iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Slides out first. The eternal question! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slides-out-first-the-eternal-question-55935.html)

scepter 08-11-2009 01:54 PM

Slides out first. The eternal question!

On my 2001 Scepter, the owner's manual is clear.

Upon arrival:
1. Put the slides out
2. Air down the suspension
3. Level the motorhome

Upon leaving:
1. Raise the jacks
2. Air up the suspension
3. Put the slides in

When leaving this means that you have to start the engine twice.

You have to start it once in order to air up the suspension, but you have to shut it down afterwards because you can't put the slides in while the engine is running. The switches are inoperatives.

After the slides are in, you then start the engine again and hit the road.

Is that what everybody is doing? Having to start the engine twice, that is?

Ray

maint1 08-11-2009 02:17 PM

My manual on my 2002 monoco windsor says the same thing, so thats what I do. I agree it's kind of a pain to start the engine twice but it's the only way I know of to do it.

JFC 08-11-2009 02:23 PM

We have a 2007 Scepter and our manual is the same. We do start engine twice when leaving, but it's no big deal.

bullydogs1 08-11-2009 02:28 PM

Someone has always told air first.

So I put out slides, dump air, then level...

when I leave, I air up, retract the levelers , then put slides in...

With LCI levelers the engine has to be running to work the levelers..kind of a PITA but nothing I can't live with.

scepter 08-11-2009 04:19 PM

It is the same with me. I can live with that. I was just wondering if it was the case with everybody else.
The Roadmaster seems to be unique in the sequence.

Ray

powerboatr 08-11-2009 05:05 PM

mine isnt a HR
but
my slides are locked out with the engine running as well,
sooooo

its dump the bags
level the coach
kill engine
apply shore power or genny, we have six slides and after all run out it pretty much puts a hurting on the batteries charge so i use shore power or genny.
run out slides

enjoy

seems stupid to keep starting and stopping the engine.
i guess engineers are smarter ;)

H. Miller 08-11-2009 06:19 PM

As part of this discussion, how do you "air down the suspension/deflate the bags"?
Our Air Dump Sw. would take forever.

bullydogs1 08-11-2009 07:53 PM

Don't laugh this works.....engine is running and I hit air dump switch and hold....see coach go down and then I use brake pedal and get pressure to 65 (just when bells start)...then I use the auto level button on the LCI's and keep brake pedal moving...also the LCI's when engaged "holds" the air dump in the auto mode..by the time the levelers give me a green lite...I'm at very little or no air...like I said a strange way to get things done, but it does get it done..there is a way to over-ride the LCI low voltage light, but I'm not going to mess with it.

RRTraveler 08-11-2009 08:10 PM

Just curious...

I'm not a Monaco owner and I have read before the sequence to slide out operation and air down. Setting aside the owners manual...what is the logic behind extending the slideouts before airing down and leveling? I would think it would make more sense to stabalize your rig before extending the slideouts. I own a Mandalay and I don't believe the owners manual dictates the sequence. Also, the slideouts do not lockout with the engine running.

Again, I'm just curious.

bullydogs1 08-11-2009 08:18 PM

Monaco is very adamant about the slides out first and in last thing..I think because of the inherent design of the walls/box thing that they insist it is better for coach and other items that it be done this way. Someone once got a designer at Monaco to chime in at this..but god only knows now where he is..oh yeah--Navistar resolved itself of the liability to tell us how to level (don't get me started)

powerboatr 08-11-2009 08:23 PM

my bags drop to flat in about 45 seconds,

the logic on slides out then leveling??? who knows which is best

one would think that the coach needs to be stable before moving out heavy (full wall) or large slides, my slides (6) are not huge by any means and could probably not hurt anything popping them out first
but that would require me to kill the engine, then restart to level the coach, that to me is a waste of fuel, so i drop the bags, level then slide the slides.
each coach is different, like i said earlier 6 slides takes a toll on my batteries so i try to have shore power on or the genny running when i deploy the slides

Robin_M 08-11-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerboatr (Post 533337)
one would think that the coach needs to be stable before moving out heavy (full wall) or large slides, my slides (6) are not huge by any means and could probably not hurt anything popping them out first

Monaco is probably the only manufacturor to recomend that slides get extended first. Their theory is (was) that the coach is never more stable than when it is sitting firmly on all four wheels with the bags extended to full ride height. It does not matter if the coach is level or not. There are other reasons they gave as well, but I think that was the main one. It is a contested issue in the industry. Not everyone agrees with that theory. Also, I believe you are correct in that the shorter the slide, the less it really matters.

MonacoMama 08-11-2009 10:25 PM

Here is a Good Detailed Reason....

Please read Post 8 of this previous thread. This thread has some good information ...and believe me ....Monaco was always adamant..."FIRST OUT-LAST IN" has been drilled into my brain over and over from hearing it being told to all visitors and owners at the Diamond Hill Service Center!

Dutch Star Don 08-11-2009 11:14 PM

One of the reasons we saw/heard was that the coaches are assembled and the slides squared in their openings with the coach in the aired up/drive position.

My explanation - When on uneven pavement/campsite, your frame is supported by your tires and suspension. They adjust/compensate via the air bags to a certain degree, keeping the frame straight. The suspension is doing the adjustment, not the chassis.

When you use your jacks, (BOLTED TO THE CHASSIS) they are moving the chassis around and tweaking it to level the coach, forcing the slide openings out of square and in the past, breaking/popping windshields.

When you put the slides out first, they are extending in square openings and then tweaked once they're in place, instead of being pushed through crooked openings.

When we park, I hook up my power cord and water lines prior to extending the slides. This is easier on the old guys because you don't have to duck under the slides to hook up your utilities. It also lets me extend the slides with power hooked up and the battery charger running.

When I break camp, I start the coach and let the air start to lift the coach and jacks off the ground, then I hit the retract all button. This reduces the violent drop of the coach when the jacks retract.

Once I'm aired up I bring in the slides and then disconnect my utilities for the same reasons listed above.