged into the outlet that is wired to the new inverter, and that you are on shore power. Typically, that shore power should pass through your new inverter straight to the outlet, but it did not do so. Then you cycled the battery disconnect switch and everything worked.

It's not clear why the battery disconnect would affect the pass through of the ac to the new inverter. Typically, AC will be throughout the coach regardless of whether or not the battery cut-off switch is ON.

Can we assume your inverter must have DC power to allow AC to pass through, or can we assume that the battery to which the inverter is connected is supplying the AC to the outlet?

If it's the former, that is a bit different. If it is the latter, that sets up a "perpetual motion" where the inverter battery powers the converter which is charging the inverter battery. Of course, that does not work.

Can you clarify this a bit?

I would have had that "perpetural motion" power loop where the inverter was trying to power the converter/charger that you mentioned. I installed an inverter in my 1998 Sea Breeze with the output going to an ATS that IU also installed. That way whether power is coming from the generator, inverter, or shore power it is automatically rounted to the main ac breaker box. I had the same situation that the OP described where the converter/charger was plubgged into a dedicated outlet in the compartment where it and the BCC was located. My solution was to install a switch inline to the outlet power feed and located it inside the entry way. This way when the inverter is powered on, I can turn off power to the converter/charger outlet (i.e. powedr supply) and break the loop.