iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV'ing with Pets (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Presa Canerio (Mastif) (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f97/presa-canerio-mastif-562062.html)

Meseyside 11-19-2021 05:35 PM

Presa Canerio (Mastif)

I have a 3y Presa and I have noticed a lot of campsites in the USA Florida area have them on a restricted dog list. I have emailed the sites and let them know the Presa I have is a Gentle Giant. Extremely well trained suck of a dog that almost never barks. Never fought with other dogs on walks or in parks and yet they still don't allow them in the park.

Has anyone else gone through this with larger dogs. They also have German Shepard's, Rottweilers, and other such breads on the no go list.

rk911 11-19-2021 06:29 PM

an exception for one person opens the door for everyone. many people have been bitten or charged by dogs owners claimed were gentle.

George Schweikle 11-19-2021 07:04 PM

The restricted dog list is established by the campground's insurance company. There is more than one company, so different campgrounds have different lists. We have always had German Shepherds and have been restricted from some campgrounds, yet accepted by others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meseyside (Post 5991387)
I have a 3y Presa and I have noticed a lot of campsites in the USA Florida area have them on a restricted dog list. I have emailed the sites and let them know the Presa I have is a Gentle Giant. Extremely well trained suck of a dog that almost never barks. Never fought with other dogs on walks or in parks and yet they still don't allow them in the park.

Has anyone else gone through this with larger dogs. They also have German Shepard's, Rottweilers, and other such breads on the no go list.

Old-Biscuit 11-19-2021 08:23 PM

YEP....Not just FL either

CGs Insurance Underwriters have placed the dog breed restrictions on the CGs
If they violate their policy requirements the Insurance can drop them/not cover them and other insurance companies can increase premiums based on past history
Not a good move for a business

Insurance companies can also place those dog breed restrictions on Home Owners Policies

Below is a list of dog breeds that are often restricted
Akita
Alaskan Malamute
American Pit Bull Terrier
Chow Chow
Cane Corso
Doberman Pinscher
German Shepherd
Great Dane
Presa Canarios
Rottweiler
Siberian Husky
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Wolf Hybrid

Mixed breeds included.

Based on claims filed/damages done/stats of aggression.

Personally I wish 'ankle biters' were on that list

Meseyside 11-20-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk911 (Post 5991430)
an exception for one person opens the door for everyone. many people have been bitten or charged by dogs owners claimed were gentle.

Thanks for replying however I wasn't looking or asking for an exception to a rule just others experiences regarding this. New to RVing with a dog so the explanation re: insurance restrictions makes more sense.

Thx.

fcbbob15 11-20-2021 06:33 AM

I can't think of a campground that has asked what kind of dog do you have. I must go to the wrong campgrounds. I have two Labs and a Jack Russell. Not sure why a campground would be liable for your dog but in today's sue happy world who knows.

Old-Biscuit 11-20-2021 08:45 AM

CG has Liability for their 'guests' ....so does one at their S&B when someone is on your property

bentjm 11-30-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcbbob15 (Post 5991711)
I can't think of a campground that has asked what kind of dog do you have. I must go to the wrong campgrounds. I have two Labs and a Jack Russell. Not sure why a campground would be liable for your dog but in today's sue happy world who knows.

They may not ask, but they have the breed restrictions listed somewhere.

Meseyside 12-01-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentjm (Post 6001732)
They may not ask, but they have the breed restrictions listed somewhere.

It's in there pets policy. I went through it first as I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issues when arriving. I found a different site that also had the restrictions listed but said they would waiver them as long as the dog was calm and well behaved.